Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

A_Riot_of_Colours posted:

Yooooo... I'm in contact with a guy who selling his almost new Tan Tien for only $250. The only problem seems that the board is Flex 3 and I'm a 80 kg (175 lbs) guy. No doubt flex 2 is the optimal choice, but would buying the flex 3 cause problems for me? Any experience here would help a lot...

You'll be okay as long as you aren't bombing anything too fast on it. Just give it some time to get used to the feel of it since it's going to feel pretty weird at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

It'll work for you. Just don't take it fast!

Noted! Because of speed wobbling?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If you can give the board a try before buying, that'd be ideal. Its possible the board would be TOO flexible, but unlikely. Go for it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Behind Door #3: Start dieting!

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Any commentary on the DGK video Parental Advisory? Like most skate vids with skits, the skits were terrible except for the one with the 7 year old kid tripping on acid/X, but the skating was top notch. I think it's right up there with Pretty Sweet and the music for most of the parts is a lot better than Pretty Sweet as well.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
New 18 minute Enjoi video! Louie Barletta has a full part: http://youtu.be/H91yWtS_rvU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Tenterhooks posted:

New 18 minute Enjoi video! Louie Barletta has a full part: http://youtu.be/H91yWtS_rvU
:haw:

awesome

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Tenterhooks posted:

Great video. @9:42 is hilarious.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought a Stereo Cruiser the other day, never skateboarding a day in my life. And I've learned how to ride it and like "pedal" along, but i'm wondering if starting on a board this little will hamper me if I ever decide to go to a full size normal skateboard? Or would the skills transfer over?

Thanks guys. :)

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Tenterhooks posted:

1:24 was pretty cool. Great video.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The Flamingo always takes me by surprise, what a weird looking trick.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

I bought a Stereo Cruiser the other day, never skateboarding a day in my life. And I've learned how to ride it and like "pedal" along, but i'm wondering if starting on a board this little will hamper me if I ever decide to go to a full size normal skateboard? Or would the skills transfer over?

Thanks guys. :)

They'll transfer. If anything, you'll be a better skater because of it. I'd recommend upgrading the bushings and bearings on your board. It makes a huge difference and it's loving cheap.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks mang. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to that stuff, is there a certain site i should look at to buy that stuff/ guides on how to change it?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks mang. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to that stuff, is there a certain site i should look at to buy that stuff/ guides on how to change it?

I got a set of Bones Red bearings and Bones Hardcore bushing (in 81a durometer, which are the softs). Buying through your local skate shop is a nice move, but I'm lazy and ordered them through Amazon, since both things were Prime eligible. You can do a ton of reading to figure out all the fine details of bushings, like shape, hardness, etc, but, honestly, the best thing to do is try a few out and find out what you like. I'm a small guy and wanted a twisty, borderline scary ride, so I went with the softs. As far as changing them goes, it's pretty straight forward. Maybe watch a video on youtube if you want.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks alot. Will check them out. I actually like the stock ones I guess on the Stereo but if there's a way to make a even smoother ride than :drat:!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Like you said, it's your first board, so you don't really know how bad the stock one are. Upgrading those two things took my Stereo from buyer's remorse to favorite skateboard.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, depending on the bushing size (depends on the trucks) you should pick up some Bones Hardcores or some Khiros (assuming smaller bushings) and slap them in. Venom, Blood Orange, RipTides, etc, for bigger bushings. Bushings are one of the easiest and cheapest upgrades to tweak a board to feel better. Only really Independents come with good stock bushings (except for longboard trucks)

I've never ridden one of those little plastic cruisers, but a friend had a Landyachtz Dinghy, which is essentially the same thing, but made of bamboo, and it was a ton of fun. Really makes you a better all-around skater too

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks, im going to pick up some of the Bones today, and then buy a wooden skateboard also from skate.ly later on in the day. excited!

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
I'm facing down my 30th birthday this year and have never tried to skateboard but have wanted to ever since seeing Back to the Future. I've read through the thread and think I have a good idea of what I want to get get and have already purchased the deck. I don't have a local shop to support and Skately seems like a good site. Does anyone know how to contact Rygar? Back on August '11 he said there would be a new SA Mart thread but the only link is no longer active. I'm a poor grad student and any discount helps.

I got an 8.25" deck from Stereo and am basically looking for a setup to cruise around campus, maybe learn to ollie and manual, but no stairs/rails.

parque bynch fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 12, 2013

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

parque bynch posted:

I'm facing down my 30th birthday this year and have never tried to skateboard but have wanted to ever since seeing Back to the Future. I've read through the thread and think I have a good idea of what I want to get get and have already purchased the deck. I don't have a local shop to support and Skately seems like a good site. Does anyone know how to contact Rygar? Back on August '11 he said there would be a new SA Mart thread but the only link is no longer active. I'm a poor grad student and any discount helps.

I got an 8.25" deck from Stereo and am basically looking for a setup to cruise around campus, maybe learn to ollie and manual, but no stairs/rails.

Should have waited two years for hoverboards to come out.

CoolZCBD
Jan 14, 2013
I have a Sector Nine long board and I really want to get into skate boarding with all the jumps and tricks. Any suggestions before attempting this?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Buy a helmet and wear it.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

CoolZCBD posted:

I have a Sector Nine long board and I really want to get into skate boarding with all the jumps and tricks. Any suggestions before attempting this?

Good shoes and good grip tape are the two most overlooked things, in my opinion, that'll really help get you off the ground higher.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Whoever likes cheap decks with pop- Beer City sells great boards that are straight out of the 90s.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If you have netflix streaming you should most definitely watch Bones Brigade: An Autobiography as soon as you can. Rodney Mullen and Lance Mountain will make you cry.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I was at the Toronto screening for that. Fantastic documentary. If Rodney's story seems to connect with you go find and read his book "The Mutt: How To Skateboard And Not Kill Yourself". It's a wonderful journey.

I was bummed that evening because Stacey and Rodney were supposed to be in attendance to answer questions but they had just found out about the death of Stacey's son and bailed. Too bad :(

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yeah that sucks about Stacy's son.

Having read Mutt and nerded out on Rodney in the past I was pretty familiar with his story so that probably taints my opinion of the documentary. Personally I found the tone of the film to be a bit of a downer and I think it's mostly due to the focus on Rodney's tortured past. I also didn't like how everyone kind of poo poo on The Search for Animal Chin. It served its purpose at the time and I don't recall anyone taking it super seriously, it was supposed to be silly and stupid. When I first saw it I was 12 or so at the time so my hero worship was in full effect.

I was kind of hoping for something that celebrated the Bones Brigade phenomena more. The documentary seemed almost tragic.

Oh and loving Fred Durst up in there, Jesus Christ what the poo poo?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
They should've replaced him with Kenny Powers, who is like the only person in the past 10 years to make a Lance Mountain reference in a major tv show.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Anybody here got skater's back? I'm taking a weight-training class this quarter and my instructor pointed out that one side of my back is noticeably overdeveloped. She assumed it was because I have scoliosis (I do), but skating back from class, I remembered my roommate from last year telling me about how he had a buddy where one side of his back was extremely overdeveloped because he longboarded everywhere. Is this a common thing? I pretty much skate daily around campus and it's my main means of transportation.

Slap Dizzy
Jun 26, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

Anybody here got skater's back? I'm taking a weight-training class this quarter and my instructor pointed out that one side of my back is noticeably overdeveloped. She assumed it was because I have scoliosis (I do), but skating back from class, I remembered my roommate from last year telling me about how he had a buddy where one side of his back was extremely overdeveloped because he longboarded everywhere. Is this a common thing? I pretty much skate daily around campus and it's my main means of transportation.

I have not heard of it before, but I believe it's possible that dominant development in musculature size and strength in one side of the back chain compared to the other can occur, depending on preference of skating stance. However, when you initially start your weight-training, difference in side strength dominance might be great, but as you progress in you training (e.g. lifting heavier weights), over time, your backside strength will continuously even out. Also, theoretically speaking, if you train at a constant workload (with the same weights), your musculature will adapt to match the demands of that workload. This means if you work out at an intensity below the training level of one side of muscles, but above the training level of the other, "overerdeveloped" muscles will decrease in strength and size and vice versa, until both sides matches the demands of that exercise - i'm thinking exercises such as squats and deadlifts.

This might be an indirect answer to your question, but i'm high as gently caress and it's the only one i could think of. I do have a master in sports physiology though :nyan:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yep, this is normal for anyone who won't skate fakie/switch. I did the displacement test with my legs a few months back and my lead leg is much larger than my push leg.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
the evolution of skateboarding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ncC1mrvJE

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

This could also be the evolution of dancing. Look at those arm maneuvers. But seriously, this is wicked; his board control and balance is awesome.

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

I've been cruising around on a Globe Bantam for a few months to/from home -> train station -> work and back again and I was loving it so I somehow convinced myself to buy a board from a local shop (it was a tossup between a BMX and a skateboard and skateboarding was cheaper and honestly, looks cooler). So I now own a Cliche complete board. I owned a crappy major-store board when I was around about 13 or something and never did much on it.

My board feels like it's slightly too big for me, but I'm not sure if I only think that because I've been riding my tiny Bantam around for months. I also would like to ride the board to/from work each day to get used to riding on it but it requires a ridiculous amount of pushing to get any sort of speed going and the board stops quite quickly too. Is there any way to get it to a comparable speed as the Bantam? I've surmised the bearings and wheels are probably different and I get the feeling my Bantam has spacers or something to make the wheels spin more. I also figure the bigger + softer wheels on the Bantam make for a smoother ride.

I'm so confused. :( I've damaged the board already obviously by trying to ollie and shuvit so I can't exactly take it back or anything.

Megadrive fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 5, 2013

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Megadrive posted:

My board feels like it's slightly too big for me, but I'm not sure if I only think that because I've been riding my tiny Bantam around for months.

8" is about the norm. If you've been riding a smaller board for a long time, it will take a bit to adjust but not much. :)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Get soft wheels, bones reds bearings, and some spacers if you're pushing around a lot

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

Mincher posted:

8" is about the norm. If you've been riding a smaller board for a long time, it will take a bit to adjust but not much. :)

I'll have to measure it when I get home. I remember the guy saying the board was wider, but I'm not sure what in relation to. We were talking about a smaller size skateboard for younger kids.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Get soft wheels, bones reds bearings, and some spacers if you're pushing around a lot

This is what I suspected. I've had a look around and I've seen Bones STFs been pimped a bit for wheels and Bones Reds a lot for bearings. Spacers I've read and been recommended to make sure to get steel ones and not aluminium for any reason. Does this sound right to you? I'm not planning on doing any sliding tricks yet, they're way beyond my skill level currently.

I should mention my ride to the station is primarily on concrete, some of which is quite rough. Not sure if that changes anything.

Megadrive fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 5, 2013

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yes thats all good info. Softer, larger wheels will give you a much smoother, faster ride. I wouldn't go over 60mm or so on a street deck due to wheel clearance. Larger wheels will handle cracks and bumps better
Steel spacers won't deform over time like aluminum will, assuming they're cast and not machined, and are absolutely a necessity.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Megadrive posted:

I've damaged the board already obviously by trying to ollie and shuvit so I can't exactly take it back or anything.

WHAT?! What horrible skate shop wouldn't let you return a board you broke trying to ollie/shuvit?! That thing is a piece of poo poo and they should at least let you pick out a new deck, free of charge.

If you've thrashed it time after time, that's one thing. If it broke/cracked from a couple attempts at tricks, you should totally be able to return it. Obviously skate shops don't have to honor any sort of return policy, but the good ones will cut you some slack if it's a genuinely lovely/faulty product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I think you've misinterpreted his post...