Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Is there any digital distribution for Aliens vs Predator 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Not that I know of.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am going to be overly positive and name things i did like in the stream.
1.The detail for the environment and to an extent the character models looks good.
2. It seems to have an actual health system instead of just recharging which is a nice change of pace.
3. the voice acting in my opinion doesn't seem to bad.
I don't know i am still hopeful in a kinda pathetic way.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

pengun101 posted:

1.The detail for the environment and to an extent the character models looks good.
2. It seems to have an actual health system instead of just recharging which is a nice change of pace.

At this point, I am just hoping for a meaningful coop experience.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

Rikimaru posted:

I was fortunate enough when visiting my parents to find my old copy, but now the official master server has been replaced by a fan hosted one, you no longer need a cd key to play online. I have no idea if the game files can be morally or legally considered abandonware though.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

I haven't seen the livestream footage but if this is true along with what was said about that other alien glitching out and standing there while the player unloads into it then yeah, all my excitement for this game has gone.

It's a shame too because I so desperately wanted this game to be good and it's release was seriously one of my most anticipated for this year, but the more I see/hear about it the more junk it sounds :(

From watching the stream, It's not so much a fist fight. The alien has you in it's clutches and you dropkick it away then shoot it with your pistol.. Theres a part at the beginning when Capt Duke Nukem jumps up on the side of a power loader to deliver his "badass briefing" but instead looks like he's about to break out into a rendition of 'Singing in the Rain'. So whoever said that the awful voice actor from the trailer wasn't in the game was sadly mistaken.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

From watching the stream, It's not so much a fist fight. The alien has you in it's clutches and you dropkick it away then shoot it with your pistol.. Theres a part at the beginning when Capt Duke Nukem jumps up on the side of a power loader to deliver his "badass briefing" but instead looks like he's about to break out into a rendition of 'Singing in the Rain'. So whoever said that the awful voice actor from the trailer wasn't in the game was sadly mistaken.

If this was secretly a video game Aliens musical I would forgive any and all other flaws it had.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I watched a bit of the stream and kinda cringed when the Captain or whoever is giving his speech and says "You are not in Kansas any more" because Gearbox riffed from the wrong James Cameron movie there. I also found the bit with him talking on the power loader kinda goofy since he kept raising his arm to flex all macho-like which just looked silly to be honest.

Still, I watched the video up until the first alien encounter which was pretty awful and then turned it off. What bummed me out most of all though was all the "Hey look at this dumb thing we copied from the movie!" chat which is great and all but when that's what you're trying to sell the game with rather than decent gameplay then you're utterly hosed.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I kind of lost my interest in this game after seeing the trailer where they kept saying poo poo gently caress drat balls god drat gently caress throughout the entire thing. It was obnoxious. That stream was bad. I was really hoping for a fun scary game but I don't see that happening anymore.

Ultimate Badass mode .... lmao

Meowbot fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 3, 2013

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

pengun101 posted:

4. The lighting is really spot on, and impressive. Most scenes really evoked Aliens well, at least on my screen.

blackguy32 posted:

At this point, I am just hoping for a meaningful coop experience.

Yeah, that is what is left for me as well, as this point. I am going to take a chance on this for that reason, despite the spotty (and slow) alien a.i. and the janky camera clipping in multi. Plus this is probably the last chance at an Alien-universe game for a long time, or ever maybe depending on how well this does.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Grimdaddy posted:

4. The lighting is really spot on, and impressive. Most scenes really evoked Aliens well, at least on my screen.

Yeah, the environments at least LOOK like environments from Aliens.

Shame about...pretty much everything else.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

I watched a bit of the stream and kinda cringed when the Captain or whoever is giving his speech and says "You are not in Kansas any more" because Gearbox riffed from the wrong James Cameron movie there. I also found the bit with him talking on the power loader kinda goofy since he kept raising his arm to flex all macho-like which just looked silly to be honest.

THOSE ALIEN BASTARDS ARE GONNA PAY FOR SHOOTING UP MY RIDE!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you really want an Aliens game with co-op and deadly close range enemies and all, Dead Space 3 literally comes out the week before. It's not officially Aliens (and looks like it might have issues of its own) but it at least seems to be filling the same niche but better.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

The original Dead Space is what this game should have been.

Dead Space 3 honestly looks to be suffering from the same watered-down crap that plagues Colonial Marines though, a developer/publisher that's too scared to release a true horror game that has genuinely threatening enemies, so what they're pushing out is Call of Duty with aliens. The first Dead Space game was freakin' incredible though, and still holds up today as a classic in my opinion. It completely nails the atmosphere of sci-fi horror perfectly.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

MUFFlNS posted:

Dead Space 3 honestly looks to be suffering from the same watered-down crap that plagues Colonial Marines though, a developer/publisher that's too scared to release a true horror game that has genuinely threatening enemies, so what they're pushing out is Call of Duty with aliens. The first Dead Space game was freakin' incredible though, and still holds up today as a classic in my opinion. It completely nails the atmosphere of sci-fi horror perfectly.

To me the biggest thing for any horror game is the sound. That's something Dead Space nailed. I hope this game can pull it off in the sound department at least.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why wouldn't you just sandwich a thin layer of gold in your armor? Basically non-reactive and doesn't give a gently caress about acid, problem solved.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

MUFFlNS posted:

If Colonial Marines is Call of Duty, then Dead Space 3 is Gears of War. I guarantee that any popular shooter game/franchise will trend towards either of those two in terms of gameplay depending on whether it is first or third person. Videogames are just becoming hugely derivative, homogenised crap.

The first Dead Space was really how I imagined an Alien game should be. You should feel fragile, lonely and under-equipped, not like some ultra-badass killing machine. It really makes you wonder if Gearbox actually watched Aliens before making this game, as the whole point of that film is that the marines, thinking themselves to be unstoppable, are defeated as much by their overconfidence as by the aliens themselves. I originally thought that this game was going to be like that, because the cinematic trailer did such a good job of conveying that panicky feeling of being surrounded by horrible things that could burst out of the walls, ceiling, floor, etc at any moment.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Endman posted:

The first Dead Space was really how I imagined an Alien game should be. You should feel fragile, lonely and under-equipped, not like some ultra-badass killing machine. It really makes you wonder if Gearbox actually watched Aliens before making this game, as the whole point of that film is that the marines, thinking themselves to be unstoppable, are defeated as much by their overconfidence as by the aliens themselves. I originally thought that this game was going to be like that, because the cinematic trailer did such a good job of conveying that panicky feeling of being surrounded by horrible things that could burst out of the walls, ceiling, floor, etc at any moment.
Lets go back to when that was all I knew of the game, please. :(

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

You're spot-on. When I first caught a glimpse of the Dead Space 3 unveiling at E3 I thought somebody had mistaken it for the new Gears of War game because it looked identical (I tuned in with them taking cover behind stuff out in the snow and fighting some giant monster thing) and my disappointment upon discovering it was for real was hugely disappointing.

Who knows? Maybe one day some passionate independent developers will make their very own Alien game that does the films proud, since I think the only hopes for that sort of thing becoming a reality is by creative forces outside of the commercial industry with no publisher to answer to. All the best horror of the past few years has solely come from the indie gaming scene I think, and I've no doubt someone will cook-up something Alien-y, albeit with a different name and perhaps slightly different monsters. Then again, Halo unashamedly ripped a ton of stuff from Aliens without anyone saying anything so who knows?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Catching up, and watching the IGN stream during the multiplayer section, I got laughing at the Q&A.

:eng101: 'Question from so-and-so, is there a horde mode?'
:stare: 'A what..?'
:eng101: 'Horde mode.'
:stare: 'Umm.. Err.. So yeah, about those four multiplayer modes we've got.. Uhh..'

Come on. NOBODY in the multiplayer team thought a horde mode would be a good idea? What the hell, getting together with buddies and mowing down hordes of bugs? I'm pretty sure that could've sold the game right there for most fans of the movie. It looks like so much fun getting gunned down by marines camping in a room over and over half the time as a alien in the generic TDM garbage instead.:what:

Also forced challenges. Oh boy, I can't wait until I get all lovely MP challenges and the community has died on it's arse after the first fortnight. :allears:

I do like the whole campaign customization though. I love games with actual variety and replay value beyond a 'new' difficulty, where they add a 1.0 onto all the enemy values and call it a day.

Edit - After watching all of the stream I'm just going to go with a blanket, 'MP looks like unbalanced poo poo' statement. Still going to pick this up for the Campaign though. The main dev did say this was the shipped version to boot. :toot: It says a lot that one of the devs gets so fed up in the last ten minutes he actually hands over the controller.

limited fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 3, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rikimaru posted:

No, and there likely never will be. AvP2 was made by Monolith, which owns the Lithtech engine, and they were acquired by Warner Bros. in 2004. So while 20th Century Fox owns the 'Aliens' franchise, Warner Bros. owns the engine the game was made on, and the two would need to cooperate in order to see a joint re-release of the game. I'm not saying it's impossible, just very unlikely and probably not very high on either studio's list of priorities.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
So do you think FOX considers to this game to be canon like the guy claimed? Or is it just marketing horseshit?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

BrandonGK posted:

So do you think FOX considers to this game to be canon like the guy claimed? Or is it just marketing horseshit?

I doubt anyone cares about the Alien IP that much anymore. Also that "Tank Alien" from the recent trailer. :cripes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrandonGK posted:

It is infinitely marketing bullshit and it will never be mentioned again. If any director wants to ignore the events of this game they will. No studio on the planet is going to go "Sorry, we can't let you do that. A video game said that the colony wasn't completely destroyed!"

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

BrandonGK posted:

I guess it's probably a exaggeration, I imagine it's more a case of someone at Fox said, 'Yeah, that's probably how we'd do it' somewhere. I'm sure Fox won't be forking money over to Gearbox to use their ORIGINAL CHARACTERS in a movie if they make another one anytime soon.

^^ Beaten. :argh:

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

MUFFlNS posted:

You're spot-on. When I first caught a glimpse of the Dead Space 3 unveiling at E3 I thought somebody had mistaken it for the new Gears of War game because it looked identical (I tuned in with them taking cover behind stuff out in the snow and fighting some giant monster thing) and my disappointment upon discovering it was for real was hugely disappointing.

Who knows? Maybe one day some passionate independent developers will make their very own Alien game that does the films proud, since I think the only hopes for that sort of thing becoming a reality is by creative forces outside of the commercial industry with no publisher to answer to. All the best horror of the past few years has solely come from the indie gaming scene I think, and I've no doubt someone will cook-up something Alien-y, albeit with a different name and perhaps slightly different monsters. Then again, Halo unashamedly ripped a ton of stuff from Aliens without anyone saying anything so who knows?

When fox is dead maybe, there was a promising looking Aliens mod for Crysis that I believe was asked to cease and desist.

gently caress, i'm watching the stream now that I just got home and i'm very unsure about whether or not to cancel my pre-order. The game well, gently caress, it looks retarded. The ai is able to climb on poo poo, and does appear to do cool poo poo, but they're loving retarded at the same time, they swipe at you miss and totally stop in place in doing so. WHY!? Why the gently caress would they not keep charging as they were swiping. The regenerating health bars, oh god, why would they return to that lovely AVP style health system. Acid only seems to slightly damage you if you're literally standing in it immediately after and the amount of scripted events so far seems to just be too much to even make it entertaining on any level. Unless the game is drastically changed on Ultimate Badass difficulty then i'm gonna be pretty upset with this purchase, i'm talking at least 2x as many xenos, less retarded attacking, and dying in one swipe i.e. not the most clumsy, slow, pitiful and unthreatening aliens i've ever seen.

This seems terribly consolized to accommodate for the gamepad aiming as was mentioned. They're really gonna have to make some severe changes to make this game even remotely intense on PC if natural selection is in any indication of what kind of speed an alien has to be moving at to even be a threat to pc players, combine that with lack of incentive for marines to even split up, it's just ugh. The "press button to go into vent" seems terribly clunky and stupid it should just be an automatic action as a result of aiming at the vent and walking forward. The tail constantly clipping into the camera looks awful.

I feel like I could design a better more Aliens like multiplayer experience with just a 5 minute thought process. If they're going to go all CoD about it, why not give the xenos a killstreak/deathstreak that allows them to summon a horde of ai aliens (ala cod attack dogs) to attack with them, allowing them to overwhelm and distract so they can strike the killing blow? Why they chose to do a loving giant rhino alien that doesn't fit at all with what makes Aliens scary is beyond me. Why not allow the spitter to look like other aliens rather than having giant neon green bullshit on their head and allow it to cover an area with corrosive acid to restrict the movement of the marines (or just remove the class entirely!) Why are marines able to be revived indefinitely and so quickly, at least place a med-pack limit on marines so they can only do it once maximum without forcing them to split off to find more supplies. There's just so many crap decisions I don't get it. I hate to say this because it makes me sound like an anti console prick but frankly I don't think a true aliens experience is even meant to exist on consoles as they are now, unless they made it third person with a spin 180 button and had it control like Dead Space or something. Which reminds me of something else, why not let aliens spawn from vents, and grating to surprise marines like in dead space 2.

At the very least, if they gave aliens the ability to spawn ai aliens that look no different than they do to come in with them, then maybe their pitiful slow running speed would be less of an issue while still allowing the game to be fun on console.

I dunno what to say anymore. Should I cancel my pre-order now? *sigh* :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

It is infinitely marketing bullshit and it will never be mentioned again. If any director wants to ignore the events of this game they will. No studio on the planet is going to go "Sorry, we can't let you do that. A video game said that the colony wasn't completely destroyed!"
Time will tell. FOX has been very consistent on considering the "EU" to be "canon" for many, many years now. It hasn't just been Gearbox saying the game is canon - the official press releases from FOX and Sega have used the word, too.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Let's face it, a slower paced survival FPS would be a hard sell and they want to move millions of units with an expensive licence like Aliens.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Dave Mustard posted:

I hate to say this because it makes me sound like an anti console prick but frankly I don't think a true aliens experience is even meant to exist on consoles as they are now, unless they made it third person with a spin 180 button and had it control like Dead Space or something. Which reminds me of something else, why not let aliens spawn from vents, and grating to surprise marines like in dead space 2.

I get what you're saying but I think it's more an issue of Gearbox being incompetent than the game being designed for consoles. I mean you only need to look at the original Dead Space to see what an Aliens game could and should have been, and that was designed for console gameplay.

Also, I wouldn't expect Ultimate Badass difficulty to do anything other than increase the amount of damage alien attacks do and remove the HUD. The developer has evidently put so little thought into the actual gameplay mechanics of this release that expecting better and faster enemy AI will only lead to disappointment.

I'll also echo the absolute confusion as to why they did not include a horde mode in this game. I mean really, when I saw this had co-op my first thought was being with three other marines fighting off increasingly difficult (and infinite) waves of aliens until being overwhelmed and dying, with online leaderboards to track who reached the highest wave. 4 marines vs 4 aliens is just dull, especially since they don't pad the alien team out with AI drones.

So many bad design decisions with this game that it's absolutely staggering. It's like none of the development team even plays video games, they just watched a 5 minute reel of Call of Duty and some action scenes from Aliens and decided that's all they needed to know to make a video game with this license.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted an escape mode against AI hordes. :smith:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

I get what you're saying but I think it's more an issue of Gearbox being incompetent than the game being designed for consoles. I mean you only need to look at the original Dead Space to see what an Aliens game could and should have been, and that was designed for console gameplay.

Also, I wouldn't expect Ultimate Badass difficulty to do anything other than increase the amount of damage alien attacks do and remove the HUD. The developer has evidently put so little thought into the actual gameplay mechanics of this release that expecting better and faster enemy AI will only lead to disappointment.

I'll also echo the absolute confusion as to why they did not include a horde mode in this game. I mean really, when I saw this had co-op my first thought was being with three other marines fighting off increasingly difficult (and infinite) waves of aliens until being overwhelmed and dying, with online leaderboards to track who reached the highest wave. 4 marines vs 4 aliens is just dull, especially since they don't pad the alien team out with AI drones.

So many bad design decisions with this game that it's absolutely staggering. It's like none of the development team even plays video games, they just watched a 5 minute reel of Call of Duty and some action scenes from Aliens and decided that's all they needed to know to make a video game with this license.

I'm sure they mentioned a horde mode at some point, saying how between rounds you could weld doors shut/place sentry guns but couldn't cover all the bases and more opened up as the rounds progressed.

Or was that just wishful thinking? :ohdear:

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
I thought that was what survivor mode WAS, that's why I bought the game. What in the hell?

Also, somebody please make a gif of the lurker coming out in 'ultimate badass' mode and promptly freezing in place.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I've no idea if that's what survivor mode is, I'm just going off this quote from the IGN stream where it sounds like the developers didn't include anything like horde mode. I could be wrong of course but judging by what I'm quoting, I don't think the game has anything like that unless there's some misunderstanding?

limited posted:

Catching up, and watching the IGN stream during the multiplayer section, I got laughing at the Q&A.

:eng101: 'Question from so-and-so, is there a horde mode?'
:stare: 'A what..?'
:eng101: 'Horde mode.'
:stare: 'Umm.. Err.. So yeah, about those four multiplayer modes we've got.. Uhh..'

Come on. NOBODY in the multiplayer team thought a horde mode would be a good idea? What the hell

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

I've no idea if that's what survivor mode is, I'm just going off this quote from the IGN stream where it sounds like the developers didn't include anything like horde mode. I could be wrong of course but judging by what I'm quoting, I don't think the game has anything like that unless there's some misunderstanding?

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/aliens_colonial_marines/b/ps3/archive/2012/11/21/your-team-will-die-in-survival-mode.aspx

There is a survival mode. Which is great because that is the only mode i play in Left 4 Dead 2 these days.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

limited posted:

Come on. NOBODY in the multiplayer team thought a horde mode would be a good idea? What the hell, getting together with buddies and mowing down hordes of bugs? I'm pretty sure that could've sold the game right there for most fans of the movie. It looks like so much fun getting gunned down by marines camping in a room over and over half the time as a alien in the generic TDM garbage instead.:what:

Rebellion's latest AvP game had horde mode and it got boring real fast.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

pixelbaron posted:

Rebellion's latest AvP game had horde mode and it got boring real fast.

Thats because they were dark as hell, only had 2 maps, and were implemented awfully. It sent you back to the lobby every time you failed instead of actually just letting you restart immediately with no loading.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I didn't mind the darkness, the maps were way too small though.

I assume this game isn't going to have a server browser or anything?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hate to say it, but this is going to be a Steam Christmas sale 2013/2014 purchase for me.

Watched the 2 hour game play, its not bad looking and it could be scary playing alone at night. But not worth buying day one.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Dave Mustard posted:

*snip*

gently caress, i'm watching the stream now that I just got home and i'm very unsure about whether or not to cancel my pre-order. The game well, gently caress, it looks retarded. The ai is able to climb on poo poo, and does appear to do cool poo poo, but they're loving retarded at the same time, they swipe at you miss and totally stop in place in doing so. WHY!? Why the gently caress would they not keep charging as they were swiping. The regenerating health bars, oh god, why would they return to that lovely AVP style health system. Acid only seems to slightly damage you if you're literally standing in it immediately after and the amount of scripted events so far seems to just be too much to even make it entertaining on any level. Unless the game is drastically changed on Ultimate Badass difficulty then i'm gonna be pretty upset with this purchase, i'm talking at least 2x as many xenos, less retarded attacking, and dying in one swipe i.e. not the most clumsy, slow, pitiful and unthreatening aliens i've ever seen.

*snip*

I watched about half of the video, and as far as I see, the regenerating health bars aren't bad. You get three bars, and if you lose a bar, you lose it until you get a medpack, which only seem to appear around checkpoints. The guy also mentions that on the average difficulty, an alien will take you out in three direct shots. From what I saw, the aliens were fast (relatively) to the marines, and all it would take is three aliens ganging up on you and then game over. I think that's a pretty decent compromise? I guess if you want Aliens: The Dying Game, you could always give AliensRL a shot.

As far as acid goes, he also mentions in the video that the damage escalates with difficulty. Based on the description of Ultimate Badass mode, I would guess it's probably a death sentence, and I would guess one acid splash plus an Alien rake would be enough to do you in. Admittedly, I didn't see any of the bugs mentioned or anything because I didn't want to watch too much, since I get the feeling I'll enjoy it. Game looks like the best of its kind yet, even if it's not perfect. I don't really understand why everyone is getting their underwear in a bunch and being hypercritical, other than the fact that the Alien fanbase has been burned so many times, most of them are probably walking around looking kinda Freddy Krueger-ish at this point.

I am pretty convinced that playing it on Ultimate Badass will be suitably similar as an experience to Aliens the movie, maybe with a few concessions in terms of game stuff(melee not ending in tears every time for the marines, acid not resulting in instant death, lower numbers than the massive swarms to the end of the story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
It just looks boring. How many different variations of an Alien are there really? Probably not enough to hold my interest.

• Locked thread