Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Curious what you'd do with 2000 (or whatever a pallet is) cheap-rear end routers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Or you could just order in a bunch of Ubiquiti clients and have it done a few months ago :smug:

Honestly, I'm glad that Mikrotik is catching up in terms of useful form factors. My last employer (I left the WISP biz a few months back) bought and used a LOT of Ubiquiti Bullets, mainly because of the awesome shape and size; if these had been out a year ago, they likely would have bought a few hundred of them instead (because let's face it, Mikrotik software is ridiculously superior).

The WISP I use uses all Mikrotik routing and Ubiquiti Nanobridges/Bullets, so it was nice to talk Mikrotik with someone.Honestly, I wish I could get a job working for him, also if it was cheaper to buy used Mikrotik stuff (I stupidly sold my PC Engines Alix boards and need to build a small WAP with a miniPCI card).

I'm selling off most of the extra stuff I've bought to do the wireless bridging (the AirGrids were a last minute purchase and nullified almost everything I bought!), so here is the SA-Mart thread.

CuddleChunks approved me posting this, thanks again!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

falz posted:

Curious what you'd do with 2000 (or whatever a pallet is) cheap-rear end routers?

Sell 'em!

These are our favorite home wifi routers and with my fancy little script they're a cinch to setup. Zip zap, Mikrotik running the home network and Mikrotik linking their homes via wifi. We can not keep these dang things in stock they go so fast.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

What happens when your customer wants to e.g. change their WiFi password? Do you provide them with instructions for Winbox/Webfig, tell them to "go hog wild/figure it out," or some sort of remote configuration support? They're not exactly dumbed-down for the average consumer like D-Link or Linksys.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Change their wifi password? What bizarro world do you live in where change of any computer component is acceptable? "That's the password my grandpappy told my daddy and my daddy told me. If it were good enough for Jesus, it were good enough for me!"

We have the units setup with a standardized user/pass so we can remote in at their request and help them out. I think we've had to do that two or three times so far. If that glitches out (whoever was programming the router that day ran an old version of the script or something didn't setup quite right) then we can remote into their computer and do it from a local winbox session.

Like most consumer routers, people just want to put the pretty box into place and forget about it. Technical customers generally don't buy routers from us because they hit up NewEgg and save a few bucks getting whatever their nerd friends think is the latest and greatest. Then they argue with us about how this is a top of the line gaming router and a bloo bloo bloo it can't possibly have a poo poo PPPoE engine. :qq:

Sorry, flashbacks.

Every once in a while I think about building a guide to the webbox interface. It is *SWEET* compared to the earlier versions and doesn't cripple your MikroTik like it did back in the pre 5.x days. They've made huge strides on making it more configurable for normal folks.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Especially if you're using one device with two wireless cards (say, one for their connection upstream, and a second one as an in-house AP), that sounds like a recipe for horror.

Did MetaRouter ever get fully-baked? I liked the idea of giving the customer their own little thing they can play with, without giving them full access to the device, but it seemed a little weird and clunky the last time I looked at it. (That was probably a couple years ago, though.)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Especially if you're using one device with two wireless cards (say, one for their connection upstream, and a second one as an in-house AP), that sounds like a recipe for horror.

Wuh? No no no, the CPE is safely outside the house up on their roofline somewhere. I'm talking about RB751 wireless routers. They're cheap and lovely and our vendor suuuucckkkksss at keeping them in stock for us to order. It's a nightmare.

Still, they have been fantastic to work with compared to other routers.

As for MetaRouter, I think one of our admins was hot to try that out but it didn't go anywhere. Also it wouldn't give us anything within the house to work with so that plan pretty much got ditched.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 28, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

A quick trip report - we couldn't get stocks of the RB751 wireless routers in at work in the quantities we needed. They had them backordered to hell and back so we ended up switching to the RB951 series.

It's half the output power, half the processor and almost half the size of the RB751. It has no external antenna and no indicator light for the wifi card.

Despite that, it's a cute little trooper of a wireless router and you get all the power of the Mikrotik OS behind it. We haven't had any complaints about it out in the field so far and it's pretty dang cheap to order for your own use. All in all, I'd say it's a fully capable home router that's a serious contender for filling in the gaps between Apple and Asus's products and other cheap-as-dirt wifi routers.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

A quick trip report - we couldn't get stocks of the RB751 wireless routers in at work in the quantities we needed. They had them backordered to hell and back so we ended up switching to the RB951 series.

It's half the output power, half the processor and almost half the size of the RB751. It has no external antenna and no indicator light for the wifi card.

Despite that, it's a cute little trooper of a wireless router and you get all the power of the Mikrotik OS behind it. We haven't had any complaints about it out in the field so far and it's pretty dang cheap to order for your own use. All in all, I'd say it's a fully capable home router that's a serious contender for filling in the gaps between Apple and Asus's products and other cheap-as-dirt wifi routers.

Thanks for the heads up. Now I can wait until the RB951G-2HnD hits the market instead of having to buy the 7 series.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think the Mikrotik I got for my parents' place flaked out, for some reason the other ports on the switch suddely failed to link up with anything :( I'll need to confirm when I visit them what exactly happened, but hopefully r0c-n0c has decent RMA/etc support.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

What model? Some batches of R751's would flake out, but it could be fixed by powering it up with a higher voltage power supply (24vdc?) then back to the 12vdc that it came with. Somehow this was a permanent fix.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

Sell 'em!

These are our favorite home wifi routers and with my fancy little script they're a cinch to setup. Zip zap, Mikrotik running the home network and Mikrotik linking their homes via wifi. We can not keep these dang things in stock they go so fast.

Woah you guys actually sell these to customers?? I know where I'm sending people to buy home networking hardware now...

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Shinx posted:

Woah you guys actually sell these to customers?? I know where I'm sending people to buy home networking hardware now...

Yup. We finally got our 751's in off backorder. Hooray for seeing stacks of those sleek white boxes on our shelves again. It's been incredibly frustrating to consider having to move to another platform as our vendors got their supply chain sorted out.

Just for reference, most customers just want a router that is setup for service and has wifi on it. If you label tape the SSID and WPA key on the unit you've solved most support calls right there. It's a rarity for them to call for port forwards or any such trickery.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Yup. We finally got our 751's in off backorder. Hooray for seeing stacks of those sleek white boxes on our shelves again. It's been incredibly frustrating to consider having to move to another platform as our vendors got their supply chain sorted out.

Just for reference, most customers just want a router that is setup for service and has wifi on it. If you label tape the SSID and WPA key on the unit you've solved most support calls right there. It's a rarity for them to call for port forwards or any such trickery.

What's this script that's being spoken about? I haven't purchased a Mikrotik yet so I haven't had a chance to dabble with one yet. If I can get the hang of it then I'll probably use it as the standard router for anyone I support outside of work.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I built a setup script to program the router for service on our network. You fill in a couple details, paste it into a terminal window and it's ready to go. It's kind of proprietary to our network but I'll see if there's anything in there that can be teased out into a more generic version.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

MikroTik has a splash setup page for new/home users. For provisioning many, you can just paste a stock text config with a few variables changed.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

falz posted:

MikroTik has a splash setup page for new/home users. For provisioning many, you can just paste a stock text config with a few variables changed.

Oh you mean through the web interface? I'm just trying to get a feel for how it's going to function without actually touching it yet. I noticed the IPSEC note in the OP where the router has the possibility of tripping on itself when it comes to handling the load. Would this be a potential issue if I were only utilizing a VPN tunnel (with regards to large file transfers)?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I haven't really used the web interface that much, but I think it may show it there. Otherwise it does in winbox.exe (which runs nicely under WINE if you're not a windows user).

As for VPN performance, it depends on model and the type of encryption used. I haven't heard of any major issues, some of the upper models (rb1x00) have crypto offload.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

falz posted:

What model? Some batches of R751's would flake out, but it could be fixed by powering it up with a higher voltage power supply (24vdc?) then back to the 12vdc that it came with. Somehow this was a permanent fix.

So it's a RB750GL; I brought it home with me, and powered it up; only LAN port 1 was working, 2-5 were a no go. Left it hooked up to my laptop with a single cable to Port 2, and the next time I came back to look at it (few hours), Port 2 was now linking up :iiam:

Still try to feed it 24VDC? I might poke r0c-n0c and see if they'll cross-ship me a new one regardless. This model has no electrolytic caps in it, and don't see any obvious cold joints / failed components at first glance.

movax fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 4, 2013

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Definitely fire it up with a 24v adapter. It should work normally at that point. If it doesn't it might just be a busted unit in need of RMA.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I'm pretty sure my home DLink DIR-655 is dying on me, as it's disconnecting clients randomly. I saw this thread a long time ago and thought I'd check Mikrotiks out a bit more if I ever needed another one.

I was looking at getting one of these, a RB2011UAS to replace it with.

Hardware wise, it looks pretty great for the price. Especially since I want more than the 5 ports everyone decided is just fine for home routers.

Are these very difficult to set up? I work in IT, so something a bit technical doesn't scare me, but I've never touched the networking side of the house other than to cable jockey for someone in another state to tweak our Cisco stuff. I just don't want to buy this and get in over my head. My network is pretty simple, a dozen or so forwarded ports and a PPTP tunnel to my Synology is really as complicated as it gets.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Only five of the ports are gigabit. I don't know if it has holes for wall mounting, they sell a bracket for another :10bux: . Port forwarding is easy, check the wiki to make sure the pptp tunneling works the way you need it to or find something else if it doesn't.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

I was looking at getting one of these, a RB2011UAS to replace it with.
That's crazy overkill. To replace your D-Link and get stellar functionality you would have a great time with an RB751 and a cheapie 8-port gigabit switch. Plug your wired stuff into that for sweet switching action on the LAN and let the RB751's built in wireless kick the crap out of your old hardware.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

CuddleChunks posted:

That's crazy overkill. To replace your D-Link and get stellar functionality you would have a great time with an RB751 and a cheapie 8-port gigabit switch. Plug your wired stuff into that for sweet switching action on the LAN and let the RB751's built in wireless kick the crap out of your old hardware.

Cool, looks like a solid option. Ordered one from r0c-n0c. I like that it has an external antenna port as well in case I need it. I doubt I'll have issues in my small apartment though. Thanks for the advice!

krackpot
Apr 24, 2011
Does anyone know how to troubleshoot a device which does not power up? I woke up one morning with a plugged in but unpowered RB493G. It refuses to power on and I've tried swapping power cords, but no dice.

I opened the housing and there does not appear to be anything wrong with the caps or any visual damage. No burning smell coming from the PCB either.

I'm so choked right now. I loved my Mikrotik. I spent a lot of blood on that perfect config!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Verify that the wall wart is providing power.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

You can also boot it via ethernet port 1 and a Power Over Ethernet adapter. Anywhere from 12 - 28v will work. That would at least show you if the unit was powering at all.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CuddleChunks posted:

Definitely fire it up with a 24v adapter. It should work normally at that point. If it doesn't it might just be a busted unit in need of RMA.

Yeah it seems to be working fine, but I hooked it up a lab PSU and fed in ~25V while stressing each of the LAN ports a bit. Hopefully it doesn't flake out again at my parents' place.

So, this is probably a very noobish networking question, but I've always been more of a hardware guy anyway. Regarding VLANs, I understand this is an extension (802.11q?) and I get the general concept of allowing sharing of the same physical wires, but being able to segment users from each other.

But, is there support required on every client's end? Or just a nice managed switch (PowerConnect 3048 in this case)? Basically, I have a few devices that I would like VLAN off from the rest of the users, but I still want to be able to access them from the internet or via a SSH tunnel to a different box (where I would have to set up two NICs probably). Currently everything's on a 192.168.1.0/24 network, I was thinking of throwing the special devices on 192.168.2.x or something.

Basically:
1. What's the easiest way to VLAN off a given device
2. Can I still port-forward and such happily to said device
3. Can I have a single host be a member of both VLANs with only one NIC?

movax fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 11, 2013

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

movax posted:

Basically:
1. What's the easiest way to VLAN off a given device
2. Can I still port-forward and such happily to said device
3. Can I have a single host be a member of both VLANs with only one NIC?

1. vlan at the switch port, not at the computer/device's NIC. (this is untagged traffic, vs making the device tag the traffic which support might be inconsistent)
2. certainly as long as your firewall knows how to talk to that VLAN too
3. yes, that host would have to have a trunked port and have virtual NICs each tagging traffic for each network

VLAN's aren't quite that complicated once you set it up, but sometimes they're hard to explain

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
r0c-n0c has RB951G-2hnd in stock and bumped the price down on the RB751G

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

thebigcow posted:

r0c-n0c has RB951G-2hnd in stock and bumped the price down on the RB751G

I actually just finally bought the RB951G-2HnD today. We'll see how well it works. I've been putting it off and finally decided to just pull the trigger. The WRT54GL I have with Tomato on it is getting long in the tooth.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

CuddleChunks posted:

I bought one of these to put in the middle of the office so we can get our phones on the internet without using up our data plans. If it sucks I'm blaming you :mad:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I've set up an RB2011UAS-2HnD in our office, and have configured wireless
However we're getting random dropouts on the wireless, with this sort of thing in the mikrotiks logs
data from unknown device: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX sending deauth

But the mac address listed will be a machine that is already authed and working just fine, there are reports of this issue on the mikrotik forums but nobody seems to have a solution.

My one at home doesn't seem to have any problems, maybe it doesn't like handling 40 wireless clients?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

thebigcow posted:

I bought one of these to put in the middle of the office so we can get our phones on the internet without using up our data plans. If it sucks I'm blaming you :mad:

:ohdear:

theperminator - are you using B/G mode or B/G/N mode on the wireless? I've noticed some quirkiness with how Mikrotiks handle wireless n clients. Turning off N seems to clear up the problem.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Looks like there will be some interesting new hardware coming out this year, just announced at MUM. If the CRS is priced right, I can see it being a game-changer for SOHO setups with structured cabling. According to a post on the Mikrotik forum by uldis, a Mikrotik employee, it's a 24-port GigE switch with a RB750GL built in (albeit with the newer & faster RB2011 CPU) and the switch chips are capable of L3 switching. It'll be interesting to see how the hardware is laid out internally, but we'll have to wait for them to publish the diagram.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

theperminator posted:

I've set up an RB2011UAS-2HnD in our office, and have configured wireless
However we're getting random dropouts on the wireless, with this sort of thing in the mikrotiks logs
data from unknown device: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX sending deauth

But the mac address listed will be a machine that is already authed and working just fine, there are reports of this issue on the mikrotik forums but nobody seems to have a solution.

My one at home doesn't seem to have any problems, maybe it doesn't like handling 40 wireless clients?

You could always try your home router at work for a day or two to rule out hardware. Its easy enough to save an entire configuration and replace it.

RB951 is tiny. I put it by the front door, wandered around with my phone, and only one corner of the office is bad. Once I get it up high above metal file cabinets and in the middle of the room this should be great.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I haven't worked for a WISP in over a year, so I haven't been keeping up with Mikrotik hardware like I used to.

Do they now offer, or plan to offer, any decent dual-band SOHO routers that don't require you to buy a board/two radios/antennas/pigtails and assemble them? What I want is basically a RB951, only with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios and antennas built-in. I know such a thing would likely be $150 or more, but that's a fair price for a good router.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

So far, no dice. I think this is something RouterBoard needs to build because that would completely obviate the need for any goofy Linksys/Netgear/etc. router.

Note that there is a dual-band card but it isn't set up for simultaneous transmission on both bands as far as I can tell.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
They don't even have a 5ghz preassembled indoor model. Plenty of stuff with SFP cages which I assume must be needed in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Am I still the only person with nightmarish Apple vs. Mikrotik issues? I see tons of people on other forums complaining about the same since iOS 6 on something like 50% of the Apple wireless radios (all Broadcom, I believe.) There are recommendations about changing pre-amble settings and explicitly setting the protocol as 802.11, but all of my Apple devices (MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPhone 4) get 100% packet loss at random intervals between a minute of use and 30 minutes of use even after messing with those settings. Rarely it will fix itself after five minutes or so, but it is always fixed by turning the wireless radio off and back on on the Apple device.

At this point, I'd say Mikrotik devices are totally incompatible with Apple. I'm about ready to throw my Mikrotik out the window and go back to crappy consumer wireless routers :(

edit: to clarify, these issues are all 100% Apple issues. It sounds like the issue now is that TKIP totally breaks Apple devices and AES has a bug that kills the connection after a certain time on half of Apple's devices.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 19, 2013