Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

photomikey posted:

My lexus has "real" leather seats and has heated/cooled seats, and frankly, I'd make the same move again.

Are cooled seats a thing? I've never heard of such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

photomikey posted:

I bought a 2010 Lexus HS 250h this weekend - paid $25k, has 25k miles on it. I should have probably come here first, but since I didn't - go ahead and tell me how bad I did.

If you're happy who cares? Everyone here has different opinions. If you like it and felt like you got a good deal, just be happy with your car.

BoyBlunder posted:

Are cooled seats a thing? I've never heard of such a thing.

Starting to be yes. Last 3 or 4 years or so. Many upper trim models of vehicles have them these days. I test drove a car that had them, nothing like air conditioned balls on a hot summer day in Texas.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

IRQ posted:

Automatic though? The shitlord boss at the dealership tried to sell me a new 2012 Mazda 3 for less than 20k (before all the other costs) but it was a manual. I can't drive stick so it was a no-go.

2012 Mazda3i Touring Auto.

The deals were definitely out there during the model year-end period. But from my experience the variation between dealers for a 3 was immense--like $4,000 between the lowest and highest price for the same model--so it might be worth shopping around if that's the car you want.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

Sypher posted:

Proposed Budget: $5000 - $8000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Compact to Midsize. Hatchback/coupe/sedan doesn't bother me.
How will you be using the car?: Just a standard commuter car. Work is about 30 miles round trip. I would say I put a total of 800-900 miles on per month.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is the biggest factor. MPG is important as well, but i'm assuming most compact to midsize get decent mpg. I typically like import designs better. Especially from the mid '90s to mid '00s. Manual transmission is a must. As is front wheel drive due to winters here in Michigan.

I currently have a 1995 Toyota Celica(140k miles). Rust is starting to become a problem and maintenance cost is becoming a burden. I paid $2000 for it and I have put about $1500 into it. It runs great but aesthetically, I am starting to get quite frustrated with it. On top of the rust, I was recently a victim of a hit and run in a parking lot. Leaving a huge dent on the passenger side. It definitely isn't worth getting it fixed cosmetically.

Leaders right now via auto trader are a 2003 Toyota Celica GT($5850) and a 2005 Honda Accord EX ($7837). I have heard conflicting reports on reliability on both cars via google search, though.

Just test drove the Honda Accord. It seemed to drive pretty well. Any input on this vehicle? The only thing I noticed was a bit of a rattle on the passenger side that came and went while driving.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Weinertron posted:

Enjoy your car, but the Lexus badge is about all that the HS 250h has going for it. People do like the Lexus badge, so time may show that you made a very good decision when you sell it to a bigger idiot in 7 years for $10k.
If this vehicle is worth $10k in 7 years, I will be thrilled. $179/mo doesn't seem like a bad cost of ownership, for a Lexus with all the options.

skipdogg posted:

Many upper trim models of vehicles have them these days. I test drove a car that had them, nothing like air conditioned balls on a hot summer day in Texas.
When I first heard of seat heaters, I made fun of the concept. Got a car with seat heaters a few years back, and WOW, what an option. Saw the cooled seats and jumped right for it - it is just as awesome.

edit:
Wow, prices for a 10 year old Lexus are around $10k. Not bad!

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
Proposed Budget: ~$20,000
Body Style: Coupe or Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver with some track fun.
What aspects are most important to you?: Good handling, a decent amount of power, and RWD preferred. Not having horrible repair costs is a secondary concern.

The number one car on my list right now is the Pontiac G8 GT, with some other cars I've looked at include the BMW 335i and 135i, and various American muscle (Charger, Mustang, etc).

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Goons, your assistance please

Proposed Budget: $24,000 hard limit.
New or Used: New
Body Style: Hatchback compact, 2 or 4 door. Very small is not a deal breaker.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver for my wife Plan to keep it for at least 5 years, provided hail doesn't take it out
What aspects are most important to you? Fuel economy, reliability, fuel economy, style(Mostly in the form of loud colors from factory). Also, Bluetooth and a moon roof are pretty high up on the priority list, though not essential. She does want an automatic due to the stop and go traffic.

Right now, the top of my wife's list is the Prius C, the Ford Fiesta and the Mini Cooper. None have been test driven yet.

Citizen Z fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 31, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
MINIs are made in Britain and are horrifically unreliable. Unless you specifically want a tiny FWD car and you hate torsion bar rear suspension and *must* have IRS instead I'm not seeing what the point of it is.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Throatwarbler posted:

MINIs are made in Britain and are horrifically unreliable. Unless you specifically want a tiny FWD car and you hate torsion bar rear suspension and *must* have IRS instead I'm not seeing what the point of it is.

She loves the way they look. That's mostly the appeal.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Then I think you should just buy it. If she loves the looks that's good enough for me, and it's a new car with a warranty anyway so who cares about reliability.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

It's not a done deal, yet. The MINI lacks some things she wants, but she does like the look.

The Prius C might not make it's ROI back for a while, but we're liberal tree hugging commies, so the hybrid thing appeals. The Fiesta just looks good on paper.

I suppose more than anything, I'm wondering if there's anything in that segment that we should make sure to take a look at.

Citizen Z fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 31, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Prius C would be the top of my list. I've seen one in the Habanero color and it's pretty sharp. Should be able to get out the door for 24K nicely equipped.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Based on your criteria, the Prius C is the way to go and it's a pretty solid drive by all accounts.

Fiat 500's worth a look if you're in to colors and such.

Edit: saw she wants auto. I wouldn't wish an automatic 500 on my worst enemy.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I have heard only good things about the Ford Focus, and the 2014 model will have even more gadgets than the current model. That being said, it doesn't have nearly as much space as I personally would like, so if internal volume is a factor you might want to look somewhere else. It seems that's not a big problem for you, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

skipdogg posted:

Starting to be yes. Last 3 or 4 years or so. Many upper trim models of vehicles have them these days. I test drove a car that had them, nothing like air conditioned balls on a hot summer day in Texas.

Older than that. They had cooled seats on the 2004 Infiniti M45. Probably longer in the s class.

Sole Survivor posted:

What aspects are most important to you?: Good handling, a decent amount of power, and RWD preferred. Not having horrible repair costs is a secondary concern.

The number one car on my list right now is the Pontiac G8 GT, with some other cars I've looked at include the BMW 335i and 135i, and various American muscle (Charger, Mustang, etc).
As someone who tracks what is considered to be a heavy track car (3355lbs), think about consumables. Brakes and tires will not just not last as long, they will need to be bigger and more expensive.
Maybe a mustang. They are heavy for track cars, but a lot lighter than anything else you're considering.

DAMN IT
Apr 29, 2008

Considering getting a new car this year and could use suggestions.

Proposed Budget: $20k. Probably $25k hard limit if I found something amazing.
New or Used: Used (certified pre-owned?)
Body Style: Compact/crossover SUV
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. Usually driving alone. 50/50 highway/city driving. Fair amount of lovely winter driving (Northeast USA).
What aspects are most important to you? Most important: AWD. Automatic. 30+ MPG highway. Reliability. Some power. Not physically huge. Low miles. Less important: Doesn't look like a mini-van or station wagon. Has cool gadgets like dual-zone climate control and a space shuttle center console screen. Decent cargo space.

My number one requirement is AWD for winter driving. This pretty much limits me to crossover SUVs, it seems. I would consider an AWD sedan if I could find one for a good price. I've mainly been looking at the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

drat IT posted:

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. Usually driving alone. 50/50 highway/city driving. Fair amount of lovely winter driving (Northeast USA).
What aspects are most important to you? Most important: AWD. Automatic. 30+ MPG highway. Reliability. Some power. Not physically huge. Low miles. Less important: Doesn't look like a mini-van or station wagon. Has cool gadgets like dual-zone climate control and a space shuttle center console screen. Decent cargo space.

My number one requirement is AWD for winter driving. This pretty much limits me to crossover SUVs, it seems. I would consider an AWD sedan if I could find one for a good price. I've mainly been looking at the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5.

For that price you could probably pick up something new. Looks to me like you're begging for a Subaru Forester. See if you can't wait a year or so and get the new one; its automatic transmission will be the same CVT that other Subarus have now, which is reputedly decent - the current four-speed is ancient. Barring that, the Impreza is cheaper, has the CVT and gets better than 30mpg highway, but less cargo space and ground clearance. Every Subaru except the BRZ has AWD, in case you were wondering.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Friar Zucchini posted:

For that price you could probably pick up something new. Looks to me like you're begging for a Subaru Forester. See if you can't wait a year or so and get the new one; its automatic transmission will be the same CVT that other Subarus have now, which is reputedly decent - the current four-speed is ancient. Barring that, the Impreza is cheaper, has the CVT and gets better than 30mpg highway, but less cargo space and ground clearance. Every Subaru except the BRZ has AWD, in case you were wondering.

I test drove an XV Crosstrek and really liked it, as well. Same cargo space and MPG as the Imprezza, but more ground clearance. It's SUVish, but smaller than the forrester. $21k-ish for the lower trim level, which is the middle trim level from Europe.

Super Lube
Oct 24, 2010
Proposed Budget:20,000 - 22000
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 2 Door, maybe a 4 door depending on model.
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Mostly commuting to and from work 1/2hr each way right now, but could change to nearly nothing.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Would at least like to have bluetooth.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Looking for a sportyish DD, but something I'm not always working on.

I currently drive a '02 Celica, and I am looking to get something bigger but would like to try and stay with a 2door. I have considered a 07+ legacy GT, Acura TL or more recently a V6 accord coupe. The accord is pretty much last on the list due to being the most boring, but should be the most reliable. It is also the easiest to find. Reliability is key for the most part, I am looking for something I can have for awhile and maybe buy a fun car down the road if I get a better paying job. Looking for suggestions as well, just in case I missed something out there.

Edit: Forgot to add, looking for at least 250hp depending on weight of the car.

Super Lube fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 1, 2013

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Agronox posted:

2012 Mazda3i Touring Auto.

The deals were definitely out there during the model year-end period. But from my experience the variation between dealers for a 3 was immense--like $4,000 between the lowest and highest price for the same model--so it might be worth shopping around if that's the car you want.

I'm looking for a manual myself, but what do you think of the car? I know it's what I'm getting, I'm just looking for the right price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat IT posted:

I don't really want to pass judgement on your driving or whatever, but I grew up in gently caress nowhere Northern New England where it snows about 140" a year and we drove to school uphill both ways in our lovely 2WD Ford Rangers.

Unless you have a driveway that looks like the north face of the Eiger, I'd suggest a 2WD sedan of some kind (basically take your pick of the billions of good compact sedans being made today) and a few bucks for snow tires. Your car will drive better in the summer, better in the winter, you'll save money, and you'll get better gas mileage. You will also be able to avoid compact SUVs as I believe that the only small AWD sedan currently being manufactured is the Subaru Impreza, which kind of has a face for radio.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Super Lube posted:

Proposed Budget:20,000 - 22000
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 2 Door, maybe a 4 door depending on model.
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Mostly commuting to and from work 1/2hr each way right now, but could change to nearly nothing.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Would at least like to have bluetooth.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) Looking for a sportyish DD, but something I'm not always working on.

I currently drive a '02 Celica, and I am looking to get something bigger but would like to try and stay with a 2door. I have considered a 07+ legacy GT, Acura TL or more recently a V6 accord coupe. The accord is pretty much last on the list due to being the most boring, but should be the most reliable. It is also the easiest to find. Reliability is key for the most part, I am looking for something I can have for awhile and maybe buy a fun car down the road if I get a better paying job. Looking for suggestions as well, just in case I missed something out there.

Edit: Forgot to add, looking for at least 250hp depending on weight of the car.

There is nothing wrong with the LGT or the TL. I'd throw in the G35. If you don't care about AWD/RWD, which it sounds like you don't, you're in gently used/maybe new hot hatch territory.

There's always the used 3-series option. The E46 is reliable outside of a couple of known issues.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sole Survivor posted:

C5 Z06. You might be able to snag a C6 for 20k.

DAMN IT
Apr 29, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't really want to pass judgement on your driving or whatever, but I grew up in gently caress nowhere Northern New England where it snows about 140" a year and we drove to school uphill both ways in our lovely 2WD Ford Rangers.

Unless you have a driveway that looks like the north face of the Eiger, I'd suggest a 2WD sedan of some kind (basically take your pick of the billions of good compact sedans being made today) and a few bucks for snow tires. Your car will drive better in the summer, better in the winter, you'll save money, and you'll get better gas mileage. You will also be able to avoid compact SUVs as I believe that the only small AWD sedan currently being manufactured is the Subaru Impreza, which kind of has a face for radio.

Point taken. Maybe I am overestimating the benefit of AWD. For the past 7 years I've been driving a Civic with lovely tires, and I'm fondly looking back to the performance of my old 4WD Grand Cherokee.

DAMN IT fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 1, 2013

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You will also be able to avoid compact SUVs as I believe that the only small AWD sedan currently being manufactured is the Subaru Impreza, which kind of has a face for radio.

Suzuki is still selling off their stock. If you're willing to gamble on long-term parts availability, you can save a few grand over an Impreza.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You will also be able to avoid compact SUVs as I believe that the only small AWD sedan currently being manufactured is the Subaru Impreza, which kind of has a face for radio.

Jesus Christ Mitsubishi get it together with the marketing. :negative:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Throatwarbler posted:

Jesus Christ Mitsubishi get it together with the marketing. :negative:

Buying a new Mitsu Lancer is like throwing money down a hole.
Speaking of throwing money down a hole, Suzuki Kasashi comes in AWD and you can pick up remaining stock for pennies on the dollar. The warranty is supposedly going to be honored and Suzuki is reasonably successful in other parts of the world, so you can probably get parts from Mexico and Canada for a while.
I have an acquaintance who is a Suzuki service writer (he also handles other brands but he's the one suzuki guy) and says unlike pretty much everything else that company made, it is pretty solid (the SX4 doesn't suck either). It also looks good. (Seriously, if they'd made with car with a bigger motor, a six speed, and AWD, I'd own a goddamn suzuki)
However, even at a deep discount, in 4 years the resale value will be similar to a Plymouth Neon with a failed headgasket.

That said, I actually like teh way the new Impreza hatch looks in person, though it looks much worse in photos. For $20k and AWD, hard to do better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat IT posted:

Point taken. Maybe I am overestimating the benefit of AWD. For the past 7 years I've been driving a Civic with lovely tires, and I'm fondly looking back to the performance of my old 4WD Grand Cherokee.

I've bolded the part that makes a difference.

It is always mind-blowing to me that people think that a differential, a couple half-shafts and a few sensors makes more of a difference in how their vehicle adheres to the road than the material that actually is in contact with the road.

And holy poo poo, I did not know the Lancer was AWD as an option, and I like to think that I'm way more well informed than the average consumer.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

nm posted:

Buying a new Mitsu Lancer is like throwing money down a hole.

Why's this? I only ask because it's on my list of "slightly sporty 4-door with a spoiler" that I was considering in the next year or so

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
its very possible, likely even, that Mitsu won't exist in the US market much longer. I dont know if thats what hes talking about but they've been 1 fiscal quarter away from being gone for a while now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

It is always mind-blowing to me that people think that a differential, a couple half-shafts and a few sensors makes more of a difference in how their vehicle adheres to the road than the material that actually is in contact with the road.

:spergin: Most "AWD" cars and trucks don't even have a center differential.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Why's this? I only ask because it's on my list of "slightly sporty 4-door with a spoiler" that I was considering in the next year or so

Historically they've had poor resale value, however this is probably more complex than that.

The Lancer is the second oldest compact car on the market at this point, first year was 2007, only the Corolla is older. It wasn't really a great car even back then - didn't drive well, the interior is pretty awful and the lovely CVT made the drive worse and also hurt highway fuel economy. One characteristic of older CVTs is that their range of ratios tends to be narrower than a convetional automatic and thus a box that got decent city fuel economy and acceleration tended to have poo poo highway fuel economy.

But the main problem with Mitsubishi is really that they just don't have the scale to really get into the market, much like a lot of smaller brands like SAAB or Suzuki. The car is dated as is and tends to sell with a lot incentives and also to rental fleets which hurts the residuals, but more importantly there aren't enough Mitsubishi dealers around and thus the market for used models tends to be restricted - do you really want to own one when your town doesn't have a dealer for parts and repairs?

So I think you do have to take the resale into consideration, but the flip side is that these things are always selling with incentives so you have a lower starting price. People said the same thing about GM and Ford cars in the past, yeah that Chevy Lumina has a lower resale value than a Honda Accord from the same year, but really that's only because no sane person(well, rental agency more likely) would have paid GM's MSRP for that Lumina over an Accord to begin with, so your actual depreciation probably isn't that different. Comparing resale values is a pretty difficult thing because the average consumer doesn't really have great information on actual new car transaction prices vs MSRP.

On the plus side I do think the Lancer is pretty sharp looking exterior wise, and Mitsubishi does have a 5 year 100k(?) mile B2B warranty like Hyundai/Kia, so if you do have a dealer near by it might not be such a bad deal.

TL;DR Seriously guys the Chevy Lumina really wasn't that bad

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The question to me is in how many years will having that Suzuki be about as serviceable as a Gremlin or Yugo (barring the obvious older cars aren't as complicated as newer cars exceptions).

Any recommendations for an AWD vehicle with similar power (hell, market category) as a Subaru Forester under the $10k used range < 90k miles (I've sworn off CRVs at this point given my experience a couple years ago)? I'm struggling to come up with a viable list beyond the Suzukis mentioned and Toyota RAV-4 or a 10+ yr old Lexus RX-350. I'm trying to keep a list of viable cars in the event the '04 Forester I have gives up the ghost and it's not really worth trying to repair it any more.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

The question to me is in how many years will having that Suzuki be about as serviceable as a Gremlin or Yugo (barring the obvious older cars aren't as complicated as newer cars exceptions).

Any recommendations for an AWD vehicle with similar power (hell, market category) as a Subaru Forester under the $10k used range < 90k miles (I've sworn off CRVs at this point given my experience a couple years ago)? I'm struggling to come up with a viable list beyond the Suzukis mentioned and Toyota RAV-4 or a 10+ yr old Lexus RX-350. I'm trying to keep a list of viable cars in the event the '04 Forester I have gives up the ghost and it's not really worth trying to repair it any more.

For japanese built vehicles, quite a while. They're still being built and sold for other markets. For koreans, not long past 10 years. (Suzuki USA is still selling motorcycles and will for the forseeable futur, so required by law to provide 10 years of parts).
As for the second question, a forester is the answer. Maybe a nissan murano or mazda cx whatever, but I dunno reliablity on them.
Don't buy a lexus rx unless you want to look like a 50+ year old woman.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

TL;DR Seriously guys the Chevy Lumina really wasn't that bad

dude and you make fun of me for defending the 3800

we are not that different, you and i

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute
Nissan XTerra if you want something a little tougher
Uhhh Volvo XC70?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hello thread - I am currently looking at a 1999 Honda Civic LX with 137k miles on it. I've gotten it looked at and the issues are as follows:

rack and pinion need replacing - steering fluid leaks to the tune of a bottle every week-ish
dent on right rear fender
scratch on right rear door
dent on front rear fender

lesser:

due for an oil change
due for tire rotation

I looked up the carfax report and there have been 3 minor accidents with the car, in 2000, 2005, and 2008. The car has been driven about 60,000 miles since the last of these. The aforementioned dents are the result of them.

KBB.com has this at ~2700. Does that sound right?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Proposed Budget: Sub 10k
Body Style: 4 door or 2 door that works with one car seat Compact/Midsize, prefer standard but will deal with automatic
How will you be using the car?: Driving 40 miles a day 5 days a week. Daily commuter
What aspects are most important to you? I prefer small cars, power isn't important and really want something with above 30 MPG. Haven't bought a car in a while so I think that 30 is pretty low.

I really like the mazda 3, but I don't want my aesthetics to get in the way of a good decision.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The three is an extremely common recommendation in this thread so don't feel like there's anything wrong going that route.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The last generation Mazda3 didn't get particularly good fuel economy for what it was. If you're driving a lot of highway miles and are pinching pennies try and find an "XFE" trim of the Chevy Colbalt. They weren't great cars in many respects but were reliable, cheap on the used market and got excellent fuel economy. A Civic HF, Corolla, or last gen Ford Focus will also get better fuel economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

HClChicken posted:

Proposed Budget: Sub 10k
Body Style: 4 door or 2 door that works with one car seat Compact/Midsize, prefer standard but will deal with automatic
How will you be using the car?: Driving 40 miles a day 5 days a week. Daily commuter
What aspects are most important to you? I prefer small cars, power isn't important and really want something with above 30 MPG. Haven't bought a car in a while so I think that 30 is pretty low.

I really like the mazda 3, but I don't want my aesthetics to get in the way of a good decision.

As much as I love the Mazda 3, and Mazda in general, the first generation (2003-8, the ones in your price range) didn't get especially good gas mileage. The 2.0 manual is rated 24/32 and the 2.3 manual 22/30. I mean, that's still not bad gas mileage, but for the segment its in its not very competitive. Compare to the 2012+ 3 that is rated 27/39.

It's still a fantastic car, and far and away the best handling and most fun car in its segment.

The other thing to consider is that the marginal value of each mpg as you go up the scale becomes less and less pretty quick. If you drive the average 15,000 miles per year with $4 gas, going from 15 to 20mpg saves you $1000/yr, but 30 to 35 only $285/yr. Here, because I'm bored:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 2, 2013