Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

wiegieman posted:

For what it's worth, Zack has said that Johnny is just going to get the most annoying power ever.

Up until this latest comic, I was betting it'd be the Sphinx's invisible wall power, but now I can't even fathom what sort of horrible thing he'd unleash upon the world.

Also,

Captain Oblivious posted:

The fact that this comic updates only once a week causes me physical pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Those twitter comics makes me wish we had more Starchman in the main one.

neogeo0823 posted:

Up until this latest comic, I was betting it'd be the Sphinx's invisible wall power, but now I can't even fathom what sort of horrible thing he'd unleash upon the world.

Also,

There's still that plunger with a mutual enemy and a nasty grudge to settle. The bullying potential there is quite vast.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Maduo posted:

There's still that plunger with a mutual enemy and a nasty grudge to settle. The bullying potential there is quite vast.

The plunger spirit could replicate itself; that'd be a pretty annoying power in Johnny's hands.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Infinite Johnny :cry:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Infinite Johnny :allears:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

It's probably worth noting that the comic starts a little slow; the first few pages in particular have very little of the charm that the rest of the comic oozes, both from the art and the writing. By halfway through the first chapter it's in full swing, though, and from then on it's hard to put down!

Basically it is a Good Comic and I want more. All the time. Zack draw the comic.

Seriously, I want to pitch in to try and help Zack be able to quit work(Not school, never quit school) and just work on this. We need to help promote this awesome fantastic comic that's part Calvin and Hobbes, part Earthbound, part Ghostbusters and all Awesome. I want this to be a "thing" like Gunnerkrigg.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Ohhhhh, it updates on Fridays? I've had this comic in my RSS feed for a few months, and up until now I thought it just updated randomly. :v:

Regarding the latest chapter, I have a feeling that, for a chapter titled "Max, Isaac, and the Secret Shortcut", Max and Isaac are going to traverse the shortcut in a single panel and the rest of the chapter will be more fooling around in school. At least, one can only hope.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Okay, so, I'm 17 pages into the first chapter and already this is amazing. This is going to be really, really fun, isn't it?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Roger Explosion posted:

Okay, so, I'm 17 pages into the first chapter and already this is amazing. This is going to be really, really fun, isn't it?

You haven't even met the best character yet. Any of them. Just you wait. Not to be hating on max's family or anything like that but man does paranatural have some amazing characters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wiegieman posted:

For what it's worth, Zack has said that Johnny is just going to get the most annoying power ever.

He already has that power. It's called 'being Johnny'.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

See now I'm liking the plunger idea. Not only is it the silliest drat Tool, but imagine many little Johnny copies, making even littler Johnny copies.

Fractal Johnny. Johnnies all the way down.

Roger Explosion posted:

Man, you don't even know.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Spender mentions in the first chapter somewhere that spectrals can go crazy when they start to see spirits. It's also mentioned that Max's dad is originally from mayview. Is that why he's so weird?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

nael posted:

Spender mentions in the first chapter somewhere that spectrals can go crazy when they start to see spirits. It's also mentioned that Max's dad is originally from mayview. Is that why he's so weird?

Max's Dad is no crazier than any other Mayview resident, which is to say still completely nuts, but I don't he's seeing spirits, otherwise Suzy would also be interviewing ghosts and Johnny would be extorting the Sphinx for small change.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

red plastic cup posted:

Ohhhhh, it updates on Fridays? I've had this comic in my RSS feed for a few months, and up until now I thought it just updated randomly. :v:

Regarding the latest chapter, I have a feeling that, for a chapter titled "Max, Isaac, and the Secret Shortcut", Max and Isaac are going to traverse the shortcut in a single panel and the rest of the chapter will be more fooling around in school. At least, one can only hope.

Honestly, I thought they'd been going through the shortcut ever since they went down the hill, but apparently not! ...not really sure how I got that idea, looking back on it. Oops!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I was rereading it and Max's dad has an "Insolent Children" shirt in the first issue, just like Max's in this chapter. I wonder if he bought matching sets for the whole family. :allears:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, goddammit.

http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-35/

Stupid cliffhangers. That is quite the house though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why are there faces in the darkness in the second last panel? :ohdear:

Also there a few spirits just randomly going through walls in the background in other panels, as you do. I think one's caught another in panel 6. It's a cruel spirit-world.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Why are there faces in the darkness in the second last panel? :ohdear:

Also there a few spirits just randomly going through walls in the background in other panels, as you do. I think one's caught another in panel 6. It's a cruel spirit-world.

Just a school of faces doing, you know, face stuff.

Speaking of faces, Issac is really cementing his position as Third Best Face-Maker in Mayview in panel four there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh hey, they're Night Lamps. Callback!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also after re-reading some earlier, let me get this straight:

So far there are no human superpowers except for the ability to see spirits/ghosts/whatever, and to use their powers in the form of a tool, or directly if they get possessed. All superpowers come from spirits/ghosts.

Every time they use a tool they're slowly bringing the spirit that got trapped inside back to life, and eventually it'll burst out of the tool and they'll have to deal with it again.

Same with mediums, which will probably be very uncomfortable for Isaac the day it happens.

So do tools bind to a single person? Like, Max couldn't use Isabel's book? And for that matter, can they only have one tool at once, or could they go pick up a different one from that storage closet they were keeping all the tools in if they wanted a different power? So if you just happen to first pick up a tool with butterfly-making-powers you're pretty screwed for everything except making dates more romantic and driving your cat nuts? And I guess mediums can't use tools at all whilst they have a spirit in their head, or Isaac would have one to add even more awesome abilities to his array.

Also some but not all ghosts/spirits can touch real world objects that aren't spectrals/tools. That's poltergeisting. Left and the First Day Ghost-Eating-Bat are two examples. Right?

Also, some but not all ghosts have superpowers? Or do they all and PJ is just that lame.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 1, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

MikeJF posted:

So do tools bind to a single person?

That would appear to be the case, yes. I think it's a contract of sorts.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

During the explanation of tools, they said tools needed a suitable host. So maybe it doesn't need a specific individual but not just anyone can use any tool.

Don't forget, though. Even without their tool, spectrals can still shoot colored energy and make sheilds and stuff.

Edit: Does Johnny's accident count as a near life experience so he can see ghosts?

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 1, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThatPazuzu posted:

During the explanation of tools, they said tools needed a suitable host. So maybe it doesn't need a specific individual but not just anyone can use any tool.

Don't forget, though. Even without their tool, spectrals can still shoot colored energy and make sheilds and stuff.

Oh yeah so they do have innate superpowers in the form of their own energy. Okay.

Also Max's energy is lamer because he can't use his as a nightlight.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

MikeJF posted:

So do tools bind to a single person? Like, Max couldn't use Isabel's book? And for that matter, can they only have one tool at once, or could they go pick up a different one from that storage closet they were keeping all the tools in if they wanted a different power? So if you just happen to first pick up a tool with butterfly-making-powers you're pretty screwed for everything except making dates more romantic and driving your cat nuts? And I guess mediums can't use tools at all whilst they have a spirit in their head, or Isaac would have one to add even more awesome abilities to his array.

Zack has actually talked about a lot of this in the comments, IIRC the spirit powers are color-coded. Max can't use Isabel's book, but only because they emit different types of energy. A spectral can use more than one Tool, but then the spirits would have to 'split' the energy that they siphon off to regenerate, which would cause the process to take longer and probably make them pissy at each other. Mediums can use Tools, but would have the same issue.

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
This comic is the best.
Also nominating 'My hair gel liquifies on impact for post-tussle reapplication' for thread title.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Is it bad that I felt :smith: because I thought Johnny legit died?
-Also really hope the sphinx comes back from telling the others Issac shoots lightning.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YES bread posted:

Zack has actually talked about a lot of this in the comments, IIRC the spirit powers are color-coded. Max can't use Isabel's book, but only because they emit different types of energy. A spectral can use more than one Tool, but then the spirits would have to 'split' the energy that they siphon off to regenerate, which would cause the process to take longer and probably make them pissy at each other. Mediums can use Tools, but would have the same issue.

Ahh, so the toolified spirits are actually aware and conscious and spectrals require their cooperation to use the tool power. Interesting.

I mean I can't really see the guy in the plunger being too happy about being used by a human. And when he does regenerate that'd be a bad thing, wouldn't it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Ahh, so the toolified spirits are actually aware and conscious and spectrals require their cooperation to use the tool power. Interesting.

I mean I can't really see the guy in the plunger being too happy about being used by a human. And when he does regenerate that'd be a bad thing, wouldn't it?

There is the threat of that, yeah. The magnet-snake sealed in Max's bat looks like it would be "end of the world" bad if it got out.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

There is the threat of that, yeah. The magnet-snake sealed in Max's bat looks like it would be "end of the world" bad if it got out.

What magnet snake? I just thought he found a baseball bat that already had a ghost in it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThatPazuzu posted:

What magnet snake? I just thought he found a baseball bat that already had a ghost in it.

This magnet snake.

Remember how Isaac hinted that the power of a Tool unlocks after its user encounters the spirit sealed inside? Say hello!

It's worth noting that on the very next page, Max accidentally magnetizes a soda can into a glass door.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThatPazuzu posted:

I guess he's assuming that this thing is a vision of the fully-restored version of the magnet spirit from inside the bat. Makes sense - it's got black spectral energy, and all the debris piled up is made of metal.

Also I think he has the vision the moment the bat-magnet-powers activate - it's in the next comic that a can flings itself at him.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Magnet Snake:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The object labels in this comic are just the best

Take for example what Isaac was buying from the shop before this shortcut shenanigan ensued

SEMI-VEGAN BREAKFAST CHEW

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

Remember how Isaac hinted that the power of a Tool unlocks after its user encounters the spirit sealed inside?

Just went looking, and oh yeah! 'Your' spirit. So they're possessive. And they get communicative with their owners, apparently. Interesting.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Oh, okay, thank you. I never understood what was supposed to be going on in that page.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Wait, am I hallucinating/misremembering/getting different parts of the story mixed up or did that page that was just posted use to have a different, much doofier-looking snake on it?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
The doofy face was here, in chapter one.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

tinaun posted:

The doofy face was here, in chapter one.

Yeah, but that's a totally different snake.

Also, didn't the giant black snake freeze time for a moment there? Or was that supposed to be some sort of I-just-stopped-time-to-say-'hi'! thing? Assuming that time control is a second power that Max's bat has, I wonder how long it'll be until he has access to it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think it was kinda like a vision, so it may have just been a moment that seemed longer than it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Opposing Farce posted:

Wait, am I hallucinating/misremembering/getting different parts of the story mixed up or did that page that was just posted use to have a different, much doofier-looking snake on it?

The chapter 2 title page has a pretty :v: lookin ghost snake on it

http://paranatural.net/chapter-two/