Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You will never in your entire life find a better bread for French Toast than challah which is much easier to make than it might appear to be at first.

Looks like you need grandmaster skills in knitting too tough :p But yeah, they are rather good, sesam seeds make it amazing. :>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You will never in your entire life find a better bread for French Toast than challah which is much easier to make than it might appear to be at first.

That looks quite like the recipe for butterzopf - I guess challah is the jewish version.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is true. And you don't need to bother with the braiding.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

therattle posted:

Can't you just scale up the volume of your doughs to fill it? Measure respective tin volumes using water.

Well that was my initial plan but I wasn't sure how to measure the volume. The problem is that normally a loaf overlfows a pan but with the box loaf it's contained.

I guess I could make a loaf in both pans with the recipies I use and weigh them after everything is done or cooked and scale from there.

The recipie I've been using for the new pan isn't by weight though and has stuff like milk and shortening I don't usually put in my loaves (although I guess I could weigh everything in it, but this isn't maths class!)

I've been doing what I've been doing for so long ice started to take everything for granted and I've forgotten some of the basics like hydration percentages and what ingridients do to loaves

Edit: I think all breads make good french toast the real secret is to let the bread stale up a bit so it really absorbs the french toast custard and to not use any egg whites in your custard.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Can you replace most of or all of the liquid (excluding the water you use for proofing your yeast) in your bread with another liquid (like beer) without any ill effects or would it get too beery as it ferments?

I ask because I made a beer-rye but maybe because of the beer I used not being strong enough, I didn't taste much of the beer flavor coming through the final loaf - although I still liked it more, flavor-wise, than some other breads I have made. I want to try making another beer-rye loaf, but I also want to make this bread and thought I might combine the two ideas.

I planned on halving that recipe (since this is an experiment), and incorporating a levain built from a rye mother starter that I have rather than using the "fermented white dough" that that recipe calls for (which seems to be emulating a sourdough levain anyway).

This is the recipe I plan on using, after I alter it. I was just wondering if there is anything in it that stands out as being a horrible idea that would end in catastrophe or make the bread not rise.

For the Levain:
90g Bread Flour
60 g Water
20g 100% Hydration Rye Starter - (Taking 10 grams off of both the flour and water so that I don't mess up the ratio of the final dough.)
The recipe says to leave the "fermented white dough" at room temperature for 24 hours or 48 in the fridge, I would let the levain sit out for about 12 hours or until it passes the float test.
For the Final Dough:
200g Rye Flour
60g Bread Flour
170g Levain
7g Salt - (The original "fermented starter" called for salt, but I would add it in the final dough trather than the levain.)
205g Beer
1/2tsp Caraway Seeds
1/2 tsp Espresso Powder

The directions call for mixing it 8-10 minutes, rolling it into a ball and letting it rest an hour - then folding it and letting it rest an hour twice, shaping it and letting it rise an hour and a half. I was basically going to just follow the directions of the original recipe.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 26, 2013

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Devoyniche posted:

Can you replace most of or all of the liquid (excluding the water you use for proofing your yeast) in your bread with another liquid (like beer) without any ill effects or would it get too beery as it ferments?

Yes, yes you can!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Devoyniche posted:

Yes yes! There's something called vörtbröd that's made with rye flour, beer and malt. You can get mix of malt and spices for vörtbröd here in Sweden, and it's absolutely delicious. The beer brings some hops that really works with the malt and rye.

Bake a rye loaf on beer and sweeten the dough with molasses. Add orange peel, caraway, aniseed or fennel to the dough. If it's Christmas, also put in some cloves.

For some reason American recipe sites think this is called 'limpa'. That word just means 'loaf' in Swedish.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Enter Char posted:

I've made the recipe that the Doctor posted on page 3 a good number of times, and its came out pretty well each time. It's replaced my store bought sandwich loaf, and makes a great french toast.
Just responding to say that I tried Doctor's recipe, and it's awesome. :)

Bread's a bit lop-sided though. Entirely my fault- I'm just bad at shaping the loaf. But the yielded breaded is amazing. Thanks for the recipe, Doctor.

What are the best ways to store this away while keeping it nice and fresh?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

melon cat posted:

Just responding to say that I tried Doctor's recipe, and it's awesome. :)

Bread's a bit lop-sided though. Entirely my fault- I'm just bad at shaping the loaf. But the yielded breaded is amazing. Thanks for the recipe, Doctor.

What are the best ways to store this away while keeping it nice and fresh?

Save store bought bread bags and use them for storage.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Glad everyone seems to like the recipe! I have switched my weekly bread recipe up lately, I'm not sure what to call this kind of loaf but I like it a lot, mainly because of the additional fats and protein. This is a very airy, tall loaf.

4 large eggs
2 cups warm whole milk
1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp oil or butter (optional)
1 tsp salt
8 cups whole wheat flour OR 7 cups flour and 1 cup gluten

I proof the yeast in the 1/2 cup water and brown sugar mixture. While it's waking up, I mix together the eggs, milk, salt, and oil. I add the yeast mixture to that and add 4 cups of flour, then mix until I have a batter. Once I have a batter I slowly add the last four cups of flour until I have shaggy mixture and then switch to kneading until I have a smooth dough, adding a little flour here and there as necessary. I do a one hour rise and then punch it down, shape it, and rise again for an hour. Once it's fully risen I throw it into an oven preheated to 350 for 35 minutes.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Why does my sourdough keep exploding out the side and not where its been scored :saddowns:

and yeah my oven was a bit too hot ...

crumb shot, i used about 30% rye flour, tastes real good

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 1, 2013

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

unixbeard posted:

Why does my sourdough keep exploding out the side and not where its been scored :saddowns:

and yeah my oven was a bit too hot ...

crumb shot, i used about 30% rye flour, tastes real good

Try scoring lenghtwise...

Also - you're letting your crust dry out too much in the second proofing probably - do you let them rise under a moistened towel?

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Try scoring lenghtwise...

Also - you're letting your crust dry out too much in the second proofing probably - do you let them rise under a moistened towel?

The one at the back was scored lengthwise, it baked over then blew out in the corner there, admittedly less than the first one.

Nah I've been rising them under plastic wrap with a tea towel over it, I'll try dampen it a bit and make sure they are fully covered.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

unixbeard posted:

The one at the back was scored lengthwise, it baked over then blew out in the corner there, admittedly less than the first one.

Nah I've been rising them under plastic wrap with a tea towel over it, I'll try dampen it a bit and make sure they are fully covered.

Spraying a thin layer of oil on them could help you, but does the crust dry out before you put them in..

Alternatively the heat in your oven is too dry (it dries out the crust too quickly, setting it, thereby not allowing for expansion...) - you can counter that by putting in either a sheet pan in the bottom, or a cast iron pan on the top and let that heat up with the oven. Then spraying (i use a syringe for that) hot water into the pan right after you put in the breads, quickly closing the oven door.

This will create steam, which then will moisten your breads crust and allow for more expansion, and is my preferred method when I am baking at high temperatures (280*c).

You can repeat the steaming after the first 5 minutes in the oven, I cannot really determine if it has a discernible effect on the bread, but it may be worth the try.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Let them proof longer too. Usually when it splits it's because it hasn't fully risen.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hmm I wonder if there is a difference between yeast in Germany and the US.

I am trying the King Arthur Flour heart-bred recipe right now, however, I think proofing went wrong.
Instead of a pack of dry yeast I used half a cube of fresh yeast. Apparently that's about the same.

After initial proofing I just did the finger test, and the dent stayed firmly in even though I only proofed it for 45 minutes...
I think I sapped all the yeasts strength...

I'll know soon.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Hopper posted:

I think I sapped all the yeasts strength...

I'll know soon.

That really shouldn't be possible

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It worked out rather well...but imgur and tinypic don't want my pic

Edit: imgur don't like Firefox it seems

(That colorfoul bread knife's blade is ~6.5 inches long)

Hopper fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 1, 2013

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Burger buns - any good recipes?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Happy Hat posted:

Burger buns - any good recipes?
I've made these whole wheat buns and they are good but if you are not vegan and/or want white instead of whole wheat, I have heard good things about King Arthur's recipe.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm starting my first bread making attempt today. Going with this recipe from the King Arthur site. Currently, the dough is proving. When I get home tonight, I'll be ready to continue working with it. I reckon I'll know success or failure by midnight. Wish me luck! :ohdear:

EDIT:

Success! :neckbeard:

After about 11 hours rising in my cabinet, the dough looked like this.

I was really worried about how sticky it was, so I added some more flour than was strictly necessary while shaping it.

Put it in my new cast iron dutch oven, covered it, and let it sit for 2 hours. It was still SUPER sticky, which worried me, but a bit more flour and I was able to put my finger in it and the indent stayed. Scored it with my bread knife, threw the remaining topping on, and put it in the cold oven, setting it for 450. After 50 minutes lidded, and 10 lidded, I pulled it out, stuck a thermometer in it, and it was done.

I've had to resist cutting in because I have plans for it. So I can't comment on the taste yet. It leads me to a question though: are no-knead recipes always so sticky? And is it supposed to remain that way through the process?

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 3, 2013

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've seen some discussion on this thread about bread makers.

I am one of those people who will start the yeast, use their bread-maker to mix up the dough, and then bake the loaf in the oven. There's a lot of good reasons for this, and I'd like to offer them if I may:

1.) Though the standard loaf shape of the pan is fine for sandwich slices, it's not incredibly aesthetically pleasing and tends to have buttholes or, worse, a metal paddle lodged in its bottom. I like to decide on a whim what shape my bread is going to be. Multiple braids? Topped with seeds or garlic salt? Slit, cross-slit, or even the dreaded star-slit? I can decide suddenly and the dough is already there.

2.) I'm very forgetful. There's been several times I've hand-kneaded dough and walked away during a rise... forgetting I had bread going at all. (Liking to drink or smoke while baking might add to this.) With the breadmaker, the rises and deflations are taking care of themselves, and I don't have to worry until I hear the beeping. Then I shape the loaf, and preheat the oven and stone while the loaf rises under a towel.

3.) I cannot STAND the feeling of sticky bread-dough on my hands. I have incredibly sensitive hands, to the point where I can't spread semolina on a pizza peel without shuddering. I'm like Mister Burns getting his nails filed. As such, I rarely give the bread all the kneading it really needs, and end up with a less-than optimal loaf.

It's nice to know the dough is readying itself while you're prepping a chicken, or watching Red Dwarf or drinking whiskey or having sex.

That's just my two cents. I'll be posting pictures of the bread I have rising right now later tonight, so get excited guys!!!

Edit: Here we go, they look nice! Knotted buns topped with garlic, sea salt, and herbs. Larger round loaf is covered in sunflower seeds. These smell so good!

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 7, 2013

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any suggestions for a banana bread recipe? The last found online came out really dry, for some reason.

\/:hfive:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 7, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

melon cat posted:

Any suggestions for a banana bread recipe? The last found online came out really dry, for some reason.
Wrong thread - you want the Quick Breads Thread which has 2 banana bread recipes on page 2 and 2 more on page 3.

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
Did a small Wheat/Rye/Caraway test run. Turned out better than I anticipated. Regretfully I have no pastrami to go with it.

Crumb Shot

This has inspired me to complete my baking ratio Android app.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I know this isn't the no-knead thread, but it seems more active now.

I'm making the NYT version, and it suggests some sort of dutch oven to bake the bread. I have a bread stone. Can I just put a piece of parchment paper on the stone and put the bread on there? Will it flaten out too much because there aren't walls on the side? I would also not bake at 450 since it'd burn without a cover, so maybe 400 instead?

Or, could I use my stainless steel pot with a lid, and line that with parchment paper? I dont' want the bread to stick.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I know this isn't the no-knead thread, but it seems more active now.

I'm making the NYT version, and it suggests some sort of dutch oven to bake the bread. I have a bread stone. Can I just put a piece of parchment paper on the stone and put the bread on there? Will it flaten out too much because there aren't walls on the side? I would also not bake at 450 since it'd burn without a cover, so maybe 400 instead?

Or, could I use my stainless steel pot with a lid, and line that with parchment paper? I dont' want the bread to stick.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/PrintRecipe?RID=1330&radio=1

I've always used this recipe for no-knead loaves and had a lot of luck with it. I use a flat iron skillet in the oven (plus parchment) and a metal tray for the steam. I don't know how a dutch oven affects the sides, but I always seem to get a good oven rise if I treat/mix the dough right. I do stick with 450 exact, measured with the thermometer, and I've never had one burn. My bread was coming out too dense before I got the thermometer because my oven was too cool and it wasn't getting done completely. The thermometer fixed that.

You can watch it near the end to make sure it doesn't over brown or burn, but I don't watch it as much anymore. You'll get a pretty good feel for it after you make a few (and the smell is wonderful).

Again not an expert by any means but I love baking all kinds of bread. I've been meaning to try a pot just to see what it does for the crust.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

meatsaw posted:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/PrintRecipe?RID=1330&radio=1

I've always used this recipe for no-knead loaves and had a lot of luck with it. I use a flat iron skillet in the oven (plus parchment) and a metal tray for the steam. I don't know how a dutch oven affects the sides, but I always seem to get a good oven rise if I treat/mix the dough right. I do stick with 450 exact, measured with the thermometer, and I've never had one burn. My bread was coming out too dense before I got the thermometer because my oven was too cool and it wasn't getting done completely. The thermometer fixed that.

You can watch it near the end to make sure it doesn't over brown or burn, but I don't watch it as much anymore. You'll get a pretty good feel for it after you make a few (and the smell is wonderful).

Again not an expert by any means but I love baking all kinds of bread. I've been meaning to try a pot just to see what it does for the crust.

Thanks for this. It ended up coming out pretty well, albeit dense. I think that had to do more with my mixing than anything else. I did 2 cups whole wheat and 1 cup white so I probably have to work on that ratio or find better flour.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Thanks for this. It ended up coming out pretty well, albeit dense. I think that had to do more with my mixing than anything else. I did 2 cups whole wheat and 1 cup white so I probably have to work on that ratio or find better flour.

With that much wholemeal your loaf will be quite dense regardless of quality or mixing.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

With that much wholemeal your loaf will be quite dense regardless of quality or mixing.

I want to eat more home made bread, but I want to try to be healthy about it. Do we have any recipes for any of that whole grain mumbo jumbo bread that I'd like to think is better for you to eat?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Doh004 posted:

I want to eat more home made bread, but I want to try to be healthy about it. Do we have any recipes for any of that whole grain mumbo jumbo bread that I'd like to think is better for you to eat?

As far as I'm concerned, this is the ultimate whole wheat bread recipie. It makes the softest, most flavorful bread. It's really wonderful.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=27410

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have a challenge! My stove is a stand-alone gas unit that has paper-thin walls and leaks out the back like a sieve. I'm figuring out that I can only fry things on the stove top, as the interior doesn't get hot enough to do more than cookies. I don't have a temperature gauge, but I can still poke my finger at my breads after 30m preheat and 40m bake. I like stoves that get to 250C that cook pizzas in four minutes. I have easy access to cheap tile, can I just line the stove with that to increase insulation? Am I stuck with doughnuts and funnel cake?

I see a lot of cast iron chat here. Cast iron is probably a good remedy to my crappy stove, and I'd love to have a dutch oven or even a big square or disc. I'm in Nigeria and haven't seen anything for sale that's not thin Chinese steel, but can I commission that stuff? Is there a difference between food-grade cast iron and otherwise, as long as I give it a first-time scrub and then seasoning?

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I am about to make the pretzels from this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buttery-soft-pretzels/
I'll let everyone know how they are. But does anyone have any other pretzel recipes that they enjoy?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

I am about to make the pretzels from this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buttery-soft-pretzels/
I'll let everyone know how they are. But does anyone have any other pretzel recipes that they enjoy?

I'm actually in the process of making these: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hot-buttered-soft-pretzels-recipe right now that I got from earlier in the thread.

I was going to use the one you posted, but it looks like it uses a lot more flour, and a lot of sugar. I'm curious how yours turns out, and mine as well. If they taste half as delicious as they look, then oh god.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
They are pretty dang good. The only other bread that I have ever made was beer bread. These pretzels were really easy and browned out pretty nice. They had that dark brown mall pretzel color. There is a lot of flour and the dough was a little dry and thick. Very slightly sweet too. But the baked texture was really smooth and soft. I think that I will try to make another batch with less flour just to see how it turns out. Thanks for posting that recipe I will try that one too. Let us know how yours turn out. ^

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

They are pretty dang good. The only other bread that I have ever made was beer bread. These pretzels were really easy and browned out pretty nice. They had that dark brown mall pretzel color. There is a lot of flour and the dough was a little dry and thick. Very slightly sweet too. But the baked texture was really smooth and soft. I think that I will try to make another batch with less flour just to see how it turns out. Thanks for posting that recipe I will try that one too. Let us know how yours turn out. ^

They are pretty dang good. They browned fantastically. They remind me very much of those pretzels you'd get from a cart or the ball game flavor wise, but still a lot better. I wish I had used more sea salt for topping, as it really helps the flavor just sort of explode.

I think I'll try the other recipe next time, I would like something like Auntie Annes, more of a dessert pretzel.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Here's tonight's results of my first attempt at bread making. Apologies for the kind of crappy phone pictures.

Its a braided cheddar loaf.

Pretty good for a first attempt if I say so myself as I was a bit worried it'd go a lot worse. Though its approaching depleted uranium in terms of density. I think I made the water/milk too hot when I mixed it into the yeast.

BillyJoeBob fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 11, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

NightConqueror posted:

As far as I'm concerned, this is the ultimate whole wheat bread recipie. It makes the softest, most flavorful bread. It's really wonderful.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=27410

I'll have to try it out, thanks :)

Does anyone have any good, hearty whole wheat/grain crusty bread?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

I'll have to try it out, thanks :)

Does anyone have any good, hearty whole wheat/grain crusty bread?

I just make my no knead loaf with about 80/20 wholemeal to white, add a bit of oil (maybe 30ml), higher hydration, and toss in some sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

King Arthur has a very good part wholemeal loaf with oats that I can recommend too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Starting to get the hang of my sandwich loaves. Soft and chewey, slices great. On this one I even got that nice exploding from the tin, Butt-Shaped top.

Only registered members can see post attachments!