Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

Yep! They did do that! I hadn't really thought about the learning aspect of it before and just figured it was a cute habit both mother and daughter had, but it totally makes sense in retrospect.

This is actually something I've been wondering about myself. It's pretty commonly accepted that cats see humans they bond with as kind of big hairless mother cats. I've been wondering if they pick stuff up from us as well. My cat, for instance, has a weird habit where he eats with his paw. He'll pluck out a pawful of food from the bowl, then eat it off his paw. Everyone seems to think he's picked it up watching me (because obviously as a human I eat sandwiches and whatnot with my hand).

When we leave and come back our two cats will always be sitting in our two computer chairs like us. Then even match gender and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

socialsecurity posted:

When we leave and come back our two cats will always be sitting in our two computer chairs like us. Then even match gender and everything.

Yeah, mine hangs out in my computer chair as well. A couple of times he's nearly been sat on because he absolutely DARTS into the chair the second my rear end is high enough above it for him to fit.

And yes, bowl kitten was adorable :3:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Der Shovel posted:

This is actually something I've been wondering about myself. It's pretty commonly accepted that cats see humans they bond with as kind of big hairless mother cats. I've been wondering if they pick stuff up from us as well. My cat, for instance, has a weird habit where he eats with his paw. He'll pluck out a pawful of food from the bowl, then eat it off his paw. Everyone seems to think he's picked it up watching me (because obviously as a human I eat sandwiches and whatnot with my hand).

They do learn some behavior from the humans that raise them, but I'm not sure if paw eating is one of them. Lots of animals use their paws to eat. But really out of place behavior with respect to wild cats, such as communication through vocalizing, is definitely learned behavior. It's really apparent if you've ever been in a house where a cat is sort of just another piece of furniture that wanders the house and needs to be fed versus people that actually talk to and handle their cats a lot.

Then again, some cats just are born loudmouths like a Siamese.

I'm not sure about seeing us humans are hairless mother cats, either. I have a feeling cats are generally smart enough to know we're not cats, even when they're kittens. I think, at best, we're seen as fellow cats in some way. Not a parent, either.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 19, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Jigsaw puzzle of the kittens: http://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=18284e6ce4f8

And a pic:

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 20, 2013

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Everyone watch they're all piling right in front of the camera :3:

Oh gently caress so much fuzzy

Then Ripley went to take a dump and they all sneaked up to watch.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Newt is just too loving cute. It's crazy.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Room is being expanded sometime in the next 2 days! More room for more zoomies!

And pics:

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 22, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Newt being too adorable part X:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
This bunch is growing fast! I can't wait till the room get's enlarged.

Purrfect Pals is in 3rd place for the prize money. I'm kinda up in the air about who I want to win. I like the one in first place too, Friends of Felines Rescue Center, who is also in the OP. I've been voting PP though. I watch them the most.

Edit:

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 23, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Initially I thought there was no way this batch could be as adorable as the Spice Kittens, but man... Newt, Dallas and Parker are putting up a hell of a show. Ash is pretty adorable too, she's so big it's easy to forget she's just a little kitten as well. If one of them learns to groom John I'll probably die on the spot :3:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Initially I thought there was no way this batch could be as adorable as the Spice Kittens, but man... Newt, Dallas and Parker are putting up a hell of a show. Ash is pretty adorable too, she's so big it's easy to forget she's just a little kitten as well. If one of them learns to groom John I'll probably die on the spot :3:

We live in the future, cute kittens 24/7. :)

I don't know if these are groomer/baffing kittens. They are more pick things up with their paw kittens.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SpannerX posted:

We live in the future, cute kittens 24/7. :)

It really is great. My second monitor USED to be for reference material, documentation and APIs. Now it's for kittens and I'm thinking of getting a third screen so I can work properly again.

quote:

I don't know if these are groomer/baffing kittens. They are more pick things up with their paw kittens.

Good thing too, because I don't want to die. Also if they start picking John up, that'll work too.

One of my favourite thing about this batch is how they're all so aware of the camera and will constantly walk right up to it to sniff and look. Screenful of cat nose!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

It really is great. My second monitor USED to be for reference material, documentation and APIs. Now it's for kittens and I'm thinking of getting a third screen so I can work properly again.

Good thing too, because I don't want to die. Also if they start picking John up, that'll work too.

One of my favourite thing about this batch is how they're all so aware of the camera and will constantly walk right up to it to sniff and look. Screenful of cat nose!

Their room has been Embiginated:

Fish tent ahoy!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, the kittens seem to love their new room.

Also the fishbed has been in constant use. Right now it's housing both Dallas and Ash :v:

Also I like that the camera is still at kitten eye level so we get plenty of sniffing and closeup action.

EDIT: Dallas? Or Parker? Can't tell them apart at this distance.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 24, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, the kittens seem to love their new room.

Also the fishbed has been in constant use. Right now it's housing both Dallas and Ash :v:

Also I like that the camera is still at kitten eye level so we get plenty of sniffing and closeup action.

EDIT: Dallas? Or Parker? Can't tell them apart at this distance.

Dallas, all brown nose, not half white.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Ugh, I want to steal Ash and keep her forever and ever. Such a pretty kitty! This cam has totally cheered me up on a gloomy night.. so much cuteness.

edit:
:catstare:

Crunch Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 25, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Good news: Looks like the last 3 kittens from the Kittencam are going to be adopted. Merc is already spoken for, and someone is applying to have both the black kittens , Othello and Sampson.

The Edit:

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 26, 2013

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Parker is becoming quite the escape artist!

The GIANT HAND restores balance to the kittehverse.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wow, that's impressive. I don't know if that is early or not, but he's quite the climber.

I guess they are going to the vet soon for a check up. We'll finally find out if Ashquach is a boy or a girl.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SpannerX posted:

Wow, that's impressive. I don't know if that is early or not, but he's quite the climber.

He made it up out of the playpen about an hour after they were let out of the first cage, if I recall, and they had to redo the top to stop him getting out there. This bit's trickier since it's smoother, but it looks like he's gonna be a problem child.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

/\/\/\/\/\/\LOOK AT THAT!/\/\/\/\/\/\

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The cutest thing on today's stream. John tries to have Ash "Godzilla" a bendy plastic straw (stand up on her hind legs and swat at it) which causes Ash to fall over and land on top of Parker. Parker then in turn very lazily starts flailing around at the air while rolling over and going back to sleep.

Trying to find the exact spot on the backlog but it's during the weigh in, so in the first half hour. Want to put it up on YouTube :3:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

MikeJF posted:

He made it up out of the playpen about an hour after they were let out of the first cage, if I recall, and they had to redo the top to stop him getting out there. This bit's trickier since it's smoother, but it looks like he's gonna be a problem child.

John sprayed the fence with some bitter apple smelling kitten repellent, looks like that is working for now.

It seems like Newts tummy doesn't like the wet food they've been given, just like Ripley. He threw up at least twice yesterday. Otherwise he should be ok and they go visit the vet on thursday.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Metanaut posted:

John sprayed the fence with some bitter apple smelling kitten repellent, looks like that is working for now.

Yeah, no, was just watching in time for Parker to vanish up over the camera and crash down on the other side of the fence.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:swoon:

Also, John is multitasking. Dallas is getting extra formula because he hasn't been gaining weight, and every other kitten wants some too.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
The video of Newt and the zoomies down the page is awesome!

That is just too cute! Is it just me or does that he have way too many whiskers? :D

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SpannerX posted:

That is just too cute! Is it just me or does that he have way too many whiskers? :D

No such thing!

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.
I love things like this, mostly because I'm a renter with a landlord who doesn't care for pets.

Plus, you don't have to feed them.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
gently caress a kitten.
Grey Seal pups.
Sometimes you get to see rad seal fights.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Very Strange Things posted:

gently caress a kitten.
Grey Seal pups.
Sometimes you get to see rad seal fights.

Okay, I'll add that in :).

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

SpannerX posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\LOOK AT THAT!/\/\/\/\/\/\

Ash supremacy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rewind to the beginning of today's stream. Around the 10 minute mark John starts introducing the kittens to getting their fur brushed and they all loooove it. Newt goes nuts when John brushes her.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kittenpile3.jpg

It's crazy how cute these kittens are.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Interview with John

Rabidbunny
Feb 7, 2003
And the verdict is in...

Ash is a boy.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience
I'm bummed. I like Ash better as a girl.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Rabidbunny posted:

And the verdict is in...

Ash is a boy.

And the chatters are going nuts. It's funny to watch.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pheeets posted:

And the chatters are going nuts. It's funny to watch.

I actually like that chat. It is funny, and lively, there's always someone on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

SpannerX posted:

I actually like that chat. It is funny, and lively, there's always someone on there.

Yes, it can be hilarious sometimes. Crazy cat ladies...

• Locked thread