Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
From that same article:

quote:

If you can tell that it’s us in the commercial, I would think there would be some people and they would see it and they would say, “Oh, what was that, I’m curious about that,” and then they might go buy our new record, which comes out in a couple months, and our new record sounds nothing like that.

Sounds like we are Go for a "suddenly middle age facing mortality" album. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm hoping that The Terror does live up to expectations because it's going to be funny when people who pretty much only like Yoshimi or whatever start bitching.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

precision posted:

That's actually a really good question. Willie Nelson, Stephen Colbert, and even Goddamn Jimmy Fallon have had their own flavors recently, I think the Lips are popular enough to warrant one.

My vote is orange ice cream with super-sour gummi skulls, a caramel swirl, chocolate covered pretzels, and also a marshmallow swirl.

Duh, it should be tangerine flavour ice cream, with a vaseline swirl.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Heh. My 5yr old son LOVES the commercial and the song. He loves the Lips in general but I get the feeling The Terror is not for kids :v:

I feel sorry for all the people downloading the album because of that commercial and being thoroughly disappointed.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I'm hoping that The Terror does live up to expectations because it's going to be funny when people who pretty much only like Yoshimi or whatever start bitching.

I went up to Victoria, Canada last year to see them at Rifflandia. It was obviously a mix bag of an audience because it was a festival that mostly had top 40 people like Mackelmore and Cake but the 'Lips drew a good crowd. Everyone there was super douchey, not really into anything they did. However, like it goes with a lot of shows with their popular songs, as soon as 'Do You Realize??' came on, everyone became their biggest fans. And then Drug Chart happened and everyone got all weirded out.

DO THE METH
"this is kind of... weird."
DO THE METH
"i really don't like it when he calls us motherfuckers"
DO THE METH
"we're gonna go over to the other stage and go see Band of Horses"

WASDF fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 1, 2013

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CPL593H posted:

I feel like this would have happened with Embryonic as well.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
The iTunes listing seems a lot different than it was yesterday (though maybe I didn't read it closely enough?) It's offering the nine tracks as "(Individual Shuffle-Ready Versions,)" followed by "The Terror (Full Album,) Sun Blows Up Today, and the second bonus track. Makes me think all the tracks transition into each other, like on Embryonic.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

WASDF posted:

DO THE METH
"i really don't like it when he calls us motherfuckers"

Haha, it's almost like you have to know how Wayne is before you see a show. His long winded speeches tend to piss people off too, when the rest of us are just like "Another Wayne speech :rolleyes:"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

leica posted:

Haha, it's almost like you have to know how Wayne is before you see a show. His long winded speeches tend to piss people off too, when the rest of us are just like "Another Wayne speech :rolleyes:"

I only saw them once but by the third or forth time he did that I just started spacing out until music happened again. The live version of I Can Be a Frog is loving agony.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The last show I went to he was going on about politics and a lot of people were yelling SHUT THE gently caress UP so he had to hear it, and you think he would get the hint to wrap it up but no, he's gotta get the whole speech out, it's for your own good!

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Wayne will be Wayne. And Wayne likes to talk.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

leica posted:

It was funny hearing Kliph talk about this after a show. It pisses the rest of the band off too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

It was funny hearing Kliph talk about this after a show. It pisses the rest of the band off too.

I'd have been surprised if that wasn't the case. I can't imagine how annoying that poo poo must be if you have to hear it constantly.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I haven't heard Wayne say anything too ridiculous or douchey on stage. I saw The Smashing Pumpkins last year about a week before the election and there was a point between songs where Billy Corgan started saying "So... how about that electi-" and the bassist cut him off and said "WHAT election??" and that was the end of that. They did talk about post-show colonics.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Wayne has gotten way better with cutting down his banter over the past year or so.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

I haven't heard Wayne say anything too ridiculous or douchey on stage. I saw The Smashing Pumpkins last year about a week before the election and there was a point between songs where Billy Corgan started saying "So... how about that electi-" and the bassist cut him off and said "WHAT election??" and that was the end of that. They did talk about post-show colonics.

I'd honestly rather hear about that than listen to aging rockstars blather on about politics.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

so this might be a little snippet of You Lust.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s18kKKXiJ2ud

maybe

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

WASDF posted:

so this might be a little snippet of You Lust.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s18kKKXiJ2ud

maybe

It is, Wayne tweeted a clip of that a while back. The backing track is from 7 Skies H3 and the voice is Sarah from Phantogram.

Where was that posted?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

linked to me from a friend. he found it on /mu/ i think so the authenticity of it being a real "leak" is in question obviously

this too http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xn5V8agicU

WASDF fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 4, 2013

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
The Lips commercial aired before the Super Bowl actually started which was kind of lame, but the ad was pretty funny I guess.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

dumb premise that really had nothing to do with the lips aside from "LOOK AT ALL THIS WACKY poo poo WOOHOOO!!"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

dumb premise that really had nothing to do with the lips aside from "LOOK AT ALL THIS WACKY poo poo WOOHOOO!!"

There were animals and spaceship and poo poo. That's pretty Flaming Lips themed if you ask me.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I saw it when it was posted here last week, it was kind of just your average silly car commercial with kids. I didn't see it live tonight but my brother texted me saying he saw the Lips in a commercial, so that was kind of neat.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

There were animals and spaceship and poo poo. That's pretty Flaming Lips themed if you ask me.

Man, they even had colors!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Here's an interview with Wayne and Steven about the record.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Did the Peel Session material that ended up on the This Here Giraffe single ever get collected anywhere else, or should I just track those down to hear the session?

Also, the more interviews I hear from the guys this album cycle, the more they seem to know what to say about the record. I know this is pretty obvious, but it makes it feel more like they know what they're doing at any given time.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Did the Peel Session material that ended up on the This Here Giraffe single ever get collected anywhere else, or should I just track those down to hear the session?

Also, the more interviews I hear from the guys this album cycle, the more they seem to know what to say about the record. I know this is pretty obvious, but it makes it feel more like they know what they're doing at any given time.

Nah. They also did another Peel Session after the Soft Bulletin came out, and those tracks are on the Soft Bulletin Companion 2.

Here's another interview with Steven about the album.

And here are two new songs from a Valentine's Day chocolate heart thing that came out the other day... Love is Mind Control - All You Need is Love.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's another interview with Steven about the album.

I feel like i've put up with a lot of Wayne's poo poo, mostly because I just don't care, but that thing about him making him Steven being suicidal and exaggerating his drug addiction made my skin crawl a bit.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Didn't see this posted:
http://www.nme.com/news/the-flaming-lips/68559

Looks like they're going to cover The Stone Roses' album (they only did one, ok?) with some guests and stuff.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Run Dodo Run posted:

Didn't see this posted:
http://www.nme.com/news/the-flaming-lips/68559

Looks like they're going to cover The Stone Roses' album (they only did one, ok?) with some guests and stuff.

It's going to be more of a "Wayne Coyne and Friends" thing, like the King Crimson one was. I don't really see the point, but hey, why not?

And here's another interview about the album with Steven. I can't wait to finally hear it, everything I've heard about it sounds great.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Surfingelectrode posted:

It's going to be more of a "Wayne Coyne and Friends" thing, like the King Crimson one was. I don't really see the point, but hey, why not?

And here's another interview about the album with Steven. I can't wait to finally hear it, everything I've heard about it sounds great.

Drozd looks refreshingly not like a heroin addict in that photo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slackerish posted:

I feel like i've put up with a lot of Wayne's poo poo, mostly because I just don't care, but that thing about him making him Steven being suicidal and exaggerating his drug addiction made my skin crawl a bit.

Yikes. It sounded like Steven was kinda pissed about it, I wonder how that conversation went.....

That being said Steven's drug issues are pretty well documented so it's not out of the realm of possibility, however Wayne had no right to exploit it. But I guess that's what he's good at?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Surfingelectrode posted:

Hmm. I found that very hit and miss, but then again I was never a big King Crimson fan. Be interesting to see the result, though. Wayne mentioned the singer from Policia which I hope happens.

Also, I do admire their sheer balls in covering the most well-regarded albums of all time in this series.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I like the idea of bands covering entire albums. It's interesting.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

WASDF posted:

I like the idea of bands covering entire albums. It's interesting.

It's definitely an interesting concept but I'm not crazy about the DSOTM album and I don't care much for the original King Crimson or Stone Roses albums. I'm trying to think if I've listened to any other bands covering other peoples albums situations and I'm blanking, so I don't know if I've ever actually enjoyed one of these projects.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Smithereens did the Who's Tommy and it's pretty horrible.

I don't see the point, just like the Lip's cover of DSOTM, if you're a fan of the album any cover is going to sound like poo poo in comparison. It might sound good if you never really listened to the album before, but if you know it very well it's sacrilegious to even think some other band could do a better job. To me Tommy and DSOTM are masterpieces and should NOT be recorded by anyone other than the people that created it. Just my opinion.

[edit] and although not an album, Green Day covered the Who's "mini opera" A Quick One and it's poo poo also. gently caress Green Day.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 8, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Who says that a cover is supposed to or has to be better than the original? Or a replacement for it? I'm a huge fan of Pink Floyd and I loved the Flaming Lips version of Dark Side. It was a fun and interesting new take on an album I've already heard god knows how many times. There being a new version doesn't diminish the quality or artistry of the original in any way. Nor do I think the band would have the pretense to claim that theirs is the superior version of the classic album (ok, maybe Wayne but not the rest of them). I'll even go so far to say that some of my favorite stuff is when a good band does someone else's song. It's not meant to upstage the original artists, it's a tribute to them.

Also, Green Day is just pure poo poo. So obviously they'd do an awful Who cover.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

leica posted:

The Smithereens did the Who's Tommy and it's pretty horrible.

I don't see the point, just like the Lip's cover of DSOTM, if you're a fan of the album any cover is going to sound like poo poo in comparison. It might sound good if you never really listened to the album before, but if you know it very well it's sacrilegious to even think some other band could do a better job. To me Tommy and DSOTM are masterpieces and should NOT be recorded by anyone other than the people that created it. Just my opinion.

[edit] and although not an album, Green Day covered the Who's "mini opera" A Quick One and it's poo poo also. gently caress Green Day.

I think the covers of Breathe and Great Gig in the Sky were pretty good. Admittedly I haven't heard the whole thing, and I've heard it gets worse as it goes on, but I was a huge Pink Floyd fan forever and still love DSOTM and I didn't mind their covering it.

Their cover of I am the Walrus was pretty bland, though.

e: I guess whenever I listen to modern Flaming Lips I expect some kind of crazy, Embryonic-style jam to take place in the middle of it and kind of get disappointed when it doesn't happen. That was definitely the case with both I am the Walrus and the parts of the King Crimson album I heard.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 8, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Who says that a cover is supposed to or has to be better than the original? Or a replacement for it?

Nobody. I'm just a big fan of DSOTM and don't think it should be hosed with. The Lip's cover was horrible imo. Covers of songs are cool but doing whole albums like Tommy is a bit ridiculous. Make your own album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

leica posted:

Nobody. I'm just a big fan of DSOTM and don't think it should be hosed with. The Lip's cover was horrible imo. Covers of songs are cool but doing whole albums like Tommy is a bit ridiculous. Make your own album.

It wasn't "hosed with" though. They just did a cover version of it for fun.

• Locked thread