Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

There is a controller configuration menu in-game, but it's a bit wonky. Playing with a keyboard and mouse works fine, though, so if you find that playing with a controller is unwieldy, then you won't be harmed by going back to KB+M, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The game is live now! Go get the client and come die repeatedly group up with us.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Don't mind if I do!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
it's also available on steam now as well.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just in case anyone gets confused, you may need to restart steam to get the game to install.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I have no idea whats going on and its a-ok. Would like to know how to get to where I can do dungeons over and over. Just did the training one.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

You're about to get access to the Caligrase Sewers, which is a pretty huge dungeon that has a few quests in it.

If you see Steak Meatslab on Meryweather, that's me.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Mauve MacPhist here. Probably going to make a Gnome Priest named Delphine as well, because holy poo poo their angry emote is the best.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I'm still at work, but has there been any talk as to which server most goons are going to roll on?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

There's only Meryweather and the EU server whose name I forget. I'd imagine you'll want to roll on Meryweather.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Shlapintogan posted:

There's only Meryweather and the EU server whose name I forget. I'd imagine you'll want to roll on Meryweather.
Well, that certainly makes things a bit easier, thanks.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Just saw this on Steam. I love the Wizardry games so this is awesome. Too bad I keep getting an error from Steam about no licenses or whatever when I try to download/install it.

E: restarting Steam fixed that problem.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
I'm going to download this when I get home from work... Hopefully you're all still playing this game.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Went with a dwarf fighter, name is Wonk Zazz. I seem to lose intelligence and piety when I level up, not sure why.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
When you level up your current condition matters. Never stay in the free room when youre going to level cause it fucks your stats all up.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Game just sits on Connect when I try to start up.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Shlapintogan posted:

The game is live now! Go get the client and come die repeatedly group up with us.

Downloading now. Wasn't digging Age of Wushu, and I love the Xeen/Wiz/Dark Souls/"Old-school" dungeon crawling games so this looks right up my alley. Any guild/alliance system in place for goons or is it pretty much every man for himself?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

You've got to get to a higher soul rank to start a guild, but when someone gets there, we can start one up.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

PadreScout posted:

When you level up your current condition matters. Never stay in the free room when youre going to level cause it fucks your stats all up.

drat starting over then, thanks for the tip.

Souai
Dec 16, 2007

PureRok posted:

Game just sits on Connect when I try to start up.

I had the same issue, but it went through after about 5-10 minutes sitting at that screen. It's probably an authorization server volume issue.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
How the hell does one make money in this game?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
If it's like normal Wizardry then it's by doing quests and selling loot.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Anybody want to party up? I'm Eoin Moirai in-game. I'm about to do the quest for joining the Adventurer's Guild.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

PureRok posted:

Anybody want to party up? I'm Eoin Moirai in-game. I'm about to do the quest for joining the Adventurer's Guild.

I don't think you can party until after that one.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

You can, it just puts you in a separate instance while you do the first dungeon.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren: If you're going to be online at any point tonight, jump on channel 8 on Merryweather. :siren: I'm going to be trying to get to Soul Rank 3 so I can start a goon union.

a goonion

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This game is surprisingly pretty decent. They really managed to retain that Wizardry feeling while also bringing in slightly-crappy Souls-esque action combat. The cash shop stuff seems almost entirely superfluous, too.

Soul name is Snail if anyone wants to party up. I'm playing as a priest at the moment.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
In game as Jollo HAW at the moment, midget fighter. This is way more fun than it has any right to be, and totally feels like it should have come out 5+ years ago.

EDIT: For anyone who is getting "stuck" at screens when loading or logging in or changing channels, the servers just appear to be really slow right now. Just be patient and you'll move to the next screen eventually.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 31, 2013

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I am just about to enter the sewers, and there is a lot of promise.

I am finding myself pretty annoyed by invasive and pointless cutscenes though... has anyone encountered a single cutscene that is worth not instantly skipping? Any time they say anything important it seems like the characters will immediately repeat the details much more efficiently if you just talk to them again.

And no game has ever made me wait so long to increase the resolution. I guess the fact that all my annoyance is in the presentation, UI, etc. is probably a good thing, but still.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Got a goon team in sewer channel 51 if anyone else wants in, just send a party request or whisper Jollo.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
In with soul name Kreczor... just started and chose a fighter. No idea what I'm doing yet.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just found a purple glowing mob in the sewers named Lone Wolf Silverfang. He hit me for 871 damage (I have like 210 hp). I just remembered the game telling me not to approach poo poo with glowing auras. Oops!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Getting killed by trapped treasure chest in the newbie dungeon, I don't think I have the patience for a roguelike MMO :(

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Just saw this on Steam and decided to do a search on SA. Glad there is something up. Installing now then I'll be on.

Anyone purchase the starter kit and if so would they recommend it?

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Gonna download and try this. No idea if it will be my kind of thing or not.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Servers are being restarted in a few minutes. Hopefully it'll do something about the inordinately long load times.

In other news, it is going to take longer than I had thought to get to SR3 unless this next guild quest gives a shitload of points. If anyone is going through Deltis Keep when the servers come back up, let me know.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Yeah, currently getting stuck at "Connect" at the log in.

The forums are awful for this game.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've been having fun so far. It's definitely got a dungeon crawler vibe similar to DDO, but the twitch aspect feels more important for doing well in combat even though I think it's a bit clunkier than DDO control scheme wise.

Here's some tips:

TRAPS: When you get an exclamation point over your head, that means there is a trap close by. If you look around carefully (usually on the ground) there will be some red sparkly things - standing on/close to those will trigger the trap. These are usually in the middle of the passageway/room so when in doubt, hug the walls when you get that "!".

REPAIRS: Even the first real dungeon (sewers) will wear down your weapon and possibly some of your armor before you manage to get through all of it (unless you are just running past everything). Keep an eye on your durability and run to town to repair when it's convenient (need to turn in quests, heal up, etc).

COMBAT: You will get skills that get bonus damage when used immediately after other skills. This means you should save up your combat energy until you have enough to chain these skills together. You'll sometimes have to eat a hit or two to do this but it's usually worth it. Otherwise, mobs usually have a pretty easy rhythm of attacks to time blocks or dodges. Speaking of dodging, don't forget that you can dodge directionally with SPACE + direction key. Dodging back is usually good, but if you've got your back to the wall/other mobs are behind you, it's sometimes nice to go in another direction.

RESTING: You can pay 100g to get fully healed and 150 condition at the Inn in Heroes Square as long as you're Soul Rank 2 or below. This seems to be the best way to keep your condition up as a new player. In dungeons, the fountains are handy but Camps work great as well, especially if you're partied. Everyone will get both HP and Mana back just by chilling out in area of effect, and unlike most (free) fountains, camps can heal you to full.

DYING: Don't sweat dying until you're Soul Rank 2 - you can't get permadeaded until then (nor can you be the target of PVP actions).

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So game is down right after it comes out? I guess I shouldn't be surprised but fairly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

PadreScout posted:

When you level up your current condition matters.
Can anyone back this up? Looks like there's been argument about it on the forums.

• Locked thread