Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas calls them laser swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

euphronius posted:

I think he's just being obtuse. If you can't parse the themes from Star Wars on your own you probably just shouldn't be consuming media in the first place.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think he's just being obtuse. If you can't parse the themes from Star Wars on your own you probably just shouldn't be consuming media in the first place.
I like people to be specific, it makes things easy for me to understand and less easy for me to misunderstand. It's not being obtuse at all.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Longbaugh01 posted:

Which makes sense, but begs the question: How do you encapsulate 30+ years of in-universe history in a concise manner?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't remember a single flashback in any Star Wars film. It was never part of its aesthetic. So maybe leaving that period ambiguous is best even if counter-intuitive.

As long as the original cast have minor roles it could be workable, they could fullfil a similar role to Obi Wan. Episode IV never really had exposition dumps instead it used visual cues and plausible in-universe conversations to give you an awareness of the past.

A good example would be the brief conversation in the Death Star boardroom where Tarkin explains the Senate has been disolved. Another guy points out the Emperor has used the Senate previously to maintain his power and then a third guy boasts about how force users are dying out.

This gives us a significant chunk of what the prequels tried to tell us in a single scene.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Note that space battles, 'the force', laser swords, and specific characters are not listed as necessary.
It's gonna be a really boring film without these two and frankly anything labeled as Star Wars that doesn't contain jedi in it doesn't really sell.

Like the game where you played a bounty hunter or whatever? Sold like dogshit.

It might as well be called Not Star Wars if it doesn't contain at least those two elements.

euphronius posted:

Lucas is also shown himself to be a rich moron, your point?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 30, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This gives us a significant chunk of what the prequels tried to tell us in a single scene.

And then Vader chokes a bitch. And it has Peter Cushing in it. Great scene.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's gonna be a really boring film without these two and frankly anything labeled as Star Wars that doesn't contain jedi in it doesn't really sell.

Like the game where you played a bounty hunter or whatever? Sold like dogshit.

It might as well be called Not Star Wars if it doesn't contain at least those two elements.

Lucas is also shown himself to be a rich moron, your point?

Lucas made it all up. How can he be wrong about his own creation? Lightsabers don't exist. Lucas is using real world terms (they are swords made of lasers) to refer to something that is called, in universe, a Lightsaber.

It's like getting pissed off that A Princess of Mars isn't named A Princess of Barsoom, like it's supposed to be.

DirtyRobot posted:

I think the truly dialectical reading of the film (in the Zizekian sense) would say that the space battles, the force, and laser swords, are all, in fact, not just the "stupid appearance," but integral to everything you list. I.e., you're offering the ingenious correction, but the dialectical move is to realize that the correction was always already there as part of the appearance. In short, it matters that the various themes you list are being negotiated or played with through the lens of a romance fantasy space battle coming-of-age story with quasi-mystical magic philosophy and laser swords etc etc etc. Just like it matters that in Alien the sex imagery is in the form of the radically "alien."

Like, if you remove your Star Wars examples for each of the elements you list, you could probably find another film that has all those elements, especially some of the more general ones ("vaguely revolutionary but then also totally not"). And the answer is: no, that other film would not be Star Wars, even if this other film and Star Wars were both negotiating similar politics in similar ways.

I guess my point is that the content is part of the form. Like, I agree the meat of a given film like Star Wards is in the form. But the selection of so-called content is basically a formal decision, really, so whatever.

Absolutely, I think you could do this. I think it would be politically disgusting, but it could still be "Star Wars," insofar as any sequel isn't an extension of the original but a commentary or reading of the original.

The Star Wars trilogy is about America during the Carter administration. It's about the oil embargo, inflation, the decline of the auto industry, and it's about class. I'm not one to default to every film or what have you being about class, it's blatant here.

The good guys are all mechanics and farmers with junky spaceships and the bad guys are posh British aristocrats. The Star Wars trilogy is about the lower classes overthrowing the upper classes for the crime of remaining prosperous while the world decayed around them. Darth Vader is a special case; he's the Fear of a Black Planet given flesh. The all white brigade with their buddy Lando defeat him by turning him into a white guy. America's slavery-dominated past is whitewashed and becomes a kind old grandpa, then kicks it before he has time to talk about the good old whipping days.

Note all the references to an earlier, more civilized age; Obi-Wan's storied past isn't some sort of colonial era in space with duelists bearing swords, it's the fifties; the Clone Wars are World War II and the decay we see in evidence in the film is the decay from the Populuxe fifties and the promise of the retrofuture to the then present when Luke couldn't afford to gas up his space hot rod and everything was more expensive. Luke himself is a juvenile delinquent from the bad side of town. America became the Empire after losing in Vietnam; the Emperor is Kissinger.

The prequels are similarly rooted in their times; Episode I is sort of floppy and directionless, as Clinton-era America was, but by Episode II the films are firmly about the Bush administration, which is why the connection between Episode I and II is a jumbled mess and the second two films feel like the proper story of the trilogy compressed across two films while the nominal first is just sort of there and its sequels all but ignore it.

The new films are either going to be an attempt to capture the feel of the 70's or something that properly reflects the times.

The handling of the edits to the original trilogy is a special case. Lucas deliberately set out to destroy them, and not in the bumbling haphazard way that fans desperately want to believe. The message of the edits is the ruination of his creation by marketing, hence the digitally inserted toys covering up iconic scenes (quite literally, in one case; the dinosaur rear end that covers the Mos Eisley scene? There's a toy of that thing) and Darth Vader's pink lightsaber. There's been something like six or eight edits including the Blu-Rays and Darth Vader's lightsaber has on purpose been made pink in all of them.

Curiously, Mace Windu, a Real Black Man, has a lightsaber that's the same hue, but clearly much darker and more pronounced. He also doesn't act like the Angry Black Man stereotype nerds going to see the movie expected to see, either.

Thulsa Doom fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 30, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thulsa Doom posted:

Lucas made it all up. How can he be wrong about his own creation?

I don't believe any creators of a thing are infallible for their choices or decisions related to a thing.

Said another way: Some choices are just wrong. No one's perfect.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Star Wars is essentially about class struggle and the need for revolutionary politics. The prequel sort of underlines this regarding the utter failure (and ultimate corruption) of liberalism.

edit: And calling Lucas dumb is pretty absurd. The story first told on this forum about his Q&A will forever be proof to me on that.

Danger fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 30, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I always thought the lightsabers were sabers, made of light

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

scary ghost dog posted:

I always thought the lightsabers were sabers, made of light

It's pretty clear that they're lasers made out of sword.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lucas is often the smartest motherfucker in the room. The prequels were so smart that they went over people's heads completely.

The secret is that Lucas is evil - and you shouldn't confuse evil with stupidity.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lucas is often the smartest motherfucker in the room. The prequels were so smart that they went over people's heads completely.

The secret is that Lucas is evil - and you shouldn't confuse evil with stupidity.

It's no secret.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Here is what Star Wars needs in order to be 'Star Wars' (in the sense of the original film):

-Prominent perspective lines, often glowing, contrasted with clouds or fields of debris.

And with that, it finally comes crashing into focus for me. How the hell have I never considered the significance of those images? I'm ecstatic.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Aorist posted:

And with that, it finally comes crashing into focus for me. How the hell have I never considered the significance of those images? I'm ecstatic.

I'm still confused by what that means, and why it's important.

But then, consider the amount of screen-time the laser sword gets in Star Wars - and compare that with how much time is spent on the nuanced interactions with (and between) ethnic aliens and homosexual robots. The latter must take up at least half the runtime.

But part of this is that the lightsabers in ANH were intentionally rationed for reasons such as effects, budget, and straight-out avoidance of overuse.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Did they? How so?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Longbaugh01 posted:

But part of this is that the lightsabers in ANH were intentionally rationed for reasons such as effects, budget, and straight-out avoidance of overuse.

Eh, material conditions affect the production of every text, but (generally) you still read the text you've got, not the one that might have happened. Authors, directors, poets, cinematographers, all adapt. Dickens wrote under tight deadlines and in a restrictive serial format that no doubt affected what he wrote. Milton had to deal with the fact that he was blind, and "wrote" Paradise Lost under dictation -- surely that affected that text at least slightly as well. Things like that affect the texts, but the texts remain open to reading as-is. Lots of films are great partly because of material constraints of some sort, which are less visible after the production, or where considered very early on, so no one knew about them (i.e., a director thought, "Hey, I'll do this," but five second later realized that was impossible. "Bummer, but I'll do this *genius things* instead."). The people behind films don't have to simply "overcome" material conditions, as if their goal is solely to produce the same movie despite the given material condition; rather they work with them, shape the text according to the options that are available to them.

To take the idea further, even Shakespeare comes to us as a series of play scripts he wrote down which generally don't feature things that are impossible to put on stage, but maybe he really would've done something cool, since he was actually that type of guy who really might have (rather than a Aristotelian type Greek tragedy writer, who would've thought every play should take up no time except what you saw on stage, and should have nothing weird, like a film with no editing, as it were. Shakespeare loved playing with that.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Aorist posted:

The death star detention block is a long hallway stretching out into infinity. They escape by jumping out of the tunnel and into the pool of garbage.

Luke is spying on some sand people with his binoculars. One of them suddenly jumps up into the frame, having taken advantage of Luke's tunnel vision.

Vader adjust the knobs on his targeting computer while barreling through the infinitely long death star trench. Han Solo suddenly appears in his blind spot, and knocks him into the star-field.

It's really the only sensible explanation for the converging death star lasers.

Longbaugh01 posted:

"The world of visual perspective is one of unified and homogeneous space. Such a world is alien to the resonating diversity of spoken words. So language was the last art to accept the visual logic of Gutenberg technology, and the first to rebound in the electric age."
-Marshall McLuhan

"Use the force, Luke. Let go."
-Obiwan's disembodied voice

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 30, 2013

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I see!

(Wait. I meant "I feel!" Thanks for the explanation.)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Danger posted:

edit: And calling Lucas dumb is pretty absurd. The story first told on this forum about his Q&A will forever be proof to me on that.

What was this?

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Popcorn posted:

What was this?

"They died."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Popcorn posted:

What was this?

Some guy asked Lucas what happened to Luke & co after the OT.

He replied, "They died."

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Danger posted:

Star Wars is essentially about class struggle and the need for revolutionary politics. The prequel sort of underlines this regarding the utter failure (and ultimate corruption) of liberalism.

Not to be facetious but how does the extremely aggressive merchandising tie into such a message?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Not to be facetious but how does the extremely aggressive merchandising tie into such a message?

Either cosmic irony or Lucas was economically savvy.

Actually it's both.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Everything he's done since is rife with messages indicating his distaste for the merchandising. If anything, he probably regrets it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If anything the merchandising is simply an appropriation of the film and shouldn't influence any singular reading of the text. That's not to say it shouldn't be considered, but the radical message in Star Wars is pretty apparent within the film regardless of toys being sold. I can't say that Lucas has any sort of enthusiasm for this appropriation either. In fact, he seems to disdain it. For instance: "They died".

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
My speculation/theory based on what I've read about the history suggests Lucas grew disillusioned the instant block-long lines started forming to see A New Hope, but allowed himself to stay trapped in the phenomenon until...well maybe now.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thulsa Doom posted:

Everything he's done since is rife with messages indicating his distaste for the merchandising. If anything, he probably regrets it.

There was plenty of bad merchandising for the prequels.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

There was plenty of bad merchandising for the prequels.

I think we've agreed the man is evil. He may hate merchandising, he may hate modern film marketing and targeting, he may hate the audience for liking his films in a way he doesn't personally agree with, but loves money. He loves great gooey gobs of money and I understand that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thulsa Doom posted:

I'm sure Lucas is totally broken up about the bed full of a slurry of finely shredded thousand-dollar bills and colloidal silver he sleeps on every night.

(Hint: Lucas negotiated an enormous percentage of the merchandising rights for the Star Wars franchise that would be considered completely merciless by modern standards. He was extremely forward-thinking in that respect and totally foresaw the rise of merchandising as a powerful financial concern all its own, not just a little deal on the side.)

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 31, 2013

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Popcorn posted:

What was this?

Since the original is such a wonderful post, here it is in its entirety:

quote:

How does George Lucas crush someone's soul in two words?

This is sometime between the release of Episode 1 and Episode 2 - probably fall of 2000. We had a continually running class that took on one or two directors for the entire semester. The year before I had taken the Hitchcock class. This semester it was on George Lucas. The class filled super quickly because it was open to all students and film students didn't get priority, so basically if you weren't a senior or lucky junior you didn't get in. Unless you were working in the projection booth for that class, like I was.

The class is roughly 250 people with a makeup of what you probably suspect. The Q and A with George was week 14, so by then we had been able to recognize certain people from up in the booth. One of those people was basically a tall, skinny guy who was obviously a HUGE fan of Star Wars. He wasn't a jerky pedantic fan, but you could tell from his questions throughout the year (and from random conversations we would hear him in before class) that he absolutely adored the films and the characters. He was also one of the big Jar Jar apologists in the class and would passionately defend Episode 1, which seemed to be what half of the questions and conversations outside of the class and during the break were about. Frankly, he seemed like a nice enough guy and was much more tolerable than a lot of the other "noticeable" people in that class. For simplicity I'll just call him Tim because it is short to type.

Cut to George Lucas day. The professor gives a thirty minute spiel waxing poetic about University Board Member and huge donor Mr. Lucas. Gorge Speaks for about twenty minutes. Then there is a Q and A session which lasts about an hour. One microphone on each of the two aisles, people standing in line to ask questions, professor stepping in from time to time to expand on things. This class runs from 7 to 11 at night, so it is around 9 as the session wraps up. There are only a couple of people left in line to ask questions, and we notice up in the booth that Tim has slowly made his way down one of the aisles and now is the last person in that line.

Tim's time finally comes, and it looks like he will be the second to the last question. He approaches the mic and starts his question - or more correctly his explanation. He goes on about how he always felt the strength of the films was in the protagonists, and how thoughts of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewey always helped get him through sad times because they were such fun and life-embracing people (people, not characters). I can't even paraphrase everything he said, or how his excitement and joy grew with each word, but after a couple of minutes he finally got to the question. "So, basically, my question is to ask what happened to them after Jedi. Did they stay friends? Go on more adventures? Did they ever have kids of their own?"

This whole time George has been sitting in his chair with the table and water at his side on the stage in front of the screen. He doesn't move or blink during the question, and appears to be giving Tim his rapt attention. After Tim finishes, he looks up for a moment or two in a "pondering" pose, then looks back and slowly says "They died." He then turns to the other aisle for the final question.

Tim just sort of slowly stood at the mic after that. I couldn't see his face, but his entire body just sort of slumped. The person in the other aisle just quietly said "I think you answered my question already" and went back to his seat. The theater was pitch quiet, Lucas had turned back to face the center of the theater and took a sip of water, and the professor just sort of slowly walked forward and said "If there are no more questions, lets take our break and start the film in ten minutes."

People slowly shuffled out of the theater. I had to stay in the booth to get things set up, so I never saw Tim's face, but I do know it took him about two minutes before he left that now dead mic on the left aisle. I didn't see anyone in his seat once we got the film going after break. Tim didn't show for the final class, although to be fair there was only one more class left, and that is the one that they screened Episode 1. I can't honestly say I blame him.

I knew a few people who took the class, and I guess Tim turned in his final about thirty minutes into the test. Those finals are two to three hour multi-part essay tests, and you take them in the big theater, so everyone saw him turn it in way, way before anyone else finished. I'd love to have read what he wrote in that bluebook.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

amusinginquiry posted:

Since the original is such a wonderful post, here it is in its entirety:
I don't get it, why is being an rear end in a top hat to an enamored fan an example of Lucas being "the smartest guy in the room?"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

McSpanky posted:

I'm sure Lucas is totally broken up about the bed full of a slurry of finely shredded thousand-dollar bills and colloidal silver he sleeps on every night.

(Hint: Lucas negotiated an enormous percentage of the merchandising rights for the Star Wars franchise that would be considered completely merciless by modern standards. He was extremely forward-thinking in that respect and totally foresaw the rise of merchandising as a powerful financial concern all its own, not just a little deal on the side.)

This is the thing, doing stuff like writing Carrie Fisher's contract (and likely everyone else's) so she didn't own the rights to her likeness is clear forward thinking on very aggressive merchandising. I agree with Danger's reading of Star Wars as largely radical which makes the contrast with the aggressive marketing so strange to me.

This article about a Star Wars computer game showing the Empire to have very strong parallels with modern US foreign policy for instance has always rung very true to me: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/column/108452-tie-fighter-a-post-911-parable/ The uproar it caused was hilarious.

One could read the original trilogy as an allegory for Lucas' opinion of the studio system and that with the films' success he found being rich and powerful was ok thanks. The prequel's critique of the corrupt and ineffective nature of liberalism would seem to invalidate that though. A rich liberal attacking Bush was nothing special but the outcome of the prequels leads to a suggestion radical politics, not liberal refrom, were the necessary response to the outcome of Bush.

Danger posted:

I can't say that Lucas has any sort of enthusiasm for this appropriation either. In fact, he seems to disdain it. For instance: "They died".

I can't say I agree with this. From the beginning and consistently throughout the six Star Wars films Lucas has used a license he until recently had near total control of to pursue pretty much all possible merchandising opportunities. A guy with a disdain for appropriation of the film's message probably wouldn't have allowed the use of Yoda, probably the most anti-materialist character in the films, to sell mobile phone contracts in 2011.

Which makes the contradiction all the more jarring.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dolphin posted:

I don't get it, why is being an rear end in a top hat to an enamored fan an example of Lucas being "the smartest guy in the room?"

SMG is the one who claimed Lucas is the smartest guy in the room. If you go back and read his posts on the prequels (some of them in this thread) it gives you a better idea of why he thinks so. Basically that he is casting himself as the Empire who controls all this stuff and makes it terrible while the Rebels are the people pirating the original untouched movies and fighting back against this garbage. That is terribly paraphrased and summarized so you should definitely look for his actual posts.

Danger was the one who said that this interview proved he wasn't dumb. That's a pretty low bar so he will probably have to explain why himself, but it does seem like a pretty calculated way to gently caress with someone who loves your movies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

SMG is the one who claimed Lucas is the smartest guy in the room. If you go back and read his posts on the prequels (some of them in this thread) it gives you a better idea of why he thinks so. Basically that he is casting himself as the Empire who controls all this stuff and makes it terrible while the Rebels are the people pirating the original untouched movies and fighting back against this garbage. That is terribly paraphrased and summarized so you should definitely look for his actual posts.

Danger was the one who said that this interview proved he wasn't dumb. That's a pretty low bar so he will probably have to explain why himself, but it does seem like a pretty calculated way to gently caress with someone who loves your movies.

I think the distinction is made here that that manchild doesn't love the movie as an act of creation, he loves the movie for what it depicts. A True Artist might get incensed about this. Whether or not you think this applies to Lucas, well.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
That "They died" reply is hilarious, and if someone sincerely was emotionally bothered by it, some time with Mr. Psychologist may be in order. It's pretty clearly very dry humor on his part, but even if it isn't, you can imagine it as the aggregation of being asked that same question for 20 years straight.

But let's assume it was completely sincere. Does someone's love of Star Trek become diminished when Shatner goes on SNL and tells fans to "get a life"? What about when Sean Connery professed to "hate" what Bond had done to his career, and the annoyances it created?

These are fictitious characters that exist independently of the resentment their caretakers may profess to have. Alec Guinness was extremely bothered by how enraptured people had become by Star Wars and once told a child (who told the actor he had seen the movie dozens of times) that if he wanted to do Mr. Guinness a favor, to never see the movie again; Harrison Ford is incredibly dismissive of Han Solo. Being a fan and going through the grind of making these things will result in two completely different perspectives. It is not Lucas's job to baby people who clearly have a bit too much invested in a fake world.

I love Star Wars, and there's nothing any of its actors or filmmakers could say to change that. It would be nice if they shared the audience's enthusiasm, but that's not always the case.

As for the merchandising: I would agree it's been absolutely shameless, but it's hard to dismiss the billions it's generated that Lucas has funneled directly into charitable causes. If a loving Yoda mobile phone ad means some kid gets medical help, then let that little green troll have at it. I think that trumps betraying the fictional morals of a fictional character.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

That "They died" reply is hilarious, and if someone sincerely was emotionally bothered by it, some time with Mr. Psychologist may be in order. It's pretty clearly very dry humor on his part, but even if it isn't, you can imagine it as the aggregation of being asked that same question for 20 years straight.

But let's assume it was completely sincere. Does someone's love of Star Trek become diminished when Shatner goes on SNL and tells fans to "get a life"? What about when Sean Connery professed to "hate" what Bond had done to his career, and the annoyances it created?

These are fictitious characters that exist independently of the resentment their caretakers may profess to have. Alec Guinness was extremely bothered by how enraptured people had become by Star Wars and once told a child (who told the actor he had seen the movie dozens of times) that if he wanted to do Mr. Guinness a favor, to never see the movie again; Harrison Ford is incredibly dismissive of Han Solo. Being a fan and going through the grind of making these things will result in two completely different perspectives. It is not Lucas's job to baby people who clearly have a bit too much invested in a fake world.

I love Star Wars, and there's nothing any of its actors or filmmakers could say to change that. It would be nice if they shared the audience's enthusiasm, but that's not always the case.

As for the merchandising: I would agree it's been absolutely shameless, but it's hard to dismiss the billions it's generated that Lucas has funneled directly into charitable causes. If a loving Yoda mobile phone ad means some kid gets medical help, then let that little green troll have at it. I think that trumps betraying the fictional morals of a fictional character.
Nah, it's just being an rear end in a top hat to your fans. The fan in the story didn't overstep any normal social boundaries, it was a QA session that George Lucas agreed to do. I'm not saying that George Lucas is Satan or anything but being an rear end in a top hat isn't hard to do, it just requires that you be an rear end in a top hat. A more polite response would have been something like "I haven't really thought about it" or "there weren't any plans to continue the story after that movie" or even "I get asked that a lot and I'd rather not talk about that but thank you for your question."

Poor George Lucas though, his fans aren't exactly the fans that he wanted for his many billion dollar franchise, that must be terrible.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

It's a very Zen answer. The questioner already had his answer; it was in the question. They had more adventures. Lucas' reply pointed out the folly of asking him, as if he were the curator of historical documents. He was inviting that guy to use his imagination instead of relying on someone else to do it for him.

If you meet Yoda on the road, kill him.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Thulsa Doom posted:

It's a very Zen answer. The questioner already had his answer; it was in the question. They had more adventures. Lucas' reply pointed out the folly of asking him, as if he were the curator of historical documents. He was inviting that guy to use his imagination instead of relying on someone else to do it for him.

If you meet Yoda on the road, kill him.

If that was his intention there's a far better way to express it.

"You tell me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
That story is the epitome of shitthatdidnthappen.txt and I wish that people would stop beating their laser swords over it.

• Locked thread