Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Black88GTA posted:

Hot oil lines run directly into the gauge cluster / passenger compartment? :cripes: There's not a :stare: big enough. What the gently caress Alfa? I'd expect this out of something from the '30s maybe, you know, back when "safety features" weren't a thing.

Its really common for people to use oil line fed gauges when they cant figure out how to wire an electric one. Most of the time this is when the OEM gauge has failed, but in Alfa's case, who can say? I've replaced dozens of alfa convertible tops and frames, but i had to call the local alfa shop to ask them where the trunk handle was. The whole car is a mechanical failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raw_Beef posted:

Its really common for people to use oil line fed gauges when they cant figure out how to wire an electric one. Most of the time this is when the OEM gauge has failed, but in Alfa's case, who can say? I've replaced dozens of alfa convertible tops and frames, but i had to call the local alfa shop to ask them where the trunk handle was. The whole car is a mechanical failure.

Don't old minis have this setup as well? Also should probably note that analogue oil pressure gauges are cheap as chips whereas ones that involve a sensor and so on are much pricier.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Cheap is good, but in that case can I please have it mounted outside the cabin? :ohdear:

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Splizwarf posted:

Cheap is good, but in that case can I please have it mounted outside the cabin? :ohdear:

I think this is the only OEM external gauge ever. I could be totally wrong. No idea why it didnt catch on :rolleyes:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Raw_Beef posted:

I think this is the only OEM external gauge ever. I could be totally wrong. No idea why it didnt catch on :rolleyes:

It was/is a drag thing. If you've got your mint Chevelle, you don't want to hack up the dash or side pillar for gauges, so you tuck them in the cowl and in front of the windshield. It began way before the day of multi-readout digital display EL lit color changing LED screen gauges of today. It's still pretty common with muscle car enthusiasts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Plus if you have a purely mechanical gauge it makes it easier to hook up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Nice, this right here is what I was talking about. The other photos posted are kind of tacky but I always thought this style was really smooth.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Raw_Beef posted:

The battery was in the trunk, under some upholstery, behind the jack. I never did figure out how to set the clock. It said BORG on it and had two buttons, neither of which did anything. Also, I misremembered in my earlier post. The speedometer never worked right. The only thing it'd tell you was that an indicated 50 was faster than an indicated 30. Those speeds had little to do with outside reality, changing based on some Italian formula, probably based on weather. I just got good with matching gear and tach to speed limits. (2200 in 3rd is 40mph, etc.)

I have got to find my print photos. I have some shots from when I blew up 2nd gear synchro, and my Italian repair man managed to bring me two oily handfuls of pieces explaining why I had to rev-match, and what that noise was, and thank you for bringing it in before we had to replace the whole gearbox.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

thelightguy posted:

I have faith that even the most idiotic of idiots could manage to match color to color. Sparking off a battery that's offgassing because they didn't read the loving instructions on the jumper cable package? That's much more plausible.

Let me tell you about my frinds who we'll call Stu and Tom, because those are their names, both doing electronics A Levels at the time, apparently one decided the best way to jump a car was to make a circuit with the two batteries. After about 5 seconds I realised this had happened and shouted WHAT HAVE YOU DONE DISCONNECT IT, but the loving cable was so hot it had melted the insulation on the jump leads and burnt Stu's hands.

I'd imagine lots of idiots can do this without noticing. Stu and Tom were lucky that in their case an idiot noticed.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Crankit posted:

Let me tell you about my frinds who we'll call Stu and Tom, because those are their names, both doing electronics A Levels at the time, apparently one decided the best way to jump a car was to make a circuit with the two batteries. After about 5 seconds I realised this had happened and shouted WHAT HAVE YOU DONE DISCONNECT IT, but the loving cable was so hot it had melted the insulation on the jump leads and burnt Stu's hands.

I'd imagine lots of idiots can do this without noticing. Stu and Tom were lucky that in their case an idiot noticed.

Holy poo poo it's like when I wasn't paying attention a couple of months ago and connected the one jumper lead across both terminals of a battery. I was working on either the quad or the pocket chopper and using a car battery to start it. Mistake realised in a few seconds when the smoke started.
I unclipped one of the clips from the battery although it was actively melting. No Idea how I didn't really burn myself. I was just too lovely about the damage I did to one of my good leads.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I never did figure out how to set the clock. It said BORG on it and had two buttons, neither of which did anything.

Your effort to change the display was clearly both irrelevant and futile.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Raw_Beef posted:

Trans Am Turbo did it too, although the utility of its gauge is questionable at best.

TURBO CHARGE: HIGH.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

General_Failure posted:

Holy poo poo it's like when I wasn't paying attention a couple of months ago and connected the one jumper lead across both terminals of a battery. I was working on either the quad or the pocket chopper and using a car battery to start it. Mistake realised in a few seconds when the smoke started.
I unclipped one of the clips from the battery although it was actively melting. No Idea how I didn't really burn myself. I was just too lovely about the damage I did to one of my good leads.

I was fortunate once not to set a truck on fire when I used speaker wire to jump a battery while I was holding both the battery and the wire. BUUUUTTTTTT no one wanted to lend me jumper cables and it was my only option... Turns out you CAN jump a car with speaker wire but you'd better wear gloves cause that poo poo gets hot.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

11BulletCatcher posted:

I was fortunate once not to set a truck on fire when I used speaker wire to jump a battery while I was holding both the battery and the wire. BUUUUTTTTTT no one wanted to lend me jumper cables and it was my only option... Turns out you CAN jump a car with speaker wire but you'd better wear gloves cause that poo poo gets hot.

My dad tried that with UPS batteries and alligator clips.

We stopped when the smoke started.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Trans Am Turbo did it too, although the utility of its gauge is questionable at best.

High doesn't illuminate unless it is overboosting, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
^ The only thing that would make that more awesome is if it was a scale of 1-11.

Black88GTA posted:

Hot oil lines run directly into the gauge cluster / passenger compartment? :cripes: There's not a :stare: big enough. What the gently caress Alfa? I'd expect this out of something from the '30s maybe, you know, back when "safety features" weren't a thing.

My '66 Corvette has an oil line to the guage. I didn't realize what it was until I disconnected it while removing the cluster (holy poo poo what a pain in the rear end) but it only leaked a couple of drops; I wrapped it in a ziploc w/rubber band while the cluster was out.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 31, 2013

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

Whats sad about this is that if they had rigged up like a dozen little LEDs in a line going from green to red, it wouldve been a totally awesome gauge. Instead they :effort: and made that. Nasca edition?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Raw_Beef posted:

Whats sad about this is that if they had rigged up like a dozen little LEDs in a line going from green to red, it wouldve been a totally awesome gauge. Instead they :effort: and made that. Nasca edition?

NASCAR edition (more of a trim package if I remember correctly). Keep in mind that's on a late '70s Trans Am, LEDs weren't anywhere near ready for automotive use then (and were only red, green LEDs were much later).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's a 1981 Daytona 500 pace car (replica), hence the NASCAR decal.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

DJ Commie posted:

High doesn't illuminate unless it is overboosting, too.

Or when KITT goes into super-pursuit mode.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Farmdizzle posted:

Anyway, this here is not a *huge* failure, and it's electrical rather than mechanical, but it is pretty horrible when you hit a pothole in a rain squall and your wipers stop working! :wtf::

Why not just resolder the broken joints? You can also bypass the burnt trace with a short piece of 20 or 22AWG wire.

This way you'll have a working spare ready just in case when the lovely RockAuto part fails.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

buttcrackmenace posted:

This way you'll have a working spare ready just in case when the lovely RockAuto part fails.

RockAuto doesn't make you buy lovely parts; sorting by price at RockAuto makes you buy lovely parts. In the same vein of "guns don't kill people" mantra. I love RockAuto.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

buttcrackmenace posted:

Why not just resolder the broken joints? You can also bypass the burnt trace with a short piece of 20 or 22AWG wire.

Read my post again. I did resolder them. Also, the lovely part isn't the one from RockAuto, it's the one from loving GM.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I like the direction this thread is heading.
Can we have more turbo failures please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Is that a compressor wheel broken off the shaft and sucked down the intake manifold? :stare:

Kind of like a turbocharger failure but on a bigger scale:

Google find. I think that's a JT9D that chewed something up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Is that a compressor wheel broken off the shaft and sucked down the intake manifold? :stare:

Turbine wheel in downpipe.

Here are a couple I've collected.

I'd blame this one on poor mounting of the turbo and charge pipes:

This appears to be a cheapo knockoff that didn't pass a burst test:

Here's a Subaru that either had FOD from the up-pipe cat or an oil supply issue:

This was too many boosts I think:

And this was an oil supply issue on a WRX:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

jamal posted:

Turbine wheel in downpipe.

Had I thought about how a turbo works for two seconds I would have realized that. Plus all the carbon was a clue. :downs:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

jamal posted:

This appears to be a cheapo knockoff that didn't pass a burst test:

What? The weakest point along the entire intake tract was this part made of solid 1/2" thick cast iron?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Throatwarbler posted:

What? The weakest point along the entire intake tract was this part made of solid 1/2" thick cast iron?

Probably not iron, but poorly-cast aluminum. Or, by the looks of it, maybe it was just 3d printed and painted.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

thelightguy posted:

Battery offgassing hydrogen + spark. Believe it or not, it's not really common knowledge that you should clip the negative clamp to something metal that isn't the battery.
I don't own a car haven't driven one in about eight years and yet even I know that.

thelightguy posted:

I have faith that even the most idiotic of idiots could manage to match color to color. Sparking off a battery that's offgassing because they didn't read the loving instructions on the jumper cable package? That's much more plausible.
Ehhhh... People aparently have turned batteries into bombs due to the offgassing phenomeon so nothing surprises me.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 1, 2013

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I don't own a car haven't driven one in about eight years and yet even I know that.

You're smarter than most people. Here's a cookie.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

They usually don't make compressor covers out of 1/2" thick iron.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Camshaft carnage. The smaller objects are the rocker arms that I had to re-assemble CSI-style so as to know how many chunks to look for when taking the sump off. Also have to find the two pairs of collets it smacked out of the retainers. :sigh:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Slavvy posted:

Camshaft carnage. The smaller objects are the rocker arms that I had to re-assemble CSI-style so as to know how many chunks to look for when taking the sump off. Also have to find the two pairs of collets it smacked out of the retainers. :sigh:

I guess the camshaft broke and the pistons rammed the valves into the rockers, breaking them? If that's the case it sure sounds a whole lot cheaper than replacing pistons, valves, and maybe even the head itself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Previa_fun posted:

Kind of like a turbocharger failure but on a bigger scale:

Google find. I think that's a JT9D that chewed something up.

I had an APU come back from overhaul, and get installed with a 1st stage that looked like that. Day shift couldn't figure out why it kept shutting down and BITing overtemp during the ops check, till I stuck a borescope down the intake. It looked like someone had fed it rocks.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I had an APU come back from overhaul, and get installed with a 1st stage that looked like that. Day shift couldn't figure out why it kept shutting down and BITing overtemp during the ops check, till I stuck a borescope down the intake. It looked like someone had fed it rocks.

hmmm.... was this at NWA in 2005 right before the strike? we had one like that....

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrYenko posted:

I had an APU come back from overhaul, and get installed with a 1st stage that looked like that.

That's kind of terrifying. This is what our APUs fail like:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

After 6 months of dealing with a signal not working I finally decided to replace the power board on my Range Rovers body controller.

*everything* goes through this guy. I lost the front right signal indicator, headlight wash/wipe, and a few other minor glitches like loosing sync with the key.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At least it went out and not in.

I'm guessing there's some sort of shielding on the inwards facing side so you don't shower the passengers or cargo with shrapnel in case it blows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Black88GTA posted:

There was an Australian car that I can't remember the name of from the 40s60s where the fuel gauge was a piece of vertical glass tube running up the dashboard that was fed fuel directly from the tank. So you would have little marks on the glass, that would show you how much fuel was left. I'm not sure if that's worse or better than hot oil running into the passenger compartment. There certainly aren't any winners here.

fake edit: found it. The Lightburn Zeta. Holy poo poo it was a lot more recent than I thought.