Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ImpAtom posted:

The new "Kazuma Kiryu" filter which replaces the protagonist of any PS3 game with Kiryu!

This would move the Dead Space series to the top of my backlog instantly.

Also, I would love to see what Catherine would be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Code Jockey posted:

This would move the Dead Space series to the top of my backlog instantly.

Also, I would love to see what Catherine would be like.
I'm pretty sure he'd take one look at Catherine, politely excuse himself, punch a dude on the way to the door, and go find the nearest karaoke bar.

... which would be a hell of a lot more compelling than another 10 hours of Qbert.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

God of War: Ascension got itself a pretty neat live-action trailer.

E: And 30 minutes of singleplayer gameplay.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 1, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That trailer sure is something. The PSP games made me think of Kratos as a pretty sympathetic character who definitely has reasons to hate the gods. Then I remember GoW2 and 3 and what a piece of poo poo he is. The games have gotten pretty stale and the stories are not much more than "everyone's an rear end in a top hat, everyone suffers". They will have to do something pretty radical to make me interested in playing this.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I felt like everything was building up to all the stuff that happens in GOW3. Because they sort of went over the top designing and making that game, I have almost no desire to even buy Ascension, unless it has some SUPER cool parts and it drops to $30.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Sweet Jesus that looks loving incredible :aaa:

Here was me thinking Metal Gear Rising was bonkers, but then Sony Santa Monica just rolls this out and it looks crazy as hell :psyduck: Also loving all the grotesque body horror stuff in that gameplay demo :swoon:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I was watching that and from beginning to end I was thinking who does insane setpiece moments better than the God of War series and could not think of an answer. Some of that stuff was insane.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

After watching that video I can understand why it's taken them so long to make a follow-up to God of War 3, because the amount of work it must have taken to do all the cool and ridiculous poo poo in that video is mind boggling. I mean it looks fantastic, but I kept thinking "How the hell did they do that?!" so many times. They're definitely the king of insane setpieces but the game looks fun as hell regardless :D

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Am I really bad at searching or is there no thread for God of War or Last of Us?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

Am I really bad at searching or is there no thread for God of War or Last of Us?

Not that I've seen. We're probably about due for a GoW one as the game is 6 weeks away now.

And that video makes me not worry about not being able to get a PS4 right away. The PS3 can still release some stunning games and will be supported for a few years to come.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
GoW:A looks pretty enjoyable, I enjoyed playing 3 too, but like a good popcorn movie, as soon as I was finished most of it faded from my memory.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Am I the only one excited for Sly 4 next week? I just watched a 2-hour IGN playthrough with some of the devs on YouTube, and not only did the game look great, but they sounded really passionate about the series, and wanting to be able to take advantage of next-gen hardware without revamping it into something totally unfamiliar. They also talked about how they consider the PS2 the golden age of the brand, something which I agree with.

The fact that Sony's selling the game at a budget price has me thinking they may not have much confidence in modern audiences for a platformer that isn't Mario or Sonic. I really hope it does okay.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Behonkiss posted:

Am I the only one excited for Sly 4 next week? I just watched a 2-hour IGN playthrough with some of the devs on YouTube, and not only did the game look great, but they sounded really passionate about the series, and wanting to be able to take advantage of next-gen hardware without revamping it into something totally unfamiliar. They also talked about how they consider the PS2 the golden age of the brand, something which I agree with.

The fact that Sony's selling the game at a budget price has me thinking they may not have much confidence in modern audiences for a platformer that isn't Mario or Sonic. I really hope it does okay.

I thought the demo was fun, but it felt a little...slow. Like it felt like the Sly Cooper game but the flow seemed off. Still, it's only $40 one release for some reason and if you get a share it will be $20 and that's a hard to resist price.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

axleblaze posted:

Still, it's only $40 one release for some reason and if you get a share it will be $20 and that's a hard to resist price.

And you get the Vita version for free, so it's got my support (even if I don't have a Vita yet). Probably worth $40, definitely worth $20 in a share.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Is there a reason my controller turns itself off whenever I load or quite Vice city? Is it a Ps2 emulation thing?

It's not a problem, I just turn it right back on and the game itself runs flawlessly so far. Just seems an odd thing to happen.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Spalec posted:

Is there a reason my controller turns itself off whenever I load or quite Vice city? Is it a Ps2 emulation thing?

It's not a problem, I just turn it right back on and the game itself runs flawlessly so far. Just seems an odd thing to happen.

Pretty sure this is an emulation thing. The same thing happens to me when playing Persona 3: FES.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
God of War looks like great mindless button-mashing fun as usual. Definitely going to pick it up once it drops down a little in price (unless the multiplayer is some incredibly revolutionary new kind of online fighting game.)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think God of War Ascension's multiplayer will end up being very similar to Anarchy Reigns, for better or worse.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

axleblaze posted:

I thought the demo was fun, but it felt a little...slow. Like it felt like the Sly Cooper game but the flow seemed off. Still, it's only $40 one release for some reason and if you get a share it will be $20 and that's a hard to resist price.

That's exactly how I felt. Sly felt just a bit sluggish, but it still felt good. Those rat enemies are jerks, but that's probably just because they had a projectile attack. It just sucks that I'm not getting it because I already have a dozen games I need to finish.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Eleeleth posted:

Pretty sure this is an emulation thing. The same thing happens to me when playing Persona 3: FES.

Yep, same here with P3:FES, and I think it did it with Odin Sphere as well. Those are the only classics I own so far [I know I know I'll buy God Hand too]

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I've been considering buying ME1 and replaying through the mass effect series on the ps3. Anyone know if saves from ME1 transfer to ME2?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

tensai posted:

I've been considering buying ME1 and replaying through the mass effect series on the ps3. Anyone know if saves from ME1 transfer to ME2?

I believe that's the whole point. Only on the same platform though iirc. So no PC>PS3 or 360>PC transfers.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The save does transfer, but be prepared. Mass Effect 1 is borderline unplayable on PS3.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Jesus, just finished Episode 5 of TWD.

So, is it right that all outcomes are the same, it's just the choices in me getting there that are difficult? Basically, I want to know if I could've saved Kenny or if there was anything that happened if I had chosen for Clementine to shoot me (I had her save bullets).

edit: oh poo poo, there's an epilogue, did Clem just pick up a bullet?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Jesus, just finished Episode 5 of TWD.

So, is it right that all outcomes are the same, it's just the choices in me getting there that are difficult? Basically, I want to know if I could've saved Kenny or if there was anything that happened if I had chosen for Clementine to shoot me (I had her save bullets).
Its best not to dwell on TWD that much, the game really falls apart if you try to analyze it. The game is very effective at presenting the illusion of choice, but it is just an illusion.

To answer your questions specifically though: no, and yes.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I don't think it "falls apart" at all. I just think that your choices are reflected in the tone of the story, rather than the events. The path itself doesn't split as much as some would like, but the path itself is wider, at least in the way you can experience the content on the path. Frankly I'm happier with that anyhow -- it means I'm not going to miss wide swaths of story (I rarely have time to replay games a bunch of times), and a smaller developer like Telltale can focus on creating a longer, better story rather than worrying about covering a dozen dozen branching paths. Even if we ended up in more or less the same place in TWD (and got there in more or less the same way), my experience of the game could still have been quite different than yours. (A phenomenon sharply displayed by the range of interactions people had with Kenny, and what they thought of him throughout.)

I may be the only person who doesn't go crazy over how awesome player choice is in general, though, so it could just be me.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
When did they take Sons Of Liberty HD off of PSN? :smith:

I bought Snake Eater HD last month and wanted to replay this. I have to go to Gamestop for Guns Of The Patriots, but that is understandable because the download would be 40+ gigs.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
TWD is such a great experience on its own that I don't care about the lack of big branching narrative parts. Heavy Rain had a lot of that, but the plot wasn't nearly as good, and the opinion on that seems a lot lower around here than TWD as a result.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cyra posted:

Mass Effect 1 is borderline unplayable on PS3.
This isn't remotely true, the game's fine.

There's some awful slow down and the load times stink because they're hard coded into the elevator scenes, but these were issues in the 360 version too.

vvv You absolutely can, it's awful. It's a problem with the game itself and not the PS3 version in particular though. I don't think that makes it borderline unplayable on any system, even if the game itself feels clunky.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 2, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Can I get up and make a sandwich during the loading screens between areas?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
There is definitely a hard coded story in The Walking Dead, but do not let that put you off of it. It's easily one of my favorite experiences in video gaming, but I say that as a former reader of the comics, so I like the universe. I played it on the 360, so I don't know if the PS3 version has software problems, but that game is a great time, and I say that having absolutely minimal experience with Adventure games (the only other one I've beaten being L.A. Noire).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Wow, I had no idea I was so close to the end of Arkham City. I still have so many riddler trophies to get, and I think I screwed myself out of doing some of the sidequests now. Which confuses me, because it seemed like a couple sidequests were supposed to be popping up as the game progressed, but I guess I was supposed to be actively running around and seeking them out to make them appear?

So now I have a ton of unfinished stuff to do. Does New Game+ carry over your mission progress at all, or just your upgrades?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Jamesman posted:

Wow, I had no idea I was so close to the end of Arkham City. I still have so many riddler trophies to get, and I think I screwed myself out of doing some of the sidequests now. Which confuses me, because it seemed like a couple sidequests were supposed to be popping up as the game progressed, but I guess I was supposed to be actively running around and seeking them out to make them appear?

So now I have a ton of unfinished stuff to do. Does New Game+ carry over your mission progress at all, or just your upgrades?

Upgrades and riddler trophies and stuff, you have to repeat the quests.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
k, then I guess I really do have to actively seek out stuff to make it happen. Which is weird, because one sidequest progressed when I was halfway across the map from it. Guess NG+ will be done with an FAQ opened.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Actually, thinking about it I'm not sure but I think NG+ is only to get the riddler trophies and side quests you missed during regular play, no missions.

It's been a while since I played that, what I'm sure is that riddler trophies, upgrades and stuff like that carries on.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't believe there are any sidequests in AA that are missable. They can all be done in the post game. Some can be annoying to activate but I don't think anything gets locked out.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
NG+ is different from just hitting Continue Game and doing whatever you haven't done.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, I can keep playing my current game after beating the story? I thought since they added this New Game+ business, I would get locked out of completing whatever was left to complete, so I've been running around collecting Riddler trophies while everything is currently going to poo poo around me, which is actually quite a pain in the rear end. Good to know I can finish the story and then wrap everything else up when (hopefully?) things aren't so insane.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Oh, I can keep playing my current game after beating the story? I thought since they added this New Game+ business, I would get locked out of completing whatever was left to complete, so I've been running around collecting Riddler trophies while everything is currently going to poo poo around me, which is actually quite a pain in the rear end. Good to know I can finish the story and then wrap everything else up when (hopefully?) things aren't so insane.

Yeah, you can run around to your hearts content after you beat the game and it's not nearly as crazy (though they do put a few giant battles in places you'll end up revisiting). In fact you can't complete Catwoman's story until after you beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Persona 3: Holy poo poo gently caress the Stasis Giants on floor 180. I've thrown everything I can imagine at them, but they're just too hard. Been stuck on them for hours now, I keep going and playing with different fusions or trying different tactics, nothing at all is working. I can't damage them enough before they manage to spam Blade of Fury or whatever enough to whack my entire party. :argh:

I'm able to cream anything at all up to this point without much problem, but those things are proving to be troublesome.

e. Hahaha nevermind looked up tips on this and I am now invincible to everything they do, I love this game

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 3, 2013

• Locked thread