Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like the main hoop is one continuous bend or that it goes all the way to the floor. Plus there is no diagonal in the hoop, no a-pillar bars, and that door bar isn't really attached to anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
You're right, those two vertical tubes arch over the door & down the A-pillar and that cross piece is welded on at the top to make the main hoop. I think it does go to the floor at least, my phone camera is a POS but the vertical tubes continue down inside those panels that cover their bottom halves. The door bar makes a 90° bend outwards just behind the door to meet them inside that panel, and I think the other end is just welded straight to the floor.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Is that a s-bend in the cage tubing or am I seeing things. Is the hoop around the door one piece and the roof bar welded onto that? I don't know a lot about cages but that thing is scary.

edit:ignore top bar comment, I was right sadly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jammyozzy posted:

Let's play guess the (awesome) car!

I'm anxiously awaiting CT's analysis of that cage. Nothing's been cut out of it by the way, that's the entire cage. :ohdear:

Ooooooh, is that a Metro 6r4? Yes, Group B wasnt exactly the greatest at safety to say the least. They barely put cages in and it was legal (!) to run without a cage only a year or two before.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What better package for 600hp of violently turbocharged rally car?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

I'd imagine it's pretty damned good. Not for the competitive rock-crawling kind of offroading, necessarily, but for smashing through rough fields and climbing ledges and fording rivers, like you'd actually want in the military. Really good ground clearance, self-inflating tires, a shitload of torque, and with the snorkel I think it can ford like five and a half feet of water.
Yeah, I wouldn't want an H1 for general off-roading in the UK. However, if I had to choose something in which to place a squaddie and say "You need to be twenty miles over there and there aren't any roads", it'd probably be just what I needed.

Cakefool posted:

Supposedly the crews would put on massively-soundproofed ex-RAF helmets as soon as the scrutineers weren't looking, so they didn't have total deafness to go along with the "I went for a short drive and now I've been pissing blood for two days" stories.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The spectators are supposed to function as the main impact absorption for a Group B car.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Here's a different type of metro with a cage

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

T1g4h posted:

Hey AI, I found a beautiful piece of work that one of you needs to come rescue because I am in love with her and currently broke:

Be still my beating heart :allears:

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is this?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Dead Blue Sky posted:

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is this?

1959 Dodge Custom Royal. Looked to be mostly intact, minus some front trim, and the headlights / taillights.

EDIT: Here's the tail, for those curious.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 29, 2013

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I need to get a garage just so I can take on projects like that, what a gorgeous car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

jammyozzy posted:

Let's play guess the (awesome) car!

I'm anxiously awaiting CT's analysis of that cage. Nothing's been cut out of it by the way, that's the entire cage. :ohdear:

I love how NHRA and anyone thinks those dorky little door bars do anything

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cakefool posted:

Well in this case a NA 400hp V6. A very, VERY loud V6.

quote:

I love how NHRA and anyone thinks those dorky little door bars do anything

They do work and they are actually more for making sure the floor doesnt crumple under the drivers feet, rather than intrusion. Not as well as alternative designs, but that bar isnt a worthless piece of metal as you seem to think.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

satnav is probably my favorite button.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Please make my life complete by telling me that isn't a photoshop. I love the thought of hitting the straights at 160+ and mashing the banana button.

Thanks for the new wallpaper :)

Devyl fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 29, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Devyl posted:

Please make my life complete by telling me that isn't a photoshop. I love the thought of hitting the straights at 160+ and mashing the banana button.

I'll just not say anything and we can both live in bliss.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I think it's stickers.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

goobernoodles posted:

I doubt this is real but I keep passing by this Xterra and had to snap a pic. There is what appears to be a submersible vehicle of sorts on top with two pontoons with propellers and a periscope/snorkely thing on top. I guess the guy is probably just going for a yellow submarine theme, but I have visions of it driving into water and having a buddy shove off from the roof.

I have seen this vehicle as well in Seattle, on Barton ave near 35th. Its been that way for years, and ive never understood why. I also concluded it must be some kind of detatchable water vehicle, or just total nonsense.

I think I saw a dodge like that in a barn in Yakima Wa. Totally awesome, way cooler than a 59 cad. I'm pretty sure that car is the basis for the chyrsalis motors highwayman.

Raw_Beef fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 29, 2013

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
A craigslist 280Z

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

blk posted:

Not sure if awful or awesome; leaning towards awesome.

"This means something. This is important."

Oh, God. Not only is that thing in Texas, it's from my home town.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I want one.
Lemons racer?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well that is just going to be shitloads of fun.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I didn't see this posted although this is a bit old, Edmunds has posted suspension walkarounds for the new Viper and Grand Cherokee SRT8

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2013-srt-viper-gts-suspension-walkaround.html

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-suspension-walkaround.html

The Viper has remote shock resevoirs which was surprising.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Throatwarbler posted:

I didn't see this posted although this is a bit old, Edmunds has posted suspension walkarounds for the new Viper and Grand Cherokee SRT8

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2013-srt-viper-gts-suspension-walkaround.html

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-suspension-walkaround.html

The Viper has remote shock resevoirs which was surprising.

Those are pretty well written write ups. I wish more car magazines would go into detail about stuff like that

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

Devyl posted:

Thanks for the new wallpaper :)

It's not a photoshop, but it is stickers. The Lotus F1 team launched their 2013 car yesterday, and that was the steering wheel.
My favourite button is the Jenson button.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

satnav is probably my favorite button.
Obviously the red button should have had "Go fasta" on it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That '59 has an even more evil face than its 1958 cousin that made those famous:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

jamal posted:

I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like the main hoop is one continuous bend or that it goes all the way to the floor. Plus there is no diagonal in the hoop, no a-pillar bars, and that door bar isn't really attached to anything else.

And people think we should bring back Group B!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

But we should!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wait wait wait. Is this running chain-drive AWD from a bike engine? That is awesome.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

drgitlin posted:

We absolutely should. It was one of the best classes of racing competition this world has ever seen. Think about how much faster those cars would be with today's technology; they would make the 80's Group B cars look like they were moving in reverse.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I don't remember where I read it, it might even have been here but apparently the previous generation of WRC cars were quicker along stages than group B cars, thanks to advances in tyres, aero, active differentials etc. I can't find any data to back that up though so take it with a pinch of salt. I can't imagine the speed a modern rally car could carry along a stage with >500hp motivating it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
To me this story is VERY awesome and pretty AI.

On sunday my friend and I were discussing car compliments from random people and got onto the subject of how neat it would be to get a compliment from a police officer...a day later I got my first COPliment.

My car for reference:

So I pull up to a gas pump at my favorite local watering hole, hop out and start doing all the credit card bullshit with the gas pump. I'm about to pick my octane when I notice a police cruiser pull up in front of my car. I glance over and the cop had rolled down his window and goes, "Nice Imola." I was soo shocked, my face went from this: to this: and I immediately blurt out, "You know what this is?! That's awesome!"

So we end up bullshitting for a solid 10 minutes about my car and his (turns out he has a silver B5 S4), what coilovers I'm running because he's thinking of getting a set for his car, and what exhaust I have, if its tuned, that he knows Rich from European Performance Labs and so on and so forth. Turns out to be a really cool guy and he also owns an E90 M3. So he leaves because he got a call from dispatch, which means I can actually pump my gas now.

I fill the car up and and screwing the gas cap back on and when I look up to walk around to the drivers side of the car, the cop has come back and is just sitting there next to me. I was a bit shocked so I go, "Hey man, whats up?" He leans over and goes, "Listen I didn't want to leave but I had to respond to a call. I really wanted to follow you out of here and listen to the ASP exhaust!" My face has to look this dumb: I literally could not believe what I heard. So he says that he hasn't heard an ASP exhaust and that he wanted to follow me down the road for a minute to hear it. So we pull out of the gas station and I rip through 1st gear.

Now, I couldn't see in the cop car so I can't 100% confirm this part, but I'm pretty sure this is an accurate reenactment of what went on in his cop cruiser when I wrung out 1st: So the cop pulls up next to me, give me a thumbs up and a honk and took off.

Consider my mind blown in the most awesome way possible.

Bonus photo of cop's M3

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

jammyozzy posted:

I don't remember where I read it, it might even have been here but apparently the previous generation of WRC cars were quicker along stages than group B cars, thanks to advances in tyres, aero, active differentials etc. I can't find any data to back that up though so take it with a pinch of salt. I can't imagine the speed a modern rally car could carry along a stage with >500hp motivating it.

The closest thing that exists would probably be Tajima's Pikes Peak racer from 2011. If extrapolated to WRC, add a bunch more development and resources = Automotive Insanity.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

GramCracker posted:

To me this story is VERY awesome and pretty AI.

On sunday my friend and I were discussing car compliments from random people and got onto the subject of how neat it would be to get a compliment from a police officer...a day later I got my first COPliment.

My car for reference:

So I pull up to a gas pump at my favorite local watering hole, hop out and start doing all the credit card bullshit with the gas pump. I'm about to pick my octane when I notice a police cruiser pull up in front of my car. I glance over and the cop had rolled down his window and goes, "Nice Imola." I was soo shocked, my face went from this: to this: and I immediately blurt out, "You know what this is?! That's awesome!"

So we end up bullshitting for a solid 10 minutes about my car and his (turns out he has a silver B5 S4), what coilovers I'm running because he's thinking of getting a set for his car, and what exhaust I have, if its tuned, that he knows Rich from European Performance Labs and so on and so forth. Turns out to be a really cool guy and he also owns an E90 M3. So he leaves because he got a call from dispatch, which means I can actually pump my gas now.

I fill the car up and and screwing the gas cap back on and when I look up to walk around to the drivers side of the car, the cop has come back and is just sitting there next to me. I was a bit shocked so I go, "Hey man, whats up?" He leans over and goes, "Listen I didn't want to leave but I had to respond to a call. I really wanted to follow you out of here and listen to the ASP exhaust!" My face has to look this dumb: I literally could not believe what I heard. So he says that he hasn't heard an ASP exhaust and that he wanted to follow me down the road for a minute to hear it. So we pull out of the gas station and I rip through 1st gear.

Now, I couldn't see in the cop car so I can't 100% confirm this part, but I'm pretty sure this is an accurate reenactment of what went on in his cop cruiser when I wrung out 1st: So the cop pulls up next to me, give me a thumbs up and a honk and took off.

Consider my mind blown in the most awesome way possible.

Bonus photo of cop's M3

That is an awesome story.

I had an Audi R8 Spyder on test for a bit, about two years ago. I was driving on the highway and needed to get some petrol. Took an offramp, turned left, and there's a roadblock. Now, for reference, I live in South Africa. The police here usually pull over young guys in fast cars because they're looking to find something wrong so they can fish for a bribe. They check my license, run the car's plates, and it checks out. Then a bunch of them start checking out the car and chatting to me about it, how fast it is, all of that stuff. They're just some guys interested in a cool car, too.

Before they let me go the one cop tells asks, "Hey, don't you wanna burn it up down this stretch?" as he aims at a crowded one-way road with about 3 lanes.
I reply, "With all this traffic?"
He stops to think, calls the other cops on the scene - about 7 in total - and mouths off in Xhosa. Seven cops abandon their posts (writing fines up for other drivers behind me), and jump into the road. They stop traffic across all three lanes, and the guy who's standing next to me says, "Ok, make some noise. Do about 130 (km/h) until that traffic light over there".

I obliged.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Jesus, that would have me nervous.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pussy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I have fond memories of South Yorkshire Police drag racing their Saab 9000 against my dad's at the traffic lights.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Figures the first and probably the only time I'll ever get to work on an actual GT500 is after some jerk plows it into a curb. I got the pleasure of picking up where the body/frame shop left off:

The test drive afterwards was quite :stare: to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Daveh posted:

My favourite button is the Jenson button.

I'm glad someone else noticed that. :v: