Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

blackflare posted:

My raspberry pi just shipped last week, and it looks like it's arriving within a few more days :woop: I originally bought it as a little dev box to try and learn python with. After skimming through this thread a bit though, I'm curious if I can learn more from it. Basically 80% of this thread I can't make any kind of sense out of and I wish to remedy that. What can I use the GPIO for? Are there any interesting educational materials based around the rpi yet?

GPIO pins are general purpose input/output pins intended to interface with whatever electronics stuff you might hook up to them. They're often used to interface with sensors, LEDs, microcontrollers and the like. A good starting resource for the Raspi is the Raspberry Pi Educational Manual. It has sections for learning Scratch, Python, GPIO stuff and Linux command line things. It looks like they're going to add sections for Greenfoot and GeoGebra in the future, neither of which I know about.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2965

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Thanks, this looks good!

edit: It teaches python 3, lame. I've been learning 2.7. Still, kind of fun, I've been looking at the 3 code and trying to figure out how to translate it back to 2.7 and I figured out a lot of things in the process. So that's cool.

blackflare fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 21, 2013

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

blackflare posted:

My raspberry pi just shipped last week, and it looks like it's arriving within a few more days :woop: I originally bought it as a little dev box to try and learn python with. After skimming through this thread a bit though, I'm curious if I can learn more from it. Basically 80% of this thread I can't make any kind of sense out of and I wish to remedy that. What can I use the GPIO for? Are there any interesting educational materials based around the rpi yet?

The team released an Educational Manual which looks like it might be exactly what you're looking for.

Edit: Beaten like a red-headed stepchild

Masked Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 21, 2013

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
That manual looks fantastic. I was a bit sceptical that the Pi would be used for teaching programming, but I can see the Scratch language being used really effectively in the classroom.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lifehacker is doing a series of articles this week about the Raspberry Pi:

quote:

It's Raspberry Pi week at Lifehacker, and for the next five days we'll be showing you some cool DIY projects you can put together with this little miracle of a device. If you haven't bought one yet, check out the first section below to learn more about what it is, what you'll need, and the cool stuff you can do with one.
A Beginner’s Guide to DIYing with the Raspberry Pi

Turn a Raspberry Pi Into an XBMC Media Center in Under 30 Minutes

Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Personal VPN for Secure Browsing Anywhere You Go

Turn a Raspberry Pi Into an AirPlay Receiver for Streaming Music in Your Living Room

There are going to be a few more articles but these are the ones up so far. Their list of all Raspberry Pi articles (which should get the new ones added) is here:
http://lifehacker.com/raspberrypi/

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 24, 2013

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

I am going to buy Anker mini bluetooth keyboard. But I don't know how practical is it and should I expect any issues with bluetooth connection?

My goal is to play with rpi first and try few different OSes and then use it with xbmc.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

What is everyone currently running for XBMC? I've been switching back and forth lately trying to find something really stable and WIFE proof. Right now i'm on one of the latest Raspbmc nightlies. Would a change in skin help response? I don't see quartz in the repo anymore.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Exergy posted:

I am going to buy Anker mini bluetooth keyboard. But I don't know how practical is it and should I expect any issues with bluetooth connection?

My goal is to play with rpi first and try few different OSes and then use it with xbmc.

I've got one. It works ok, typing is a little frustrating due to the size, took some fiddling with the mouse acceleration to make the trackpad not feel weird. Range is, at most 10 feet, and I had to run the BT adapter to front of my TV with a USB extension to even get that. Using a better BT adapter might help.

Oh, and the laser pointer burned out after three days of taunting the dog.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Photex posted:

What is everyone currently running for XBMC? I've been switching back and forth lately trying to find something really stable and WIFE proof. Right now i'm on one of the latest Raspbmc nightlies. Would a change in skin help response? I don't see quartz in the repo anymore.

Nearly all of the Raspberry Pi builds of XBMC boot directly into the program like a set top box running Linux in the background. OpenElec and Raspbmc are the top two contenders. I see people complain about slow menu speed for Raspbmc a lot. I use a fork of OpenElec called DarkElec but my variant is months old and I believe OpenElec has leapfrogged it in performance with its latest release. One of the developers for OpenElec is actually a part of the dev team for XBMC so they tend to have an edge in regards to intimately understanding the program on a base level.

You're not going to get something "Wife proof" because the RaspPi is just too weak to handle being a primary HTPC rig. It's acceptable for a nerd to use because we can and are willing to ssh in and kill xbmc's process when it gets stuck. Your wife likely won't enjoy it.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 24, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

YouTuber posted:

You're not going to get something "Wife proof" because the RaspPi is just too weak to handle being a primary HTPC rig. It's acceptable for a nerd to use because we can and are willing to ssh in and kill xbmc's process when it gets stuck. Your wife likely won't enjoy it.

I'm experiencing the same thing with my GF... It's nice but it often need to be accessed by ssh to reboot etc..

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Photex posted:

I installed OpenELEC and its running fine. The system info says its at like 90% utilization all the time, but there are some articles online on how to reduce that. Even with the CPU chugging away I haven't really noticed a difference between it and running XBMC on my Zotac AD10.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Le0 posted:

I'm experiencing the same thing with my GF... It's nice but it often need to be accessed by ssh to reboot etc..

I just instructed my GF to hard reboot by pulling the USB power. Never had any issues. :ohdear:

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

iceslice posted:

I installed OpenELEC and its running fine. The system info says its at like 90% utilization all the time, but there are some articles online on how to reduce that. Even with the CPU chugging away I haven't really noticed a difference between it and running XBMC on my Zotac AD10.

Don't rely on the system info within OpenElec - a huge amount of the CPU usage is from screen updates that aren't being handled by the GPU (this is why doing simple stuff like disabling the RSS ticker instantly drops the CPU usage). So ironically, watching a screen with frequent updates (like the system info screen) causes a spike in CPU usage. ssh in and run htop, then browse around some to see a more accurate CPU breakdown.

I've found OpenElec to be fine for my partner - the XBMC remote app on iOS makes it a little more tolerable, but the default skin works just fine. For a total of like $30 it is pretty amazing.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Last night I built a thing to put my pi in. I repurposed an old chocolate box from christmas:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I keep cooking up new little ideas and realizing I don't have all the components on hand. Then by the time I get to a parts supplier site, I'm too worried about forgetting something or changing my plan, that its hard to submit an order since shipping costs are so high relative to actual parts price.

I need like, "Mouser Prime" or someone needs to sell a serious assortment of connectors and components like a Lego set.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

blackflare posted:

Last night I built a thing to put my pi in. I repurposed an old chocolate box from christmas:

Looks good, i like the clothespin spacer

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I keep cooking up new little ideas and realizing I don't have all the components on hand. Then by the time I get to a parts supplier site, I'm too worried about forgetting something or changing my plan, that its hard to submit an order since shipping costs are so high relative to actual parts price.

I need like, "Mouser Prime" or someone needs to sell a serious assortment of connectors and components like a Lego set.

Digikey has pretty good shipping options I think. I'm not 100% sure since I'm in Canada where their shipping options are loving AMAZING ($8 flat-rate next-day, free on orders over $200) but I think they're pretty good in the US too.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

mcsquared posted:

I've found OpenElec to be fine for my partner - the XBMC remote app on iOS makes it a little more tolerable, but the default skin works just fine. For a total of like $30 it is pretty amazing.

I found out that my normal tv remote controls xbmc fine on openelec, some kind of hdmi voodoo magic going on there.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

deebo posted:

I found out that my normal tv remote controls xbmc fine on openelec, some kind of hdmi voodoo magic going on there.

That is the HDMI-CEC option. If you go in to the settings you can get greater control over the Raspberry Pi than just a remote control.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know of any skins that function with Frodo for the Rasp Pi? It seems every one that I attempt to install fails.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there any specific SDHC Memory Card I should be picking up for a Raspberry Pi? I just want to make sure the card I get will work and be reasonably fast.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Is there any specific SDHC Memory Card I should be picking up for a Raspberry Pi? I just want to make sure the card I get will work and be reasonably fast.

http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

iceslice
May 20, 2005
This is a terribly ignorant question but I figure I ask before I try it: Am I going to ruin something if I power my RPI off of the same hub I have it plugged into to connect my keyboard/mouse/ect? There is something about having it plugged into that hub twice that just seems against common sense.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

iceslice posted:

This is a terribly ignorant question but I figure I ask before I try it: Am I going to ruin something if I power my RPI off of the same hub I have it plugged into to connect my keyboard/mouse/ect? There is something about having it plugged into that hub twice that just seems against common sense.

It's actually okay on the newer Raspberry Pi units (rev 2). If it has the amperage, it'll run fine as the power connector has no data lines.

It gets weirder, though. Many USB hubs back feed five volts to the host device (harmless on a regular computer), and the pi can be powered on five volts running in that way on rev. 2, meaning you might not even need to plug in the power USB cable.

It can run wired keyboards and mice just fine off of a phone charger, though. It's when you add more accessories it gets more likely to glitch.

EDIT: rev 2 has mounting holes, and can do it as it has no polyfuses.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I have kind of a noob programming question about GPIO:

I'm making an alarm clock/weather reader out of my Rasp-Pi. What's the best way to handle a GPIO button press event in Python?

I could loop over and over to poll it, which might be good for the "stop alarm/snooze" buttons when the alarm is running, but that feels wrong to me, since I'm used to using interrupts for that sort of thing on Arduino and other microcontrollers, which would mean threads or signals in python I guess?

Also, what's the best way to handle a button press activating a script or function at an arbitrary time? I want to be able to hit a button to read the time and weather aloud, but the only option I can think of is having a Python or Bash script keep polling the GPIO buttons all day long. Is there a better way?

If it involves threads, are there any good tutorials/examples of this sort of thing implemented on the Pi? I've not had to do those in school or in any of my projects yet. :blush:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2013/01/29/xbmc-12-0-frodo/

"Support for Raspberry Pi"

Does this mean that the main releases of XBMC will now work and we don't have to worry about the OpenELEC, RASPBMC, etc? Might it be inferior? The wiki page doesn't seem to have been updated yet.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Jago posted:

Does this mean that the main releases of XBMC will now work and we don't have to worry about the OpenELEC, RASPBMC, etc? Might it be inferior? The wiki page doesn't seem to have been updated yet.

I was thinking about that as well when I read it but since the link just goes to the wiki where you are instructed to dl one of Openelec etc... I was under the impression they just wanted to make some noise

The changelog says :

quote:

XBMC v12 (Frodo) is the first stable build of XBMC for Raspberry Pi. For more information on XBMC on the R-Pi, including how to install it, see Raspberry Pi FAQ.

but then links to the same FAQ :iiam:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Raspberry Pi thread, help me! I can't get my Pi to output HDMI to my TV.

- The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL46ex520
- The Pi outputs through the composite port when connected to the TV
- The Pi outputs HDMI perfectly when connected to a HDMI monitor
- hdmi_safe doesn't help, neither does hdmi_boost
- I've tried countless combinations of hdmi_group, hdmi_mode
- When I try hdmi_force_hotplug, the composite won't output and the TV changes to the correct HDMI channel but still doesn't display anything

I am desperate for ideas at this point. What can I try next?

Edit: Discovered my power source was providing only 4.4V. Found one that provides 5V. Now the TV recognises the input as coming from "Player 1(raspberrypi_li)" but still won't display HDMI.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 30, 2013

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009

AgentF posted:

Raspberry Pi thread, help me! I can't get my Pi to output HDMI to my TV.

- The TV is a Sony Bravia KDL46ex520
- The Pi outputs through the composite port when connected to the TV
- The Pi outputs HDMI perfectly when connected to a HDMI monitor
- hdmi_safe doesn't help, neither does hdmi_boost
- I've tried countless combinations of hdmi_group, hdmi_mode
- When I try hdmi_force_hotplug, the composite won't output and the TV changes to the correct HDMI channel but still doesn't display anything

I am desperate for ideas at this point. What can I try next?

Edit: Discovered my power source was providing only 4.4V. Found one that provides 5V. Now the TV recognises the input as coming from "Player 1(raspberrypi_li)" but still won't display HDMI.

I had a similar issue with my lovely work TV/monitor. Apparently I had to turn on the the TV, change the input to the HDMI port I was using, then reboot the rpi. In my case it seems that the TV had to be on the correct input and connected to the rpi before I turned the rpi on, otherwise it wouldn't display. Hope that helps, I have no idea.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Thanks for the help, but that's not it. Maybe my TV is sending out a faulty EDID? I don't know much about consumer electronics.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

AgentF posted:

Thanks for the help, but that's not it. Maybe my TV is sending out a faulty EDID? I don't know much about consumer electronics.

This sounds dumb but have you tried other HDMI ports on the TV? Have you tested the HDMI on the TV with another device? What if you boot it into HDMI connected to the monitor (the one that works) and then switch it over to your TV with it still on?

iceslice fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 30, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Jago posted:

No, it quite literally means it's the first stable release of XBMC works on the Raspberry Pi. You still need a Linux distro like OpenElec, Raspbmc, Xbian etc. Up until now, however, those distros have been using alphas, betas and release candidates.

YouTuber posted:

Perhaps if you ran a more stable (near)final of XBMC you wouldn't run into these issues. Mine hasn't frozen up in weeks, certainly not since the release candidates or final betas, and I don't think I've ever rebooted it via SSH.

My wife couldn't be happier with the RPi which she uses daily without issues.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 31, 2013

AgentF
May 11, 2009

iceslice posted:

This sounds dumb but have you tried other HDMI ports on the TV? Have you tested the HDMI on the TV with another device? What if you boot it into HDMI connected to the monitor (the one that works) and then switch it over to your TV with it still on?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried it on other HDMI ports. I don't have other devices that support HDMI attached to the TV (only a Wii and a SNES). Your last idea is a pretty good. I'm going to give that a shot when I get home.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Saw this article today about setting up basic file sharing on a Rpi with an external USB HD

http://www.jeremymorgan.com/tutorials/raspberry-pi/how-to-raspberry-pi-file-server/

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

frumpsnake posted:

Perhaps if you ran a more stable (near)final of XBMC you wouldn't run into these issues. Mine hasn't frozen up in weeks, certainly not since the release candidates or final betas, and I don't think I've ever rebooted it via SSH.

My wife couldn't be happier with the RPi which she uses daily without issues.

Same, my completely computer illiterate fiancee watches all of her awful Real Housewives of Whereverthefuck things with absolutely no problem. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot the pi since the first week I got it for anything other than doing an update to the installed image.

When I first set it up I was completely ready for the texts and wailing about how it was slow or clunky and broken while I wasn't at home to supervise but honestly I maybe had to deal with it freezing once and that was because my NAS drive decided it was time for an automatic firmware update and rebooted itself so the Pi had a hissy fit in the middle of some TV show she was watching and wouldn't respond, and she was too scared of it being my brand new toy to just pull the power cable out and plug it back in again.

With the current latest image of openelec I could probably give this thing to my grandparents with a 10 minute lesson on how to navigate the menu to play something and they'd probably be absolutely fine with it, and they've never operated anything more fancy than a DVD player.

For content, this is an awesome gadget I picked up to make life easier for doing slightly more fiddly things than you can do by pointing the remote at the TV and relying on CEC. Wifi remote sized keyboard with touchpad and random laser pointer, I got one from ebay for £17, total bargain.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Grab Meatcastle posted:

Same, my completely computer illiterate fiancee watches all of her awful Real Housewives of Whereverthefuck things with absolutely no problem. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot the pi since the first week I got it for anything other than doing an update to the installed image.

my GF also watch this train wreck of a show... :hfive:

Reading back I must be really unlucky then, I mean usually it works fine but I had to reboot it because my internet DNS wouldn't be set correctly, sometimes for whatever reason my USB logitech keyboard is dropped and numerous other problems that require technical attention.

Been using the 2.99 version whole time as well so I don't know :iiam:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Saw this article today about setting up basic file sharing on a Rpi with an external USB HD

http://www.jeremymorgan.com/tutorials/raspberry-pi/how-to-raspberry-pi-file-server/

Would this increase read/write speed compared to plugging hard drives directly into my Airport Extreme's USB port.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Would this increase read/write speed compared to plugging hard drives directly into my Airport Extreme's USB port.

Probably not. Every test I've seen has put the RPi at 5-7MB/sec sharing EXT2/3 drives. Half that speed with NTFS. Share speed is really CPU-bound, and the Airport has more grunt. My high-end-consumer 600mhz router gets the same speed, and maxes the CPU doing it.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
If you guys are looking to use a ir receiver with your rPI, this GPIO one works pretty well.

http://imgur.com/a/uWJRs

You can buy the TSOP1238 I used for a buck at element14. Pretty cheap and much smaller than the USB MCE thing I was using before. I didnt want to solder it directly to the pins so I made a connector out of an old ide cable (had to lay the receiver sideways inside to clear the top of my case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Am I right in saying that OpenELEC/RaspBMC will act as a receiver for Airplay video? If so, does it run ok on the Pi? Or is it a slow, janky piece of poo poo?