Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I enjoy them, Keep Showing Losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

More death.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats
I really love the rate of the failure updates because it's just often enough to be a thing that could happen, not necessarily something you'd expect so as to be dull, or something that never happened. Really adds to the tension of the hack honestly.

So keep it as is is what I'm saying I suppose.

Gee, I wonder why this question came up at this specific point :downs:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Showing losses is good. If you don't want to slow the pace too much, you could probably just merge losses into the same update as the win (assuming you didn't change your strategy/setup, and it was mostly a matter of bad luck). As in, continue on from the midpoint of the battle with the winning resolution after showing the loss. I guess we would miss some of the ups and downs of seeing one uninterrupted battle, but it would save on giving a complete rundown of the same stage multiple times.

Break
Feb 19, 2011
Continue showing losses.

The frequency you do it now is pretty good, as it happens rarely enough that the game over screen catches me a little off guard every time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I like they way you've been doing it so far. Occasionally showing a loss helps to highlight just how hard this hack is.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

yrF posted:

I dunno about anyone else but I enjoy seeing the game over screen at the end of an update :unsmigghh:

This guy has the right idea. They're sobering and remind people like myself to NOT ATTEMPT THIS GAME WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Schwartzcough posted:

Showing losses is good. If you don't want to slow the pace too much, you could probably just merge losses into the same update as the win (assuming you didn't change your strategy/setup, and it was mostly a matter of bad luck). As in, continue on from the midpoint of the battle with the winning resolution after showing the loss. I guess we would miss some of the ups and downs of seeing one uninterrupted battle, but it would save on giving a complete rundown of the same stage multiple times.

This is probably the best way.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
Hey Prufrock, did you show off the Dragoneer fight? Or were you planning on showing it off at the end of Chapter 3? I just ran into it at Bariaus Valley during Chapter 2 and :cry:

The worst part about it is: I have a thief and he has a Dragon Rod, but there's no way I can steal it because goddamn Immortal flag :argh:

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Hey Prufrock, did you show off the Dragoneer fight? Or were you planning on showing it off at the end of Chapter 3? I just ran into it at Bariaus Valley during Chapter 2 and :cry:

The worst part about it is: I have a thief and he has a Dragon Rod, but there's no way I can steal it because goddamn Immortal flag :argh:

Immortal doesn't make a unit immune to stealing. You mean godamn innate Maintenance :argh:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Both are kind of a kick in the junk.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Before we head into Riovanes and Chapter 4, I'd like to take a minute to ask your opinion, dear readers.

I've been trying to sprinkle in a few episodes that show me losing the fight. How interesting do you all find these? Is is fun and/or helpful to see what can go wrong?

FFT 1.3 is a difficult game, and I do want to convey a sense of that difficulty; I get my fair share of Game Overs even on this, my fourth playthrough. However, I haven't really seen any SSLPs that show the LPer getting stomped (it's more of a video LP thing) and dedicating entire episodes to my failure does slow the rate of progress through the game.

So tell me, please, would you like me to keep showing losses and if so would you like to see more failure episodes or fewer failure episodes?

Oh I would definitely love to see more losses. It's nice to be able for people that want to play this mod to witness and learn from your mistakes.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Archael posted:

reactions like Counter Flood, Counter Throw
What's the damage formula for Counter Throw anyway? I usually use Counter Flood because I love Geomancers but maybe I've been ignoring an alternative "reaction skill that can damage" source I could have used...

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.

Davzz posted:

What's the damage formula for Counter Throw anyway?

Same as Throw Stone:

Damage = (Random Value between 1 ... 4) * PA
100% Knockback

I think the Wiki picture lists it as 1...3 but I believe that's old data.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Counter Throw sounds really bad by the way, but it's actually surprisingly versatile as its range appears to be unaffected by much of anything, which is nice.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
You know Archael, I've been meaning to ask: why is it that you eventually decided to make Swordskills both cost MP and be affected by physical evasion? I've been using Agrias in my 1.3 run and having experienced all of the other changes to her swordskills, I've been pondering over the mechanical hows and whys of this decision. I'm not saying it's the wrong one, I'm just curious as to what brought you to it, specifically. Lord knows there have been times where I wish they either didn't cost MP or weren't subject to PEv, but hey :shobon:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

UmbreonMessiah posted:

You know Archael, I've been meaning to ask: why is it that you eventually decided to make Swordskills both cost MP and be affected by physical evasion? I've been using Agrias in my 1.3 run and having experienced all of the other changes to her swordskills, I've been pondering over the mechanical hows and whys of this decision. I'm not saying it's the wrong one, I'm just curious as to what brought you to it, specifically. Lord knows there have been times where I wish they either didn't cost MP or weren't subject to PEv, but hey :shobon:

Swordskills in vanilla are stupid broken in every way. Let's look at the weakest of them, Stasis Sword. Its damage formula is (PA * (WP + 2)), thus doing better damage than Attack. It has a range of 2 with an AOE of 2v0, thus letting you hit up to three tiles away and/or anywhere from one to five targets. It doesn't allow for evasion, and executes instantly, thus being a reliable move every turn. On top of that, it consumes no resources: the most is that it needs a sword to use, but swords are good weapons so it's not a bad thing.

That one move alone is better than the Attack command in every way, and would be a serious contender for an ability slot if it were the only ability in Holy Sword-after all, Jump and Elemental are only one ability and they're considered good to excellent equips. But, it's not. It also comes with Split Punch, Crush Punch, Lightning Stab, and Holy Explosion, each equal to or better than the last.

Having an ability be strictly better than Attack is a bad thing. Attack is subject to evasion, so Holy Sword gets to be as well. This has the additional benefit of subjecting Agrias and Orlandu to the same choice every other shield using physical attacker gets, Attack Up versus Concentrate. The MP cost makes you have to evaluate the value of a sword skill now versus the potential to use it later, thus adding another challenging decision to be made with that character. This is in line with Archael's goal of making 1.3 challenging in every way (alternative answer: this is in line with 1.3 hating its players).

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Trasson posted:

Swordskills in vanilla are stupid broken in every way. Let's look at the weakest of them, Stasis Sword. Its damage formula is (PA * (WP + 2)), thus doing better damage than Attack. It has a range of 2 with an AOE of 2v0, thus letting you hit up to three tiles away and/or anywhere from one to five targets. It doesn't allow for evasion, and executes instantly, thus being a reliable move every turn. On top of that, it consumes no resources: the most is that it needs a sword to use, but swords are good weapons so it's not a bad thing.

Aye. The only other skill that has zero cost, 100% hit rate, greater than melee range, and is instant is Elemental. Elemental has downsides, though, in that it is harder to maximize (and usually does less damage than Swordskills), and has limited to very limited choice of elements per map.

FFT 1.3's modifications do make Swordskills rather weak in the early game but damage ramps up more quickly than magic and Swordskills eventually mostly overtake magic in the late game, even with nerfed Knight Sword weapon power. MP costs do matter early on but also eventually become only an occasional limitation, especially in WotL 1.3 where anyone can get the HP/MP draining Dark Knight skills.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 3, 2013

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Trasson explained it well. Zero MP, Zero Charge Time Unevadeable AOE Physical Spells = hueheueheuh imba

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Before we head into Riovanes and Chapter 4, I'd like to take a minute to ask your opinion, dear readers.

I've been trying to sprinkle in a few episodes that show me losing the fight. How interesting do you all find these? Is is fun and/or helpful to see what can go wrong?

FFT 1.3 is a difficult game, and I do want to convey a sense of that difficulty; I get my fair share of Game Overs even on this, my fourth playthrough. However, I haven't really seen any SSLPs that show the LPer getting stomped (it's more of a video LP thing) and dedicating entire episodes to my failure does slow the rate of progress through the game.

So tell me, please, would you like me to keep showing losses and if so would you like to see more failure episodes or fewer failure episodes?

I like the way you've been doing it. I don't mind seeing the failure screens, as long as they're interesting.

That said, in order to give the full v1.3 experience, if you fail and don't show it, maybe you could just note it. "So that's this episode. Also, I didn't show it but I lost this battle twice when Mustadio the Petrifying Asskicker :jihad: got hit with ill-timed criticals".

George posted:

What's the deal with those, anyway? The item name makes sense given two units in the game, but not for anything else. Is it something you plan on preventing other units from using in the future, or is this another compensation for the AI's limitations?
I'd also like to know this. I can understand removing "Power Sources" from player Chemists, but I don't see why random chemists get it. Seems like it makes more sense as a rare, specialty ability.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Don't forget the status chance with Holy Sword! Stasis Sword procing Stop is a hell of a thing.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

Keep failure episodes, along with a Number of Game Overs per fight at the end of a successful post. Also for "bad" maps, combine multiple losses into one failure episode where appropriate (aka first round crits just put you too far behind; bad AI decisions create unwinnable scenarios, etc). I find your commentary during failure reels insightful and only showing successful fights doesn't put in perspective how cruel 1.3 can be. They add a lot! :)

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm gonna have to vote against failure vids, at least for this next stretch.

Just realized I hadn't voted :shobon:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Keep doing death episodes at the same rate. I think it'll get old fast if we have too many.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Keep it the same. Failure is funny, but only when it's countered by the string of success beforehand.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Yeah, definitely don't change what you're doing. I like the little failures, because they're rare, and when it happens, it's a surprise. It really helps us realize that this is hard as gently caress without also being boring and bogging down the LP.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Don't forget the status chance with Holy Sword! Stasis Sword procing Stop is a hell of a thing.
Stasis Sword remains borderline OP even in 1.3 with its amazing range, vertical tolerance, AOE, damage, and Stop proc chance. And this is after two enormous nerfs.

So yes that's some food for thought, obviously. Swordskills get a lot better with elemental combos or Knight Swords, neither of which are easy (or in some cases possible) to get before Chapter 4. Agrias starts whipping utter rear end with Concentrate and a Defender.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

MagusofStars posted:

I like the way you've been doing it. I don't mind seeing the failure screens, as long as they're interesting.

That said, in order to give the full v1.3 experience, if you fail and don't show it, maybe you could just note it. "So that's this episode. Also, I didn't show it but I lost this battle twice when Mustadio the Petrifying Asskicker :jihad: got hit with ill-timed criticals".
This...yeah pretty much is what I was gonna post!

If the failure is interesting enough, keep it! I mean, it's nice to see HOW things went bad and what did wrong or the computer did way too right. But more might just make it tedious and boring to have to slog through "Riovanes Castle pt. 9! I get critical'd on the first turn, and am unable to do much more than run with my tail between my legs," but seeing a battle lost because you almost had it...but Steal Heart took over Fluellen who proceeded to beat the poo poo out of your entire team would be fun to see!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I'll throw in a vote for doing whatever is easiest on you. Good LP so far, had a friend obsessed with this game when we were kids, never played it myself though. Interesting to see how much thought and challenge can be applied to the system.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Things have been pretty good so far so I vote for keeping it the same.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012
Is there an option to vote for what you feel like doing? Like, if you're feeling burned out and don't want to go to the trouble to screen-shot and write up a failure episode, I don't think you need to feel obligated to do so. If you have one you really like, I will probably like it too. Is that the same as voting keep it the same?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Young Hegelian posted:

Is there an option to vote for what you feel like doing? Like, if you're feeling burned out and don't want to go to the trouble to screen-shot and write up a failure episode, I don't think you need to feel obligated to do so. If you have one you really like, I will probably like it too. Is that the same as voting keep it the same?

I agree with this. If it grates, don't go crazy. You don't have to write up a "fake-out" full post for failed attempts, you can just show the highlights of how it went wrong.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Seeing all the failed reports is pretty interesting and amusing, but I wouldn't want to see too many of those - unless they're interesting (AKA "Wow, I never knew that could happen to you!") or funny (AKA "Haha, that's just hilarious how you died!!").

So my vote is keep going the way you are, but I'd like to see more interesting and funny gameovers if there are any.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

PFlats posted:

I agree with this. If it grates, don't go crazy. You don't have to write up a "fake-out" full post for failed attempts, you can just show the highlights of how it went wrong.

What he said.

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
This thread made me go and get 1.3 Content. I am enjoying the increased but not ludicrous difficulty, and it's refreshing to see classes I normally never use.

Archael, I'm sure you know a few of these, but there are definately still tooltip errors in the game. Many of them (like the discrepancy between the CT and MP of Oracle spells between the skill learning page and the advanced tooltip) are minor, but one that really threw me off is Mediator's Warn ability. The tooltip in battle and in the skill learning page both claim that Warn adds Defend, Protect, and Shell to the target, but in battle it only adds Defend. I thought perhaps it added Protect and Shell only while defend was up, but those buffs never showed up when I examined the character. Those dirty Mediators, lying to me about their abilities!

Also of note, I went back to look through the character roster in game and Teta was a cactuar! And yes I have the most recent version, 1.3.0.6, and it patched correctly.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Runic Edge posted:

Also of note, I went back to look through the character roster in game and Teta was a cactuar! And yes I have the most recent version, 1.3.0.6, and it patched correctly.

If you play Zeakden on that file, do you get a happy ending Brave% of the time? Blade Grasp works on arrows.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Einander posted:

If you play Zeakden on that file, do you get a happy ending Brave% of the time? Blade Grasp works on arrows.

What if Algus has Concentrate? :v:

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

U-DO Burger posted:

Keep doing death episodes at the same rate. I think it'll get old fast if we have too many.

I pretty much feel the same way. A failure update can serve to subvert expectations while reminding us normal people how much 1.3 actively hates you and will exploit even the most minute fracture in your execution.

Even if you feel you had no control over said fracture.

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 5, 2013

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Archael posted:

Nope. I made CM and CF work on a ton of new things in 1.3.

As a general rule of thumb Counter Flood will fire against everything that is offensively aimed at you. Counter Magic will fire against anything aimed at you that deals magic damage, has a magic effect, or uses MP. In Vanilla these two Reaction skills were much more limited in what they would work against.
I'm not quite sure I enjoy that change. Counter Flood is fine (I enjoy the added triggers for it), but I very distinctly recall either this (1.3) or LFT Counter Magic doing some very bad things, like my allies counter-magic'ing beneficial, supportive spells at the initial caster...which sometimes means that the Haste2 I slam on my best units after the initial boost wears off also happens to nail 3 enemy units alongside the caster. Or instances where my Cures would be countered (again by my own units) while enemy units are standing within the AoE...though I can sort-of understand that one as Cures can be used offensively.

This does make the game more difficult in that you'd have to start planning around unintended CM, but I feel it's a a smidge on the "bullshit" side of difficulty when Counter Magic triggers on purely support spells (Like Protect, Shell, Haste, Quick, etc). It can be used in favor of the player, (counter-magic an ally's Quick spell for example), but I'd gladly trade that for a Reaction ability that won't literally backfire in my face. As it is described (triggering on MP-use, magic damage, magic effect), it's ye olde double-edged sword, and I'd choose many other Reaction abilities before it. Limited before due to not triggering on enough things, now the opposite; it triggers on too many things.

If this was intentional, I'd much rather it weren't, or at least changed in such a way that it triggers only on offensive/negative status spells.

yay i finally got to Murond!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Seiren posted:

I'm not quite sure I enjoy that change. Counter Flood is fine (I enjoy the added triggers for it), but I very distinctly recall either this (1.3) or LFT Counter Magic doing some very bad things, like my allies counter-magic'ing beneficial, supportive spells at the initial caster

I don't think this was actually changed from Vanilla at all. I don't think either patch touched the reflectable flag for beneficial spells. For me I actually think it's an advantage since I can do stuff like "double up" on my chances of hasting or curing myself.

• Locked thread