Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

kitten smoothie posted:

Maybe this is me being older, but I'd actually choose B.

- You're working on a product that you feel is higher quality. You wouldn't believe the hit to your morale when you go in every day working on what you feel is a bad product, and trying to sell people on it with a straight face.
- You feel like you'd have more say in the design
- Better work/life balance and 401k.

The extra 30 minutes on the train does suck but it seems like it'd balance out. The 2 miles of walking to the BART stop and back is free exercise.

I personally could not give a poo poo about ping-pong in the office, because you're not getting paid to play ping-pong.

And a take-home company laptop just means an implicit expectation that you will take work home. In my mind it's bad form to mix business & personal stuff, so it's not like that take-home laptop is a no-strings-attached free laptop for home.

I pretty much agree with this perspective. Of course, work/life balance is hugely important to me. Sometimes I'm in the zone and end up staying until 10 because I'm excited and am so close to getting something to work. But more often, even when I'm working on something I love, I want to get out at normal human hours to meet up with friends or whatever real life thing I want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
I'd go B for the reasons tk and kitten smoothie raised. I'm done with the "it's a fun environment! we all drink all the time!but we expect you to join the 24/7 death march" type of job.

Either way you've got a great opportunity to negotiate. Send a counter-offer to B, ask for more vacation days and a higher salary to offset the loss in benefits you'd otherwise get. Having two strong offers leaves you in the best position imaginable.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
Thanks for all the advice posted in response. I feel like I should clarify a couple things. While I do think Company B's app is better, by no means did I mean to imply that Company A's product was subpar in any way. It is actually an application I use quite frequently before even applying there, and would be a product I would be proud to be a part of the development team on. While I do think that the work/life balance at Company B would be a bit nicer, Company A is an established, large-ish company and don't do the startup 'work 12 hours a day' type of deal. I think the balance is fairly even at both companies, but I do expect to work a bit more hours over the course of a month at Company A. However the commute is so much nicer I think that I would get home around the same time every day at both companies. I'm also a fairly healthy person so getting some extra exercise in a longer walk is not really a perk for me.

Meshing well with the team and culture was the biggest priority for me, and after mulling it over for a while I decided to go with my gut and went with Company A. I felt like I connected very well with the iOS team, and while the other guys were great I didn't think it was as good a fit. However, I did manage to use the other offer as leverage and got another $5,000 added to Company A's offer, which was awesome. I'm very excited to start working as a software developer, and am still shocked that I was able to get such a great salary right out of college. Thanks again for all the advice given, I took it all to heart and it helped me make the final decision.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sounds like you thought it all through really well, congrats on the new gig!

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Hey thread, I need some advice on logistics, trying to jump from my first real job to my second. When I was a student looking for my first job it was easy to schedule interviews around classes, but now that I have a job, how do I find the time to interview? Obviously I've got some time off or I could call in sick, but won't I look a little shady if I do that a couple times within a week or two? Some places have been flexible, either meeting on lunch or earlier in the morning, but others seem to insist on scheduling me for 10am on a Tuesday, pretty much necessitating an awkward, mid-week, short-notice day off.

Maybe I'm either overthinking this or trying to interview with too many places, but if anyone has advice on the logistics of all this, I'd love to hear some!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Hey thread, I need some advice on logistics, trying to jump from my first real job to my second. When I was a student looking for my first job it was easy to schedule interviews around classes, but now that I have a job, how do I find the time to interview? Obviously I've got some time off or I could call in sick, but won't I look a little shady if I do that a couple times within a week or two? Some places have been flexible, either meeting on lunch or earlier in the morning, but others seem to insist on scheduling me for 10am on a Tuesday, pretty much necessitating an awkward, mid-week, short-notice day off.

Tell the 10am Tuesday guys it won't work for you and move on. What kind of company is going to be that inflexible? Not a well run one interested in scooping good talent.

Schedule several interviews the same day, schedule early morning and afternoon interviews to take half-days off. It's only shady if you act like it's shady, just be confident and don't worry about it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Maybe I'm either overthinking this or trying to interview with too many places, but if anyone has advice on the logistics of all this, I'd love to hear some!

Take half a day off and if anyone asks (and you don't want to tell them) say it's a dentist appointment or you're getting some work done on your apartment and need to be home to let people in etc etc. No big deal.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
First off, there's nothing at all shady about taking multiple personal days. Maybe your cat has cancer. Maybe you're visiting a lawyer to deal with your horrible divorce. Maybe your house is falling apart and you need to meet all kinds of contractors. All of this would be personal business that your company has no right to nose around in. Interviewing at other companies falls in exactly the same category of things you do on your own time. You just say "I need to take a personal day Thursday next week, Friday the week after, and Monday after that." There's no reason to make up lies about what you're doing. If anyone demands to know, just say "personal business."

Depending on interview style, I would find multiple interviews in one day to be too much. But you could try to schedule them all in one week and just take the week off. That could make it easy to separate your focus on your current job from your focus in interviewing.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

lmao zebong posted:

Thanks for all the advice posted in response. I feel like I should clarify a couple things. While I do think Company B's app is better, by no means did I mean to imply that Company A's product was subpar in any way. It is actually an application I use quite frequently before even applying there, and would be a product I would be proud to be a part of the development team on. While I do think that the work/life balance at Company B would be a bit nicer, Company A is an established, large-ish company and don't do the startup 'work 12 hours a day' type of deal. I think the balance is fairly even at both companies, but I do expect to work a bit more hours over the course of a month at Company A. However the commute is so much nicer I think that I would get home around the same time every day at both companies. I'm also a fairly healthy person so getting some extra exercise in a longer walk is not really a perk for me.

Meshing well with the team and culture was the biggest priority for me, and after mulling it over for a while I decided to go with my gut and went with Company A. I felt like I connected very well with the iOS team, and while the other guys were great I didn't think it was as good a fit. However, I did manage to use the other offer as leverage and got another $5,000 added to Company A's offer, which was awesome. I'm very excited to start working as a software developer, and am still shocked that I was able to get such a great salary right out of college. Thanks again for all the advice given, I took it all to heart and it helped me make the final decision.

Way to go! I'm glad you took the opportunity to negotiate your salary. Far too many people don't.

I hope you enjoy the job :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been at my current job since May, started as a part time intern, worked full time over the summer, had about 2 months of part time, then I've been full time since then until now as a salaried employee instead of an intern. On my resume, should I list this job as starting in October as a developer, or since my internship began? My workload / responsibilities haven't changed one bit between intern and employee.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I would probably do May - October as Software Development Intern, then October+ as Software Development Engineer. When people see it's the same company they'll know what that means, I think. In the software world, the difference between an intern and an entry-level engineer isn't that big anyway.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 1, 2013

Jazzcactus
May 17, 2004

Rising up from the heat of the desert!
This may have been discussed already in the thread but a quick question.

Does the prestige of the school you attend in order to receive your BSCS matter? I was bent on attending a tier one school (University of Minnesota) and I just looked and found a state run college that offers a bachelors in computer science for a mere fraction of the cost of my preferred school. Will I be laughed at with such a degree or do internships, actual knowledge, and not being a dumb rear end have more merit?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Jazzcactus posted:

Does the prestige of the school you attend in order to receive your BSCS matter? I was bent on attending a tier one school (University of Minnesota) and I just looked and found a state run college that offers a bachelors in computer science for a mere fraction of the cost of my preferred school. Will I be laughed at with such a degree or do internships, actual knowledge, and not being a dumb rear end have more merit?
I think it can vary by employer. But once you've been employed a year or two, most places really don't care. In any case it's likely worth finding out whether the alternative's program is good, regardless of its prestige level.

Jazzcactus
May 17, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

In any case it's likely worth finding out whether the alternative's program is good, regardless of its prestige level.

What criteria should I be looking for when judging?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Jazzcactus posted:

First off, University of Minn is not a "tier one" school. Not to be snooty about it since the school I went to is ranked around what University of Minn is ranked in CS right now but from my experience (I'm in Bay Area), most people around here probably aren't familiar with University of Minn. And while my school ranks near the same as yours, people have at least heard of the school I went to because it's in California.

So does it matter? In previous posts I have said that it doesn't really matter unless you're looking to apply for Google. Now as I'm starting to help my company interview for interns, I still would say that it still doesn't matter. What you've done side projects wise is still more important. But being in a "tier one" school is almost like a pre-requisite up here because despite being a small startup, we still get a glut of resumes from top schools. That may be because we have a well known VC firm funding us though.

And out of all the people that have worked at my company, the school I went to is the lowest tiered as every other Engineer attended either Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, Waterloo, Cornell, or Harvard at a BS/Masters level. They are all without fail some of the smartest people I've ever met so no doubt we probably give a lot of those students more credit (since it has worked so well for us).

But to be honest, right now if you can show you're hard working or you network with the right people you can easily get your chance regardless. The problem though, is it's hard to say what will happen in the tech field in 4 years. Maybe in 4 years there will be a glut of people graduating in computer science because they watched, "The Social Network" and it inspired people to start wearing hoodies and be smarming rear end bastards thinking if they can just code they can be the next Zuckerberg.

So maybe that glut of graduates forces companies to start filtering like how the financial industry filters, which is by school. Or maybe in 4 years all of the programming is done by machines and no one can get a tech job. It's all very hard to predict.

I'm not saying you should go one way or another, but you should research the University of Minnesota and assess how involved they are in getting their students internships. You also have to consider that with all the education that is available online now, maybe 4 years from now no one will really care about degrees from brick and mortar schools and you may have just spent a lot of money for no reason.

To close my long ramble. What school you go to isn't hugely important, but having a degree from Stanford will probably get you a callback from most companies just because it's Stanford. But honestly with the dearth of good candidates _right now_ no one is ignoring an applicant because they don't come from a Tier One CS school (at least companies that NEED help).

Edit: This POV may not apply to anywhere but Silicon Valley. But I imagine a lot of companies that aren't in the major tech cities are probably evaluating resumes the old fashion way, by school prestige.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 1, 2013

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
I'm making an app for people who are interested in having sex with their friends, to facilitate the sex-mentioning process. Is this something to leave off my resume? I should probably mention that it's my first project outside of school or work in probably a year-ish.

it is fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 1, 2013

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

it is posted:

I'm making an app for people who are interested in having sex with their friends, to facilitate the sex-mentioning process. Is this something to leave off my resume?

Is it Bang With Friends? http://bangwithfriends.com/

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Stoph posted:

Is it Bang With Friends? http://bangwithfriends.com/

It's actually not Bang with Friends, it's a competitor to it that has some functionality Bang with Friends needs and lacks.

unsanitary
Dec 14, 2007

don't sweat the technique

Jazzcactus posted:

Which school is it? I go to the U of M right now for CS, and I know a few people around who got CS degrees at UMD, UWEC & UW-Madison, and they're all doing fine.

The U of M does pretty well trying to fit students in with internships, so I think the bigger question is how are the employment opportunities at the school you're looking at?

Ultimately, I don't think it matters, as long as you're in it because you want to be in it and really enjoy the material.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Strong Sauce posted:

The problem though, is it's hard to say what will happen in the tech field in 4 years. Maybe in 4 years there will be a glut of people graduating in computer science because they watched, "The Social Network" and it inspired people to start wearing hoodies and be smarming rear end bastards thinking if they can just code they can be the next Zuckerberg.

Reminds me of this, from my undergrad days. That second green peak represents all of us who got into CS programs while the dot-com boom was hot and graduated into a recession after the dot-coms imploded.

Things are heating up again. I feel like things are different this time around though; the job growth driven by people who realize hiring developers will actually help their bottom line. Not like the 90s where the demand for talent evaporated when the market realized all these people were just finding new ways to lose money on the internet.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Reminds me of this, from my undergrad days. That second green peak represents all of us who got into CS programs while the dot-com boom was hot and graduated into a recession after the dot-coms imploded.

Things are heating up again. I feel like things are different this time around though; the job growth driven by people who realize hiring developers will actually help their bottom line. Not like the 90s where the demand for talent evaporated when the market realized all these people were just finding new ways to lose money on the internet.

I went into school from 2001-2005. I had literally gotten Flooz coupons (look it up kids) at the beginning of summer and they were closed by the end of summer.

If you were actually into CS because you enjoyed it, I don't think you were actually too worried about job prospects (I mean if you were you would have transferred out). I wasn't too worried about job prospects because I had done an internship doing PHP (don't laugh :() and at worst I was predicting that companies would need websites by the time I was done. The prospect of doing Enterprise Desktop Apps did not appeal to me.

I agree though that the dotcom bust 2.0 people are calling for is not going to happen. There's definitely going to be a contraction soon because some of the social media companies are really really dumb and VC money is probably going to start shying away from it.

Within the next 4 years we'll find out whats happening with the glut of developers in school right now. There are so many resources at a students fingertips now that if you don't have a side project and you don't goto an Ivy League school you are straight up going to be outclassed by your peers. Again to go back to when I was in college, most students had probably never touched PHP or done HTML or JavaScript. I feel that's like a minimum you need to do now to get noticed by companies that are doing stuff on the web.

it is posted:

I'm making an app for people who are interested in having sex with their friends, to facilitate the sex-mentioning process. Is this something to leave off my resume? I should probably mention that it's my first project outside of school or work in probably a year-ish.

Uhm, wow. The risk is probably more from you ruffling some HR feathers and getting filtered out by them. I guess another risk would be being labelled as a "brogrammer" by the hiring engineers/developers. My suggestion is to see if you can break the app apart and release things as "libraries" and write those libraries on your resume rather than talking about the app itself.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

glut of developers

It's the same as it always was: be good at what you do, get internships, get jobs where you do meaningful work -> lead a successful, fulfilling life. The reality is most people coming out of CS programs are somewhere between dumb as rocks and mediocre, it's just that now the mediocre don't have a guaranteed job out of school.

And as for languages, I wouldn't stress so much as long as you can demonstrate that you can pick up languages/frameworks/etc. quickly. Even if I were to hire you as just a front-end dev, your career growth will be severely limited by your inability to adapt. This advice is probably less applicable to very early stage companies who need expertise immediately, fwiw.

Similarly, if you can show proficiency in algorithms and architecting software then you should have no problem in this career. Both are rare skills and are rarer as a combination.

EDIT: I don't really get the tier whoring going on here. Yes, if you go to a school that is not in the top ~20 universities or liberal arts colleges it will be harder to get hired because people in that group have already cleared several hurdles showing they're qualified. The only time the quality of your CS department will really save you is if your school is otherwise poorly ranked, but that ranking usually corresponds to their graduate program (i.e. not your BA/BS).

FamDav fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 1, 2013

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The other thing about tiers is if you get someone like me who is from :canada: reviewing your resume, I won't loving know one American school from another, and it won't mean poo poo to me that you went to FancyPants U.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
So..although I'm relatively happy with my job I want to poke my head out and see what kind of offers I can get. I spent the last two hours updating my resume (so I haven't given it a really good look-over), does anyone have any tips? It's a lot better than my old one but it still feels like a bunch of bullshit

http://i.imgur.com/yCmhX8f.png

kinda short... but I don't think I could say anything else interesting about my jobs. I could add some side projects, but it feels weird putting that on my resume, especially with my github at the top. The two projects I could reference are a microprocessor emulator and a chess engine, but maybe I will get further with my toy compiler by the time I actually seriously look at jobs

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm gonna catch flak for this, but: Objectives suck. Also, your object is a weird mish-mash of an objective and a summary of yourself.

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!

Pie Colony posted:

So..although I'm relatively happy with my job I want to poke my head out and see what kind of offers I can get. I spent the last two hours updating my resume (so I haven't given it a really good look-over), does anyone have any tips? It's a lot better than my old one but it still feels like a bunch of bullshit

http://i.imgur.com/yCmhX8f.png

kinda short... but I don't think I could say anything else interesting about my jobs. I could add some side projects, but it feels weird putting that on my resume, especially with my github at the top. The two projects I could reference are a microprocessor emulator and a chess engine, but maybe I will get further with my toy compiler by the time I actually seriously look at jobs

Definitely cut your objective statement (everybody already knows your objective: get food so you don't die). Anything meaningful you'd put in your objective statement belongs in a cover letter. I would also suggest elaborating more about your specific responsibilities.

There's a dedicated thread in BFC for resumes. Career professionals post there so you'll probably get better advice.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Chasiubao posted:

I'm gonna catch flak for this, but: Objectives suck. Also, your object is a weird mish-mash of an objective and a summary of yourself.

yeah, it felt weird writing it I guess. I could take it out but then my resume definitely seems short.

also I want to write something to get across the point that I write tests for my code, but writing something like "increased test coverage from 0% to 5%" just sounds not serious

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Any Apple goons have any ideas on what I can expect for an SDE internship interview?

I have a MBP but that's pretty much all I know about Apple software.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

So our company did a huge resume review today. This is probably the first time I've had to look at resumes without someone initially filtering candidates for me.

Holy poo poo there is a lot of terrible terrible resumes people are legitimately sending to actual companies. I get that mass spamming resumes is probably most optimal but at least have a resume that won't make the reviewer shake their head.

I seriously cannot believe how little effort people put into their resumes. "fix ie6 bugs" is not something that should be on a resume.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've only seen horrible resumes from campus career fairs, and honestly I'd say 95% of them get tossed before we even get back in the car. Some might have actually been worth saving, had the student actually taken advantage of the free resume review they can get from their campus career services office. Instead I got a lot of six line resumes that have their name, address, graduation date/major, and that one summer they worked at Burger World.

Strong Sauce posted:

"fix ie6 bugs" is not something that should be on a resume.

Unless they worked for Microsoft. In which case I'd know they're lying because clearly fixing bugs in IE6 was something nobody did.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 2, 2013

Jazzcactus
May 17, 2004

unsanitary posted:

Which school is it?

I am considering Metro State because of the availability and the price.

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

While talking with a friend over email about me landing a job, he asked me some of the topics I felt got hit on a lot during interviews and I figured I would share my answer here in the hopes that it helps someone looking for a job.

Some frequently hit on topics that I got a lot during the interview process:
Recursion: Both understanding the need of a base case and the next recursive call, understanding what is actually happening when you call a recursive algorithm and walking through each step of it's winding/unwinding.
Big-O: Almost every algorithm I wrote I had to describe it's asymptotic complexity.
Tree/Graph Traversal: sometimes explicit, like 'find every path between two arbitrary nodes in a graph' and sometimes hidden within the problem where it wasn't immediately clear that a tree is what you need to use to solve the problem.
Hashing: understanding the difference between hashing data structures and other data structures like a linked list or an array, and the differences it creates when searching for an object in the data structure.

That's all the CS topics I can remember off the top of my head that came up frequently. Other things I found during the interview process was just being calm, and thinking out loud. Interviews really seem to respond if you try and describe your basic algorithm structure before writing code on the board. Also being able to look at your completed algorithm and find ways to make it more efficient is really important, even if you don't actually implement the changes. Also, be sure that you can talk about everything on your resume! I was asked to explain everything on my resume in almost every interview and if I had embellished anything it would have been immediately obvious. To extrapolate on that, if you have a language down on your resume and it's relevant to the position, they will almost always ask you questions related to the language to see if you're lying about your exposure to it. I applied to a lot of iOS positions, so I got things like "What is the difference between 'new' and 'malloc' " or questions related to iOS design patterns (MVC, using delegates, etc).

As an aside, the guy I was talking to does a weekly email group of interview topics to help you get prepared, which helped me a lot. Here's the link, I really recommend it!
http://codingforinterviews.com/

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Updated my resume based on yalls' criticism. Thanks for taking a look!

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~drewg1/BlankedOutResume.pdf

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Infinotize A few things:

-It's a little odd you list Unix but have no Linux experience.
-You misspelled were as where.
-I think your internship is fluff and detracts from the overall resume. It doesn't say anything important that you did.
-You don't really expand about your leadership. What did you do? And have you done anything leadership wise outside of development? (Drive designs, scrum master, management of others)
- And this bullet: "Developed and maintained functionality providing data and task synchronization." says the same thing as its sub-bullet (with more detail in the sub-bullet), so they can be combined.

I actually think you can get rid of the main bullets altogether because they don't really provide substance.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 18, 2013

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lmao zebong posted:

Hashing: understanding the difference between hashing data structures and other data structures like a linked list or an array, and the differences it creates when searching for an object in the data structure.

Thanks for mentioning this as this is the one of those things I really don't know how to do/can explain. Even though I got an A+ in the class that had a project on hashing. :ssh:

Is the Wiki on hash tables and functions a good enough resource for an overview?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Rurutia posted:

Infinotize A few things:

Thanks for the input. I have Linux experience but left it out since (although there could be a long spergy debate about it) linux is a subset of unix, but I suppose Unix/Linux isn't too clunky-looking. The main bullets are a bit redundant now that you mention it. I haven't singled out leadership experience too much beyond indicating I was dev lead on a certain project. Maybe if I get rid of some of the redundant sections I can have room to expand a little more without becoming a wall o' text.

Thanks!

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Having read a ton of resumes, done hundreds of interviews over the last 6 years, and hired/offered over 100 people jobs over the same time period.....

A person's objective has never "added" points, to me.

A person's objective has sunk them. When they send in a resume to us, and their objective is to work at X other company, or work in finance (which we aren't), etc.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
So the internship went over the 10 weeks since they liked me and I was productive (GOOD!) but is now on hold until summer (blah). I've got enough money to coast until then, but I'd much rather be coding at work than just at school, since I feel that I learn a great deal more in the work place, I get paid to do it there, and it's considerably more fun than "poop out Java project in single file so professor can compile easier and have him give you A."

Since I have work experience I can point at, very positive feedback from the lead dev and my boss, and two completed projects I can reference, I think this puts me in a good position for a CS student, be they a Junior or a recent grad. I'd obviously like to complete my degree, but at this point I'd rather get on my feet and independent, on my own, and preferably in an area I actually want to be in, finishing later or with night classes, than remain a broke twit.

Basically, what I want to know is how useful it would be to try to go out and get a full time job right now - and if that's a bad idea or just difficult to accomplish, how to go about getting a good, long term part time job. The place I interned at would happily do contract work with me, so even if I went across the country I wouldn't be cutting ties or burning any bridges. I also have the fact that I could just sit on my rear end, crank out my stupid school projects, work on my own stuff - or just be a scummy college student - and fall right into this in the summer, though that is more of a consolation to me than something I'd choose.

What would be a good strategy for me to take at this point? I REALLY want to get out on my own. I really like learning new things. I really like programming - should I put the degree on hold, or be careful to insist that I finish it?

FWIW, I've got this posted in the jobs thread, if anyone would be so kind as to critique it. I'll have my updated resume available to post soon - my school has a lovely person who helps us polish our resumes, which got me my first internship with zero experience in the first place. I'm thinking with her help I might have an easy time of it, but I still would appreciate input from people in the field.

Another thing I'm considering is if I should stick to doing more CRUD work, or move to doing web. The only web experience I have is teaching myself asp.net and making a pretty basic reservation page for clients to use with their own websites, but I liked it, and I know there's a big market for it, and it's not the worst career choice one could make. Would trying to get an entry level position doing that be worth it now, or should I wait until after I do some web project on my own? I've been meaning to do "my name dot com" (or something similar) for some time, and I now have the time to do so.

I apologize for the big pile of questions; I just don't know what to do with myself right now.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Another thing I'm considering is if I should stick to doing more CRUD work, or move to doing web. The only web experience I have is teaching myself asp.net and making a pretty basic reservation page for clients to use with their own websites, but I liked it, and I know there's a big market for it, and it's not the worst career choice one could make. Would trying to get an entry level position doing that be worth it now, or should I wait until after I do some web project on my own? I've been meaning to do "my name dot com" (or something similar) for some time, and I now have the time to do so.

Web is 99% CRUD unless you're talking front end javascript manipulation, web design (as opposed to programming), or games.

What sort of web project are you thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

I would highly recommend that if you can afford it sticking it out and earning your CS degree is well worth it. You're not wrong in that you learn the intricacies of programming and software development doing actual programming work, but getting a degree is more than learning CS concepts in a dry environment. Getting your degree shows to future employers that you can finish things you started. It shows that you can complete things that may be hard or slightly boring, and that you don't give up when you start to lose interest. With your experience outside of school and a degree, you will be in a prime position once you finally graduate, and I'll bet you'll be happy with the decision.

BirdOfPlay posted:

Thanks for mentioning this as this is the one of those things I really don't know how to do/can explain. Even though I got an A+ in the class that had a project on hashing. :ssh:

Is the Wiki on hash tables and functions a good enough resource for an overview?
That's what I used to relearn the concepts after I got stuck on a hashing problem that was asked during an interview. I should say that I never had to actually implement any hashing algorithms or anything super complex, but being aware of how the concept works and it's benefits came up frequently.

lmao zebong fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 6, 2013