Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Oh good point, so was that Riviera. So you'd have to go to the post-85 Cadillacs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KozmoNaut posted:

The Toronado was longitudinal FWD, wasn't it?

Yep. Drive power made a 180-degree turn through a linked belt to the diff beside the oil pan. Eldorados used the same setup, as did Riviera's when they went FWD in the late '70s, through until about 1986 or so when the W-bodies came out. Then they were all V6s except for the Cadillac.

e,fb, sorta.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It is also the best place to get a beer in San Francisco.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Well its not nearly as impressive as some of ya'll's cars, but I just got this on Saturday and I am loving it so far.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Porkchop Express posted:

Well its not nearly as impressive as some of ya'll's cars, but I just got this on Saturday and I am loving it so far.

Reasonably priced sedan is a good investment.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Rabble posted:

I concur, it is a great little car for the money, and 10x better than my old Scion xB

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Rabble posted:

Too bad it's not a sedan.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

D C posted:

Too bad it's not a sedan.

Heh I looked at the doors and the grille...didn't even see the hatch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Porkchop Express posted:

Does it do what you need it to? Well then gently caress any haters man. Congrats on the new ride.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm pretty happy with my wife's 2008 KIA Spectra 5, which is basically the same as that Hyundai, I think. Previous generation, but very similar. Hauls kid and dog and stuff just fine. Fortunately, my wife prefers manuals and it's a 5-speed. We did have to have the transmission replaced under warranty November of last year. 1-2 synchronizer disappeared completely. At developed a leak first year of ownership, again fixed under warranty. No other major issues, and many minor ones.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

KozmoNaut posted:

Yes. With the transmission mounted under the engine to the side with a very odd chain driven setup. Have fun finding parts for a transmission that rotates backwards...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Its just a TH400 with the FWD stuff tacked on. From hearsay it seems the chain is reliable and isn't really a problem.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Billy Tully posted:

Its just a TH400 with the FWD stuff tacked on. From hearsay it seems the chain is reliable and isn't really a problem.

I have heard this as well. Except for the god awful low compression lump in the front.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Does it do what you need it to? Well then gently caress any haters man. Congrats on the new ride.

Sure does, the car is tits.

Darchangel posted:

I'm pretty happy with my wife's 2008 KIA Spectra 5, which is basically the same as that Hyundai, I think. Previous generation, but very similar. Hauls kid and dog and stuff just fine. Fortunately, my wife prefers manuals and it's a 5-speed. We did have to have the transmission replaced under warranty November of last year. 1-2 synchronizer disappeared completely. At developed a leak first year of ownership, again fixed under warranty. No other major issues, and many minor ones.

Yeah I think they are the same underneath the body, the only difference is styling. I considered the manual but opted for the automatic for convenience and because my girlfriend can't drive a manual.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

Sure does, the car is tits.

Yeah I think they are the same underneath the body, the only difference is styling. I considered the manual but opted for the automatic for convenience and because my girlfriend can't drive a manual.

Teach her to drive manual, and then she can drive almost anything! One of the reasons I married my wife was that she not only knew how to drive a standard, but *preferred* it.

Reminds me of that story about the car-jackers who couldn't steal a lady's car because they couldn't drive a manual transmission.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Reminds me of that story about the car-jackers who couldn't steal a lady's car because they couldn't drive a manual transmission.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/20757520/would-be-car-thieves-gave-up-when-they-couldnt-drive-stick-shift

That's one ugly lady.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Heh!
Remembered it wrong, I guess. Just saw the headline or something, most likely.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Babby's first picture:

At home, nice and safe:

The car was delivered midday today, I picked it up this afternoon. I asked that they keep the plastic on so that I can be the first to wash it.

It's not the second coming of Jesus in car form, but it's pretty darn good if you ask me. I will let you all know if the water dribbling off of it tomorrow turns into wine.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Teach her to drive manual, and then she can drive almost anything! One of the reasons I married my wife was that she not only knew how to drive a standard, but *preferred* it.

Its not that she doesn't know how, she physically can't. She hurt her left knee years a go and it causes her physical pain to use the clutch for more than a few minutes at a time.

Its all good though, automatics can be a tad more convenient anyways, even if they aren't as fun sometimes.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mat_Drinks posted:

Babby's first picture:

At home, nice and safe:

The car was delivered midday today, I picked it up this afternoon. I asked that they keep the plastic on so that I can be the first to wash it.

It's not the second coming of Jesus in car form, but it's pretty darn good if you ask me. I will let you all know if the water dribbling off of it tomorrow turns into wine.

I love the white, it just looks so good :allears:

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
We had a bit of snow recently.

Interior. I am a messy tramp.

And I just bought this to run around in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Xeno posted:

Best trash can a McDonalds box has ever been thrown into.

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

Xeno posted:

Hope you removed all that crap from the car for the sale photos :v:

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

Hope you removed all that crap from the car for the sale photos :v:

To be honest I'll probably end up keeping it for a few more weeks and selling it to WeBuyAnyCar.com, they'll give me what I'm after for it and it saves messing about.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I really thought I was being trolled just now. Awesome ride, and from the looks of it you drive and enjoy it. Good for you :)

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What are you going to get to replace it? Also how's the focus feel?

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Bob NewSCART posted:

What are you going to get to replace it? Also how's the focus feel?

Nothing, going to go travelling for a bit with the proceeds.

It's only a 1 litre Fiesta so has no power whatsoever but it's ridiculously economical, fun to throw around whilst trying to keep momentum, really nice inside and has a decent sound system. It also doesn't leak, creak or rattle like the Ferrari. I can live with it. Needs bigger wheels though, they look lost.

Going to sort out my photos from the Galleria Ferrari at Maranello this evening and make a thread.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Picked up another Brat, this one even has the A/C and Power Steering

epix fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 1, 2013

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

epix posted:

Picked up another Brat

T-tops AND jump seats. Awesome.

What kind of fairy land do you live in where those things have not rusted into unrecognizable piles of corrosion?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 1, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Brats are the best.

epix
Aug 7, 2004

meatpimp posted:

T-tops AND jump seats. Awesome.

What kind of fairy land do you live in where those things have not rusted into unrecognizable piles of corrosion?

Surprisingly Michigan.. the tan one in the background has been attacked by the Wicked Witch of the Midwest with her Rust curse. Replacing some body panels on it and new paint then will be selling it. The tan one just rolled 100K miles last week.

The red one was just old by an old guy that really cared about the vehicle and was fortunate enough to spend much of it's life off the nasty winter roads.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

epix posted:

Picked up another Brat, this one even has the A/C and Power Steering

Ugggnnhnhh give them to me

Seriously that red one looks pristine.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Are you legally allowed to drive around with people in the jump seats?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tbb9 posted:

Are you legally allowed to drive around with people in the jump seats?

Not in Indiana. I'm sure other states have similar laws. Here yo get a ticket for jump seat passengers. My neighbor's kid got his truck impounded for having two people riding in the bed of his pickup.

Edit: hahaha, I got red text over a 2 month old post? Nice.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I went for a drive this morning and stopped to take a couple of photos of my car

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sadnessboner posted:

I went for a drive this morning and stopped to take a couple of photos of my car

Thats not a daily occurrence? It should be.

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007
God drat thats a beautiful wagon. The red is soooo classy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

For all the hate that it seems to generate, I love my 2005 Chevy Avalanche. I can't seem to find the pictures of it covered in mud after a good day of offroading, but I do still have pics from when I was headed out to the boat ramp to go spearfishing off the coast.

(Not me in the picture)

I've done some work to it to try to increase performance without tanking my fuel economy which includes a new flowmaster super 44 muffler and I just installed a Spectre cold air intake this weekend. 17 mpg in a full sized truck with a 5.3L V8 isn't too bad imo. And the awesome exhaust note isn't a bad bonus either.

I'm running out of stuff to tinker with on it that won't drop my fuel economy though.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 2, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

Its not that she doesn't know how, she physically can't. She hurt her left knee years a go and it causes her physical pain to use the clutch for more than a few minutes at a time.

Its all good though, automatics can be a tad more convenient anyways, even if they aren't as fun sometimes.

Ah. That'll do it then.
I'm hoping my knees hold out another 20 years or so. I'd hate to give up all my manuals, and automatic RX-7s are just tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Elmnt80 posted:

For all the hate that it seems to generate

As long as you don't lift it to the skies or put MAD TYTE DUBZ on it, you'll find no hate here.