Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

joe123456 posted:

I hear that other than the RSO they typically aren't liked much.

What do you mean? Only the RSO is disliked more than a new GSO or only the RSO likes the GSO?

I definitely like to keep the GSO happy...I once worked with a GSO that was a wretched S.O.B. and it made my job very difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Bruxism posted:

What do you mean? Only the RSO is disliked more than a new GSO or only the RSO likes the GSO?

I definitely like to keep the GSO happy...I once worked with a GSO that was a wretched S.O.B. and it made my job very difficult.

If you have any portion of Management and RSO that's not playing well together, it will make life very difficult on the Embassy community.

Due to my job, I normally work with the RSO office on a few things, and I generally have several close friends in the office. This is mutually beneficial for both of our offices. At both of my posts, neither the RSO office or GSO office had a bad reputation.

From what I’ve seen, senior management really sets the tone of the Mission. If the Ambassador, DCM, MGT Counselor, MGT Officer are all on the same sheet of music and good at their jobs, generally, moral will be high. When you start having clouded vision at the top, it can filter down and make it harder for IM, MED, GSO, Finance, Facilities, etc. to do their job well. Below is a very broad, and simplified overview, but you can see where morale could be impacted if one section isn’t doing their job.

To be able to talk/communicate to anybody you need IRM
To be able to buy, get anything (including your personal stuff), you need GSO
To have the funds to buy anything, you need Finance
To have physical space that’s habitable (both at work and home), you need Facilities
To have your dip credentials, EFM employment, and supervision of staff, you need HR.
To be able to go to your onward assignment, get medical assistance, etc. you need MED.
If you’re having problems with any of the above, you need Management.

To be able to do anything (a lot of this is transparent, but they are involved in a lot of things), you generally need RSO to sign off on it.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I was told, in sort of stereotypical terms:

"possession is 9/10ths the law" ; GSO (and FMO, who work together with GSO here at post) has the property. You want anything? Gotta go through them.

Want to get paid? Be nice to H.R., cause they work well with Finance.

RSO are the lawmen with the nickel-slick badges and the guns. It's common sense not to piss them off, they can ruin your day pretty easily.

On the other end:

Be nice to GSO and FMO, and you might find your life comfortable.

Be nice to HR, and suddenly your payments are on time and vouchers processed correctly.

Be nice to the RSO and you'll find life at post significantly easier, or have some fun field trips.

tl; dr: Don't be a jerk, but learn a sense of humor or how to recognize one. Being snarky (ala BOF earlier) is not being a jerk.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
The GSO is definitely the DMV of the State Department, but most of the people in ours are pretty cool.

e: People with no IT background in charge of interfacing with vendors and ordering IT equipment is definitely a thing.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 31, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

joe123456 posted:

Any advice for new GSOs? I hear that the RSO is typically the most hated at the embassy with the GSO not far behind. On the other hand I heard from a management officer filling a GSO job..."if the GSO is not happy, the embassy isn't happy. If the GSO is happy the embassy is happy."

There are a million reasons to hate GSOs, because the things they deal with are almost always the things that drive people batty.... "where's my car, where's my HHE, my motor pool driver never came, my house is on fire again," etc.

There are far fewer reasons to hate on RSO. If you're an American reporting officer, it's probably because of a travel restriction. If you're an Econ officer, it's probably because he's making you attend OSAC meetings. If you're not (EFM or local staff), it's probably because you hosed up. (Little known secret: I've been told by several DS personnel that RSOs are the key to firing people that you can't find a performance-based way to fire.) Most RSOs that I know are really chill.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

There are a million reasons to hate GSOs, because the things they deal with are almost always the things that drive people batty.... "where's my car, where's my HHE, my motor pool driver never came, my house is on fire again," etc.

I laughed.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

There are a million reasons to hate GSOs, because the things they deal with are almost always the things that drive people batty.... "where's my car, where's my HHE, my motor pool driver never came, my house is on fire againthe wiring in my house is so low budget, describing it as a firetrap is an insult to spontaneously combusting dwellings everywhere," etc.

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009

problematique posted:

Did you submit the eqip last time you held on to it?

I'd previously submitted an SF-86 a year ago for an unrelated thing and when I logged in to redo it for State all the information was magically already there.

That being said, ALWAYS save archival copies of anything you submit or do with the government. Taxes, investigations, medical records. Things will be lost or needed again.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite what an eqip is. It was a big fat stack of papers that detailed all my past travel and foreign contacts that the State Department required me to fill out for my secret clearance. I mailed it in to some agency. Is it OPM that handles this stuff? Its been so long that I don't remember all these acronyms!

EDIT - Ah, now I remember, I did fill it out online on E-QIP, and then printed it out.

Gumog fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 31, 2013

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Gumog, E-QIP is the digital online version of what you did.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
OPM administrates the e-QIP site; the Defense Security Service (DSS - not to be confused with Diplomatic Security Service) Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO) adjudicates clearance applications, but OPM performs the actual investigations. It's a little odd, but basically the process goes like this:

SF86 and application for clearance submitted in e-QIP --> application information validated by DISCO (including fingerprint cards, etc.) --> application forwarded to OPM for background investigation --> OPM completes background investigation, returns application to DISCO for adjudication --> DISCO reviews findings and issues a final determination (clearance granted or denied).

edit: this is the normal process. Not sure who does initial verification for State but DS does the background check.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Yeah. Thanks for clarifying me

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 31, 2013

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

HiroProtagonist posted:

OPM administrates the e-QIP site; the Defense Security Service (DSS - not to be confused with Diplomatic Security Service) Defense Industrial Security Clearance Office (DISCO) adjudicates clearance applications, but OPM performs the actual investigations. It's a little odd, but basically the process goes like this:

SF86 and application for clearance submitted in e-QIP --> application information validated by DISCO (including fingerprint cards, etc.) --> application forwarded to OPM for background investigation --> OPM completes background investigation, returns application to DISCO for adjudication --> DISCO reviews findings and issues a final determination (clearance granted or denied).

Pretty sure this is not the way it's done at State (after the OPM part).

E: I can't wait until I'm off the employee association. Just when we put out one fire, another pops up. It's like being GSO, but as a volunteer.

TCD fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 31, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

TCD posted:

E: I can't wait until I'm off the employee association. Just when we put out one fire, another pops up.

Speaking of fires.... they finally installed our AVR so hopefully we're fire-free now.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

HiroProtagonist posted:

edit: this is the normal process. Not sure who does initial verification for State but DS does the background check.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Yeah. Thanks for clarifying me

I think that's basically correct except replace DISCO with State DSS.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Crazy world... stay safe dudes.

Bad day for us in Ankara :(

TCD fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 1, 2013

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

TCD posted:

Crazy world... stay safe dudes.

Bad day for us in Ankara :(

gently caress. Two killed. Photos of attacks...

http://dawn.com/2013/02/01/explosion-in-front-of-us-embassy-in-ankara-wounds-several-tv/

problematique fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 1, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
drat.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gently caress terrorists. gently caress terrorists. gently caress terrorists.

As an alumna of Mission Turkey, let me give you a brief run down of our last decade.

July 2003: CG Istanbul moves to its new fortress-on-a-hill location because our historic location (second-oldest USG-owned property abroad) was deemed to be a death trap if someone wanted to attack it.
November 2003: AQ goes on a bombing spree in Istanbul, taking out two synagogues, the HSBC headquarters for Turkey, and the British consulate, killing nearly 60 people at/around the CG, including the Consul General. We were the original target, but our former neighbors down the street were second choice once we moved. Many of our British colleagues move into our large Consulate for several weeks to continue work while their facility was repaired.
July 2008: Three AQ-affiliated gunmen try to storm CG Istanbul. Due to the fact that they can't read a topo map and, more importantly, our Turkish National Police guard force outside the wire is awesome, they were killed before they even got to our main parking lot. Three TNP officers were killed defending us.
October 2009: Several shots were fired at Consulate Adana. Rumored to be AQ affiliates who did it, but I can't remember the resolution of the attack.
Every goddamned month for the last decade: Mission Turkey has screamed for a new Embassy compound in Ankara, because the one we have is cramped, unsecure, and in poor physical condition. Our paymasters have patted us on the head and said "That's nice, wait for the money to come in next year's budget."

And now this. As best as I can tell, one local guard was killed (maybe two?), and a Turkish journalist who'd come to interview for a job with us was severely injured. The sick gently caress who did this died in the attack. The GOT has identified him as being a member of DHKP-C or DevSol, a leftist/Marxist group that's been banned in Turkey and is on the US list of terrorist organizations abroad.

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010
I was not happy to hear about this. My heart goes out to all affected by this and all things like this.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
This business in Turkey sucks. I hope the RSO's are putting in extra safety measures already.

I wish I didn't have to post a question after a terrorist attack on an embassy, but this loving world, I guess.

I'm in the process of interviewing for new jobs right now, and one of them that I like involves work with classified material, and hence if I came on board, I'd be upgrading my Secret to TS.

That lead me to a slightly more hypothetical question, which is, if I so happened to get a job that required a TS/SCI, would that satisfy that requirement for my future DS application?

The clearance process comes after the difficult part in the DS recruitment process (as I see it, at least) anyway, but it'd be nice to check something off the list in advance regardless. I figure there's a good chance that DS would like to do a reinvestigation regardless of my current clearance status, but there's also a chance that a TS/SCI would pass muster where lower clearances wouldn't, whether or not DS did the background investigation.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'm in the process of interviewing for new jobs right now, and one of them that I like involves work with classified material, and hence if I came on board, I'd be upgrading my Secret to TS.

That lead me to a slightly more hypothetical question, which is, if I so happened to get a job that required a TS/SCI, would that satisfy that requirement for my future DS application?

Unless your TS/SCI clearance was issued to you while working with the Department of State, you will probably have to do it all over again. It will probably happen quickly though if you already hold that level of clearance in another organization.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I just got an email from PSIExams telling me that my FSOT on 2/5 got canceled. Their website doesn't list a customer service number and I thought this was administered by ACT...not to mention that this seems like an odd way to tell me. Anyone having the same issue?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Red Crown posted:

I just got an email from PSIExams telling me that my FSOT on 2/5 got canceled. Their website doesn't list a customer service number and I thought this was administered by ACT...not to mention that this seems like an odd way to tell me. Anyone having the same issue?

Aren't you supposed to be going into the Navy or something?

Global Critter
Nov 10, 2012
First week of 128th FSS Class in the books!

Skandiaavity - Were you in the 125th? CDO gave us a list of previous IMS assignments....

joe123456
Jan 28, 2013
Any word on the March FSS class?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Global Critter posted:

First week of 128th FSS Class in the books!

Skandiaavity - Were you in the 125th? CDO gave us a list of previous IMS assignments....

Yeah. Was it J.S? Tell her Hi, doing pretty well in Manila. It's a good first post, for everything considered under the job descriptions. Is Paula still doing orientation or did you get someone else?

(edit: sucks, real bad, about Ankara. I heard 2 DOS servicemen died (via reuters)? was that confirmed yet?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Skandiaavity posted:

(edit: sucks, real bad, about Ankara. I heard 2 DOS servicemen died (via reuters)? was that confirmed yet?

It looks like it was a member of the Local Guard Force. They are local nationals hired to work the outer perimeter. More of these guys get killed than people realize.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Just got back from my OA in DC.
Add one more IMS-wannabe Goon who passed. On to the medical and security hoop!
My sincere condolences to those effected by the attack in Ankara.

SCRwM fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 2, 2013

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Ah, LGF.. That sucks. Those guys work so hard, too. I don't think a lot of people realize what sacrifices they make sometimes. America isn't always liked everywhere, so they put up with a lot of poo poo for a paycheck.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

SCRwM posted:

Just got back from my OA in DC.
Add one more IMS-wannabe Goon who passed. On to the medical and security hoop!
My sincere condolences to those effected by the attack in Ankara.

Congrats! I think we're in the same vacancy, I passed the Jan 7th OA., I'm at , had a question for ya...

HiroProtagonist posted:

This business in Turkey sucks. I hope the RSO's are putting in extra safety measures already.

I wish I didn't have to post a question after a terrorist attack on an embassy, but this loving world, I guess.

The clearance process comes after the difficult part in the DS recruitment process (as I see it, at least) anyway, but it'd be nice to check something off the list in advance regardless. I figure there's a good chance that DS would like to do a reinvestigation regardless of my current clearance status, but there's also a chance that a TS/SCI would pass muster where lower clearances wouldn't, whether or not DS did the background investigation.

I wouldn't worry about hypotheticals over steps in the process you have no control over. A lot of clearance stuff is opaque and doesn't make sense. Just take it step by step.

problematique fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 15, 2013

Global Critter
Nov 10, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

Yeah. Was it J.S? Tell her Hi, doing pretty well in Manila. It's a good first post, for everything considered under the job descriptions. Is Paula still doing orientation or did you get someone else?

Yep...it was J.S. We have extremes on both ends of the spectrum on our list so Manila sounds like a good compromise right about now.

Paula is still running it and she is quiet the trip!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

psydude posted:

Aren't you supposed to be going into the Navy or something?

Long story, I probably will be commissioning as a Marine (:colbert:), but there's enough of a chance of a bullshit medical issue getting in the way that I'm looking into plan Bs.

Problem solved: Turns out it was an isolated issue with my testing center.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Red Crown posted:

Long story, I probably will be commissioning as a Marine (:colbert:), but there's enough of a chance of a bullshit medical issue getting in the way that I'm looking into plan Bs.

The FS is an excellent—even preferable—alternative for people who have medical issues keeping them from commissioning in the Marine Corps. I speak from first-hand experience.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
BOF: Echoing that, I was DQ'ed before I was even considered. :(

Global Critter - Wow, Manila's on your bid list? Man. That was quick. Can I ask where else was on your list?

J.S. is good people. When making your bid list rationale, try to make it as clear/concise as possible. (Pay attention to Dan when he talks about writing in orientation, it's pretty much critical to the job regardless of cone)

The dynamic in Manila is key, all the IM staff here love it. You definitely will get a good range on all of your IMS skills, although not immediately. So if you learn the hard way (or prefer to), Manila's not the best place to start out. Post-to-Go is very outdated FYI, but I can answer any questions you have.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Business of Ferrets posted:

The FS is an excellent—even preferable—alternative for people who have medical issues keeping them from commissioning in the Marine Corps. I speak from first-hand experience.

Yeah, after being medically discharged from the Army, I did something of the same route. And State is paying to fly me back to Washington to go see a specialist for one of my medical issues. MED is not a perfect agency (which I can attest to) but they are miles apart from DoD's non-emergency medical support services.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

Diplomaticus posted:

Yeah, after being medically discharged from the Army, I did something of the same route. And State is paying to fly me back to Washington to go see a specialist for one of my medical issues. MED is not a perfect agency (which I can attest to) but they are miles apart from DoD's non-emergency medical support services.

Speaking of MED, how do you guys handle things like Dr's visits/dentist overseas? I'm guessing if the Embassy has a MED department you could go to them (?) or do you just deal with the local Dr/dentist? Or do you just plan a trip back to the States once a year to take care of things?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

SCRwM posted:

Speaking of MED, how do you guys handle things like Dr's visits/dentist overseas? I'm guessing if the Embassy has a MED department you could go to them (?) or do you just deal with the local Dr/dentist? Or do you just plan a trip back to the States once a year to take care of things?

Basically those three things, in that order, as needed and as available.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
all of the above.

usually you go see MED, if you have one. if not you go to the local doctor.

if the care isn't adequate you see MED and they issue you a medevac to the nearest best-quality care around.

but the U.S. has some pretty drat good care itself, so some people like to combine home leave visits to take care of that.

Basically, you're covered. The only thing you watch out for is paperwork.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Leaving for my FSOT now. Wish me luck!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, good luck!