Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

ROFLburger posted:

Holy poo poo

Thank you
You should really read the book too, because it's a fascinating look into a bad person who has absolutely zero self-reflection. All that stuff that's written up there? Now imagine it written in a tone that clearly indicates that the author is either proud or amused whenever he does something sociopathic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
In the MMA FOTY thread, someone made a mentioned of someone "standing up" someone else...what does that mean?

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

JPrime posted:

In the MMA FOTY thread, someone made a mentioned of someone "standing up" someone else...what does that mean?

The ref standing the fighters who are hugging on the ground up for inactivity.

Or if you're Kim Winslow you stand them up when the guy on top is in half guard and is beating the poo poo out of his opponent :v:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Seeing stuff like this brings up a few questions - Have there been fighters that have been suspended/fired or anything like that for continuing to beat the poo poo out of a guy they just knocked out or submitted long after the ref has called the fight?

Also have there been any major incidents where a fighter was dazed or out on his feet and he struck a referee either intentionally or on accident maybe thinking he was the other fighter? Are the officials required to have any sort of martial arts training for help in handling unruly fighters until they can get someone else inside the cage to assist in case one has a freakout/breakdown?

Sorry to make it all ref chat all the sudden but they're things I wonder every time I see one of these officials trying to pull back a guy like twice their size in the middle of a beatdown.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Seeing stuff like this brings up a few questions - Have there been fighters that have been suspended/fired or anything like that for continuing to beat the poo poo out of a guy they just knocked out or submitted long after the ref has called the fight?

Babalu was fired for refusing to release a choke, yeah. Rousimar Palhares is known for coming really close to that line without managing to get shitcanned over it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JPrime posted:

In events of inactivity, either on the ground or in a clinch against the cage, as with boxing the referee is to move in and break them up and reset to prevent stalling. There is a bit more leeway than boxings case as ground fighting is a low slower and technical but it can happen when one fighter is stifled in guard.

When people through a fit over stand ups is when there is no inactivity. A sadly high number of referees will force a stand up when one fighter is obviously active, striking or moving to a submission on the basis of "come on guys let's work". It can ruin fights as usually the fighter who is on top and working for something now has to expend energy to get back to where they were while the fighter on the bottom has gotten back to their feet simply by lying there and taking punishment/begging to be stood up like a dick.

This gets especially egregious when referees do stand ups from when a fighter has a dominant position or even a simple advanced position like half guard. There have been fights where a stand up has occurred from side control for example, which is insane. One of the most famous was when Roy Nelson faced Andrei Arlovski and was in side control and actively working for a kimura when the referee stood them up.

Stand ups should be a last resort, instead some referees listen to the crowd booing because they're dumbfucks (they being both the crowd and the referee) and will stand up an amazing grappling exchange.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Also have there been any major incidents where a fighter was dazed or out on his feet and he struck a referee either intentionally or on accident maybe thinking he was the other fighter? Are the officials required to have any sort of martial arts training for help in handling unruly fighters until they can get someone else inside the cage to assist in case one has a freakout/breakdown?

Sorry to make it all ref chat all the sudden but they're things I wonder every time I see one of these officials trying to pull back a guy like twice their size in the middle of a beatdown.

Paul Harris got a short suspension for holding onto a submission too long at UFC 111. Paul Daley was fired from the UFC for trying to punch Koscheck after Koscheck laid on him for 3 rounds. Jon Fitch (and others) have tried to perform takedowns or sweeps on refs after being knocked out.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

After the aforementioned Babalu choke this is the other most famous, Paul Daley suckerpunching Josh Koscheck after being 30-27'd. Though it wasn't a continued beatdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRWSCVcijyQ

Referee striking happens very rarely, the only one that comes to mind is Mike Kyle and Mike Kyle did it on purpose. Sometimes referees have actually been taken down by a dazed fighter - for example Jon Fitch took down and managed to move into Steve MAzzagatti's half guard after he was KO'd by Johny Hendricks, and Keith Peterson got mounted by a KO'd fighter in a b-league show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibujFWgfY8

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Mike Kyle deserved to get charged with assault with what he did in the ring, and only got an 18 month suspension for it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-8uisnPoMCE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-8uisnPoMCE

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Street Horrrsing posted:

Mike Kyle deserved to get charged with assault with what he did in the ring, and only got an 18 month suspension for it.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-8uisnPoMCE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-8uisnPoMCE

Goddamn - this guy went ahead and threw in as many from the 'do not use' list as he could there. Kick to the face on a downed fighter, thumb to the eye, punch after a stoppage etc. The announcers saying something like "This is kind of what he does - he just loses it" shows that this guy probably shouldn't have been booked for fights in the first place.

Thanks for the answers and videos. I can't help but find it funny watching guys going for a takedown on a ref when they are out of it as long as nobody gets hurt. Good to know that fighters throwing punches at officials is rare with all the rattled brains after some of the strikes they take.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Goddamn - this guy went ahead and threw in as many from the 'do not use' list as he could there. Kick to the face on a downed fighter, thumb to the eye, punch after a stoppage etc. The announcers saying something like "This is kind of what he does - he just loses it" shows that this guy probably shouldn't have been booked for fights in the first place.

Thanks for the answers and videos. I can't help but find it funny watching guys going for a takedown on a ref when they are out of it as long as nobody gets hurt. Good to know that fighters throwing punches at officials is rare with all the rattled brains after some of the strikes they take.

Yeah, it's just terrible poo poo-lord Gilbert Yvel that hits refs while completely conscious because "loving hugging"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYj5BdSLuJE

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Sokoudjou continued to beat on Jan Nortje after the ref stopped it. It sounds bad, but remember Sokoudjou is from Camerooon and Nortje was a white from Sotuh Africa, and it's sweet sweet vengeance.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He also bit a dude (on the chest) once. Kyle is a real scumbag.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Lid posted:

After the aforementioned Babalu choke this is the other most famous, Paul Daley suckerpunching Josh Koscheck after being 30-27'd. Though it wasn't a continued beatdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRWSCVcijyQ

Referee striking happens very rarely, the only one that comes to mind is Mike Kyle and Mike Kyle did it on purpose. Sometimes referees have actually been taken down by a dazed fighter - for example Jon Fitch took down and managed to move into Steve MAzzagatti's half guard after he was KO'd by Johny Hendricks, and Keith Peterson got mounted by a KO'd fighter in a b-league show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibujFWgfY8

Then there's Phil Baroni's infamous bad stoppage where he punched the ref twice to express just how not okay he was with the stoppage.
Only something around a half year suspension, iirc.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Also have there been any major incidents where a fighter was dazed or out on his feet and he struck a referee either intentionally or on accident maybe thinking he was the other fighter?

Dazed guys shoot on the ref all the time.

Bigfoot wasn't trying to hit Overeem though he was just pumped because Overeem was being arrogant and also probably humiliating bigfoot during the fight

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Bundt Cake posted:

Dazed guys shoot on the ref all the time.

Bigfoot wasn't trying to hit Overeem though he was just pumped because Overeem was being arrogant and also probably humiliating bigfoot during the fight

That whole pumped-up posing after a finish happens all the time, off the top of my head, there's Houston Alexander from a while back and even Pat Barry doing it recently. Although in Barry's case, it was probably more along the lines of "don't loving touch me, commission-dude, I'm being emotional" or something.

All I want for easter is a guy brutally finishing a dude and then towering over him ferociously snarling and flexing and yelling "DO YOU SEE?" repeatedly while the ref restrains him.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Cole Miller talking poo poo to Junie Browning after submitting him will always be magical

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
That was really funny because cole miller acted like beating junie was some kind of big deal, when it absolutely was not

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

That was really funny because cole miller acted like beating junie was some kind of big deal, when it absolutely was not

If I were Cole Miller, I would be shocked I was able to best another human being at a thing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I like how Miller had a few decent wins at 155, but because he can't string together wins he decides that instead of improving his skills and lifting some weights he'll instead get even skinnier.

0-2 at featherweight

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

I like how Miller had a few decent wins at 155, but because he can't string together wins he decides that instead of improving his skills and lifting some weights he'll instead get even skinnier.

0-2 at featherweight

He was a featherweight until he went on TUF 5, wasn't he?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I believe it was Big John that had a guy shoot on him and he sprawled then reversed the dazed fighter, mounted him and sat there until he came to his senses. It was pretty sweet.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

I believe it was Big John that had a guy shoot on him and he sprawled then reversed the dazed fighter, mounted him and sat there until he came to his senses. It was pretty sweet.

Oh tell me there's video of this. :allears:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

JPrime posted:

Oh tell me there's video of this. :allears:

It was Chuck Liddell vs Babalu 2 iirc

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 5, 2013

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I do believe that is it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If and when weed is legalized in the U.S., will athletic commissions stop testing for it, or is the ban based on some belief that it is legitimately performance-enhancing?

I'm of the school of thought that it shouldn't be banned (though it might be stupid to smoke a whole bunch if you're a professional, training athlete) but as long as it is, it needs to be enforced. That said, it seems like a frivolous waste of testing expenditures and a detriment to promotional rosters if fighters are being tested and suspended for a substance they certainly aren't using to become empowered.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

If and when weed is legalized in the U.S., will athletic commissions stop testing for it, or is the ban based on some belief that it is legitimately performance-enhancing?

I'm of the school of thought that it shouldn't be banned (though it might be stupid to smoke a whole bunch if you're a professional, training athlete) but as long as it is, it needs to be enforced. That said, it seems like a frivolous waste of testing expenditures and a detriment to promotional rosters if fighters are being tested and suspended for a substance they certainly aren't using to become empowered.

One of the problems I've heard discussed as potentially being involved with weed legalization is that for "driving under the influence" laws, it's hard to distinguish with drug tests between "Has smoked weed recently" and "is high right now". Since ACs don't want fighters fighting while actually high for the same reason they don't want them fighting while drunk or injured or otherwise impaired, that could continue to be an issue.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

fatherdog posted:

One of the problems I've heard discussed as potentially being involved with weed legalization is that for "driving under the influence" laws, it's hard to distinguish with drug tests between "Has smoked weed recently" and "is high right now". Since ACs don't want fighters fighting while actually high for the same reason they don't want them fighting while drunk or injured or otherwise impaired, that could continue to be an issue.

I'm under the impression that urine tests look for metabolites that hang around for weeks or months after use, but blood tests can determine the levels of actual circulating THC at that moment. I could see it being a thing almost like TUE where you can smoke weed but then you have to disclose it and pay for/submit to a blood test immediately after the fight. Come to think of it, they should probably be doing it that way already, at least for people with medical cards and people from states that have repealed prohibition.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

This is a pretty big hurdle, right now in Australia they have roadside swabs that can show drug use up to three days later and they still ping drivers for it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bluedeanie posted:

Well, considering they check for alcohol, and pain killers both of which are also legal...

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm under the impression that urine tests look for metabolites that hang around for weeks or months after use, but blood tests can determine the levels of actual circulating THC at that moment. I could see it being a thing almost like TUE where you can smoke weed but then you have to disclose it and pay for/submit to a blood test immediately after the fight. Come to think of it, they should probably be doing it that way already, at least for people with medical cards and people from states that have repealed prohibition.

The test they're using in Washington state to check for DUI will not detect the presence of marijuana metabolites after 3-4 hours, so that could be a possibility.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

LordPants posted:

Well, considering they check for alcohol, and pain killers both of which are also legal...

And caffeine levels if I remember correctly.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Seltzer posted:

And caffeine levels if I remember correctly.

Yep, chael has mentioned that he can take no more then two nodoze before a fight

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What was with all the heel hooks in Pancrase? Was it a by product of the rules or just the skill levels at the time?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

LordPants posted:

What was with all the heel hooks in Pancrase? Was it a by product of the rules or just the skill levels at the time?

If you're talking about old school pancrase with the no gloves and boots, then the rule set definitely made leg submissions much easier. The rule set made it so you basically couldn't effectively strike to the head (Unless your name was Bas Rutten) which made knocks out difficult, no one had to wear gloves which would hinder grappling, and everyone had to wear those boots which made the lower extremities much easier to grip. It was basically a recipe to make heel hooks easier.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
And Japanese guys and catch wrestlers like heelhooks and that's all pancrase was

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Q: Why did they kill wrestling :smith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A: Because old rich men hate sports they can't make money on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Needed to make room for sports specific to under-served and underrepresented communities such Western Europe, China, and people who have multiple sets of white tie attire.