Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Looking at the PDM, is it any good? Sounds like it makes some smart changes but I like having more sensible unification paths (their words) and events. Do most Vicky 2 fans like it?

Edit: realized it is my only paradox game not running on steam.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I tried it after 500 hours of vanilla AHD. Some of the production chains can be hard to get into at first seeing as the game wasn't really built for that many wares so it looks messy but after you get a hang of everything it's a lot of fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just had a totally random thought for a feature I'd like to see in Paradox's games: An "Advance Time" or "Next Turn" button. Just a button I can press while the game is paused that advances the game one 'turn' or day/hour. There are times where things get micro heavy and you want to manage things on a day to day basis. This isn't a big deal because I know I could just set the time to a slow speed then unpause and pause again right away, but I feel like it would be a nice, convenient feature.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jakse posted:

Looking at the PDM, is it any good? Sounds like it makes some smart changes but I like having more sensible unification paths (their words) and events. Do most Vicky 2 fans like it?

Edit: realized it is my only paradox game not running on steam.

It has some good and bad aspects. The economy changes are pretty nice, but the military unit changes are stupid, like messing around with support and maneuver values.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I love that paradox have mispelled defeat in their latest march of the eagles trailer. It just feels right, somehow.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Fister Roboto posted:

It has some good and bad aspects. The economy changes are pretty nice, but the military unit changes are stupid, like messing around with support and maneuver values.

Also there are now Infantry that work like Irregulars but are better in every way other than costing more resources you never run out of and can always stock even if you need to import them as landlocked Khiva.

Also it made China into 1 nation with no substates. I am no expert on Chinese history so I can't say for sure if this makes any more or less sense than the substate China but since they were puppets of China anyway and therefore unable to do anything, I suppose it's no real loss.

Overall I still like PDM it just makes some really odd choices. I'm still holding out for V2+, even if it's not as extensive as CK2+ is I still think V2+ could be better if only because Wiz has less of a habit of doing dumb little things imho.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

DrProsek posted:

Also it made China into 1 nation with no substates. I am no expert on Chinese history so I can't say for sure if this makes any more or less sense than the substate China but since they were puppets of China anyway and therefore unable to do anything, I suppose it's no real loss.

The substates thing was because towards the late 19th century, vast chunks of China that were still officially integral parts of China were turned into "spheres of influence" of European (and Japanese) nations where the other country had extraterritoriality for its citizens, exclusive trading rights, military bases, etc. etc. This is in addition to the cessation of various treaty ports and Russia's acquisition of Northern Manchuria in 1860.

The system is in V2 because it made more sense to have China divvied up between half a dozen SOIs than all in one (which would be overpowering).

I honestly think the answer would best be for China to be united, but immune from SOI, simply because it's rather gamebreaking.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Patter Song posted:

The substates thing was because towards the late 19th century, vast chunks of China that were still officially integral parts of China were turned into "spheres of influence" of European (and Japanese) nations where the other country had extraterritoriality for its citizens, exclusive trading rights, military bases, etc. etc. This is in addition to the cessation of various treaty ports and Russia's acquisition of Northern Manchuria in 1860.

The system is in V2 because it made more sense to have China divvied up between half a dozen SOIs than all in one (which would be overpowering).

I honestly think the answer would best be for China to be united, but immune from SOI, simply because it's rather gamebreaking.

A game portraying the foreign relations of China in the 19th-early 20th century that doesn't have some way of modeling the unequal treaties would be a pretty poor portrayal of that particular aspect of history.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

A game portraying the foreign relations of China in the 19th-early 20th century that doesn't have some way of modeling the unequal treaties would be a pretty poor portrayal of that particular aspect of history.

True, but dividing China into half a dozen loosely-affiliated pieces before even the First Opium War goes a bit far the other direction. How about some sort of mechanism to give special CBs to imperialist powers for releasing Chinese satellites, but leaving it starting out intact?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

True, but dividing China into half a dozen loosely-affiliated pieces before even the First Opium War goes a bit far the other direction. How about some sort of mechanism to give special CBs to imperialist powers for releasing Chinese satellites, but leaving it starting out intact?

I would be all for this. Splitting China up into sub-states makes sense for preventing a player from just running away with the game by sphering one particular country, but it feels hamfisted for the sub-states to be pre-determined and present at game's start instead of being dynamically created as countries invade/sphere China little by little.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Maybe instead of having a mechanism where you 'sphere' a country and get all the resources, there could be a system where you 'invest' cash/diplomacy in a foreign STATE and get the resources of that state only. So France might have invested and gotten a monopoly in Guangdong and Britain has Jangsu and Anhui. You could use this everywhere, so instead of one Great Power saying "YOINK! I'll take Brazil" you'd be investing in particular Brazilian provinces that had the resources you wanted, and countries could be divided by different powers. A little more granular and less winner takes all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah!

What I pictured in my mind's eye was hitting 100 influence and clicking the Add to Sphere button would instead bring up a list of states, and you pick one and a Chinese sub-state would be created, but your idea of using foreign investments to create sub-states (sub-spheres?) sounds even better, especially since foreign investment was already one of AHD's bigger bullet point additions.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fintilgin posted:

Maybe instead of having a mechanism where you 'sphere' a country and get all the resources, there could be a system where you 'invest' cash/diplomacy in a foreign STATE and get the resources of that state only. So France might have invested and gotten a monopoly in Guangdong and Britain has Jangsu and Anhui. You could use this everywhere, so instead of one Great Power saying "YOINK! I'll take Brazil" you'd be investing in particular Brazilian provinces that had the resources you wanted, and countries could be divided by different powers. A little more granular and less winner takes all.

This is a great idea, and would vastly improve how V2 handles trade.

Edit: You could even have investments give a proportional bonus to relations between the two countries, and/or allow sphering through military means, which would provide a similar proportional malus.

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 31, 2013

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EDIT: Nevermind. I misinterpreted what was being argued. My apologies.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 31, 2013

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Is there any sort of tutorial for playing as part of a merchant republic with the new DLC? I have no idea what I'm doing, playing as one of the families in Venice.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I have an interesting question, using the sprite packs for Europa Universalis 3, is there a way i can do some editing to get the sprites to show for o other countries. Say I'm playing as Scotland, and i want to form the union in eu3+. Can i edit any files to retain Scottish graphics in lieu of a generic model

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

I saw someone mentioning it earlier; portraits for kings in EU4! That'd be awesome, and I'd even buy it as DLC. Hapsburg chins for everyone! Have they mentioned anything about this?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, that would be a neat mechanic, but it wouldn't work in V2. Sounds a bit like how Imperialism 2 did things, although it's been a long time since I played that so I could be mistaken.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Quantumfate posted:

I have an interesting question, using the sprite packs for Europa Universalis 3, is there a way i can do some editing to get the sprites to show for o other countries. Say I'm playing as Scotland, and i want to form the union in eu3+. Can i edit any files to retain Scottish graphics in lieu of a generic model
Look in \interface\XP-Rost-[name of your DLC]-units.gfx as well as \interface\units.gfx. I believe countries' armies use the [three-letter country tag]_infantry_# entries if present, and if not default to [graphical culture group]_infantry_#. So you'd want to look at any GBR_infantry_# entries and change the animation files it references to those used in SCO_infantry_#.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

If anyone's looking to buy HOI3 Collection, V2+AHD or CK2+all DLC, check these crazy packages on Amazon, today only!:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7UKDQS All CK2 stuff + some other games 15$
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAIJJCW HOI3 + V2 + some other stuff 7.5$
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7UK2I2 CK1+CK2+all DLC (as far as I can tell) 10$

I bought full price Republic DLC on Monday :( At the time I didn't mind giving PDS money but now I'm :argh: Amazon :argh:

For more info on the deals check the Amazon sales rep's thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523213

Ed: Forgot to mention, people outside the US can simply put a valid US address as their billing address to buy digital games on amazon.com, they don't check IPs or credit card stuff (or don't care).

Vodos fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 31, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Just gonna leave these here:

Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness.

CK2: The Old Gods.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Is HoD more of an old-style AHD/DW full expansion or more of CK2-style focused DLC?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Well, when we were talking about old gods, I don't think we considered that Cthulhu was technically paganistic...

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Both of those seem great.

Wait, a Q1 2013 release for Heart of Darkness? For gently caress's sake, I've just finished getting this mod ready for AHD!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, that would be a neat mechanic, but it wouldn't work in V2. Sounds a bit like how Imperialism 2 did things, although it's been a long time since I played that so I could be mistaken.

As someone currently playing through the Imperialism games (released on GOG), I'd just like to say that for all the flak EU/Victoria gets for its abstracted combat, it was absolutely the correct choice in comparison to these older games.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Is HoD more of an old-style AHD/DW full expansion or more of CK2-style focused DLC?
I think only CK2 (and maybe HOI3?) use the kind of modular expansion system that it does, so Heart of Darkness will probably still be a full expansion kind of dealie.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited for Heart of Darkness. I'm especially hoping that Africa isn't a blank slate anymore especially now that Wiz is there, and especially since his brilliant colonial system was one of the last things he was working on before he joined Paradox.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Serpentis posted:

Well, when we were talking about old gods, I don't think we considered that Cthulhu was technically paganistic...

The title seems like a reference to Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones), really. Where the people of the North are more or less considered pagans to everyone else, as they worship the Old Gods instead of the new.

edit:

Paradox posted:

Adventurers: Landless characters can gather armies and go off to carve out new realms on their own.
:allears: It's like Romance of the Three Kingdoms X, now. And that aspect will probably be just as barebones, but still. I love it.

Incidentally, has anyone at Paradox played the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games, especially VIII and X? If not, they should. They're very Crusader Kings-esque, and are just generally great strategy game/RPG hybrids, just like CK. It's like Japanese developed Grand Strategy.

edit 2: Someone at Paradox, please tell me that you'll be able to sell your services as a mercenary. Please. That would be baller as hell.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 31, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
HoD will be a big old expansion. Any pre-CK2 games getting some love will get expansion type addons, CK2 and newer games are all planned to use the modular system (although Old gods is pretty large, and HoD is download only so the lines blur a bit).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honestly, that Old Gods feature list has me hard as hell. Jesus, that sounds so good.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
I have to admit there was always a small part of me that hoped that when the final tile was revealed that it would turn out to be an anthropomorphic duck and you guys somehow got the rights to make a Glorantha-themed invasion DLC. But then boring old non-magic vikings were revealed, and the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced this DLC tore something from me I'll never be able to recover...

Honestly the "Rebels-with-a-Cause" feature addition alone solidifies this as an instant-buy before anything else, and then there's everything else.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Bulgarian_Empire

This is a thing in the expansion, it will be the best expansion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ZearothK posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Bulgarian_Empire

This is a thing in the expansion, it will be the best expansion.

Unfortunately the start date is just after the empire converted to Christianity. Maybe there will still be a few pagan lords left, and we can usurp and convert the empire back?

edit: Planned invasions may be really cool. Not to harp on this even more, but honestly, it sounds like whoever is designing this expansion just got done playing some Romance of the Three Kingdoms games and thought to add some of the cooler aspects of those into CK2, and I definitely approve. In RTK X, you could announce to your vassals your intention to invade another faction without being at a state of war, and everyone would try to pitch in and raise their own forces. Then when you'd open hostilities, they'd be ready to strike (hopefully). With the bit in the feature list about adventurers joining your war parties, I hope that means a player adventurer would be able to do so as well.

If there is one other thing I'd like in CK2 from an RTK game, it's 8's War Councils. Basically, before battles, all the advisers would get together to discuss and agree upon strategy. Every general in the battle could pitch in an idea, the main war strategist could pitch in multiple ideas/plans, and the actual main battle leader would decide on them. This was mostly just boosting various stats and abilities, and didn't actually affect the tactics of battles, but it was still a cool flavor thing. Before war, perhaps during the invasion planning phase, I'd like to see an event chain or something that simulates a war council of sorts.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 31, 2013

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Old Gods sounds absolutely great. Can't wait.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Just gonna leave these here:

CK2: The Old Gods.

Until I clicked on the link I genuinely believed it was a Cthulu expansion.

e: incidentally I note that they're both being called 'expansions', which is interesting because CK2's obviously been on a product path of smaller but feature focused and lower priced DLC and HoD looks like a more traditional broader and higher priced expansion. Is Paradox still on the fence on what model to go for or is this just old product pipelines playing themselves out?

PS. Someone might need to look at the Facebook API you have on paradoxplaza.com. It's defaulting to Swedish rather than the viewer's language.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 31, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: Just to throw more love at Heart of Darkness, I think lifting the "crisis" system from Pride of Nations is a stroke of genius, especially if they can trigger dynamically rather than as scripted events. I can't wait to see the kinds of conflicts nations will be drawn into over it.

Alchenar posted:

Until I clicked on the link I genuinely believed it was a Cthulu expansion.
I think that was the intention. How many Paradox forum-goers are going to lose their poo poo over this title, even after reading what it's actually about?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A revamp of the colonization system and African politics is exactly what we've been clamoring for this entire time. Yet, I can't help but feel more excited for The Old Gods. I just hope that's because we don't know everything about HoD yet. Just looking at the feature list, it just strikes me as a little odd how HoD will probably be a $20 expansion, but seemingly have fewer features than The Old Ones. Granted, a couple of those features are really big. I guess I'm just more excited about turning all of Europe Pagan than I am about HoD.

edit: From the Paradox Forums:

Doomdark posted:

Just to stop any rumors, you will not be able to play as a landless character. They will be AI controlled while on their adventure. Also, while the new start date is 867 and you can play all the way to 1453, you cannot start at dates between 867 and 1066 without modding.
:smith: Why you gotta break my heart, man?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 31, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The International Crisis model is what I think I'm really interested in (despite not playing Vicky 2). Every Paradox game could benefit from a system to handle multiple-party negotiations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I hope we get some economic tweaks in the Vicky 2 expansion too. I play it exclusively to turn Zimbabwe Prussia Chile into an economic superpower :ohdear:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Between Old Gods and East vs. West, the longest possible Paradox megacampaign (without mods) is now going to last 1124 years. Any LPer up for a challenge? :shepface:

e: well, there's still the 15-year gap between EU3/March of the Eagles and Vicky 2

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 31, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

PS. Someone might need to look at the Facebook API you have on paradoxplaza.com. It's defaulting to Swedish rather than the viewer's language.

I can tell our web person, but where do you mean exactly? If I hit the FB button on the right it seems to show in English ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Wow. Both those DLC/expansions sound amazing. I just got The Republic and started a new game of CK2 and I've completely forgotten how fun it is. I managed to cause the Holy Roman Empire to dissolve in 1103 due to clever assassinations and rebellions from my possessed duke who thinks he's talking to Jesus.

With the earlier start date I'm getting very tempted to consider a mega-campaign, but the map conversion scares me :ohdear:

If Paradox ever released some utility to make conversions from game to game easier I'd be willing to spend almost full price of a game for it, since the one time I tried converting by hand I gave up due to how confused I was.

• Locked thread