Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

powderific posted:

This blog always has lots of pictures from the Tamiya booth: http://tamiyablog.com/

Ah yes, they always show off cool stuff. Looking at all those make me happy I don't have the space/money for Tamiya kits because I would own them all. Even the farm truck wheelie kit is awesome. :allears: also good is that the Porsche was a plastic model kit because I would no doubt have to own one were it radio controlled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Ah yes, they always show off cool stuff. Looking at all those make me happy I don't have the space/money for Tamiya kits because I would own them all. Even the farm truck wheelie kit is awesome. :allears: also good is that the Porsche was a plastic model kit because I would no doubt have to own one were it radio controlled.
Tamiya did a RC 935, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their first RC car (which was also a 935). Based of a short wheelbase TA05 if I remember correctly.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

You Am I posted:

Tamiya did a RC 935, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their first RC car (which was also a 935). Based of a short wheelbase TA05 if I remember correctly.

Pretty sure it was the limited release 934 Turbo RSR that was using the modified TA05 chassis. I had a chance to buy one of the black edition when at HRP but decided I didn't need it. I'd slap 4 year ago me right now.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Pretty sure it was the limited release 934 Turbo RSR that was using the modified TA05 chassis. I had a chance to buy one of the black edition when at HRP but decided I didn't need it. I'd slap 4 year ago me right now.
Oops, you are right, got the model numbers incorrect.

On other news, my Much More power supply died last night, a little spark then some smoke. Opened it up but can't find any burnt or broken bits. Dammit

EDIT: Found the issue with the power supply, the solder had fallen apart where the IEC connector mounts on the circuit board, thus a dry socket. Solder time :)

You Am I fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 31, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Had a good look at that Horizon rock racer, the inboard front shocks are cool and the cage is well-done, the driver figure is neat and rear end looks realistic but I don't like how the battery is mounted high up in the rear.

The rest of that line is aimed at new RC folks, looks alright.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

krushgroove posted:

I haven't been on their stand yet but I always love drooling over the dioramas and etched metal bits for their static models.
If you ever find yourself out in Japan, make a point of popping in to their headquarters in Shizuoka. From one perspective, it's nothing special - a room of display cabinets with both historically significant models and previous winners of competitions, a few old cars they've used as the basis of models, and a small shop, but there's something about it that makes it clear they really do enjoy what they do.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

A bunch of my club was interested in purchasing the new Tamiya Farm King for a cheap box stock tractor pulling class....but the price is 220 for a kit so no way! I wish Tamiya would come down on prices.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

A bunch of my club was interested in purchasing the new Tamiya Farm King for a cheap box stock tractor pulling class....but the price is 220 for a kit so no way! I wish Tamiya would come down on prices.

Buy it from overseas, you can get it for 3/4th the price from Japan or Hong Kong. EMS postal delivery gets it to your door within days. It's like a 3 day turn around for me to get parts from HK to Australia

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

needknees posted:

Totally helpful :words:

What I'd come up with already is almost your suggestions verbatim, except I'm totally gay for the Durango DEX408. I'm gonna spring for the Futaba 4PKS-R, because I liked Futaba in the past, and it can be converted to left hand use (I'm right handed, but drive lefty. :iiam:) and likely buy an equivalent Futaba servo, just to keep it in the family.

The bonus with the DEX408 is I can use the same batteries in 1/10th vehicles, and there's a bit more selection in 2s packs. Also Ryan Lutz is a great source of info for setups. He responded to a question through Facebook from me which was nice.

Sadly I'm not too close to Mike's, but I intend to drive up there for races once I get back into the groove of things. I've got the Temple R/C track, and 439 Raceway for 1/8th, so that gives me two nights a week to race, and at least two or three nights available for practice.

Good suggestion about the stock 2wd buggy. I can pick up a DEX210, a blinky ESC/motor combo, and a servo and have a 2nd car to run for relatively cheap!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So, a bit of non-RC-forum market research: is there anything from the Toy Fair that has grabbed anyone's attention? It's been a pretty slow year for new releases but I want to know what you guys think are any highlights of the show, from what you've seen elsewhere.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 4, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I haven't seen any good write ups about on road RC from there, other than the announcement of the TT02 (yawn)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

antimatt posted:

What I'd come up with already is almost your suggestions verbatim, except I'm totally gay for the Durango DEX408. I'm gonna spring for the Futaba 4PKS-R, because I liked Futaba in the past, and it can be converted to left hand use (I'm right handed, but drive lefty. :iiam:) and likely buy an equivalent Futaba servo, just to keep it in the family.

The bonus with the DEX408 is I can use the same batteries in 1/10th vehicles, and there's a bit more selection in 2s packs. Also Ryan Lutz is a great source of info for setups. He responded to a question through Facebook from me which was nice.

Sadly I'm not too close to Mike's, but I intend to drive up there for races once I get back into the groove of things. I've got the Temple R/C track, and 439 Raceway for 1/8th, so that gives me two nights a week to race, and at least two or three nights available for practice.

Good suggestion about the stock 2wd buggy. I can pick up a DEX210, a blinky ESC/motor combo, and a servo and have a 2nd car to run for relatively cheap!

I got to meet Lutz at the Byron's race last fall and he was super laid back. Hell of a driver too.

Durango definitely has some interesting cars. I am not a big fan of how their e buggy is laid out though. Running two 2s packs seems good in theory but in reality a more standard setup with a single 4s or 6s pack offers better weight distribution in the car. Of all the e buggies on the market I honestly believe the Tekno car to be the best, hands down. Something to think about anyway :). Another thing to consider is parts support.

Its not a buggy, but I have a nearly new Durango stadium truck I would sell cheap. Raced it 3x and one practice session.. couple sets of tires and extra wheels. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I have near zero parts support for anything here so I will be relying on Tower Hobbies and A Main. The Tekno was definitely my second choice, but like I mentioned I'm gay for anything Durango. I think it is because I paid so much attention to the company when they were building prototype cars using Associated suspension parts back in the day. (Same reason I like JConcepts. I was on the list for one of the first 25 BJ4 chassis, but turned it down because I had to move away from the nice track I was near.)

I've always been biased against gas cars, but the idea of 30min+ mains is awesome!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The Mrs. just ordered a B4.1 for my birthday. A Main's got 'em for $199, and I've been wanting to get into 2WD buggy. I've got a 10.5 Novak and a Tekin RS to slap in it. I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
grats on the b4.1 TremorX, Love 2wd sct myself.

still working on my hilux project, just waiting for parts to come in to work on the chassis but I have the cab just about finished, just the sanding and filling left. The dinky interior is amazing.

anyone have any suggestions for a 35t motor? or a motor in general? I plan to use the rc4wd tranny gear ratio of 16:1 and transfer case of 1:1.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've used all different turns in my trucks and I stick with the Axial 27t. Dirt cheap, last forever, great mix of speed for trails with the balls to climb.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

My Wraith was just given a total makeover and is now a "Wronco". Those are proline swampers on 2.2 rc4wd steelies.

In an unrelated note, I went up to the local track which was holding the Jconcepts winter nationals this weekend and holy poo poo watching pros race (I believe Ryan Maifield, etc were there) is nuts. I really need to get me a buggy now.

EDIT - Here is coverage of the event. http://events.redrc.net/

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 11, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
We had a number of drivers make the trip down to STL for that race and they did very well, taking home wins in stock buggy, stock truck, second in stock sct, good showings in 4x4sct, 4wd buggy, and mod truck. Wish I could have made it down!

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

My Wraith was just given a total makeover and is now a "Wronco". Those are proline swampers on 2.2 rc4wd steelies.

In an unrelated note, I went up to the local track which was holding the Jconcepts winter nationals this weekend and holy poo poo watching pros race (I believe Ryan Maifield, etc were there) is nuts. I really need to get me a buggy now.

EDIT - Here is coverage of the event. http://events.redrc.net/

what makes it a Wronco again? sweet ride!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

HoWSeR posted:

what makes it a Wronco again? sweet ride!

Thanks, it's a Wraith with a Ford Bronco body so a guy in the club just combined the words and started calling it a Wronco.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like the look of the Wronco. Way cooler than the stock Wraith IMO.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
So I did a thing.

I'm hoping to have everything race ready before my birthday next month. So very excited. If anyone wants to see build photos, I'll post a few.

e: Installed the f/r diffs, carriers and arms!

antimatt fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 13, 2013

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Please post em'!

All you racers...where do the short course buggies fit in racing classes? Do they run with short course trucks? I see Losi, AE, and Kyosho make them now and they look great.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

antimatt posted:

So I did a thing.

I'm hoping to have everything race ready before my birthday next month. So very excited. If anyone wants to see build photos, I'll post a few.

e: Installed the f/r diffs, carriers and arms!

Ooo everything is still shiny and new...

Enjoy the build! 1/8 are fun to put together.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just as a side, does anybody here know where I can get an Audi Quattro Group B body for a RC Car and what chassis would it use? I know Tamiya made a kit, but its really rare now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Carisma make one, not sure what the quality's like.
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carisma-audi-rallye-quattro-pre-painted-bodyshell/rc-car-products/367478

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Pre-painted too? loving sold.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

front wing flexing posted:

Pre-painted too? loving sold.

Just buy the whole car!

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carisma-m40s-audi-quattro-rallye-rtr/rc-car-products/40398

Just found it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 14, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
This thread has been awfully dead lately :colbert:

Have a video of me being dumb and running my new truggy on our tiny indoor track! (putting fuel through a new engine to get it near fully broken in for the next big race I'm going to)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf87OFe9ooM

I'll have a serious :effort: post in the near future for my track's upcoming Spring Classic trophy race! :)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

needknees posted:

This thread has been awfully dead lately :colbert:

Have a video of me being dumb and running my new truggy on our tiny indoor track! (putting fuel through a new engine to get it near fully broken in for the next big race I'm going to)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf87OFe9ooM

I'll have a serious :effort: post in the near future for my track's upcoming Spring Classic trophy race! :)

Cool video, that's a lot of truck for that truck!

My posting has been dead due to the weather. My club had a huge Top Truck Challenge event this weekend but due to the constant loving snow we have it reschedule again for 2 weeks. The weather was a real bummer as we worked our asses off to get the track ready to go, but alas, we should have much better weather in two weeks. I'll post pics of my pulling truck later when I get it finished tonight.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am looking to get into this hobby as I just landed a new network tech gig and have the money to be in a hobby that isn't in front of a computer screen. I know a lot of guys say to start with electric but also being a car guy I really want to start in nitro. I am looking for recommendations for a solid starter vehicle (truck, as I live in an area with a ton of flat grass and mud) that I can later upgrade with all kinds of cool parts. I am looking to spend around $500-$600. I will also need a remote setup.

What are the defacto RC forums/websites for this kind of stuff? Can anyone point me in the direction of some models I should be checking out?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Are you a car guy who likes to tinker or a car guy who likes to drive? I'd suggest nitro for a dude who loves to tinker and mess with stuff, electric for driving, especially for quick runs. I enjoy electric because I can throw it in my truck before i leave for work and have a good 30 minute run at the skate park before I go home.

Actually I just made this list for a buddy yesterday who wants to get into the hobby and enjoyed driving my exo, maybe it will help you.

But there's about a thousand ways you can go with everything and so many people in this thread with much more knowledge about the hobby than myself. I would suggest building it up from a kit rather than buying RTR and checking out rctech.com forums, they are pretty big.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

cr0y posted:

I am looking to get into this hobby as I just landed a new network tech gig and have the money to be in a hobby that isn't in front of a computer screen. I know a lot of guys say to start with electric but also being a car guy I really want to start in nitro. I am looking for recommendations for a solid starter vehicle (truck, as I live in an area with a ton of flat grass and mud) that I can later upgrade with all kinds of cool parts. I am looking to spend around $500-$600. I will also need a remote setup.

What are the defacto RC forums/websites for this kind of stuff? Can anyone point me in the direction of some models I should be checking out?

What Mcqueen said basically about nitro vs. electric. What are you looking to do with the truck? From what you imply, I'm going to assume you are maybe looking for a monster truck?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am looking to get my hands dirty which is why I wanted to get into nitro. I like the idea of working on a little motor and doing rebuilds and whatnot. I have a lot of experience stripping car motors down to the pistons and putting them back together so I think I have the skill set and patience to work on a nitro truck.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

cr0y posted:

I am looking to get my hands dirty which is why I wanted to get into nitro. I like the idea of working on a little motor and doing rebuilds and whatnot. I have a lot of experience stripping car motors down to the pistons and putting them back together so I think I have the skill set and patience to work on a nitro truck.

Yeah, anymore I generally try and talk guys out of nitro but you definitely sound like a nitro kind of guy. What are you looking to do with the truck? If you are wanting to bash a Traxxas T-Maxx is a good all purpose monster truck that generally has great parts support (both at your hobby shop and from the manufacturer). If you are looking at racing a 1/8 nitro buggy is generally popular. Give us some specifics and we can probably find a good suggestion for you.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Nitro is a huge pain in the rear end but it's pretty rewarding when it all comes together. There's a TON more maintenance to keep one running in top conditions. The clutch needs attention frequently, the engines are very picky on fuel mixture, its messy, fuel is expensive, need lots of support equipment, etc etc.

But when it all works like it should, nothing electric quite compares :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

If you really want the fun of working on an engine, tuning carbs and whatnot check out 1/5 stuff. I work at the largest 1/5 retailer out there, you're welcome to call me if you want any help. Check out davesmotors.com :)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

My B4.1!

I rattle-canned the body just to get it on the track. Unfortunately we got rained out so I haven't actually driven it on the track yet... if I'd known I would've waited. I just bought an airbrush (Iwata HP-CS) and I've been practicing with a loaner Paasche VL to learn and build some confidence and I'm feeling pretty good about tackling airbrushing a new body for it, my D8, and the SC10 I'm trading into.

Psycho Nitro Blast is only a few weeks away!!!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

B4 looks great. I really need to get an airbrush. I've become the master of the rattle can!

I just finished my pulling truck for our 8 lbs 1.9 Diesel pickup class. You can run either a dually or one "super single" on the back. The truck weighs 5 lbs by itself and then I have 3 lbs in the weight box. This fucker hooks. My scx10 has so many looks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Nostrils
Feb 14, 2008

^^^ Is there a way to make that stack billow black smoke during a pull?

I've been lurking the thread since it started, but I've been out of the hobby for a long time. The concept of scalers really piqued my interest, so for a winter project I picked up a Trailfinder 2.

I've been picking away since December, and finally got it "done". It's stock, but has the usual free mods (front shackle swap, high-steer, front shock relocation), and some aftermarket stuff (Dinky interior, tailgate lettering).

I had a blast building it, although I found out I suck at paint and body. Luckily, you don't notice the flaws when it's all together, plus it's going to get beat up and dirty anyway. When I build up the budget some more, and the Canadian dollar comes back up, I've got some more goodies to add, like a winch, better bumpers, a roll bar, but it's fine for now.

The thing I'm most proud of is the custom body mounts so there's fewer ugly screws holding the body on. The body just snaps into some circular pockets epoxied to the inside of the shell. It uses the stock mounting shafts, and is very secure, plus it's easy to get to the battery.