Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I just noticed that my Newznab install has stopped adding releases. I watched the update script run, and noticed that it fails with this error before it gets a chance to actually add the releases to the database:

code:
PostPrc : Performing additional post processing on last 1 releases ...1.PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 98 bytes) in /home/mike/Public/newznab/www/lib/nzbinfo.php on line 60
I have the memory_limit parameter in php.ini set to 512MB, which I thought would be ample. Does anyone know why this might have started happening?

FWIW, I'm using Nginx/FPM instead of Apache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy

moron posted:

I just noticed that my Newznab install has stopped adding releases. I watched the update script run, and noticed that it fails with this error before it gets a chance to actually add the releases to the database:

code:
PostPrc : Performing additional post processing on last 1 releases ...1.PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 98 bytes) in /home/mike/Public/newznab/www/lib/nzbinfo.php on line 60
I have the memory_limit parameter in php.ini set to 512MB, which I thought would be ample. Does anyone know why this might have started happening?

FWIW, I'm using Nginx/FPM instead of Apache.

The message shows that it's running out of "268435456 bytes" which is 256MB. I think the memory_limit change didnt 'take'.

Did you restart the webserver after making this change?

Perhaps the php.ini path is wrong. Put this in a php file to find out the php.ini path that is being used by the web server's PHP module:

php:
<?php

phpinfo(INFO_GENERAL);

?>

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

nzb.su invite up for grabs, 4th PM gets it.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 1, 2013

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

5 Invites here, email me at sa.username@gmail.com

Dont forget the sa. at the start!

all gone!

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 1, 2013

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

monkeybounce posted:

Fair enough. The previous page was about API limits. My mistake. It's still be talked about countless times in this thread.

It's all good :cheers:. I hate asking stupid questions, but there were 1200 posts in this thread since the last time I checked it.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

moron posted:

code:
Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 98 bytes) 

I'm getting the same error. My install was fine until a recent SVN update.

I know mine is only set to 256mb, but it was never an issue before. I've increased it to 512 to see how if that fixes it.

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 1, 2013

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Telex posted:

It finds like 10 things for me once every other month. It's not that great.

Didn't the author just clone the original CouchPotato and then modify it for Headphones? It's basically a broken piece of software cloned from a broken piece of software.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Any updates on goonzb? Do I need to buy platinum on SA to get in on this or will there be a place for us lowly bastards to contact ya'll? Thanks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

nzb.su invite up for grabs, 4th PM gets it.

Jonny Quest got it, sorry lads.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

spathi-wa posted:

The message shows that it's running out of "268435456 bytes" which is 256MB. I think the memory_limit change didnt 'take'.

Did you restart the webserver after making this change?

Turns out i changed /etc/php5/php.ini, but neglected to change /etc/php5/cli/php.ini. Changed memory_limit to '-1' and it's working fine now.

Chick3n posted:

I'm getting the same error. My install was fine until a recent SVN update.

I know mine is only set to 256mb, but it was never an issue before. I've increased it to 512 to see how if that fixes it.

I've not updated newznab since i originally installed it a month ago. Is it worth grabbing new versions from their SVN regularly? I haven't found any sign of a changelog anywhere, and would be interested to see what's being changed/improved.

I must say, this memory error is troubling me a little bit. My newznab install is almost exactly a month old, and it seems to have outgrown it's original 256mb memory limit. Is the memory requirement going to keep on growing over time? I'm only running this from a relatively modest virtual machine with 2gb memory allocated. I'm concerned that, in six months time, I'll be getting more failed updates, except I won't be able to expand the memory further to accommodate.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Huh, nzb.su seems to be giving 5 invites a week now, so there'll be plenty to go around. The other 4 guys that PM'd me and missed out, check your inboxes!

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

monkeybounce posted:

Didn't the author just clone the original CouchPotato and then modify it for Headphones? It's basically a broken piece of software cloned from a broken piece of software.

I don't know what that means since CouchPotato has never failed to work for me. Either the original or the new one, they've both done a pretty decent job.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
In regards to these nzb.su invites going around, are you essentially required to pay for VIP once you're in, or do they still have decent free accounts?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Telex posted:

I don't know what that means since CouchPotato has never failed to work for me. Either the original or the new one, they've both done a pretty decent job.

Yeah, CP has been pretty solid for me for months. The UI is kinda stupid, but it works.

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

Gromit posted:

In regards to these nzb.su invites going around, are you essentially required to pay for VIP once you're in, or do they still have decent free accounts?

Not 100% sure but I think they're free and you can buy VIP. The free accounts are no API, but you can download the nzb from the site.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Invite for nzb.su, 3rd PM gets it.

E: gone to fattypigfatty.

kill your idols, spamming my inbox with PMs is a nice way to get DQed.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 2, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Roving Reporter posted:

kill your idols, spamming my inbox with PMs is a nice way to get DQed.

oh noooo not DQ'ed whatever are they gonna do now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Whats the goon's server status?

I'm having sickbeard throwing error codes that it cannot find the indexer for about a week. Thinking of cancelling super news until something easy comes up.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've been using fastusenet.org for its connections and retention, but it looks like retention is spotty because I tend to get incompletes/errors on a lot of downloads (maybe 1 in 10?) ranging from two weeks old to three years old.

What's the best provider now in terms of number of connections and retention? Block or subscription is fine with me.

Also, if the goon newznab server ever starts up, I'm in.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Nitr0 posted:

oh noooo not DQ'ed whatever are they gonna do now.

It was 3rd person. No one said I couldn't be ALL 3. :cop:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

tarepanda posted:

I've been using fastusenet.org for its connections and retention, but it looks like retention is spotty because I tend to get incompletes/errors on a lot of downloads (maybe 1 in 10?) ranging from two weeks old to three years old.

Usually you don't need 50 connections, less than 20 would cover even a very fast broadband.
They are Readnews reseller, this kind of retention is typical for other major providers, so whatever appeals to you in the first post suggestions, I guess.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm on 160 mbit, so...

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

tarepanda posted:

I'm on 160 mbit, so...

/ 8 = 20 MB? Nice, but I believe it will be covered.
Alternatively you may try to get a block account (like BlockNews or Astraweb) in addition to your current plan and set it up as a backup. This way I almost never have to deal with repair or broken files.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I'm using a very old build of Sickbeard (build 487) on a WHS system.

If i install over it with a new version, will it still keep my old settings?

Do i have to backup config files? And if so, where are they located?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, CP has been pretty solid for me for months. The UI is kinda stupid, but it works.

I was referring to the original version. Had all sorts of issues with usability, finding things, and just keeping track of what it was doing. It would snatch and rename, but not realize it did it and snatch again. There used to be tons of posts in their forums with people making the same complaints.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

yotoc posted:

Not 100% sure but I think they're free and you can buy VIP. The free accounts are no API, but you can download the nzb from the site.

Thanks. I don't use the API anyway so that's cool. I was an old free user that got purged, so I'll keep an eye out.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
The invite's gone.

Soup in a Bag fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 2, 2013

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Mister Fister posted:

I'm using a very old build of Sickbeard (build 487) on a WHS system.

If i install over it with a new version, will it still keep my old settings?

Do i have to backup config files? And if so, where are they located?

config.ini is usually in the install directory, not sure on windows systems though. Just backup the whole thing as it's pretty small and upgrade.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Welp. Cox just doubled my internet speed for the same price to 50Mbps. :stare: I was wondering for a moment why SABnzbd was broken and showing downloads at 6.2 MBps.

Used 5 connections with Supernews, seems to work quite well. So you really don't need a million connections.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

PirateDentist posted:

Welp. Cox just doubled my internet speed for the same price to 50Mbps. :stare: I was wondering for a moment why SABnzbd was broken and showing downloads at 6.2 MBps.

Used 5 connections with Supernews, seems to work quite well. So you really don't need a million connections.

Which plan were you on? I'm in Southern California and havnt noticed any increase.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

visuvius posted:

Which plan were you on? I'm in Southern California and havnt noticed any increase.

Premier. I'm in the Phoenix area, it shows as 50 Mbps on the Arizona Cox page, but 25 still on the California page. Maybe it's a slow rollout or just a regional change? Ultimate advertises as 150 Mbps now.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
I'm starting to find out that once you get past a certain point it depends less on your connection speed/number of connections and more the quality of peering arrangement your ISP has with whatever news provider you're subscribing to, and how saturated your local node is.

Shaw, for instance, directly peers with Astraweb, but of course they'll never tell you that directly if you call them on the phone. I'm also running their 250mbit internet, and I've SEEN it max out, but only briefly and during extremely off-primetime hours. (I've got the higher speeds strictly for the upload)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I still have 3 2 1 invite left for nzb.su, first come first served.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 2, 2013

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

snip

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I read pages of bitching about missing articles on Astraweb, but after a few weeks on Supernews' I'm convinced that you're all high as gently caress. I never wanted a backup block plan on AW, but it looks like it will be necessary on SN.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Ashex posted:

config.ini is usually in the install directory, not sure on windows systems though. Just backup the whole thing as it's pretty small and upgrade.

thanks

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

tarepanda posted:

I'm on 160 mbit, so...

Before I downgraded to 30mbit (I realized that I'm hardly ever just sitting there waiting on a download) I maxed out my 100mbit with 18 connections.

In other words don't just assume you need more connections.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Loucks posted:

I read pages of bitching about missing articles on Astraweb, but after a few weeks on Supernews' I'm convinced that you're all high as gently caress. I never wanted a backup block plan on AW, but it looks like it will be necessary on SN.

Why don't you just go back to Astraweb if you only left because they changed CC processors? :confused:

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

moron posted:

I've not updated newznab since i originally installed it a month ago. Is it worth grabbing new versions from their SVN regularly? I haven't found any sign of a changelog anywhere, and would be interested to see what's being changed/improved.

I'm not sure really. I only did it because I hadn't upgraded in a while and wanted to see what was new.

The biggest change I've seen was the removal of all the standard themes (I was using the nzbs.org clone) and the new theme Baffi being added, which actually looks quite nice. https://github.com/Frikish/Baffi-Theme--Newznab- has screenshots of the theme.

They've also edited update_binaries_threaded to add a customizable delay so that you can lower CPU usage.

I haven't seen an official changelog anywhere either. You can use svn2cl to create one though.

Ronald Duck fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Thermopyle posted:

Before I downgraded to 30mbit (I realized that I'm hardly ever just sitting there waiting on a download) I maxed out my 100mbit with 18 connections.

In other words don't just assume you need more connections.

FWIW I'm on ~120mbit and I've found I need 40+ connections to max it out, though it's probably due to the distance between Giganews and Australia.