Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to the Newcastle gig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Shabadu posted:

I'm sorry ska thread, I should've listened to you all those years ago and gone to the BTMI shows when I could. Spent today listening to everything they've ever made and I love them.

Alternatively, get to LA.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
New posts?! Maybe they're about Streetlight...nope, just BTMI. Story of this thread's life.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

My exact thought process every time I see new posts. :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

New posts?! Maybe they're about Streetlight...nope, just BTMI. Story of this thread's life.

I have a sinking feeling that THTT will maybe not show up in January.

Your move Tomas, I guess.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Amazon says March 26th, but Victory is refusing to officially confirm it so whether it's that is anyone's guess. I doubt it'll be any earlier though. :/

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

streetlight facebook posted:

After enough behind-the-scenes melodrama to keep a soap opera scripted for a few years, we finally got confirmation that we will be announcing the release date of our long delayed record "The Hands That Thieve" this Friday.

We are all beyond excited that we can finally see the end of the tunnel, and you'll all be able to hear the hard work that has gone into this record.

Once again, we profusely apologize for the wait, and are eager to hit the road in the near future to support the new tunes.

If you haven't already pre-ordered the album, you still have the opportunity to do so up until the actual release date. All pre-orders made through the RISC Store, will come with a free gift from us, a live EP CD, recorded during the last US tour.

Yes.

https://www.riscstore.com
https://www.streetlightmanifesto.com

Friday!

Is the day the release date will be revealed. :v:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I bet it's February.

:suicide:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Have they started mailing out the pre-orders yet? Cause I want the album yesterday

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I've never been so excited about the official announcement of the date of the official announcement of the release date of something.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The Toots and The Maytals are really good.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw Less Than Jake in September, but I think the last "ska" show I saw before that was Jimmy Cliff.

February is when I usually dig out my first-wave albums to shake off the doldrums.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

New posts?! Maybe they're about Streetlight any band but BTMI...nope, just BTMI. Story of this thread's life.

This is my life right here.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I saw Less Than Jake in September, but I think the last "ska" show I saw before that was Jimmy Cliff.

February is when I usually dig out my first-wave albums to shake off the doldrums.

I'm gonna try this.

I know dick about first-wave ska. If you had to give a top 10 first-wave ska artists to introduce someone to it, what would they be? The first post has lots of artists but I could use a stripped down list to start with so I don't get overwhelmed.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Ras Het did a list of the 5 most important first wave ska albums in the recommendations thread.

Ras Het posted:

Laurel Aitken - The Pioneer of Jamaican Music
Desmond Dekker - Rockin' Steady: The Best of Desmond Dekker
Jackie Mittoo - Last Train to Skaville
The Wailers - One Love at Studio One
Prince Buster - Fabulous Greatest Hits
The Skatalites - Foundation Ska
Studio One Ska
and yeah, a Trojan Box or two.

I only know a bit about the early stuff. There was an old PHIZ thread about jamaican music archived somewhere but I can't find it and it's probably about making fun of this thread anyway.

If you're thinking of making a new list it might actually be worth making a new thread about Jamaican music, which can talk about reggae and rocksteady and get a bit more discussion and involvement from other posters, because it's going to get drowned out here when Streetlight Manifesto reveal their release date.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

AusGoons posted:

Btmi tour

For anyone that missed it last week Btmi updated their tour dates, and basically filled in all of the days that they're not playing with the Smith Street Band with more shows. And it's utterly ridiculous. Brisbane, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Port Maquarie, Byron, Coffs, Sydney, then Newcastle, then Canberra. So much doubling back and forth.

I'm much more happy with the new Brisbane show. The first show is at a club that will have all the hardcore scenesters that night. The new one is a hole in the wall venue without a website and is all ages and from google maps appears to be some kind of gym in an industrial area.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

come on Tomas it's Friday tell us when THTT comes out already

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Found out The Specials are playing in Chicago on March 11th. Has anyone seen them recently? Wondering if they're still good, or if I shouldn't waste my time.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
Less Than Jake just said they're playing at WROS fest, man check out this lineup:

http://wrosfest.com.br/lineup.htm

I guess it's mostly punk, but those lists of bands makes me want to go to Brazil.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Streetlight Friday update:

sounds like Victory are being douchelords.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Holy poo poo I have given Tomas the benefit of the doubt so many times, but when you make an announcement for an announcement for the date of release, and you can't even follow through on that...

Just shut your loving mouth until you ACTUALLY know something for sure. Stop loving telling your fans that "After enough behind-the-scenes melodrama to keep a soap opera scripted for a few years, we finally got confirmation that we will be announcing the release date of our long delayed record "The Hands That Thieve" this Friday." when it isn't loving true.

I'm sure plenty of the blame falls on Victory, I get that, but my lord Tomas does not handle PR well.

Like I'm seriously loving astounded that this dude would say that, when a release date doesn't even loving exist yet. How does he not learn.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I think part of it is he doesn't want to be totally silent because he knows that the wait sucks, and that Victory's delays suck, so he tries to be as transparent as possible about the current status, and it just doesn't work out like it should.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd prefer transparency rather than be left in the dark personally.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'd much rather have him go "look I thought this was happening but apparently Victory's got too many turds in their mouth to get it straight" a million times than wait a year between updates.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So right now we're at the announcement for the announcement of the announcement of the release date of the album, correct?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Victory's been involved in a bunch of poo poo like this from what I've heard but you have to wonder what Tomas did to get it so bad for his band specifically. Unless it happens to all the other bands and they just don't talk about it

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I just think it's lovely that he charged my card for an album preorder that has no release date.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Red Red Blue posted:

Victory's been involved in a bunch of poo poo like this from what I've heard but you have to wonder what Tomas did to get it so bad for his band specifically. Unless it happens to all the other bands and they just don't talk about it

Victory is a pretty awful label. They primarily sign "scene"/metalcore/x-core/etc bands which I am a pretty big fan of. They are notorious for causing issues for bands. Their biggest conflict is probably with A Day To Remember, who is probably their biggest band:

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/a_day_to_remember_victory_records

But they have done it to other bands besides SLM and A Day To Remember. Lots of newer bands they sign usually end up breaking up due to the label.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Does anyone have any reactions to how the Pilfers were on the RBF tour? I wanted to see them but ended up being busy the night of their Boston show.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I'm assuming THTT is going to be released as a package with Star Command at this point.

Psalmanazar posted:

Are you in Melbourne? A ska thread goon meet would be pretty weird but...

Nah, I'm just jealous as hell that they are playing down there with SSB.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

CodfishCartographer posted:

So right now we're at the announcement for the announcement of the announcement of the release date of the album, correct?

Close. The announcement for the delay of the announcement of the announcement of the release of the album.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Soon we might have to talk about a different band.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Streetlight Friday update:

sounds like Victory are being douchelords.

t:mad:t

I am very disappointed right now. drat it Tom

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

MassRayPer posted:

Does anyone have any reactions to how the Pilfers were on the RBF tour? I wanted to see them but ended up being busy the night of their Boston show.

I saw them in Cleveland and thought they were ... OK. There may have been an issue with the PA; the band sounded lifeless and the singer was close to unintelligible, which was especially bad because he kept trying to get call-and-response things going and nobody could understand what he wanted us to say for the response. They managed to bring enough energy to almost make up for it, but not quite.

I was disappointed, because Dan P and RBF were both great. And neither of them had any issues with the sound. I'm not sure if the booth mixed the Pilfers wrong, or they just had an off night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HisFlyingFingers posted:

I saw them in Cleveland and thought they were ... OK. There may have been an issue with the PA; the band sounded lifeless and the singer was close to unintelligible, which was especially bad because he kept trying to get call-and-response things going and nobody could understand what he wanted us to say for the response. They managed to bring enough energy to almost make up for it, but not quite.

I was disappointed, because Dan P and RBF were both great. And neither of them had any issues with the sound. I'm not sure if the booth mixed the Pilfers wrong, or they just had an off night.

Coolie does do some scatting for his call and response, so it would be funny if that's why no one could understand it, although I'm guessing that isn't the case this time. I am going to hope it was technical or just they haven't gelled after not playing together for so many years, they are my second favorite ska band of all time.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Big D and the Kids Table have a kickstarter up for 2 new albums:

quote:

Why two records? Big D’s style of music ranges from Ska, Punk, Thrash, Dub, Reggae and Stroll --a style of music they’ve created. This allows Big D to appeal to a diverse collection of listeners. By raising money for these two records, Big D will be able to record an upbeat Ska-Punk record for their fans that love high-energy music as well as a Stroll-Reggae record for listeners who enjoy the band’s more eclectic sound. And, of course, to quench the thirst of the fans of all styles Big D’s music.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1297569246/big-d-and-the-kids-table-two-new-records

It's a neat idea, they obviously realise that while they want to make Stroll-Reggae songs there's a large portion of their fanbase that aren't overly keen.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I didn't interpret it that way but if that's what the deal is I'm wary. I can't say I'm excited to hear an album that the people involved with it didn't really want to make.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think they want to make both types of music. The thing is, for me, when they split across 2-3 albums, I just end up merging them into one playlist and removing the worst songs to form one good album. And it makes me feel like they're better off just doing one good album and not 2-3 average ones.

Strictly Rude is not great but when you combine its best material with the Beijing to Boston EP, it makes a good, full, diverse album. And I think Dumb & Delirious was better off being a mix of everything even though everyone's going to have a different taste for what's good and bad on it. I can't stand Stringers but I've seen people that absolutely love that song.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 3, 2013

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I wish I could get people to pay $75 for a 7".

That kickstarter is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

MassRayPer posted:

Coolie does do some scatting for his call and response, so it would be funny if that's why no one could understand it, although I'm guessing that isn't the case this time. I am going to hope it was technical or just they haven't gelled after not playing together for so many years, they are my second favorite ska band of all time.

I saw them twice on the Skalapalooza tour, and they sounded pretty good then. Just saw the RBF tour on Saturday, and the Pilfers were a bit off, but I'd think it was due to having fill-ins for Vinnie on trombone and a fill-in for the bass player too.