Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

To be fair, yeah, arguing over 'Anamanaguchi were good in the old days, not this newfangled stuff!' is kind of the hipster equivalent of discussing the finer points of Call Me Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Shalinor posted:

I still think you guys are kind of crazy. I loved the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, I love Anamanaguchi's other stuff, and I ended up throwing it all into one big playlist that I play all the time.

... and I think I have you beat for chiptunes hipsterness. I also love the Proteus GameCity mixtape, which intermingles Avante-garde chiptunes with experimental jazz :coolfish:

Sorry to further derail, but if you want to talk about chiptunes and jazz Shnabubula has you covered.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Shalinor posted:

I still think you guys are kind of crazy. I loved the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, I love Anamanaguchi's other stuff, and I ended up throwing it all into one big playlist that I play all the time.

This, this right here. And getting to see them live in concert with Starscream was amazing. :allears:

Also this is the best song from the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eZIDojXuho

[Another Winter's pretty great though, maybe I just listened to it so much I burned out on it, I dunno, I tend to do that]

e. and the game itself is fantastic with four drunk people. "STOP PICKING ME UP AND THROWING ME YOU gently caress" etc. Good times.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I use the Scott Pilgrim sountrack as an alarm playlist, because it's great and also loud.

If they had come out with this DLC a bit closer to when the game was relevant to my friends and me, I'd be all over it. But after the disappointing Knives DLC, and the amount of time that's passed, I can't say I'll be looking to get this.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Stelas posted:

To be fair, yeah, arguing over 'Anamanaguchi were good in the old days, not this newfangled stuff!' is kind of the hipster equivalent of discussing the finer points of Call Me Maybe.

I once accidentally used "it's really obscure, you probably haven't heard of it" to describe Yakuza. I was the video game hipster of my college class.

I don't think Kiryu would approve :ohdear:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Captain Walker posted:

I once accidentally used "it's really obscure, you probably haven't heard of it" to describe Yakuza. I was the video game hipster of my college class.

I don't think Kiryu would approve :ohdear:

To be fair, the Yakuza series is entirely too obscure for how good it is. Always one lonely copy of Yakuza 4, sitting on a store shelf, buried between Football Game 2012 and Movie Tie In Game, collecting dust. :smith:

The series deserves more attention than it gets, it's one of the best, and pretty much the only series that I will obsess over release dates for and skip out on work on launch day to track down a copy for. That's what I did with 4 and Dead Souls, and that's what I will do for 5 [5 will get here, it will, it has to, I have to believe this].

And I don't regret doing it for Dead Souls. :colbert:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Sega really ought to make a viral site: Kiryu Kazuma facts. Kiryu Kazuma once punched a tiger in the balls. Kiryu Kazuma counted to infinity four times. The Millenium Tower has a near-Kiryu experience every year, that sort of thing.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
They couldn't do any worse than Sony making viral sites.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Better yet, get Kojima to do it. Man knows how to work a fan base into a rabid frenzy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Captain Walker posted:

Better yet, get Kojima to do it. Man knows how to work a fan base into a rabid frenzy.
The problem is that Kojima can do SO MUCH that no other Japanese developer or publisher seems to be able to do, if he offered to do it for them there'd be no end to the work.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So what's everyone looking forward to this year? I think a lot of games still have very tentative release dates and it's starting to look barren for a while after we get Metal Gear Rising and Last of Us.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Sega really ought to make a viral site: Kiryu Kazuma facts. Kiryu Kazuma once punched a tiger in the balls. Kiryu Kazuma counted to infinity four times. The Millenium Tower has a near-Kiryu experience every year, that sort of thing.

Hell, just make Kiryu's Revelations blog.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Ineffiable posted:

So what's everyone looking forward to this year? I think a lot of games still have very tentative release dates and it's starting to look barren for a while after we get Metal Gear Rising and Last of Us.

Well, The Last of Us is looking bananas and is almost enough on its own for me, but despite the fact that PS4 and (please, please) Vita will likely be the focus of E3 for Sony this year, I bet we're still going to get some big time, last hurrah type stuff then.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Captain Walker posted:

Sega really ought to make a sequel to Sonic Generations :(

Speaking of which, I came across a game being developed by some Greek guy which perfectly embodies everything that I wish Sega was these days. Really, look at how loving amazing this is! There's gameplay footage starting about halfway through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywfy_hcq_s

I wish Sega still made games like this :negative:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

I'm looking forward to the new Tomb Raider, The Last of Us and Dragon's Crown. I'll probably also end up playing MGR, even though I couldn't make heads or tails of the demo.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The new God of War is due in March too.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I might be the only one looking forward to Beyond. :ohdear:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cyra posted:

I might be the only one looking forward to Beyond. :ohdear:

I am too, but that's a tenative release, and I don't think we have a release date set in stone. It's more than likely after the summer though, so once Last of Us drops, we might have a pretty big drought.

I wish we could get Yakuza 5

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
From the demo of MGR:R it seems like a cool gimmick expanded to full-game length...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really could not figure out the demo for MGR:R. Like I manged to beat it but I'm not sure if I was doing anything right. I also am not a fan of relying on counters, or at least not counters that are activated like that.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I really could not figure out the demo for MGR:R. Like I manged to beat it but I'm not sure if I was doing anything right.

Try it again, then - you learn a lot each time. The demo does drop you in at the deep end. A very limited tutorial and skipping the entire prologue act doesn't help. It seems to be a nearly year-old build from a tech show early-ish last year.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ineffiable posted:

I wish we could get Yakuza 5

Shut up, shut up stop it

I have to believe. :ohdear:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

axleblaze posted:

I really could not figure out the demo for MGR:R. Like I manged to beat it but I'm not sure if I was doing anything right. I also am not a fan of relying on counters, or at least not counters that are activated like that.
The big thing it does is that by effectively removing the standard back dodge but replacing it with a counter, they shift the momentum of combat to always be forward. You're never dodging back to watch patterns or look for an opening, and you're not trying to punish bad or missed combos. You are constantly at their throat, reacting to what they're doing, and recognizing (and hopefully taking) the openings as they open at basically point blank.

Alternatively, you can just slide into everyone, enter slice mode, and whip the right stick around. It kind of turns you into a ginsu knife crossed with a rocket, it's pretty neat. Don't try it on the boss, though, or you'll get punished hard.

My only gripe with the controls is that I want to lock out the left stick if I'm in slice mode. I get that it's to allow for better aiming of cuts, but every time you enter it, you're rushing forward - which almost always means the camera skews off in some stupid direction and you end up cutting air. I feel like disabling it during that mode wouldn't matter much, and that I'd still be able to pull off the moves I needed, but without the goofy camera skew into the sky any time I forget.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shalinor posted:

My only gripe with the controls is that I want to lock out the left stick if I'm in slice mode.

I reversed the sticks so that the left stick controls blade-mode swings, and the right stick moves the camera no matter which mode you're in. Fits my brain a lot better - the controls are pretty configurable.

But yeah, you've nailed it - the entire design of the game is focused on absolute aggression. You don't need to preemptively parry enemy attacks - you can literally cancel out of your own attacks into a parry, or even parry straight out of taking damage. You block bullets by ninja-running directly into them. Everything is stacked so that the most effective way to play is a berserker charge headlong into danger, because that's how Raiden works.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It does have its uses. I've found that the quickest way to do a zandatsu is to target the reticle with the left stick, then press square. Works everytime.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy Versus XIII :shepicide:

Real releases, in alphabetical order:
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
  • Dark Souls II
  • Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
  • God of War: Ascension
  • Grand Theft Auto 5
  • Killer is Dead
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Puppeteer
  • Rain
  • Remember Me
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
  • Yakuza 5
  • Watch Dogs
  • Zwei

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Zwei is confirmed for this year? We haven't even seen anything from it!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

The big thing it does is that by effectively removing the standard back dodge but replacing it with a counter, they shift the momentum of combat to always be forward. You're never dodging back to watch patterns or look for an opening, and you're not trying to punish bad or missed combos. You are constantly at their throat, reacting to what they're doing, and recognizing (and hopefully taking) the openings as they open at basically point blank.

Alternatively, you can just slide into everyone, enter slice mode, and whip the right stick around. It kind of turns you into a ginsu knife crossed with a rocket, it's pretty neat. Don't try it on the boss, though, or you'll get punished hard.

I guess the thing is that I just don't like that type of counter. I've never been a fan of the press a button and a direction just as you're being attacked. I know it's like in every gaem but it's usually optional with a bunch of less good but less precise alternatives. I don't like being forced to just use the one type.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I guess the thing is that I just don't like that type of counter. I've never been a fan of the press a button and a direction just as you're being attacked. I know it's like in every gaem but it's usually optional with a bunch of less good but less precise alternatives. I don't like being forced to just use the one type.

You don't need to be precise with it at all. The window for parrying is huge. You do get an automatic counter if you time a parry just right, but that's just deadly icing on the murder-cake.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I am super excited for Bioshock Infinite, GTA5, Last of Us, Killer is Dead and Tales of Xillia... I feel like I don't really need to list Dead Space 3 or Revengence since they are right around the corner. And of course if it seriously comes out this year, I'll preorder Dark Souls II the second it has a release date.

Then there's all the stuff that I'm interested in but will probably wait a bit to get, since I have a backlog of stuff from last year to clear out still. Stuff like Tomb Raider, Atelier Ayesha, Sly Cooper, Lord of Shadows 2, Dragon's Crown, Deadly Premonition, RE: Revelations...

So as far as I'm concerned this year has quite a bit of stuff I'm looking forward to. There are even a few games from the last year or two I can go pick up during any empty space.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

This video was just posted on the Sony PlayStation YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g82C4Nu_Jq8

Something important is happening on February 20th.

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X
Playstation Meeting! The last times they used that word, they revealed the PS3 and the "NGP".

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

MUFFlNS posted:

This video was just posted on the Sony PlayStation YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g82C4Nu_Jq8

Something important is happening on February 20th.

I'm feeling like this is our pre-E3 PS4 announcement. Hopefully they'll put these nasty rumors about blocking used games to rest and we (I) can start thinking about my preorder.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So February 20th is Orbis and the 25th is Destination PlayStation? Cool times!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So either PlayStation Home comes out of beta on Feb 20th or we'll have PS4 info. Wicked.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

PlayStation Home's probably just continuing onto Orbis as BigFest, which really excites me for 2 reasons: 1) maybe they won't gently caress it up so badly this time, and 2) hopefully a ton of Home poo poo isn't compatible so I can watch the literal children who argue about Home content scream about entitlement. They flipped their poo poo when Sony announced PS+ exclusive features, and by God do I want to see them freak the gently caress out over a whole new platform.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sony is just trying to steal my birthday away from me :(

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Playstation Home has fans?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Playstation Home has fans?

According to Sony something like 7 million PSN users actually use it on a weekly basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

According to Sony something like 7 million PSN users actually use it on a weekly basis.

Holy bajesus really :psyduck:

• Locked thread