Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Cakefool posted:

Someone repost that melted Volvo valve cover, gets me every time.

On the Volvos it's actually more of a cam cover since the cover houses the top half of the camshaft bearings :science: and therefore uses no gasket (only anaerobic sealer)

They're all aluminum, IIRC it was the coil sight cover that melted on the Volvo. Still an awesome picture nonetheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Here you go:

Source. "Out of Coolant Error! Redo From Start."

It's the cosmetic coil cover, yeah. The metal valve cover is visible above and below it. As far as I know Volvo valve covers are still all metal, the idea of a plastic one seems... weird.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 27, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm so tempted to send that to my dad, make him worry what I've done to his car :v:

Except for the whole heart attack thing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

You Am I posted:

So? If the manifolds were mounted the other way, it would be the exhaust copping the damage. Can't see why the intake taking the damage to be any worse, either way the car is hosed.

I hit a deer a few years ago in my Zetec Focus (front exhaust/rear intake) and the top half of the radiator got pushed back into the header. Aside from some plastic from the radiator fan melting upon contact with the hot exhaust there wasn't any actual damage to the header/cat or engine (still runs fine today.)

Regarding the metal vs plastic valve cover debate, my Focus uses a plastic cover, and AFAIK every Ford I4 since the early 2000s has as well - the 2.5 Duratec in my company car (2012 Fusion) at my last job used a plastic cover.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 27, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's bizarre is that the toyota passenger cars still use alloy covers (well they did as of early 2011), yet the diesel vehicles like hilux, land cruiser, hiace etc have plastic covers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Geoj posted:

I hit a deer a few years ago in my Zetec Focus (front exhaust/rear intake) and the top half of the radiator got pushed back into the header. Aside from some plastic from the radiator fan melting upon contact with the hot exhaust there wasn't any actual damage to the header/cat or engine (still runs fine today.)

Regarding the metal vs plastic valve cover debate, my Focus uses a plastic cover, and AFAIK every Ford I4 since the early 2000s has as well - the 2.5 Duratec in my company car (2012 Fusion) at my last job used a plastic cover.

The SPI had an aluminum valve cover.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Godholio posted:

The SPI had an aluminum valve cover.

...and also dates back to the early 80s.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Re: PVC Intake Chat

Who says you can't use PVC for proper intakes?

rcman50166 posted:

Update (finally):

The intake addition has been completed.

I might as well take the time to go into detail of what it is for. The stock ECU contains a table with intake flows and associates them with a specific pressure read by the MAP sensor. Honda's ECU is proprietary so we can't simply go into it to read it. So we have to get that information the same way Honda originally did, by measuring it using some sort of flow meter. For ours, we are using a Venturi flow meter that uses Bernoulli's principle to calculate the velocity of the flow. Multiply that by the cross section of the pipe and it becomes volumetric flow rate. Multiply that by the density of the air (calculated using the IAT or intake air temperature) gives you mass flow rate. This is exactly what is needed to figure out how much fuel to inject using stoichiometry. The rest is all timing done by microprocessors. We tested the assembly using a shop vac. Did you know they suck at about 10 gallons per second?

TL;DR:
Hey look at the red dong we added to the engine. We had to because Honda is all secretive about their stuff.

This was from the now dying SAE thread. To be fair, it was not meant to be anything but a prototype.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that a CBR600 engine?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The 2.0 dates to 1997. The top end is physically different from the 1.9 and smaller that go back further.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Slavvy posted:

Is that a CBR600 engine?

Why yes, yes it is. More specifically a 2007 model.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

rcman50166 posted:

This was from the now dying SAE thread. To be fair, it was not meant to be anything but a prototype.

Haha, we make Venturi flow meters for use in systems, pretty much exactly like that.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

rcman50166 posted:

Science is fun!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slavvy posted:

What's bizarre is that the toyota passenger cars still use alloy covers (well they did as of early 2011), yet the diesel vehicles like hilux, land cruiser, hiace etc have plastic covers.
My 100 series has a plastic cover over the valves, with a layer of foam sandwiched between it and a steel outer cover!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

My 100 series has a plastic cover over the valves, with a layer of foam sandwiched between it and a steel outer cover!

The reasoning behind this was thus: plastic cam cover is cheaper and lighter and better, so we'll use that>need foam to silence those tappets and injectors because the market is moving upward for landcruisers and people expect it!>poo poo better put a steel cover over this, it might get damaged if anyone uses this thing seriously!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slavvy posted:

The reasoning behind this was thus: plastic cam cover is cheaper and lighter and better, so we'll use that>need foam to silence those tappets and injectors because the market is moving upward for landcruisers and people expect it!>poo poo better put a steel cover over this, it might get damaged if anyone uses this thing seriously!

I think it is more like: The price of plastic glued to steel is less than a thick steel one itself, and it still looks nice from the outside.

Occam's Discount Razor - the simplest explanation usually triumphs, as long as it is the cheapest.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
[edit]
Wrong thread.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
The LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7, L99, L92 and all of its normally aspirated family use plastic intakes.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Stolen shamelessly from PYF

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Don't tell anyone but AFR, Edelbrock, and others make performance plastic intake manifolds as well.

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

Stolen shamelessly from PYF

Holy hell. Pissed off ex?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Devyl posted:

Don't tell anyone but AFR, Edelbrock, and others make performance plastic intake manifolds as well.

Holy hell. Pissed off ex?

picked off axe :rimshot:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Those are just speedholes. They make the car go faster.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Armacham posted:

Those are just speedholes. They make the car go faster.

If we're going to be stealing lines from the PYF thread, I'm gonna go with "It used to be manual but they installed an auto-mattock"

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Does everyone know what time it is? :haw:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Binford tools is proud to present-

...oh.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So does that mean the car is ready to stop being an unreliable bitch and function normally?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Binford tools is proud to present-

...oh.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Root Bear posted:

Does everyone know what time it is? :haw:

I was hoping peanut butter jelly time!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I get extremely paranoid when the temp needle goes a single millimeter above "normal."

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ultimateforce posted:

I get extremely paranoid when the temp needle goes a single millimeter above "normal."

You'd be happy with a GM. They're just dummy gauges in the recent ones. By the time they go over 'middle', your head is (likely) already warped. They work real well for finding stuck-open thermostats, though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

Driving a BMW has done this to me as well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Rover makes it even worse. Its just waiting for the next set of head gaskets on the engine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've never seen the coolant temp needle go anywhere above 90°C on the gauge in my car, but the oil temp needle goes all over the place depending on how hard I drive. It's nice to know that it works.

Actually, I kinda like how the normal operating temperature range is marked out on the gauge. So oil needs to be between 90°C and 140°C, while the coolant needs to be between 70°C and 90°C.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I think there's a layer of abstraction between the needles / lights and the related sensors on the Fairlane but the temperature gauge has definitely been calibrated so normal range is acceptable more or less but as soon as the needle crosses that line in to the H lands you're poo poo out of luck. But there are two kinds of hot. The needle getting up in there and when the light at the top of the H illuminates. That light is usually accompanied by a bone chilling alarm tone and the roar of coolant violently escaping form somewhere.

I have to go for a drive today. Hopefully there won't be any mechanical failures. I always do a pre-drive check. I'll be giving it it's first hopefully problem free run on petrol in a long time.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Rover makes it even worse. Its just waiting for the next set of head gaskets on the engine.

I've popped heads with the gauge sitting dead. loving. center.

as soon as the gauge gets 2/3s of its sweep there is *something* under the hood that is already boiling its tits off. Gauranfuckingteed.

I *really* hate land rover temp gauges.

also BN: the first white bar is 170* Found that out this morning. :v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ultimateforce posted:

I blame you for the trend of gauges which always point to a single reading no matter what the actual reading is! Well, OK.. maybe not you but instead those who would take their car into the dealer to complain about it overheating when the gauge goes ever so slightly up when they are running A/C at idle on a hot day.

My VW temperature gauge stays pointed at 190F when the actual coolant temp can be anywhere from 175-210 (that's as high as I've seen it go since getting my scangauge mounted, I'm sure Texas summers will make new records). That is pulling off of the OBD-II connector so the engine knows the right temperature but just isn't showing it :argh:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Its been so loving cold I am pretty sure I could run it out of anti freeze and still drive around just fine. Seriously, this wind and poo poo sucks.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

cursedshitbox posted:

I've popped heads with the gauge sitting dead. loving. center.

as soon as the gauge gets 2/3s of its sweep there is *something* under the hood that is already boiling its tits off. Gauranfuckingteed.

I *really* hate land rover temp gauges.

Anything is better than the idiot lights in my impala. All you get is a red light and smoke, plus the smell of coolant through the vents. There is NO warning.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I had a caddy hearse with 2 gauges. speedo and fuel. It had the same drat "overheating" lamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
This picture here is exactly the same dashboard I have, only in the color that I plan on painting my someday.