Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Tewratomeh posted:

The Japanese-language books and DVDs and even both of the DS games (in Japanese) pop up on eBay all the time, along with the stray Arino PVC figure. I'm just wondering why you never see a King Plush or... anything else. You see UFO catchers full of those little figures, and not a single one appears online even at a ludicrously-inflated price. Even outside of eBay.

Have you tried looking at Yahoo Auctions? Last I heard that was a lot more popular than eBay in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

That's what my question is really about. Why do they only sell their merchandise at events and not through an online store or licensing to a retailer?
Has anyone in Tokyo ever looked for merch at the Fuji TV complex on Odaiba? I figured if they sold it "normally" anywhere, that'd be the most likely place. (NHK has kiosks in most department stores with all kinds of goodies.) I specifically made plans to stop by Fuji TV last June when I was in Tokyo, but it has pretty conservative hours and had closed by the time I got there. :(

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
It must be so hard for anyone on the set who knows the game to watch Arino play it and not be able to say anything.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Has anyone in Tokyo ever looked for merch at the Fuji TV complex on Odaiba? I figured if they sold it "normally" anywhere, that'd be the most likely place. (NHK has kiosks in most department stores with all kinds of goodies.) I specifically made plans to stop by Fuji TV last June when I was in Tokyo, but it has pretty conservative hours and had closed by the time I got there. :(

I'm planning a trip to Japan for hopefully sometime next year (work permitting) and I was thinking of tracking it down with the same idea. I don't know how much time I'd want to spend in Tokyo, I'm mostly planning on heading north to some of those amazing onsen and sightseeing/wandering around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, guys, there is unofficial Game Center CX merchandise that's available...

Heti posted:

It must be so hard for anyone on the set who knows the game to watch Arino play it and not be able to say anything.

AD Itou the Second has audibly groaned when Arino is about to make a big mistake. I think that was more because he was worried about staying late, though.

We have a new record for the newest game Arino has played on the show. He plays an arcade game in the episode that I'm working on that was released barely three months before the episode airs. It could have been even newer but I think that they didn't shoot the trip segment in the three days between when when the newest hardware revision of this game came out and when the episode aired.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Anime Reference posted:

Have you tried looking at Yahoo Auctions? Last I heard that was a lot more popular than eBay in Japan.

Why'd you have to go and tell me about this? I'm going to spend days lost in Japamart now. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

I'm planning a trip to Japan for hopefully sometime next year (work permitting) and I was thinking of tracking it down with the same idea. I don't know how much time I'd want to spend in Tokyo, I'm mostly planning on heading north to some of those amazing onsen and sightseeing/wandering around.
I've been going to Japan every year since '04, but almost never to Tokyo (by choice). That's why I was so bummed when the place was closed. I consoled myself by watching some of my favorite little GCCX clips on the long train ride back. :shobon: It worked, too: I had to cough to cover my laughter.

I won't get back again until next year...although hey, I just realized the conference I'll be attending is being held in Tokyo Big Sight, which is on Odaiba!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

quakster posted:

Just in case you're not a troll, bpc908, that picture was drawn by a person who posts in this thread and also does most of the SAGCCX subs. :v:

Is there any way I can get in contact with them about making a print of the art? I would love to have it on my wall since it's really awesome.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

You know, guys, there is unofficial Game Center CX merchandise that's available...

AD Itou the Second has audibly groaned when Arino is about to make a big mistake. I think that was more because he was worried about staying late, though.

We have a new record for the newest game Arino has played on the show. He plays an arcade game in the episode that I'm working on that was released barely three months before the episode airs. It could have been even newer but I think that they didn't shoot the trip segment in the three days between when when the newest hardware revision of this game came out and when the episode aired.

Let me preface this by saying: I love Zari-Gani's art. I have two pieces of her work prominently displayed in my home.

I didn't really dig the shirt in the SA-mart thread (which I can't find anymore) and I haven't seen any on other sites that I'd go for (this one I kinda like: http://www.redbubble.com/people/drewwise/works/9173075-kacho-on?p=t-shirt).

I want the Arino statue but its crazy expensive (although it wouldn't be the most expensive toy purchase I've made, drat you Hot Toys!) for what it is, and I'm tempted to make my own using my 3D printer. ZG also got me researching making custom Keshigomu for another GCCX related toy she planted in my head. I have a few more steps to go on making custom fake famicom cartridges that will feature the games from the RGC game. I'm cool with unofficial stuff if it really jumps out at me, believe me.

I want some of the official stuff though to add legitimacy to my collection, and I want stuff that will display well and fit in with all my nerdy crap. I have been sorely tempted to buy the books but I can't read Japanese at all and I haven't been able to determine how much 'art' is in it as opposed to just page after page of text. I want to get the Japanese DVD sets, but they are a bit pricey (the first in the series is almost $100 on eBay) for me right now budgeting for things like comic-con and so on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

I want some of the official stuff though to add legitimacy to my collection, and I want stuff that will display well and fit in with all my nerdy crap. I have been sorely tempted to buy the books but I can't read Japanese at all and I haven't been able to determine how much 'art' is in it as opposed to just page after page of text. I want to get the Japanese DVD sets, but they are a bit pricey (the first in the series is almost $100 on eBay) for me right now budgeting for things like comic-con and so on.

Are all pretty solidly text. There's some pictures in them, of course, and there's a few comics but that isn't the focus of them.

The Japanese DVD's are more cheaply available from Japan than getting them on eBay.

Also, the person who wanted Adventure Island on the show is going to happy tomorrow...

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Random Stranger posted:

Also, the person who wanted Adventure Island on the show is going to happy tomorrow...
:wotwot:
It wasn't me who said it, but I certainly felt that way. :woop: glorious news!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

Let me preface this by saying: I love Zari-Gani's art. I have two pieces of her work prominently displayed in my home.

I didn't really dig the shirt in the SA-mart thread (which I can't find anymore) and I haven't seen any on other sites that I'd go for (this one I kinda like: http://www.redbubble.com/people/drewwise/works/9173075-kacho-on?p=t-shirt).

I want the Arino statue but its crazy expensive (although it wouldn't be the most expensive toy purchase I've made, drat you Hot Toys!) for what it is, and I'm tempted to make my own using my 3D printer. ZG also got me researching making custom Keshigomu for another GCCX related toy she planted in my head. I have a few more steps to go on making custom fake famicom cartridges that will feature the games from the RGC game. I'm cool with unofficial stuff if it really jumps out at me, believe me.

Would definitely be great to have the custom famicom carts. Just something about "owning" a copy of Robot Ninja Haggleman or Rally King, is really appealing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's been a long time since Arino took on a Nintendo platformer. He's improved, but is it enough to beat Yoshi's Island?

This episode is brought to you be zari-gani, the only person to successfully breed dinosaurs in captivity.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 871.65 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

(That's right, we're going up against the Super Bowl tomorrow. Think of it as nerd counter-programming. :v: )

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 2, 2013

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

bpc908 posted:

Would definitely be great to have the custom famicom carts. Just something about "owning" a copy of Robot Ninja Haggleman or Rally King, is really appealing.

The 'hard' part is getting the art for the cart sticker. You can pick up some cheap famicom cartridges on ebay and so on and slap them on. I copied the design for my 3D printer which for the cost of plastic is even cheaper. Mine can fit the actual pcb but I'm toying with the idea of making ones that open to reveal dioramas depicting a scene from the game mighty max/polly pocket style.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Blackchamber posted:

The 'hard' part is getting the art for the cart sticker. You can pick up some cheap famicom cartridges on ebay and so on and slap them on. I copied the design for my 3D printer which for the cost of plastic is even cheaper. Mine can fit the actual pcb but I'm toying with the idea of making ones that open to reveal dioramas depicting a scene from the game mighty max/polly pocket style.

Well you could always get a custom artist to design the cart art and we could find some way of getting them on the actual carts. They are people on Nintendo Age than I know could do custom cart art that looks really professional

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

It's been a long time since Arino took on a Nintendo platformer. He's improved, but is it enough to beat Yoshi's Island?

This episode is brought to you be zari-gani, the only person to successfully breed dinosaurs in captivity.

(That's right, we're going go up against the Super Bowl tomorrow. Think of it as nerd counter-programming. :v: )

Awesome. Bunch of dudebros throwing around a ball ain't got nothing on a middle-aged japanese guy trying to catch a screaming baby with a dinosaur.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yaaay, Yoshi's Island. I would say differently if it were my city's team in the super bowl, but gently caress that bowl; GCCX beats it to bits.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

View torrent stats

Direct Download

(That's right, we're going go up against the Super Bowl tomorrow. Think of it as nerd counter-programming. :v: )

Great to see this episode right before the Super Bowl. Hope Part 2 is before the Big Game. From Baltimore and am a Raven's fan. Lots of fun for Super Bowl weekend. Wish Arino and the staff do a Tecmo Bowl Tournament.

I know that one gameplay video was posted here already, but anymore video links to Metro Cross. Would love to see more gameplay before Arino plays it.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Random Stranger posted:

View torrent stats

Direct Download

(That's right, we're going up against the Super Bowl tomorrow. Think of it as nerd counter-programming. :v: )

A brand new episode? Wwaaahhh? My night just got a whole lot better.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
While they weren't my favorite episodes (I thought they were good, but not as good as something like Parappa), it's nice to see Yoshi's Island get translated so quickly. :)

Random Stranger posted:

You realize you're also going up against the Puppy Bowl, which is crazier and superior to the Super Bowl, right? <:mad:>

joek0 posted:

Wish Arino and the staff do a Tecmo Bowl Tournament.
If they did a Tecmo Bowl or NFL Blitz tournament for an episode or DVD exclusive challenge, I would seriously die a happy man. I know those games are not very likely to appear on the show, especially since I assume Blitz never got a Japanese release, but it would be loving amazing to watch Arino try to figure out football.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Darn, I would probably be more pumped if I didn't already see this translated by Other Translator Who Must Not Be Named. On the other hand, this means that Part 2 isn't far behind, so hooray either way!

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt
New GCCX episode + Superb owl + new Top Gear episode = head asplode

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Thank you people of this thread, you have found me a new favorite show in a period of general death-decay in my tv viewing life, also now I want a 3DS.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Glorious---all caught up with the last few releases at last and we've got some landing up against the big game? You folks do fantastic work indeed.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

I'm probably gonna guess its either the second part to Yoshi's island or something bigger

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I have a translation question. When Arino or Kan says Aka chan Mario, it is translated as Baby Mario. I know for the sake of the translation, that is what it is translated to, but I was wondering. Is the literal translation of Aka chan Mario little red Mario? I know that Aka means red.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Akachan (roughly) means baby. You're thinking of akai, which is red.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Thanks for the Japanese lesson. Picking up little bits and pieces of Japanese when watching the subs. The main phrase other than "Abunai" that I picked up from the show is "mu zu ka shi de" (forgive me if the romanize spelling is wrong, I spelled it phonetically). It means "This is hard.". Being Korean makes picking up an Asian language much easier.

Edit: Found it on google translate. I hear Arino say it alot in the show.

それは難しいです
Sore wa muzukashiidesu
Translate "it is hard" to Japanese

joek0 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 3, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

It's probably muzukashii, which would be difficult. Adding the ne at the end would sorta be the equivalent of adding ", right?" or ", yeah?" to the end, if I recall correctly.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
"ne" in that case ends up being more like "isn't it" but it's more rhetorical than an actual question.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 3, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yeah, sorry, that was what I was trying to get at but not as clearly.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
No big, it's a weird little particle. Saying "ne, ne" is more like "hey!~" or you can use it to agree with something that someone has said or... yeah.

God drat these episodes make me want to re-watch Liar Game and I JUST did a few months ago...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Arino no!

This isn't that kind of show!

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Is this a new narrator for the tamage segment?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yes it is. I think the old one went on maternity leave but then never came back or something like that.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ineffiable posted:

Arino no!

This isn't that kind of show!

How quickly we forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me6mx3-pVRY&t=2574s

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Though the aka part of akachan uses the same kanji as akai. I presume there's some kind of reasoning for this. Japanese! :argh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It does? Well that's weird. Uh.. Babies have a tinge of red to their skin initially? Maybe?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bocc Kob posted:

Though the aka part of akachan uses the same kanji as akai. I presume there's some kind of reasoning for this. Japanese! :argh:

What do babies turn when they cry a lot? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Caitlin posted:

God drat these episodes make me want to re-watch Liar Game and I JUST did a few months ago...

Because they use the music in those segments I always want the person whose barcode loses to fall to their knees and cry out dramatically while the other guy looks on smugly. Liar Game is just too good.