Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

monkeybounce posted:

I think this started as a project among a couple of friends all running WHS boxes which they then turned public. So it kind of makes sense that there's no mono support if they didn't intend to make it public.

I guess they wanted to make a fun project for themselves which is perfectly fine!

So I'm having a very annoying problem with my SABConnect++ extension in chrome, sometimes it insist asking me the login/pass repeatedly like for every access it makes I have to click okay, I saw people saying that I should set the password in the settings which were indeed missing but even with it filled the problem keeps going on. Anyone has a clue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

bigis posted:

I currently use Astraweb with the free xusenet as a backup server. Would I be able to complete this file by purchasing a block plan from Supernews, deleting all the par2 files, and re-queuing the file in SAB? Or am I on the wrong track here?

Supernews doesn't have block accounts.

If a backup account would help or not really depends on why the file is incomplete. If it's because of a DMCA complaint, it's likely missing from all servers. I have backup accounts from multiple providers and generally if something is a little bit broken it can be repaired, but if it's missing 1000+ blocks, it seems to be missing from all my servers.

How many parts do you need to repair the file? If it's only a few, a block account would probably work for you.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Where the hell would I go to actually find Linux isos to download from usenet? All the Arch mirrors are slow and my router is stupid about bittorrent.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

fivre posted:

Where the hell would I go to actually find Linux isos to download from usenet? All the Arch mirrors are slow and my router is stupid about bittorrent.

I don't think this question has ever been asked before...

Seriously, though. I've always found them in a.b.cd.image.linux. I'm not sure if that actually gets indexed or not by most of the indexers, so I'm not really sure where you would find an NZB.

Spotweb does a pretty good job of listing them though.

PM me and I'll send you a couple of spots to make life easier.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

fivre posted:

Welp, my brain just exploded.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nevermind, I figured it out

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 31, 2013

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I'm using a very old version of sabnzbd (0.5.6 or something like that) and i see there's a 0.7.something version available. If i make such a big jump in the upgrade, will anything bad happen? I have an old sickbeard installation that i also probably have to upgrade as well. Thanks

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

monkeybounce posted:

I don't think this question has ever been asked before...

Seriously, though. I've always found them in a.b.cd.image.linux. I'm not sure if that actually gets indexed or not by most of the indexers, so I'm not really sure where you would find an NZB.

Spotweb does a pretty good job of listing them though.

PM me and I'll send you a couple of spots to make life easier.

Binsearch (https://www.binsearch.info) indexes a.b.cd.image.linux click on 'Browse groups', that will show the most popular groups. Click on 'view other groups indexed', and scroll down to alt.binaries.cd.image.linux, knock yourself out.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I feel like such a newb but it's been years since I've gotten into all of this, but I'm looking to get back into usenet. Apparently there are now a million indexers all of which require secret handshakes in order to get invites, and the OP is apparently over a year out of date. I need a new indexer since newzbin is long dead now and I don't even know where to ask for invites since we can't do it here, nor do I know what to ask for an invite to anyway. Is there some sort of simple "register here, download this, go to this public restroom, ask for Mike" kind of instructions?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Mister Fister posted:

I'm using a very old version of sabnzbd (0.5.6 or something like that) and i see there's a 0.7.something version available. If i make such a big jump in the upgrade, will anything bad happen? I have an old sickbeard installation that i also probably have to upgrade as well. Thanks

Backup your config and upgrade, you'll just lose your queue/history.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Gilok posted:

I feel like such a newb but it's been years since I've gotten into all of this, but I'm looking to get back into usenet. Apparently there are now a million indexers all of which require secret handshakes in order to get invites, and the OP is apparently over a year out of date. I need a new indexer since newzbin is long dead now and I don't even know where to ask for invites since we can't do it here, nor do I know what to ask for an invite to anyway. Is there some sort of simple "register here, download this, go to this public restroom, ask for Mike" kind of instructions?

Not really, some sites have been going private to not get the axe and the only way to get in is with an invite. There are multiple person in this thread which have access to these sites and thy post invites sometimes for goons. I guess the best for now is to use an open site (there are a few which were discussed some pages back) and come back here periodically to check if new invites have been posted.

Also there is a goon nzb project that is being worked on by some awesomes goons in this very thread so maybe wait for this as well :eng101:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Gilok posted:

I know it's reddit and everything, but if you go through reddit.com/r/usenet you can find a lot of free, open indexers. Quality might vary, but if you can't get an invite to nzb.su that is a good way to start.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How portable are SABNZBD, Nzbdrone, Headphones etc.?

I ask because I managed to kill my laptop before backing anything at all up, and while that's out of action I want to temporarily set up all my usenet poo poo on my desktop. Would it be possible to just grab the folders from my desktop and drop them back onto the laptop when that's up and running again, since nothing is actually installed so much as it's just running out of extracted folders? Or do they store various things in the bowels of the appdata and programdata folders that I'd need to be wary of?

I basically just wanna know if I should just set up the essential stuff and make do until I'm going to get everything back online, or if I could do the whole hog now and then just shift the folders because I'm super lazy and I don't wanna do it all twice.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Pretty sure you can change every directory where everything is stored, including config files.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Grab Meatcastle posted:

How portable are SABNZBD, Nzbdrone, Headphones etc.?

I ask because I managed to kill my laptop before backing anything at all up, and while that's out of action I want to temporarily set up all my usenet poo poo on my desktop. Would it be possible to just grab the folders from my desktop and drop them back onto the laptop when that's up and running again, since nothing is actually installed so much as it's just running out of extracted folders? Or do they store various things in the bowels of the appdata and programdata folders that I'd need to be wary of?

I basically just wanna know if I should just set up the essential stuff and make do until I'm going to get everything back online, or if I could do the whole hog now and then just shift the folders because I'm super lazy and I don't wanna do it all twice.

Yup. Just make sure you have your dependencies (python, cheetah, etc) and you'll be good to go. Just be aware, if running windows, that some things will be in %appdata%\Roaming\ so you'll want to get those too, not just where you installed it to.

If it's any help, I've set mine up on a SD Card
code:
F:\applications\<application>
F:\applications\configurations
I have everything installed into F:\applications and all of my config files/temp files/XBMC userdata/etc in F:\applications\configurations. If I ever have to move it (and I have several times before), then I just eject the card and pop it into whatever else. All of the applications are remarkably self-contained and have cmdline switches to specifiy the configuration directory.

Just make sure you don't have SAB using the SD card for the temporary download directory. :)

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 31, 2013

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Apparently there are now 20 bazillion forks of LazyLibrarian out there--are any of them worth using?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I've started messing around with Usenet due to this thread. Paid for Usenet access (blocknews) and using sabnzdb. My question is, is there a difference between these paid indexing sites and the free ones (usenet crawler, for instance)? Is it really worth to it pay for an indexing site?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

So I've started messing around with Usenet due to this thread. Paid for Usenet access (blocknews) and using sabnzdb. My question is, is there a difference between these paid indexing sites and the free ones (usenet crawler, for instance)? Is it really worth to it pay for an indexing site?

Seriously? Read the last 10 pages where this is discussed in length.

The free ones are okay. The VIP ones are better.

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

Looks like more nzb.su invites are going out. GONE!

BRBPR fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 31, 2013

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

yotoc posted:

Looks like more nzb.su invites are going out. PM or email jay@yotoc.com

PM sent :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

yotoc posted:

Looks like more nzb.su invites are going out. PM or email jay@yotoc.com

Email sent :)

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

yotoc posted:

Gone. Christ you guys are fast.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 31, 2013

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Did something happen to nzb.su? I had an account that I was using this past summer when I started screwing around with this usenet business but kinda neglected it for the past few months. So I decided I wanted to get things up and running again, but I can't get access to the site. I tried logging in with all of my usual passwords, and when that got me no where, i hit the "forgot password" link only for it to tell me that it didn't have an account with that email address :wtf: I know i'm using the correct address as I've still got the old emails from setting up the account in the first place.

Did they purge inactive accounts or something?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

yotoc posted:

Did one come my way? I don't seem to have had an e-mail about it is all.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Sleepstupid posted:

Did something happen to nzb.su? I had an account that I was using this past summer when I started screwing around with this usenet business but kinda neglected it for the past few months. So I decided I wanted to get things up and running again, but I can't get access to the site. I tried logging in with all of my usual passwords, and when that got me no where, i hit the "forgot password" link only for it to tell me that it didn't have an account with that email address :wtf: I know i'm using the correct address as I've still got the old emails from setting up the account in the first place.

Did they purge inactive accounts or something?

Can we get this added to the thread title or OP?

Yes. They purged inactive accounts. Someone else just asked about it on the previous page...and the one before that...and before that...and before that...

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

monkeybounce posted:

Yup. Just make sure you have your dependencies (python, cheetah, etc) and you'll be good to go. Just be aware, if running windows, that some things will be in %appdata%\Roaming\ so you'll want to get those too, not just where you installed it to.

If it's any help, I've set mine up on a SD Card
code:
F:\applications\<application>
F:\applications\configurations
I have everything installed into F:\applications and all of my config files/temp files/XBMC userdata/etc in F:\applications\configurations. If I ever have to move it (and I have several times before), then I just eject the card and pop it into whatever else. All of the applications are remarkably self-contained and have cmdline switches to specifiy the configuration directory.

Just make sure you don't have SAB using the SD card for the temporary download directory. :)

This is a great idea, thank you!

While I'm here, does anyone have any anecdotal info about SSL vs VPN? I'm thinking about going to a vpn, and I have heard there is minimal loss in bandwith. With SSL, I lose a bit of my speed. If I go VPN, would it make sense to disable ssl and go through just the regular ports, or would I just use both for "double security"? BTW, I just started researching VPN so if I am wrong please tell me.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 31, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

This is a great idea, thank you!

While I'm here, does anyone have any anecdotal info about SSL vs VPN? I'm thinking about going to a vpn, and I have heard there is minimal loss in bandwith. With SSL, I lose a bit of my speed. If I go VPN, would it make sense to disable ssl and go through just the regular ports, or would I just use both for "double security"? BTW, I just started researching VPN so if I am wrong please tell me.

There's going to be overhead on both aspects. SSL encrypts the data between your machine and whichever server you connect to. VPN tunnels your connection to another machine which then makes the connection to the server for you.

code:
Your machine -----SSL Connection----> Usenet
Your machine ------> VPN Server ----> Usenet
The only advantage that the VPN gives you over SSL is that it's not your IP that's making the connections to the usenet server. Even if using a VPN, I would still recommend SSL since the SSL encryption prevents your data from being snooped*. If you're doing SSL, I don't really see a point in VPN unless you're beyond super paranoid or live in China or something. Plenty of people will probably disagree with me on this part.

There's also the issue that the VPN provider keeps your session information. If they do, you lose the anonymity that the VPN service is supposed to provide.

* Yes, you can still inspect SSL traffic...but it's not likely at an ISP level.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 31, 2013

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

monkeybounce posted:

Can we get this added to the thread title or OP?

Yes. They purged inactive accounts. Someone else just asked about it on the previous page...and the one before that...and before that...and before that...

Ummmmm bullshit? I read the last 3 or 4 pages prior to posting and didn't see anything about purging accounts, only people asking for invites. Thanks for the answer though :thumbsup:

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
EDIT: Gone!

Treytor fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 31, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Sleepstupid posted:

Ummmmm bullshit? I read the last 3 or 4 pages prior to posting and didn't see anything about purging accounts, only people asking for invites. Thanks for the answer though :thumbsup:

Fair enough. The previous page was about API limits. My mistake. It's still be talked about countless times in this thread.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Gone!

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 1, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Flaggy posted:

I have 1 invite to nzb.su. First one who pm's get them. Please include an email address.

Same but I have 5.

Well i have invited 6 goons and my invites says 4, so I still have them. Everyone I invited got an account so whatever.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 1, 2013

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

kri kri posted:

Same but I have 5.

PM Sent! Either way thanks!

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Has headphones sort of stagnated into a piece of poo poo for anyone else or do I just need to reinstall/ reindex?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

kri kri posted:

Same but I have 5.

Well i have invited 6 goons and my invites says 4, so I still have them. Everyone I invited got an account so whatever.

Dig that. You do good work.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

kri kri posted:

Same but I have 5.

Another PM sent on the off chance you have an invite.

In other news: I can't seem to get my newznab install to parse the data with a good regex
can someone post their working regex strings?

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

Jonny Quest posted:

Apparently there are now 20 bazillion forks of LazyLibrarian out there--are any of them worth using?

I'd REALLY love to know the answer to this as well.

I can't even find any active forks.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Oh also put me down for goon zb project. Definitely feel more comfortable giving my money to goons.

houndspy91fc
Oct 16, 2008
I have 2 invites for nzb.su PM your e-mail address to get one.
Gone

houndspy91fc fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

GateheaD posted:

Has headphones sort of stagnated into a piece of poo poo for anyone else or do I just need to reinstall/ reindex?

It finds like 10 things for me once every other month. It's not that great.