Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I think they need to do some more spinoffs. I've mentioned this idea before, but I'd love to see a game based on Tetra. You'd sail around with your crew on your pirate ship discovering islands, battling rival bands of pirates, and searching for lost treasures. They could mix things up a bit and completely ignore the standard items (bow, shield, boomerang, etc.) and go for some really creative items instead. Oh, and since you're a ~~secret princess~~, the winds let your ship go whatever direction you want at any time or some poo poo like that.

Hell, I wouldn't mind a game with minimal (or no) dungeons where you are just some random dude if it had shitloads of sidequests to do a la Majora's Mask. I don't need some epic story to fit into some wacky timeline. Just let me run around and be immersed in Hyrule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Wasn't there that fake leak that was an article or video of art about a steampunk Zelda game where Epona was a motorcycle or something? It sounded pretty rad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gooby on rails posted:

It would be pretty sweet if they did change the setting and everything to the future- except Link himself. For some reason he still has his green tunic and fights with a sword, except now he's in a future space base fighting things that are obviously robots.

Samurai Link.

"I, GANONDORF, THE OCCASIONALLY-A-PIG MASTER OF DARKNESS...

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Lurdiak posted:

I have this rad Nintendo Power poster of Ocarina of Time where Link and Sheik are back to back, holding off a horde of monsters on all sides. I was really hoping you got to play as Sheik at some point, or that there'd even be co-op. Oh the naivete of youth.

E: Still looks rad:

A "hack-and-slash" (character action game? Whatever the gently caress that genre is called) spin-off where you play as Sheik set during the seven year gap in Ocarina of Time would be the most bad-rear end poo poo ever. Get Platinum Games to do it since they're all buddy-buddy with Nintendo at the moment and it'd be amazing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How about a cross between Four Swords and Majora's Mask? Control Deku, Zora, Goron, and Hylian Link simultaneously.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Did anyone notice in the Hyrule Historia they say that the Master Quest was the canceled 64DD game they were working on? Also the Zedla Collector's Edition for the Gamecube wasn't exclusive to Nintendo's store. It came as a Gamecube Pack in, a nintendo power subscription bonus, and it was sold new in regular stores everywhere for 10 dollars after a period of time.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Runcible Cat posted:

One of the things I like about more recent Zelda is the old-tech and retro-tech designs - Ancient Hyrule seems to have been full of automata and quasi-mechanical stuff. But I'm really, really glad that they keep it subtle.

My crazy fan theory is that the dark "magic" wielded by the Twili is actually the ancient technology found in Lanayru desert (or at least reverse-engineered from it). This is based solely on a slight similarity in their design motifs.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Ah, so you've played Majora's Mask then?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

Did anyone notice in the Hyrule Historia they say that the Master Quest was the canceled 64DD game they were working on? Also the Zedla Collector's Edition for the Gamecube wasn't exclusive to Nintendo's store. It came as a Gamecube Pack in, a nintendo power subscription bonus, and it was sold new in regular stores everywhere for 10 dollars after a period of time.

On page 89 they show Nabooru next to the fire medallion and Darunia next to the spirit medallion :argh:

edit: :goonsay:

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I've got it, I've got it! I've got the perfect way to breathe new life into Zelda. Get this, Zelda meets Les Miserables! And Action/Adventure Musical Zelda to the plot of Les Miserables!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just want them to make the characters speak in the next one. Skyward sword got real close to making likeable supporting characters. That and I want to play as other guys who are not Link, like Zelda.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Really, I think if they revive the old Ultima vibes of Zelda 1 in the overworld exploration I think they will be fine. It's that feeling and atmosphere that I think is important to a Zelda game more than anything.

I totally agree. Missing that element in Skyward Sword is one of the many reasons it's the only Zelda game I haven't finished since Link's Adventure.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

A "hack-and-slash" (character action game? Whatever the gently caress that genre is called) spin-off where you play as Sheik set during the seven year gap in Ocarina of Time would be the most bad-rear end poo poo ever. Get Platinum Games to do it since they're all buddy-buddy with Nintendo at the moment and it'd be amazing.

Man, is there any greater proof that we don't live in the best of all possible worlds than the fact that this'll never happen?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The overworld in Skyward Sword reminded me of the overworld in Majora's Mask. It was small but it had alot to do inside of it. It really didn't bother me at all, the atmosphere was great.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Didn't IGN once report that they heard a rumor that Retro had pitched a Sheik spinoff for the Wii to Nintendo and either got shot down in the concept stages or went a while into development before it was canceled?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WendigoJohnson posted:

The overworld in Skyward Sword reminded me of the overworld in Majora's Mask. It was small but it had alot to do inside of it. It really didn't bother me at all, the atmosphere was great.

Did we play in the same overworlds? Because the Skyward Sword I played had the Lumpy Pumpkin, a couple of minigame islands, and a billion little crapholes with goddess chests.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
How dare you forget that random island with the giant rear end bamboo stalk.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pentyne posted:

The Zelda franchise is due for a major overhaul to break away from the standard

- small town Link attacked
- set off for main hub
- visit first set of temples
- receive magic plot item
- Second set of temples
- Last boss fight

I think they're afraid to do anything radically new to the series since its a flagship title for Nintendo. One thing I've always wanted to see was adding a new non-sword main weapon and various armor outifts. They did a good job in TP with the water armor looking like a strange scuba diving outfit but the Rupee armor was pretty boring.
I want them to make a Zelda game with a sandbox-style free-roaming world. Think Ocarina without walls and tunnels connecting different hubs, and Majoras mask type saturation of sidequests. Same simple combat, not a leveling up type RPG like Skyrim, and not a hack and slash. Just exploration and questing goodness in a big uninhibited Zelda world--like Windwaker except on Land and with more to do. Also very few monsters in the overworld during the day, like Oot, that was one of my favorite features about that game. The use of negative space in that game was second to none.

That's my Zelda wetdream that will never happen. Basically LttP in 3D.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 31, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The worst part of the Skyward Sword overworld is that my first impression was 'Oh poo poo! Wind Waker in the sky!!' and then it turned out to be a small place with very little of interest.

Full disclosure: I thought the game was really good overall

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Did we play in the same overworlds? Because the Skyward Sword I played had the Lumpy Pumpkin, a couple of minigame islands, and a billion little crapholes with goddess chests.

Majora's Mask only had a couple of prominent locations outside of the capital city and the elemental regions, too. The hub city stuffed full of sidequests is a prominent feature in both games, even if the sidequests are far less interesting and rewarding in Skyward Sword.

Edit: However, the dungeons and gameplay and elemental regions pretty much peaked with Slyward Sword, excepting the tad tones.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolphin posted:

I want them to make a Zelda game with a sandbox-style free-roaming world. Think Ocarina without walls and tunnels connecting different hubs, and Majoras mask type saturation of sidequests. Same simple combat, not a leveling up type RPG like Skyrim, and not a hack and slash. Just exploration and questing goodness in a big uninhibited Zelda world--like Windwaker except on Land and with more to do.

That's my Zelda wetdream that will never happen. Basically LttP in 3D.

As much as it might be my favorite Zelda game, I actually felt that LTTP was a little too funneled, or perhaps theme park-ish compared to the original Zelda. A lot of supposedly open worlds end up like that and I'd rather it be changed. I think what it's missing is this concept of wilderness which is very prominent in the first game, and in some other very well done open worlds, like in Morrowind. Anywhere you go in LTTP, you're somewhere that's built for a very specific purpose that is easy to guess at.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

As much as it might be my favorite Zelda game, I actually felt that LTTP was a little too funneled, or perhaps theme park-ish compared to the original Zelda. A lot of supposedly open worlds end up like that and I'd rather it be changed.
Yeah... I actually stealth edited it from NES Zelda to LttP because I remembered the worlds being very similar but now that you mention it I think you're right.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So all the talk about the less linear direction of the next Zelda and possible Dark Souls influence has got me in the mood to tackle the original Legend of Zelda. It's not my first 2D Zelda. Previous attempts never got far. I don't want to use a walkthrough because I feel it would go against the spirit of the game. However, I would like general tips on the game.

1. How do you keep from dying so fast?

2. What's a good way to get rupees?

3. Any wisdom at all.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

So all the talk about the less linear direction of the next Zelda and possible Dark Souls influence has got me in the mood to tackle the original Legend of Zelda. It's not my first 2D Zelda. Previous attempts never got far. I don't want to use a walkthrough because I feel it would go against the spirit of the game. However, I would like general tips on the game.

1. How do you keep from dying so fast?

2. What's a good way to get rupees?

3. Any wisdom at all.

1. You will eventually get defensive items that will help a lot, as well as more hearts. There's no heart pieces to collect in this game, just hearts, and there are several available right from the beginning if you know where to look. In terms of defensive items, overworld travel will get way easier when you get the blue ring(equivalent to the blue tunic). There's health potions too, and a shield for deflecting magic. Other than that, you just need to get better. The game is pretty hard and very skill-based.

2. Either grind or find the several stashes of rupees(I think they all have 100 rupees) hidden around the world. There's a gambling minigame that you can make money with too, but it sure does loving suck when you lose two big pots of rupees in a row, since the game is completely random chance, no skill to it that I could identify. It's just selecting one of three options and hoping you got the one that gives you rupees.

3. Be really patient. I just beat this game a few weeks ago for the first time and I thought it was a great game but I did get pissed and have to walk away a number of times. Sometimes stuff feels like bullshit. Sometimes it is and you were meant to find an item before engaging with it, that's the nature of a game with so little direction, but sometimes you just suck and have to accept that.

Edit: One more thing: the game will be pretty lovely if you just use a walkthrough to get through everything, but when you get really, really stuck, and it's really pissing you off and you'd rather not play the game ever again than wander around trying to figure it out, just look it up. I think kids playing it had Nintendo Power and hint lines and poo poo. If you have the original manual, at least the US version, there's a walkthrough of the beginning of the game and a deceptively helpful drawn version of the world map placed innocuously beneath some text.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 31, 2013

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That should help. I'll print out a map too. I want to be walkthrough pure, but I have a friend who I'll ask when I get super stuck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WendigoJohnson posted:

I believe Master Quest is a lesser version of what the 64DD expansion was supposed to be.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I feel like it's dangerous to print out a full map. The one in the manual is nice because it's actively hard to use. The wandering and exploration is a big part of why the game has a Dark Souls feeling to it. If you know where all the dungeons are it falls apart.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

That should help. I'll print out a map too. I want to be walkthrough pure, but I have a friend who I'll ask when I get super stuck.

The very first thing I always do is horde up 250 rupees and then buy the blue ring. It can be a life saver when you're still playing with only a few hearts.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I feel like it's dangerous to print out a full map. The one in the manual is nice because it's actively hard to use. The wandering and exploration is a big part of why the game has a Dark Souls feeling to it. If you know where all the dungeons are it falls apart.

Ah. Could someone post an image of the manual one here then?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah. Could someone post an image of the manual one here then?

tIMG'd for HUGE. Love the question marks. Still have my old map kicking around somewhere with hand-written notes. :3:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Rake Arms posted:

My crazy fan theory is that the dark "magic" wielded by the Twili is actually the ancient technology found in Lanayru desert (or at least reverse-engineered from it). This is based solely on a slight similarity in their design motifs.
Also very similar to WW's Tower of the Gods. :tinfoil:

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

tIMG'd for HUGE. Love the question marks. Still have my old map kicking around somewhere with hand-written notes. :3:

Isn't that exactly opposite of what was asked?

Here's a version of the map from the manual without the text that I found with a quick Google search. Since I've been trying to finally play the first one too.

I recommend you download it for yourself if you want it, since I don't know how long I'll keep in my dropbox.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't check the other map properly, it seems to be vague enough, I just assumed it was one of those complete show everything maps from the thumbnail.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 31, 2013

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

A couple years back there was that "year of the Zelda" thread where everyone was supposed to play every Zelda game and could even do challenges on some. That was pretty cool for getting people to play the originals/ones they'd never beaten.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rake Arms posted:

My crazy fan theory is that the dark "magic" wielded by the Twili is actually the ancient technology found in Lanayru desert

Midna may be the Twilight Princess, but Scrapper is the Twilight KING.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

mastajake posted:

A couple years back there was that "year of the Zelda" thread where everyone was supposed to play every Zelda game and could even do challenges on some. That was pretty cool for getting people to play the originals/ones they'd never beaten.

I'm actually doing the same thing right now. Taking a break after the 2D zeldas but I intend to start back up really soon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rake Arms posted:

Technology and magic in the Zelda has never really been explored so much as presented for the sake of crafting a good adventure. There's the crazy futuristic tech in Lanaryu that could have a connection to the Ocarina, or the dark realm. There are bombs and cannons but never any other uses of explosives like firearms. The Zelda incarnations all seem to have access to magic of the gods, light magic, but no one else is shown using it. Plus there's the 'relics' in almost every game that indicate a much more advanced technological society at some point prior.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

KimT posted:

Man I never really knew that people were divided on the Skyward Sword motion controls, I thought the new sword controls were one of the best things to happen to the series in a long time. I'm going to miss them in the Wii U Zelda since I imagine they'll probably use the gamepad instead. (Though I'm interested to see what they do with it)

I didn't like it because I felt everything borrowed down to 'cut this way' which got really boring really fast.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Even if they use the gamepad I'd love to see them use the same scheme of making every fight feel like a puzzle in some sense. You could cheese it pretty easily but at the cost of some hearts or shield strength so it wasn't obstructive per se, and beating enemies the right way never stopped feeling satisfying to me.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

pentyne posted:

Technology and magic in the Zelda has never really been explored so much as presented for the sake of crafting a good adventure. There's the crazy futuristic tech in Lanaryu that could have a connection to the Ocarina, or the dark realm. There are bombs and cannons but never any other uses of explosives like firearms. The Zelda incarnations all seem to have access to magic of the gods, light magic, but no one else is shown using it. Plus there's the 'relics' in almost every game that indicate a much more advanced technological society at some point prior.

It almost seems like there has been an attempt to solidify the overarching mythology in recent games. Twilight Princess seemingly bullshitted a bunch of new backstory about the first Hylians and the city in the sky, but then Skyward Sword went into great detail and further linked it to Ocarina of Time. SS even kept the province names from TP. That sort of fueled my theory that there was a deliberate connection between Lanayru Desert and the Twili.

Zelda U would be a great opportunity to give SS a Spirit Tracks-esque sequel that shows the surface 100 years later. Maybe Groose is still alive, there's a new Link and Zelda, and the familiar tribes of Hyrule start to appear. The forest creatures have become more humanoid and child-like under a young Deku Tree. The Gorons settle on the mountain while the newly built Kakariko flourishes as you complete sidequests. The Parella are starting to look more like the Zora. A tribe of thieves settle in the desert. The GamePad would be perfect to have a game where you actually chart and discover Hyrule as the tribes band together into one kingdom.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 31, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The most refreshing thing a new Zelda Game could do for me is to set it in an indeterminate future that could be the potential future of any of the three timelines, or in fact all three at once by viewing contradictions between the three timelines as the affect of time on mythology. Not so much a clean break as distancing the game's setting and possibly designing a new setting for future games that isn't bound to what has become something of a quagmire when taken at face value.

Barring that, I'd really like to play a game set in between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks about Link and the pirates exploring the new continent and establishing their new kingdom. If they really wanted to buck Zelda conventions they could go back to the original Tetra's Trackers idea and make it mission based instead of an open/linear world. Put that on the 3DS and I will buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

RentCavalier posted:

Ah, so you've played Majora's Mask then?

Man, I completely forgot about that. I spent most of my time with either the Bunny Hood, or the Zora mask.

Then sometimes I'd put on the mask that let me lead a parade of dogs around.

• Locked thread