Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Policenaut posted:

PlayStation Home's probably just continuing onto Orbis as BigFest, which really excites me for 2 reasons: 1) maybe they won't gently caress it up so badly this time, and 2) hopefully a ton of Home poo poo isn't compatible so I can watch the literal children who argue about Home content scream about entitlement. They flipped their poo poo when Sony announced PS+ exclusive features, and by God do I want to see them freak the gently caress out over a whole new platform.

I think PlayStation Home missed a big opportunity by going with generic human avatars rather than using Sackboy. I mean Nintendo has Miis, Microsoft has Mii-like Avatars that continue the cute family-friendly aesthetic, and then Sony just went with boring and generic models for Home rather than utilizing Sackboy as a mascot and working his charm into Home and the PS interface in general.

It just seems like a big waste really since I think that Home would be a lot more charming if they jazzed-up the whole thing to make it LBP styled. They could even have the cross promotion then of stuff you bought in the game or in Home would be cross compatible which might encourage people to buy more (say an outfit that works on your Sackboy in Home, LBP and LBP Karting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

MUFFlNS posted:

This video was just posted on the Sony PlayStation YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g82C4Nu_Jq8

Something important is happening on February 20th.

Hey Sony, do whatever you want with the PS4, but if you won't let me bring with me all of my digital titles that I bought from your so precious PSN, I'm out. :mad:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I won't be completely out if they don't do that but it'd be nice to bring my games over. I'd buy a system at launch even if I just play my psx psn games on it for a while!
Ship it with a fully functional psn and let it ship with an awesome library and you will do good!

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Krad posted:

Hey Sony, do whatever you want with the PS4, but if you won't let me bring with me all of my digital titles that I bought from your so precious PSN, I'm out. :mad:

I'm not usually an early adopter anyway but if they don't let me bring my PSN games I will have no problem waiting until a year after release at the soonest and just keep playing my PS3 because I have a ton of PSN games for it. Also I'm wondering how its going to work with PS+ since I have a ton of backlogged PS3 games.

Ineffiable posted:

I won't be completely out if they don't do that but it'd be nice to bring my games over. I'd buy a system at launch even if I just play my psx psn games on it for a while!
Ship it with a fully functional psn and let it ship with an awesome library and you will do good!

This, if I can play my PSN games especially my Plus backlog I'll think very hard to being in day one.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Unless they're sticking a Cell in the new console, which would definitely drive up the price, don't expect it to play current PSN games out of the box. The rumored architecture for the new console is totally different so just straight up emulating that stuff would be tough.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I've already discovered the merit (and savings) of PC gaming this year, so I'll opt to just build a PC instead of buy the next big thing from Sony or Microsoft, but I agree that Sony can definitely suck the big one if your PSN purchases dissapear, especially after all this Vita-PS3 crossover stuff they're pushing with the store.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I keep having this recurring nightmare of PS4 being like Wii U with two models at release: a $300 basic and a $400 deluxe with PS3 backwards compatibility. Maybe it's a terrifying omen of things yet to come, or maybe I'm on to Sony's crooked game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I still support the idea of a [probably ludicrously expensive] PS3 hardware compatibility addon card or something if "simpler" BC isn't possible. I'd buy it without a second thought. My slimmies have been stable and healthy but god help me if they die, I worry about this every day. It'll take me ages to plow through my backlog of PS3 titles, and I want there to still be a viable option to play the games if they both crap out at some point down the road. :ohdear:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

It'll take me ages to plow through my backlog of PS3 titles, and I want there to still be a viable option to play the games if they both crap out at some point down the road. :ohdear:

Given that they only just stopped manufacturing new PS2s, and there are probably millions of them still unused and sealed in warehouses still, you're probably good. By the time it's hard to find a fresh PS3, emulation will likely have caught up, too.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Crowbear posted:

Unless they're sticking a Cell in the new console, which would definitely drive up the price, don't expect it to play current PSN games out of the box. The rumored architecture for the new console is totally different so just straight up emulating that stuff would be tough.

Yeah I know its going to be hard to make it compatible but I have about 30 games in my backlog from Plus and almost certainly more to come until they release a new console. Its going to be real hard to buy into a new system if none of them will work.

They have to know that people have this concern and it would probably be in their best interest to find a solution.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 1, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

No lie. If they made a limited edition anthology ps4 that has hardware for ps1, ps2, ps,3 and ps4 games, I would buy that so loving fast.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Policenaut posted:

I keep having this recurring nightmare of PS4 being like Wii U with two models at release: a $300 basic and a $400 deluxe with PS3 backwards compatibility. Maybe it's a terrifying omen of things yet to come, or maybe I'm on to Sony's crooked game.

I... I would cave in and just buy it then. :negative:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dominic White posted:

Given that they only just stopped manufacturing new PS2s, and there are probably millions of them still unused and sealed in warehouses still, you're probably good. By the time it's hard to find a fresh PS3, emulation will likely have caught up, too.

True, true.

I can't imagine PS3 emulation, but then again, SNES emulation blew my mind back in the day too.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
No gimmicky controller please Sony.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Well I think that given the explosion of digital distribution, backwards compatibility is more important than ever and not something that Sony can overlook unless they want to anger a tremendous chunk of their consumer base. I mean imagine if Apple released a new iPhone and nobodies iTune purchases (apps/music/whatever) worked on the new device, everybody would flock to competitors or simply not buy it. I think that it's key to ensure that new hardware supports previous digital content that customers have purchased.

On the other hand though, we see that Nintendo have given the finger to people who purchased games through the Nintendo Shop on the Wii and for the most part people don't seem terribly fussed (which is actually pretty depressing when you think about it) so who knows what Sony could get away with.

I do think though that there should be an option for backwards compatibility at launch, and if they want to release two different consoles to cater to people who do and do not want that feature, then why not? Everybody will be happy. Those who don't care can save some cash by opting for the cheaper console without it, while those that find it important can splash out on the more expensive console that provides backwards compatibility.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Code Jockey posted:

True, true.

I can't imagine PS3 emulation, but then again, SNES emulation blew my mind back in the day too.

Sure, hacky as poo poo SNES emulation was viable (and mostly worked) within the Super NES's lifetime, but cycle-accurate SNES emulation also came of age just this decade. An entire generation (not console generation, people generation) after the Super NES launched. (On a side note: I remember having a first-edition Super Nintendo. I feel really old right now.)

And the PS3 is about as insane an architecture and has more going on, even before OS-level licensing Hell and the fact that there's a lot more that can go wrong when you're dealing with the amount of code - let alone assets - that PS3 titles use compared to the SNES. Given that Moore's Law (re: silicon) is running up against thermodynamics, quantum tunneling, and even weirder atomic-level physical processes, and that whoever said you needed roughly 5x the processing power to emulate another platform vastly underestimated the number (it's closer to 100x, approaching from the far side), I would only be mildly surprised if emulating it never happened on electronic processors, and wouldn't really be surprised if it didn't happen at all until we're too far removed from it to care.

I'd hope that Sony had the presence of forethought to recompile PSN games for [whatever we're calling the PS3's successor] where possible, though.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 1, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

MUFFlNS posted:

On the other hand though, we see that Nintendo have given the finger to people who purchased games through the Nintendo Shop on the Wii and for the most part people don't seem terribly fussed (which is actually pretty depressing when you think about it) so who knows what Sony could get away with

Maybe they're not mad because no one bothered to purchase a Wii U in the first place. :shobon:

revolther
May 27, 2008
The PS3 is a strange architecture sure, but so was the PS2 and we were fed a total stream of bullshit about backwards compatibility, when it's now come out that all PS3's have the muscle for it and the PS2 BC process is basically automated.

If the next console can't play everything we've purchased from the PSN it will be the last Playstation. A mediocre console generation and mobile chipsets will have more than caught up; for under 300 dollars we will have a combined console, controller, and HD screen capable of wirelessly beaming your game to any display or being dropped in your pocket.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm excited at the prospect of the Playstation 4 being announced. I was really surprised when I opened up the blog to see that message earlier. Pretty cool. I do really hope that it's going to have backwards compatibility though... I hate having tons of consoles hooked up to one TV because it makes my room look like some sort of Frankenstein's Monster.

Even more than all of that though, I do not want them to get rid of the DualShock design. I hear they plan to ditch it now, and I hate the thought. The DualShock is the only other controller my hands have felt comfortable with since the N64's claw design. Don't take this away from me, Sony. :ohdear:

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

revolther posted:

The PS3 is a strange architecture sure, but so was the PS2 and we were fed a total stream of bullshit about backwards compatibility, when it's now come out that all PS3's have the muscle for it and the PS2 BC process is basically automated.

Uh, no, it's not bullshit in the least. The PS2's fill rate is quite a bit beyond what the PS3 can do, which is why some of the PS2s guts were used to ensure backwards compatibility. No amount of emulation could overcome raw hardware bottlenecks, which is why you never saw a complete software solution. There are many games that were coded to the metal that will never be playable via emulation, some of which have been re-released in HD collections.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I'm pretty resigned to no backwards compatibility. I don't want it in my system, I get why people would want it but I buy a new console to play new console games.

Around these parts you get about $3 for trading in a console towards a new one, so I'll keep my ps3 for if there are any further games that come out.

However if they magically pull out a PSN is backwards compatible in the announcement, I wouldn't be too upset.

I could easily see some of the cross platform PSN/XBLA games being easily ported across.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

I'm pretty resigned to no backwards compatibility. I don't want it in my system, I get why people would want it but I buy a new console to play new console games.

Around these parts you get about $3 for trading in a console towards a new one, so I'll keep my ps3 for if there are any further games that come out.

However if they magically pull out a PSN is backwards compatible in the announcement, I wouldn't be too upset.

I could easily see some of the cross platform PSN/XBLA games being easily ported across.

Because eventually PS3s will stop being made and I'd like to retain the ability to play my PS3 games. Especially digitally owned ones where it isn't a case where I can just hold onto the discs. It is not a situation where it is excusable to no longer have backward compatability because they want to have a digital platform. If they can't figure it out then it's going to make it really hard to have confidence in a digital distribution platform compared to, say, Steam.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 1, 2013

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Puddin posted:

Wow, $3 huh?

Most people I know sell their old consoles to fund the purchase of new ones. I think right now the average sale price on eBay for a PS3 and a few games is about £140, which would be a sizable chunk out of the cost of a PS4. Would people be so eager to buy a new console if they couldn't subsidize the cost with the sale of older hardware? I don't think so, personally.

There's also taking into account that the software library during the first year of a console's lifespan is always barren, something that's not as much of an issue if you can still enjoy your old games or try out older releases that you missed out on while waiting for new games to release.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

Wow, $3 huh?

Most people I know sell their old consoles to fund the purchase of new ones. I think right now the average sale price on eBay for a PS3 and a few games is about £140, which would be a sizable chunk out of the cost of a PS4. Would people be so eager to buy a new console if they couldn't subsidize the cost with the sale of older hardware? I don't think so, personally.

There's also taking into account that the software library during the first year of a console's lifespan is always barren, something that's not as much of an issue if you can still enjoy your old games or try out older releases that you missed out on while waiting for new games to release.

Alternately you could just not buy consoles at launch and wait until there are actually games that you want to play on them. With the added benefits of price cuts and hardware revisions. :shrug:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Never buy launch hardware, never preorder a video game, never make blind purchases.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Never buy launch hardware.

Launch PS3's are the only backwards-compatible ones :colbert:.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have a PC that runs PCSX2. How much better do PS2 games look on PS3 with HDMI versus PS2 with component cables, anyway?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Never buy launch hardware, never preorder a video game, never make blind purchases.

Just stop buying.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think the only company to be wary of buying hardware from at launch is Microsoft, since Sony and Nintendo have had pretty reliable hardware throughout the years.

One thing I'm curious of is if any publishers will release some upgraded ports for the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft, like we saw with the launch of the Xbox 360 getting some upscaled games from the last console generation. With GTA 5 being pushed back to September for example, I'm curious to see if they'll release a port for the next PlayStation/Xbox a couple months later that runs 1080p/60fps or something. I imagine the inevitable Modern Warfare 4 will be ported to everything.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Launch PS3's are the only backwards-compatible ones :colbert:.
Overpriced, noisy, get really hot, guzzle power like a motherfucker.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wall Street Journal confirms Feb 20th event to be the Orbis announcement

MUFFlNS posted:

One thing I'm curious of is if any publishers will release some upgraded ports for the new consoles from Sony and Microsoft, like we saw with the launch of the Xbox 360 getting some upscaled games from the last console generation. With GTA 5 being pushed back to September for example, I'm curious to see if they'll release a port for the next PlayStation/Xbox a couple months later that runs 1080p/60fps or something. I imagine the inevitable Modern Warfare 4 will be ported to everything.

This idea is already happening

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury

MUFFlNS posted:

I think the only company to be wary of buying hardware from at launch is Microsoft, since Sony and Nintendo have had pretty reliable hardware throughout the years.

Pretty sure the original launch PSX had some minor hardware issues and I know for a fact that many PS2s required some user maintenance to keep it running correctly. Adjusting the laser or something like that. I remember following a walkthrough 10 plus years ago to fix my PS2.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

But even Microsoft showed a willingness to make it right with that extended warranty.

I expect to see a lot of ported PC versions to 'gen4' systems, a benefit of everyone making good PC versions of their games now days so we won't have to deal with lovely upscaled versions of games that still belong on the PS3 or 360.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

ImpAtom posted:

Because eventually PS3s will stop being made and I'd like to retain the ability to play my PS3 games. Especially digitally owned ones where it isn't a case where I can just hold onto the discs. It is not a situation where it is excusable to no longer have backward compatability because they want to have a digital platform. If they can't figure it out then it's going to make it really hard to have confidence in a digital distribution platform compared to, say, Steam.

True, but just look at the ps2. If Sony has a plan to keep the ps3 around like that, the ps3 will stop being produced the year that the ps5 I'd announced.

Anyway my previous post wasn't an attack, mearly posting my opinion on the whole BC issue.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Well, so much for Warhawk! I loved this game when I played it a few years ago and considered myself pretty okay but it's a completely different beast now. The only people playing it now are INSANELY good in ways that make it completely unfun. Granted, I still haven't re-acclimated to the controls but I just don't see myself squeezing much out of this. Just the way people are flying Warhawks now is so fast, skillful and precise.

I had a feeling this was going to happen but I didn't want it to be so. I miss Warhawk :(. Maybe I'll fare better with Starhawk.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

El Hefe posted:

No gimmicky controller please Sony.

A controller where, instead of your hands, you use your rear end to handle. Also Biometrics. I would use the rear end controller for all of my future PS4 games if it existed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This is generally always the way to go. I care about the games most but I doubt there will be any of that at the 20th.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm definitelty going to be able to resist buying the launch PS4 unless a) I'm filthy rich (like I was when the PS3 came out, relative to now anyway), or b) it does something amazing to PS3 games and makes them ten times more awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm definitelty going to be able to resist buying the launch PS4 unless a) I'm filthy rich (like I was when the PS3 came out, relative to now anyway), or b) it does something amazing to PS3 games and makes them ten times more awesome.

The new "Kazuma Kiryu" filter which replaces the protagonist of any PS3 game with Kiryu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

ImpAtom posted:

The new "Kazuma Kiryu" filter which replaces the protagonist of any PS3 game with Kiryu!

Welp time to play through NIER and Red Faction Guerrilla again.

(And Journey and Super Rub-a-Dub)

• Locked thread