Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

VoodooXT posted:

It was a botched plastic surgery job. He wanted to have a more "exotic" (read: Caucasian) look so he opted to get surgery to get higher, more defined cheek bones. Obviously did not pan out. If you look at pictures of him pre-surgery, he actually looked really handsome and it was a shame he decided to destroy his face like that.

He was also stuck in pretty boy roles that he wanted to break free of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
La jetée/Sans Soleil has taught me that I probably should not blind buy Criterions. I rather liked La jetée, but I'm quite sure I was not the intended audience for the other one.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
That's too bad. Sans Soleil is one of my favorite blind buys.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
Posting about San Soleil right below an avatar that is a still from Vertigo. Let's hope Chris Marker's corpse doesn't have internet access.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Two Worlds posted:

Posting about San Soleil right below an avatar that is a still from Vertigo. Let's hope Chris Marker's corpse doesn't have internet access.

Now that Marker's not restricted by mortal coils, he's probably designing a hundred-year-long film essay about time and memory. Godspeed, gentle Frenchman.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
I just assumed Chris Marker literally became a Cheshire Cat when he "died".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

sucks to your rear end-mar, Piggy

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Is it bad that I don't care about blu ray upgrades and just want them to release more films that aren't on DVD anywhere? Because I feel like I've stopped really caring about their announcements.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is it bad that I don't care about blu ray upgrades and just want them to release more films that aren't on DVD anywhere? Because I feel like I've stopped really caring about their announcements.

That's my general sentiment too. Of course I don't own a blu-ray player and I watch films on a 19" TV so I'm biased. Tracking down Manila in the Claws of Neon and Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son is proving to be the greatest challenge I've ever faced.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From Criterion's :nolan: Top 10 list
"10. "Which brings me to Greed, von Stroheim's lost work of absolute genius. Which is not available on Criterion. Yet. Here's hoping."

Now that it looks like Badlands wasn't licensed from Warner Bros. after all, but rather the producer, this would be one hell of a title to break Warner's licensing stranglehold.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It depends. I care if it's an upgrade of a DVD I own (or want to own but have been holding out for a Blu-Ray). I'd rather they upgrade 5 movies I love than do 5 new releases of movies I don't give a poo poo about. On the other hand, I'd rather they do 5 new releases of movies I've been dying to own than upgrade 5 I never wanted in the first place.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion at least seems to make every upgrade make sense and spread out. I don't think anyone can complain about them re-visiting films like Rashomon, Colonel Blimp, or Rushmore. Even the "catch-up" releases like The Last Days of Disco and If.... are sporadic. It's at least better than the bullshit re-releases by other studios that use old transfers repackaged in a digibook for twice the cost. We already have Blu releases that need upgrades like The Leopard and Playtime.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 30, 2013

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo posted:

Tracking down Manila in the Claws of Neon and Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son is proving to be the greatest challenge I've ever faced.
The latter is available on amazon: $30 DVD or $5 instant video
Claws of Neon is exactly the kind of film Criterion should release. Fantastic and accessible obscure cinema that could really find an audience and is completely unavailable on DVD. I really enjoyed it.

FitFortDanga posted:

It depends. I care if it's an upgrade of a DVD I own (or want to own but have been holding out for a Blu-Ray). I'd rather they upgrade 5 movies I love than do 5 new releases of movies I don't give a poo poo about. On the other hand, I'd rather they do 5 new releases of movies I've been dying to own than upgrade 5 I never wanted in the first place.
Yeah, my sentiment is stronger than that. I'd take almost any reasonable new release, even if it's something I don't personally care for, over a blu-ray upgrade of almost anything. The caveat being that new release means something actually unavailable on DVD, not something released by Masters of Cinema last year, or an independent movie from last year that would have easily found another distributor anyway.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

As someone who has only really started collecting at length with this most recent B&N sale, I actually do look forward to Blu-Ray upgrades, since I want to keep my collection consistent.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

FitFortDanga posted:

sucks to your rear end-mar, Piggy

This only clicked in my head when you said that. For some reason I thought the glasses were a hint at Battleship Potemkin but I couldn't figure out what the hell the pig represented. I actually love the classic version of Lord of the Flies so this is good news.

I actually like the way Criterion has been doing the upgrades. One or two a month alongside three or so new releases. Although I do agree that it'd be nice if we could get some more obscure stuff that's still unavailable on DVD. I also support them releasing movies like Eating Raoul where the only DVD release available before was poo poo quality.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

This only clicked in my head when you said that. For some reason I thought the glasses were a hint at Battleship Potemkin but I couldn't figure out what the hell the pig represented. I actually love the classic version of Lord of the Flies so this is good news.

I thought it was A Christmas Story and felt stupid after.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hewlett posted:

As someone who has only really started collecting at length with this most recent B&N sale, I actually do look forward to Blu-Ray upgrades, since I want to keep my collection consistent.

Yeah, this is my stance too. I didn't own any Criterions, nor any lovely-DVD transfer versions of any of the movies in the collection, so I really enjoy them adding new ones OR upgrading DVDs to blu-ray. I wouldn't have any Kurosawa movies if not for the Criterion blu-rays.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The latter is available on amazon: $30 DVD or $5 instant video

:waycool: It's good to know that it's on DVD even if it's hard to obtain. It looks like that Amazon instant is for a shorter version.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo posted:

:waycool: It's good to know that it's on DVD even if it's hard to obtain. It looks like that Amazon instant is for a shorter version.
Oops, you're right I guess there's always this if you want to pay a bit extra to not have a DVD http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Pipers-Son-Institutional-Use/dp/B002QQNSVO/

I swear there used to be a reasonably priced instant video rental version.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 31, 2013

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Now that the holidays have come and gone I find myself in possession of TWO copies of Rashomon on BLU, one of which is SEALED and up for trade.

What I'm really looking for is a copy of Rene Clement's Forbidden Games but I'm open to entertain offers from my Wish List as well. PM me so as to avoid cluttering up this thread.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
All the Jacques Tati movies are listed as OOP on Criterion now, guess they stealth lost that license again.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm glad I picked up M. Holot's Holiday last week, but I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for Playtime. Thanks for the tip!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Picked up M Hulots Holiday and Mon Oncle. I now have all the Criterion Tati films. :toot:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BFI's dual format editions seem to be in print for now. Only $18-20 per movie, too. While Playtime is virtually the same as Criterion's release, Mr. Hulot's Holiday has the restored director's cut and the original 1953 cut (both in HD), Mon Oncle has the restored French and English cuts, and Jour de Fete has the restored 1949 color version and 1964 re-release plus the two short films.

Jour de Fete
Mr. Hulot's Holiday
Mon Oncle
Playtime
Parade (DVD only)

Trafic seems to be long gone. A pity, since it's a great, underrated film.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yup, because of this thread I went ahead and ordered the Playtime BR, even though I'm gonna wait to watch the movie until I see it in 70mm at the Music Box Theatre film festival two weeks from now. Thanks for the heads up!

Has anyone else noted that a few of their new releases are coming out bare-bones? Battle of Narayama and Gate of Hell seem to have no features at all.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 8, 2013

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like it's sort of a false alarm about the Tati films. Someone contacted them on Facebook (via Jon Mulvaney) and it was confirmed they still have the rights. However, they're not giving any sort of timeline on when the new editions will be released. Playtime is apparently having more work done on it, considering it's one of the weakest Blu-Rays Criterion has released.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 8, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like it's sort of a false alarm about the Tati films. Someone contacted them on Facebook (via Jon Mulvaney) and it was confirmed they still have the rights. However, they're not giving any sort of timeline on when the new editions will be released. Playtime is apparently having more work done on it, considering it's one of the weakest Blu-Rays Criterion has released.

Ugh, okay, just an hour after I open up the packaging. :argh:

Question: I know that some of the earlier Criterion BRs (400 Blows, Last Emperor, Last Metro, Last Night at Marienbad, every movie with the word 'last' in the title) were released in cardboard digipak packaging. Have they changed that at all? I know that, for $5, you can order the new packaging for some of them from Criterion, but I don't know if they actually use it in continuing prints of the BRs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No, all the new prints (both new titles and old) use the current (awesome) packaging.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, all the new prints (both new titles and old) use the current (awesome) packaging.

Good, that makes all the difference; next B&N sale, I'm grabbing The 400 Blows. Thanks! :hfive:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hewlett posted:

every movie with the word 'last' in the title

The Last Days of Disco would like a word with you.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

quote:

This Valentine’s Day weekend, we have a sweet treat for you. From today, February 14, through Monday, February 18, all of the Criterion titles streaming on Hulu Plus, available to viewers in the U.S., will be free of charge to nonsubscribers (with advertisements). It’s the perfect opportunity to get acquainted with the incredible array of our movies available for instant viewing—we now have 800-plus selections, including hundreds of rare titles from around the world that have never been released on DVD or Blu-ray in the U.S. And remember that if you sign up for Hulu Plus for just $7.99 a month, you can see them all the time, commercial-free!
This happy occasion also marks Criterion’s two-year anniversary with Hulu. We think we make a wonderful pair, and we look forward to continuing to bring important cinema to the most movie lovers possible.
Blissful viewing,
The Criterion Collection

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Wow that is awesome! Thank you for pointing that out. I'm like a kid in a candy store, I have no idea where to begin. There's no way I watch all the movies I want to in the next 4 days.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
(with advertisements)

BOO!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I'm certain it's something to do with how Hulu works.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sporadic posted:

(with advertisements)

BOO!

Aren't those advertisements there with paid subscribers too?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

GrandpaPants posted:

No, I don't get any ads when I watch movies on Hulu.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GrandpaPants posted:

Not with Criterion movies. If you pay, it's commercial free.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I just filled two note pages with Hulu movies to watch...there goes my weekend :tviv:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I recommend La Main du Diable, which hasn't get gotten a physical release but is in the Criterion Hulu collection. Really cool horror movie clawing its way out of obscurity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Edit: nevermind, someone did it properly!