Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

A baked potato fills up 3.

My minecraft server has been down for 3 months, I'm building an Intel NUC and plan to put it back up on that shortly.

How do I get potatoes and carrots?
Are they live, or just in the snapshot?

For info, I have an established world and I really don't want to start a new one.

Is there a way to reseed new ores and poo poo through an existing world? Is there a way to reset portions of the map to unexplored?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Tombot posted:

If you can plant things from under a block with a dispencer I'll be happy.

I would assume it would behave as though you right clicked whichever side of the block that you're using. What happens right now if you right click the side or bottom of a tilled dirt block right now?

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

BitBasher posted:

How do I get potatoes and carrots?
Are they live, or just in the snapshot?

They're live as of 1.4.2. You can find them in NPC village farms (only newly-generated ones of course) or as rare drops from zombies.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Tombot posted:

If you can plant things from under a block with a dispencer I'll be happy.
I I think I saw Etho or Sethbling try this and it did not work. They were going for a discrete tree farm or something.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Roundboy posted:

Has anybody tried automated planting yet?

I've only seen bonemeal and harvest. With a absurd number of redstone devices

You just need comparators, I mean you're right you do need an absurd amount of them, but you don't need to build a bunch of complex circuits or anything. Just a comparator for every dispenser.

stuxracer posted:

I I think I saw Etho or Sethbling try this and it did not work. They were going for a discrete tree farm or something.

Yeah, right now bonemeal won't go through the bottom of a block, if they change it so things can be planted, I'd hope they'd change that as well. Or else in order to have an automated farm you'll only be able to do a single row, with one dispenser on top, and another to the side.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Does anyone know where to find a 3D ellipse generator? I used to have one, but the website is no longer up.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Jelly posted:

Does anyone know where to find a 3D ellipse generator? I used to have one, but the website is no longer up.

http://www.plotz.co.uk/plotz.php

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Thanks, I swear I was looking at that earlier today and all they had were spheres, towers and observatories.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
Been playing on a private server for a few months now and one the the guys posted a video of what he and a buddy of his have made on the server. Keep in mind, this server is 100% vanilla, not one single mod installed. Every single one of those blocks were mined/placed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f9_1tHPoks

edit: skip to around 3:30 for the good stuff

Howmuch fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 30, 2013

SMP
May 5, 2009

The server I play on (http://westeroscraft.com) just got some new renders up of our big server builds (we're building Westeros from A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones :spergin:). They hit reddit's frontpage and now our server is being DDoS'd from the sheer amount of people attempting to connect. We hit our player cap of 150 as well. Seen below are renders from our biggest project to date: King's Landing. Took over 4 months and more than a hundred builders to finish. The other build is the Dreadfort, seat of House Bolton in the North.

http://imgur.com/a/XfCkQ

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SMP posted:

The server I play on (http://westeroscraft.com) just got some new renders up of our big server builds (we're building Westeros from A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones :spergin:). They hit reddit's frontpage and now our server is being DDoS'd from the sheer amount of people attempting to connect. We hit our player cap of 150 as well. Seen below are renders from our biggest project to date: King's Landing. Took over 4 months and more than a hundred builders to finish. The other build is the Dreadfort, seat of House Bolton in the North.

Please tell me you guys took a bunch of screenshots of all this stuff under construction so you can do your own take on the opening sequence.

SMP
May 5, 2009

quiggy posted:

Please tell me you guys took a bunch of screenshots of all this stuff under construction so you can do your own take on the opening sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELlW9eoqiHKuA

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

SMP posted:

The server I play on (http://westeroscraft.com) just got some new renders up of our big server builds

Please tell me its a creative server... because otherwise, holy poo poo! :stare:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I recall seeing a blocky version of the Wall done with a similar rendering technique, I assume it's from that server?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Soooo yes? You'll make one?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quiggy posted:

They can destroy it and then play the video in reverse :v:

SMP
May 5, 2009

Hempuli posted:

I recall seeing a blocky version of the Wall done with a similar rendering technique, I assume it's from that server?

Yep, although that render was from the old version of the Wall. We moved to a new map sometime this summer and redid the wall to what you see in the new render.

Howmuch posted:

Please tell me its a creative server... because otherwise, holy poo poo! :stare:

Thankfully yes, and we employ heavy use of voxel and worldedit :v:

quiggy posted:

I don't think anyone has thought about doing that before, unfortunately all our builds are made already and we didn't have time to film construction time lapses for King's Landing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is it possible to get that texture pack anywhere, or is it custom?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

SMP posted:

-snip-

SMP, do you know what obj exporter that is used for those renders? Also, do those renders use your texture pack? Hard to tell from the distance the shots are taken.

SMP
May 5, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Is it possible to get that texture pack anywhere, or is it custom?

It's a heavily modified Doku Light, custom for the server. You can get it on our website (when it's done being hammered by reddit) or auto-download it when joining.

Enzer posted:

SMP, do you know what obj exporter that is used for those renders? Also, do those renders use your texture pack? Hard to tell from the distance the shots are taken.

I believe it's mcobj > blender, also yeah they use the server texture pack.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

This really reminds me of Anno

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I was there a couple days ago! Looks amazing.

Though walking around the map highlights the fact minecraft does need more decorative crap for worlds, both as furnishings and things in the wilderness. There's only so much you can do with tall grass, shrubs, and flowers.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Jelly posted:

Thanks, I swear I was looking at that earlier today and all they had were spheres, towers and observatories.

Indeed it did. I added the ellipsoid Monday night (GMT). Coming soon will be a (Goon suggested) torus or doughnut model.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Hobo By Design posted:

It breaks whatever is planted there. If the dirt being pushed is under a melon block or pumpkin, they only break if the dirt is pushed up. Tilled farmland stays tilled after being pushed, I think.

This is correct. I built an auto-harvesting wheat farm that uses pistons to push the farmland upwards. Because I'm crazy and even though it uses a ludicrous amount of redstone it looks cool as heck.

BitBasher posted:

Is there a way to reseed new ores and poo poo through an existing world? Is there a way to reset portions of the map to unexplored?

Both of these can be accomplished with MCEdit. There's a Repopulate Chunks flag you can set that will regenerate all ores, trees & world-gen objects, but won't affect existing structures. Just know that if you regen a village on top of a village it will literally place a village ON TOP of the existing village.

To set them to unexplored you can use MCEdit to cull the chunks, and it will regen when you get into range. There's a handy crop function as well, so you can select all the chunks you want to keep, and then delete the others to be regenerated next time they load up.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Boat posted:

Both of these can be accomplished with MCEdit. There's a Repopulate Chunks flag you can set that will regenerate all ores, trees & world-gen objects, but won't affect existing structures. Just know that if you regen a village on top of a village it will literally place a village ON TOP of the existing village.

To set them to unexplored you can use MCEdit to cull the chunks, and it will regen when you get into range. There's a handy crop function as well, so you can select all the chunks you want to keep, and then delete the others to be regenerated next time they load up.

Awesome! Thanks!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I wonder if dinnerbone is trying to make the dispenser, somewhat intelligent. In the current snapshot, it won't dispense bonemeal unless there's a plant that can grow. So perhaps this means in the future, you'll be able to have seeds and bonemeal in the same dispenser... Entire fields of fully automated farms. :allears:

All we need now is apples that physically grow on trees and all my farming dreams would have come true.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
edit: Wow. Wrong thread.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SMP posted:

Wow, is it possible to download this world somewhere and dick around in it?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I have recently discovered the fun of hardcore mode. I pretty much play it like a rougelike, and just get my basic setup (food, torches, iron gear), find the nearest cave, start venturing in and never look back. The farthest I've gotten is to a few diamonds before lava claimed me, but my goal is to eventually...slay the Ender Dragon? Not sure, but it's a fun way to play.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Evan Montegarde posted:

I have recently discovered the fun of hardcore mode. I pretty much play it like a rougelike, and just get my basic setup (food, torches, iron gear), find the nearest cave, start venturing in and never look back. The farthest I've gotten is to a few diamonds before lava claimed me, but my goal is to eventually...slay the Ender Dragon? Not sure, but it's a fun way to play.

Absolutely! I also love that when I leave the house/shelter I built, I know I am never returning. I bring the bare necessities and then just keep on moving. To find interesting land, a cave, mountain, something. Sometimes I've built large houses, grinded for a library, established a nether gate and alchemy. And then I just leave it all one day. I keep moving until I stop. I dig these nightly holes to stay in and leave a torch there when I leave, just because. It makes the game feel very different, the world feel bigger. And when you die, it's all gone, never to be experienced again.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Snapshot 13w05a released, now with fixed lighting on stairs and layered snow (and bug fixes too).

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

fondue posted:

Snapshot 13w05a released, now with fixed lighting on stairs and layered snow (and bug fixes too).

Yes. Finally! Best update ever. :swoon:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Reason posted:

That world is 35 gigs in file size so no.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

fondue posted:

Oh god, this is the Saskatchewan update, isn't it.

How is layered snow going to work if biomes never change seasons?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Reason posted:

Kassad posted:

That world is 35 gigs in file size so no.

Yep. Sorry. You're free to hop on the server and explore to your heart's content though. Granted, the server is at it's player cap of 100 100% of the time (thanks to almost every big gaming site posting about us :smug:), so it can be a bit hard to get in. We restart the server every hour to give new people a chance to connect.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Has anyone else found a swamp house while futzing about in the pre-release? I deleted the world and forgot the seed but it was a small uninhabited hut on stilts with a cauldron inside.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

redmercer posted:

Has anyone else found a swamp house while futzing about in the pre-release? I deleted the world and forgot the seed but it was a small uninhabited hut on stilts with a cauldron inside.

I was under the impression there was supposed to be witches living in them, but I've always found them empty.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, there's witches and they throw potions at you.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Fnoigy posted:

I was under the impression there was supposed to be witches living in them, but I've always found them empty.

They respawn very occasionally, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Dibujante posted:

Oh god, this is the Saskatchewan update, isn't it.

How is layered snow going to work if biomes never change seasons?
It looks like layers of snow are now craftable using 3 snow blocks, similar to how you'd create slabs.