Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.

Bishop posted:

Hahaha forgot about this post. A "Simple" one is just to ask them to explain the Varying Permeability Model vs. the Bühlmann model and which one you might prefer depending on the type of diving you are doing. For extra fun ask em' to throw in what gradient factors would be best for a given dive. Diving nerd fights can be pretty fun.

This might backfire if you get a DMC that is also a tech diver. :-) Some DMCs can talk the lingo.

Ugh...Boston has been brutally cold the last two weeks. Hoping to get out this weekend since it looks like air temp might break 30F :-)

Two weeks ago, I did a nice early 7:30AM dive at a site called Canoe Beach in Nahant, MA. Holy smokes it was cold, air temp was was 16f. Water was 39-41f. 37ft depth, 38 minutes BT. Visibility about 15ft. Tried out of my new 4th Element Artic undergarments, wow these things are warm compared to my other ones. Besides my hands (no drygloves), I was pleasantly warm.

My weight belt was frozen to the bottom of my gear bin. It was also cold one of the plastic cam band buckles on my BC broke/shattered. My LP inflator on my BC also froze but luckily thawed out once we hit the water. Noticing a pattern here? Everything was frozen. :-) Luckily no reg free flows, didn't breath off reg until we hit the water which helps.

Lots and lots of nudibranchs, surprisingly a bunch of lobsters. Some legal sized (and an oversized one too). No camera unfortunately.

Found three 8lb hard weights (took) and a small boat anchor (left there). I think this is the 4th or 5th weight belt I've found at this site.

As soon as we got out of water, ice started forming on our drysuit. Wind was starting to pick up, there were some small white caps out there. Overall a great but slightly cold new england dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Haha that sounds horrific. I was colder than poo poo diving in northern FL this weekend and I think we were around 72 water temp. I guess I've become a big baby diving in the keys.

pupdive posted:

Lots of divers fancy themselves better divers because they have a smattering of knowledge about diving trivia. Give me a DM who never breaks trim but cannot even use tables, over a DM who will just start talking (and never shut up) about really anything to do with diving.
I agree with this but these two things are not mutually exclusive. You can be a diving nerd and still be a good diver. (not saying I'm either of these things). Besides we were just joking around about how to stump DM canidates, nothing serious.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 28, 2013

macado
Jun 3, 2003

I posted earlier about someone making a universal Goodman handle for handheld lights, specifically the DiveRightInScuba 1000 lumens lights.

Got my handle this week and the build quality is very nice. This should work for any light that is 2" diameter. The DRIS 1000 lumens light is more powerful than a lot of entry level can lights so this essentially turns it into a poor man's can light. I have a Hollis LED15 can light that I eventually need to compare it to underwater.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

macado posted:

Found three 8lb hard weights (took) and a small boat anchor (left there). I think this is the 4th or 5th weight belt I've found at this site.

As soon as we got out of water, ice started forming on our drysuit. Wind was starting to pick up, there were some small white caps out there. Overall a great but slightly cold new england dive.

I think the lost belts are from divers ending there diving life on the spot because of the freaking cold.

SlicerDicer
Oct 31, 2010

PAILOLO CHANNEL

East gales to 35 kt. Wind waves 17 ft. Scattered showers.

Its time to DIVE

macado posted:

I posted earlier about someone making a universal Goodman handle for handheld lights, specifically the DiveRightInScuba 1000 lumens lights.

Got my handle this week and the build quality is very nice. This should work for any light that is 2" diameter. The DRIS 1000 lumens light is more powerful than a lot of entry level can lights so this essentially turns it into a poor man's can light. I have a Hollis LED15 can light that I eventually need to compare it to underwater.

Damnitus! I want black dry gloves.. I really do not want blue for well contrast factor around sharks.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

SlicerDicer posted:

Damnitus! I want black dry gloves.. I really do not want blue for well contrast factor around sharks.

You could probably rit dye them pretty easily. Of course i'd try this on a pair of torn dry gloves first.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

SlicerDicer posted:

Smurf gloves as people call them. :-)

I have a friend that uses black gloves with the traditional Viking rings cuffs. I think they're just regular black Atlas latex gloves that stretch over the rings.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

SlicerDicer posted:

I've been using thick rubber gloves from the local fiberglass shop which are black on the outside and white on the inside. They look like the kind of gloves you use for washing the dishes but are much thicker. They're cheap and work quite well for diving. I don't have (or need) any locking ring on them, they just stretch over the cuffs.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ehnus posted:

I've been using thick rubber gloves from the local fiberglass shop which are black on the outside and white on the inside. They look like the kind of gloves you use for washing the dishes but are much thicker. They're cheap and work quite well for diving. I don't have (or need) any locking ring on them, they just stretch over the cuffs.

That is what I have used, they seem to work well.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

macado posted:

I use an Riff TL 900 as an backup torch.

I really like it it is small led and has enough lumens.

But check the picture....

I used the 3 ropes and the boltsnap on this light. But the drilled hole doensn't have a chamfer. (is that the correct word)

I've noticed it and thought lets check it out. I could single handed rip of the 3 ropes.
So please check if the hole doesn't have an sharp edge!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
Chamfer is the correct word. Depending on how large they are they are also sometimes called countersinks (or countersunk holes) but that's usually just in the context of screws set flush to the surface.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have advice on getting into local diving gigs? For example, do I just call the zoo and offer to clean their tanks? Or, once I get a few more certs, call the local police and offer to rescue dive? I mean, I like diving in the Caribbean, but would love to do some local stuff and meet local divers. I don't really care about the added expense of colder water gear, I just want a reason to dive locally that doesn't involve a crap quarry. Also I don't care about pay, but will have to make the diving gigs secondary to my real job. I'm assuming that's a doable thing, but am uncertain, so I haven't made any calls yet. Am I off base or is this something I could do?

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Speaking of which, I just pulled the trigger on the DRIS 1K shorty with the goodman glove. Can't wait for it to get here!

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

jackyl posted:

Does anyone have advice on getting into local diving gigs? For example, do I just call the zoo and offer to clean their tanks? Or, once I get a few more certs, call the local police and offer to rescue dive? I mean, I like diving in the Caribbean, but would love to do some local stuff and meet local divers. I don't really care about the added expense of colder water gear, I just want a reason to dive locally that doesn't involve a crap quarry. Also I don't care about pay, but will have to make the diving gigs secondary to my real job. I'm assuming that's a doable thing, but am uncertain, so I haven't made any calls yet. Am I off base or is this something I could do?

Whats your certification level? For any real job type diving you'll need to be a divemaster at minimum. You'll also need a lot of experience, and a fairly big network of divers to put you in touch with these types of jobs. Your best bet is to start with your local dive shop and dive club. Make friends there, increase your dive training and talk to the professionals/employees and see who they know. Stuff like this is very networking based unless its an actual career job.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

jackyl posted:

Sometimes you get asked to dive up some stuff that people lost from the boat.
Or to clean the boat underneath things like that. Removing some rope from the propeller.

Or being a rescue diver in some sort of event. Slowly turning into ice.

The best thing you could do is become an assistant dive master. Help out on diving courses etc.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I'm looking into buying a drysuit and I'd like to hear some personal experiences. DUI seems the natural choice because that is by far what I see the most but I'm willing to be sold on any brand. Undergarments work for any brand (as far as I know) so what I'm looking for mainly is leak resistance, buoyancy characteristics, and durability. Also any suit that comes with a p-valve pre installed is a bonus.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Where's the best place to start getting dive certified in Maui? Is this something that you can crank out in a weekend for beginning diving or what?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

I'm looking into buying a drysuit and I'd like to hear some personal experiences. DUI seems the natural choice because that is by far what I see the most but I'm willing to be sold on any brand. Undergarments work for any brand (as far as I know) so what I'm looking for mainly is leak resistance, buoyancy characteristics, and durability. Also any suit that comes with a p-valve pre installed is a bonus.

I love my DUI cf200. Its bulky as gently caress though. If i bought one right now, i'd 100% buy the DUI FLX Extreme. That suit felt amazing. I've also dove a Whites Fusion, and their new bullet is really awesome. If you can, see if theres a DUI Dog Days event coming near you soon. That'll be a great way to dive everything they have.

As far as undergarments, i've never actually dove scuba designed undergarments. I've just gotten fleece stuff from REI, surplus stores and used that.

The most durable suit on the market is the CF200. DUI's compressed foam is retarded strong. The kneepads on their other suits are what this suit is made of entirely. Durability also ties directly into leak resistance. The big failure points on a suit are the seals/zipper, and those are all frankly pretty much the same on any suit. Buoyancy is going to be the same between trilaminate suits, and only really different with a neoprene drysuit obviously. The fit of the suit also plays into the buoyancy characteristics, seeing as if its really good fit, you won't have any weird bubbles forming you have to deal with. Get measured and see how your measurments stack with the stock measurements of whatever suit you want. If its close enough, you'll be fine in a stock size, but if its out of whack, you'll want a custom cut suit.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Bishop posted:

DUI are good very expensive and mostly used when you are GUE and or DIR or the Santi I think you know the specs for that.
Durability Cordura trilaminaat.
P-valve ask the shop to put them in.

Did you know there are silicone neckseals on the market now.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Where's the best place to start getting dive certified in Maui? Is this something that you can crank out in a weekend for beginning diving or what?

Yes one can easily get certified in a weekend, and even learn how to dive in a weekend.

Buy the books, do the knowledge reviews before hand so that the time is spent on actual diving and not cramming stuff into your head that really only needs to be there for background info.

Also insist on a Dive computer based course.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I will never dive without a computer again. Makes it SO much easier.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bishop posted:

Did diving with Daniel last weekend seal the deal on your wanting a drysuit? I was definitely jealous of him being the one of us who wasn't fighting to find sun when we got out of the water.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Thanks for the tips everyone!

rockcity posted:

Did diving with Daniel last weekend seal the deal on your wanting a drysuit? I was definitely jealous of him being the one of us who wasn't fighting to find sun when we got out of the water.
Haha pretty much. I've dove with plenty of people in drysuits before but I've never been so... yeah jealous is the right word... before last weekend. Speaking of Daniel I was planning on putting a stick in his manifold to get back at him while they were decoing in the cavern on our last dive but forgot :( (E: probably forgot because I was cold, damnit)

Bishop fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 1, 2013

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Crunkjuice posted:

Whats your certification level? For any real job type diving you'll need to be a divemaster at minimum. You'll also need a lot of experience, and a fairly big network of divers to put you in touch with these types of jobs. Your best bet is to start with your local dive shop and dive club. Make friends there, increase your dive training and talk to the professionals/employees and see who they know. Stuff like this is very networking based unless its an actual career job.

Yeah, that's what I assumed, but I am going to get DM regardless of jobs. I'm only OW with ~30 dives, most of which are in the Caribbean. So that makes me a joke for the question I asked, which I realize, but I've already decided I'm getting to DM level at least. I was mostly curious about what was required for this kind of thing and you've answered it - thanks! I will not be making any calls now, since that would just require making an rear end of myself.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MA-Horus posted:

I will never dive without a computer again. Makes it SO much easier.

Every dive I've ever had here in Queensland they have said it's illegal to dive without a computer. That is, they won't let you dive without one - I've no idea if it's actually enshrined in law. I'd be surprised if anyone here remembers how to read a dive table (but for all I know it's only me.)

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Gromit posted:

Every dive I've ever had here in Queensland they have said it's illegal to dive without a computer. That is, they won't let you dive without one
Huh. So if I showed up for a dive I knew the depth of and had a mechanical depth guage (try finding one of those pawn stars), I could not dive? I'm guessing bottom timers (simple computers that just show depth, time, and a few other things) are OK?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I guess that rule makes sense because mechanical depth guages are as I implied are pretty much impossible to find these days. What really weirds me out are the shops that check your computers after a dive to make sure you did not do deco or penetration.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bishop posted:

Huh. So if I showed up for a dive I knew the depth of and had a mechanical depth guage (try finding one of those pawn stars), I could not dive? I'm guessing bottom timers (simple computers that just show depth, time, and a few other things) are OK?

All I can tell you is that every time they've given a dive briefing they have said "you can only dive if you have a computer". Like I said, I don't know if this is a law or just a choice by each of the shops I've gone out with.

I've had a rental computer fail on me almost immediately once but the air gauge was fine and I just used my buddy's computer to track what we were doing. We're talking no-deco shallower-than-25 metres here, nothing crazy.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 2, 2013

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Bishop posted:

I guess that rule makes sense because mechanical depth guages are as I implied are pretty much impossible to find these days. What really weirds me out are the shops that check your computers after a dive to make sure you did not do deco or penetration.

Huh, how does a computer tell you if you penetrated anything?!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone have a recommendation or opinion on a dive knife vs just a pair of EMT shears?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Tomberforce posted:

Huh, how does a computer tell you if you penetrated anything?!
In the example I was thinking of, they would look and see if you leveled off at a certain depth when diving the Oriskany wreck off the Florida panhandle. I've never dove it myself but I've had more than one person say they check your computers. Obviously the computer does not know if you are in overhead or not but if you look at a chart of your dive depth it's pretty easy to tell with wrecks.

TLG James posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation or opinion on a dive knife vs just a pair of EMT shears?
Knife. I've never gone the Shears route but I'd only use them as a back up. It's more complex than a knife and if you need your knife you are already in trouble/panic. For knives, you want the cheapest and smallest one possible. Dive knives aren't for stabbing sharks, they are for cutting line or sawing through larger line when you are entangled. They're also really easy to lose underwater.

You want a serrated blade and a long enough handle that it is easy to get a good grip. The real cheap option that will also get you street cred is to go to the grocery store and buy some stainless steel steak knives. Then you saw off the end of them and use a file to round out the edges (so you don't stab yourself). What you are left with are some very expendable knives that do the job as well as anything. I've made 3 of these and lost all of them! I do have a stupidly expensive halcyon knife but besides looking cool it's no better than a home made one. You'll end up with something that looks like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bishop fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 2, 2013

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

TLG James posted:

Depends hat you're planning to use them for, I guess. I have a couple of these - http://eezycut.com/ - on my harness. I've used them to cut webbing, line, nets, and bungees. They are great. Sharp as hell, easy to use, compact, and cheap.

Otherwise the steak knife option is a good one. I've lost several of them, too.

I have one massive knife that is more trouble to dive with than it's worth. I think I've dived with it once.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

In the example I was thinking of, they would look and see if you leveled off at a certain depth when diving the Oriskany wreck off the Florida panhandle. I've never dove it myself but I've had more than one person say they check your computers. Obviously the computer does not know if you are in overhead or not but if you look at a chart of your dive depth it's pretty easy to tell with wrecks.
Knife. I've never gone the Shears route but I'd only use them as a back up. It's more complex than a knife and if you need your knife you are already in trouble/panic. For knives, you want the cheapest and smallest one possible. Dive knives aren't for stabbing sharks, they are for cutting line or sawing through larger line when you are entangled. They're also really easy to lose underwater.

You want a serrated blade and a long enough handle that it is easy to get a good grip. The real cheap option that will also get you street cred is to go to the grocery store and buy some stainless steel steak knives. Then you saw off the end of them and use a file to round out the edges (so you don't stab yourself). What you are left with are some very expendable knives that do the job as well as anything. I've made 3 of these and lost all of them! I do have a stupidly expensive halcyon knife but besides looking cool it's no better than a home made one. You'll end up with something that looks like this:

That knife is pure tec diver swagger. Every single one i've seen carries one like a badge of honor.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Just got my tax rebate breakdown from the accountant. It's good news!

The question now is - get my recreational IDC out the way, or the TDI adv Nitrox and Deco procedures course?

I guess they would be a similar cost overall, as I'd need to replace alot of my gear for the TDI course (different BCD, a new set of regs and probably a new computer too). I don't think there are any IANTD courses around where I live and I don't want to do any Tec with PADI.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

Tomberforce posted:

Just got my tax rebate breakdown from the accountant. It's good news!

The question now is - get my recreational IDC out the way, or the TDI adv Nitrox and Deco procedures course?

I guess they would be a similar cost overall, as I'd need to replace alot of my gear for the TDI course (different BCD, a new set of regs and probably a new computer too). I don't think there are any IANTD courses around where I live and I don't want to do any Tec with PADI.
I think this depends on what you want to do... TDI's advanced Nitrox and Deco procedures are normally taught together and were my entry into deco diving. They are great courses that open a lot of doors but it is still jst diving for fun. If you want to work in the diving industry, do the PADI IDC first.

Crunkjuice posted:

That knife is pure tec diver swagger. Every single one i've seen carries one like a badge of honor.
This is one of those times when the smug tech divers are right. That knife is cheap, expendable, and easy to make. I normally keep one in my hip pocket but I do still have the fancy pants halcyon knife that goes in the sheath mounted on the webbing on my waist, this time because I was in a pinch and needed a knife for my Cavern course. Another reason for cheap knifes is that you aren't tempted to go after them if you drop them. Also if you are doing anything involving running line, I'd recomend at least two knifes. Also when placing them think about how easy it would be to get to a knife if your were completely entangled.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Bishop posted:

This is one of those times when the smug tech divers are right. That knife is cheap, expendable, and easy to make. I normally keep one in my hip pocket but I do still have the fancy pants halcyon knife that goes in the sheath mounted on the webbing on my waist, this time because I was in a pinch and needed a knife for my Cavern course. Another reason for cheap knifes is that you aren't tempted to go after them if you drop them. Also if you are doing anything involving running line, I'd recomend at least two knifes. Also when placing them think about how easy it would be to get to a knife if your were completely entangled.

They are useful. I carry two on me as well as my EMT shears. Since they are easy enough to make, they also make nice little presents for students for graduating classes. My instructor does it for all his rescue students.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Nothing like kicking out farther than you thought you were on a shore dive and then popping up from a safety stop to realize you're about 400 yards from shore.

Cock.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Mr.AARP posted:

Nothing like kicking out farther than you thought you were on a shore dive and then popping up from a safety stop to realize you're about 400 yards from shore.

Cock.

On a rescue course I was a victim. So I did some diving and died.
They got me from the bottom but I was like 200 yards away.

They had a talk with me later on.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Orions Lord posted:

On a rescue course I was a victim. So I did some diving and died.
They got me from the bottom but I was like 200 yards away.

They had a talk with me later on.

Yeah that happened to me the other day with one of the other DMT's. We both dived out with the instructions to 'find 5 metres of water'. 300 yards later the depth just about got to 4 metres - he went down and 'died' I went to the surface and 'panicked' only to find that my panicking was attracting a bit of a attention from the walkers and fishermen on a nearby groyne. I toned it down a little!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
On a other rescue course they inflated my jacket fully and let me sky rocket to the surface.

I had a talk to them after.