Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah problem is, I think when you have big hard drives (1TB or bigger) a lot of them have the power down when idle routine. This is one that runs off it's own power supply right?

I think you might have to ditch that and go for one that runs power off the USB.

Yeah it has its own power supply. I got one like that hoping for stability :argh:

For now I just really hope Nintendo knows about it and plans on fixing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/29/segas-3d-space-harrier-remake-is-flying-to-australia

Australia is getting 3D Space Harrier soon. Presumably that means it will hit the rest of the world?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Classification verifies that they're at least planning to release it at some point, but I wouldn't put any guarantees on "soon".

I just remembered something... NA still doesn't have those Game Gear games that were supposed to come out in the "summer of 8-bit", does it?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Classification verifies that they're at least planning to release it at some point, but I wouldn't put any guarantees on "soon".

I just remembered something... NA still doesn't have those Game Gear games that were supposed to come out in the "summer of 8-bit", does it?

Nah, Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth have still been sitting at the back of the Virtual Console section since early Fall.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 31):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition - €59.99 / £49.99
WII U eSHOP
    Trine 2: Director's Cut (AU/NZ)- $19.99AUD / $25.99NZD
    Zen Pinball 2 - free, additional tables begin at €2.99 / £2.39
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Zen Pinball 2 DLC Table Packs - €9.99 each
  • Zen Classic Pack featuring Tesla, El Dorado, V12 and Shaman
  • Marvel Pinball featuring Spider-Man, Wolverine, Blade and Iron Man
  • Marvel Pinball: Avengers Chronicles featuring Marvel’s The Avengers, Infinity Gauntlet, World War Hulk, and Fear Itself
  • Marvel Pinball: Vengeance and Virtue featuring X-Men, Thor, Ghost Rider and Moon Knight
    Zen Pinball 2 DLC Tables - €2.99 each
  • Excalibur
  • Earth Defense
  • Sorcerer's Lair
  • Paranormal
  • Mars
  • Epic Quest
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • Fantastic Four
  • Captain America
3DS eSHOP
    The Beet Party: Beet Scratch (video) - €0.99 / £0.89
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Balloon Fight (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30, available until February 21
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U) - 30% off until February 7

NA update (week of January 31):

quote:

WII U eSHOP
    Puddle - $7.99
    The Cave (demo)
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Metal Slug 4 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Bloody Vampire - $4.99
    Fire Emblem Awakening (February 4) - $39.99
    Witch's Cat - $4.99
3DS eSHOP
    Ikachan - $4.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Sparkle Snapshots 3D DLC Decoration Sets - $0.99 each
  • Mario Core Set
  • Mario Kart 7 Set
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Ice Climbers (NES) - $4.99
DSIWARE
    99Moves - 200 Points / $1.99
SALES/PROMOTIONS

NOA doesn't list prices for retail downloads and isn't listing the Puddle price, sorry about that.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 1, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Witch's cat and bloody vampire are both $4.99. The eShop updates are weird because if you search at midnight, a number of things will appear, some immediately available, others waiting for the noon update.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Puddle is $7.99 for the Wii U.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Thanks for that, duderinos.

Dehry posted:

Witch's cat and bloody vampire are both $4.99. The eShop updates are weird because if you search at midnight, a number of things will appear, some immediately available, others waiting for the noon update.

Retail downloads go up at midnight, eShop-only games go up later. I don't remember Witch's Cat/Bloody Vampire getting retail releases, but that's how they're listed on the website.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
What's the word on Ikachan? I'm a little concerned about the game seeming to take place in the water. I loving hate water levels in.. well, anything.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Thanks for that, duderinos.

Retail downloads go up at midnight, eShop-only games go up later. I don't remember Witch's Cat/Bloody Vampire getting retail releases, but that's how they're listed on the website.

They were eShop only. They added the trailer from Pokemon Direct this morning with a different music track so I had to check the whole drat thing to be sure there was nothing new.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Revol posted:

What's the word on Ikachan? I'm a little concerned about the game seeming to take place in the water. I loving hate water levels in.. well, anything.

The original PC game is still available and still free, so take that for a spin. The 3DS version isn't significantly different.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Revol posted:

It's very cave story-esque (I guess why fix what's not broken) in presentation, and very "water level" so far... The controls might set you off, though as PaletteSwappedNinja says it's worth a try. Spikes aren't insta-killing me yet, so there is a plus!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of February 7):

quote:

WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Sengoku 2 (Neo Geo) - 900 Points
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed - €39.99 / £29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Real Heroes: Firefighters 3D Download Version - €9.99 / £8.99
    The Beet Party: Jurassic Fridge (video) - €0.99 / £0.89
    Fractured Soul (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man 2 (NES) - €4.99 / £4.49
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U) - 30% off until February 7

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hm. I've heard good things about the Wii U version, but what's the consensus on the 3DS Sonic racing game? I need something to do with my 3DS before Awakening comes and sweeps my life away.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's been basically no media on the 3DS version so we have no idea how it compares to the real game, only that it was built specifically for 3DS rather than being a port like the Vita version.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Has anyone played those doujin games that came out last week? There's like no one talking about them, you'd think people would be interested in these quirky games.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I bought them both. Only really played Witch's Cat. The game has the most brutal tutorial-to-actual-puzzle difficulty spike I've ever seen. I was just kind of rolling along, and then 2-2 whapped me across the face. Took me a zillion retries to build the stairs to the exit right, and I'm not sure I could do it again. On 2-3, I've solved the puzzle to open the door, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get to it to finish the level. On the other hand, writing this made me want to go and try it again, and I solved it. Now I've retried the next level about thirty times. Again, the base puzzle is easy enough to do but I'm stuck trying to do it in a way that lets me get to the exit...

I kinda wonder if it'd be any easier if I'd played any Rabi Laby...

Bloody Vampire, at least at the beginning, is like a Metroidvania with the attack mechanism from Ys 1 -- you run into things to attack them, take damage if they are stronger or if someone runs into you. There are obviously bits of the levels you can't get to until you upgrade your travel powers. I forgot to save at the first save point (duh) and then died. Didn't want to sit through the opening cutscenes again, so didn't restart.

hamie96
Oct 25, 2011

A wise man once said, "Leave me alone, I'm sleeping."

atholbrose posted:

I bought them both. Only really played Witch's Cat. The game has the most brutal tutorial-to-actual-puzzle difficulty spike I've ever seen. I was just kind of rolling along, and then 2-2 whapped me across the face. Took me a zillion retries to build the stairs to the exit right, and I'm not sure I could do it again. On 2-3, I've solved the puzzle to open the door, but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to get to it to finish the level. On the other hand, writing this made me want to go and try it again, and I solved it. Now I've retried the next level about thirty times. Again, the base puzzle is easy enough to do but I'm stuck trying to do it in a way that lets me get to the exit...

I kinda wonder if it'd be any easier if I'd played any Rabi Laby...

Bloody Vampire, at least at the beginning, is like a Metroidvania with the attack mechanism from Ys 1 -- you run into things to attack them, take damage if they are stronger or if someone runs into you. There are obviously bits of the levels you can't get to until you upgrade your travel powers. I forgot to save at the first save point (duh) and then died. Didn't want to sit through the opening cutscenes again, so didn't restart.

I've been meaning to check out Witch's Cat, but the way you describe it, it seems I'll be throwing my 3DS out the window by the second level.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if Mighty Flip Champs and Mighty Milky Way are worth buying? I recently finished up getting 100% in Mighty Switch Force HD and I'm wondering if the other games are as good.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

KimT posted:

Does anyone know if Mighty Flip Champs and Mighty Milky Way are worth buying? I recently finished up getting 100% in Mighty Switch Force HD and I'm wondering if the other games are as good.

I haven't played Milky Way but Flip Champs is pretty great. Not a ton of replay value except for improving your times to get S grades on levels but it's a great puzzle game and the soundtrack is fantastic (of course.)

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Mighty Flip Champs is definitely ace. The key is to see each section as a small series of puzzles instead of one big one, if you try to plan everything at once it'll be really hard.

I didn't like Milky Way so much, I can see what you're supposed to do but I just didn't like the whole gravity mechanic and messing around with planet sizes and such. It's a solid game, but I think their platforming-based ones are better.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I, like all men of upbringing and character, also enjoyed Mighty Flip Champs. But gently caress that final level.

I forget how much it is, but it's worth it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Okay then, I'll buy Mighty Flip Champs and maybe Milky Way once I'm done with it. Thanks guys.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dig Dug got added to the NOA eShop for $3.99 with a release date of 02/14/2013
Also Petz 3D, but no price listing there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 - €59.99 / £49.99
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
3DS eSHOP
    Fractured Soul (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
SALES/PROMOTIONS

NA update (week of February 7):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 - $59.99
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Brain Age: Concentration Training (February 10) - $39.99
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (February 12) - $39.99
    Rayman 3D - $29.99
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Etrian Odyssey IV (demo)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Champions of Yore #1 (difficulty: *) - free until March 5!
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man 2 (NES) - $4.99
DSIWARE
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Balloon Fight (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30, available until February 21

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

oh man, I could get Megaman 2 on my 3DS... so tempting...

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

oh man, I could get Megaman 2 on my 3DS... so tempting...

Go for it, once they release Mega Man 3 I will happily have what are, in my opinion at least, the two best Mega Man games in my huge pocket(XL) at all times. Not a bad thing at all.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
No reviews or screenshots online on Sonic All-Stars Racing 3D (the closest thing there is to media is a shaky-cam YouTube clip), and the page for the download on the eShop doesn't even give you a video to gauge your expectations. The best you get is three screenshots - and after viewing those my concerns aren't exactly put at ease. I'm probably going to skip buying this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 - €59.99 / £49.99
WII VIRTUAL CONSOLE
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
3DS eSHOP
    Fractured Soul (demo)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
SALES/PROMOTIONS

NA update (week of February 7):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 - $59.99
3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Brain Age: Concentration Training (February 10) - $39.99
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (February 12) - $39.99
    Rayman 3D - $29.99
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D - $29.99
3DS eSHOP
    Etrian Odyssey IV (demo)
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Fire Emblem Awakening DLC
  • Champions of Yore #1 (Marth, difficulty *) - $2.50, free until March 5!
  • Champions of Yore #2 (Roy, difficulty *) - $2.50
  • Champions of Yore Pack (contains #1, #2 and #3) - $4.00
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man 2 (NES) - $4.99
DSIWARE
SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Balloon Fight (Wii U VC Trial Campaign) - $0.30, available until February 21

Quick update for you NA Fire Emblem dudes - the two new DLC options this week are Champions of Yore #2 (ie ROY), and a Champions of Yore bundle which includes the Marth, Roy and Micaiah maps for a slight discount. (Micaiah/#3 isn't out yet, though, so if you buy the bundle you won't be able to play it right away.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just to be clear about the FE DLC.

CoY#1 is free and unlocks Pr. Marth (with his unique class) as a character.
#2 costs $2.50 and unlocks Roy who is not a unique class but has some strong skills.
#3 is not out yet but will include Micaiah as an unlockable character and a very valuable Skill Tome.

None of these are necessary but they're useful for grinding on higher difficulty levels and the Skill Tome can be a pretty nice boon for later DLC maps.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
How do the stat boosting items interact with stat caps? Are they effectively the same as getting those stats from leveling e.g. they won't exceed caps presumably?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see this wasn't in the fire emblem thread proper.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 8, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GaistHeidegger posted:

How do the stat boosting items interact with stat caps? Are they effectively the same as getting those stats from leveling e.g. they won't exceed caps presumably?

Any equippable skill that boosts your stats will allow them to go over the stat cap, which is why this particular item is fairly valuable.

(It's a DLC question so I figure it can be answered here>)

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
New Club Nintendo games are up, and it's good!

Paper Mario for Wii for 200 coins
Birds and Beans for 3DS for 100 coins
Kirby Superstar for Wii for 150 coins

I might pick up Kirby Superstar. :)

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I got excited when I saw Paper Mario before I realized it wasn't a 3DS title. So far I haven't wanted any of the 3DS rewards at all.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

I got excited when I saw Paper Mario before I realized it wasn't a 3DS title. So far I haven't wanted any of the 3DS rewards at all.

Same here. Half of the time I really want the game, then realize it's for Wii or Wii U. (Not that most of the games couldn't be easily ported, I would imagine.) Kirby Superstar for 3DS, yes please!

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Chinook posted:

Same here. Half of the time I really want the game, then realize it's for Wii or Wii U. (Not that most of the games couldn't be easily ported, I would imagine.) Kirby Superstar for 3DS, yes please!

Kirby Superstar Ultra, if you can find it for a reasonable price, is good. I don't notice the stretching or whatever people cry fowl on when I play my copy.

Now the problem comes down to finding it at a reasonable price.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Edoraz posted:

Kirby Superstar Ultra, if you can find it for a reasonable price, is good. I don't notice the stretching or whatever people cry fowl on when I play my copy.

Yeah I enjoyed Superstar Ultra a ton. Don't really need to get this version, especially if I ever find the Kirby Collection for a good price.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rirse posted:

Yeah I enjoyed Superstar Ultra a ton. Don't really need to get this version, especially if I ever find the Kirby Collection for a good price.

I got it the other day for $25, but I didn't get the art book or whatever. I still haven't had a chance to play it though :argh:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Waffleopolis posted:

New Club Nintendo games are up, and it's good!

Paper Mario for Wii for 200 coins
Birds and Beans for 3DS for 100 coins
Kirby Superstar for Wii for 150 coins

I might pick up Kirby Superstar. :)

Cool, now I can get a copy of Paper Mario I don't have to plug my N64 in for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Edoraz posted:

Not stretching, but people complain about the lower resolution; not sure if this is even a thing on DS, it was mostly a thing on the GBA. Of course, it wouldn't apply to Super Star Ultra either way because it uses a different Kirby sprite/tileset that is completely redone.

But anyway, fantastic game, everyone buy it.