Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is this a new narrator for the tamage segment?
Seems so, the previous narrator was Yuuko Takeda who was an announcer for Fuji TV. Now it's some other girl called Naoto Tashiro. I did read something on the maternity leave thing Takeda had so, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've noticed some subtitle typos and other errors in a couple of recent videos and saw that they were both from the two new translators. I'm glad there are more translators on board to help bring GCCX to the English-speaking fan community, but the flubs chip away at the overall excellent quality of GCCX subs. Do you have someone to give subs a once-over before they're timed and inserted? Do you need someone? I'd be happy to lend a hand.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Hirayuki posted:

I've noticed some subtitle typos and other errors in a couple of recent videos and saw that they were both from the two new translators. I'm glad there are more translators on board to help bring GCCX to the English-speaking fan community, but the flubs chip away at the overall excellent quality of GCCX subs. Do you have someone to give subs a once-over before they're timed and inserted? Do you need someone? I'd be happy to lend a hand.

I don't think this is a new problem, I usually notice at least one typo per episode. It's always pretty minor stuff, but it trips me up when watching.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Guys, I think we're overlooking something important:

Why IS a jelly like a crow?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I don't think this is a new problem, I usually notice at least one typo per episode. It's always pretty minor stuff, but it trips me up when watching.
One typo I can understand and forgive, but when it's multiple typos per episode, it goes beyond distracting into annoying.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Guys, I think we're overlooking something important:

Why IS a jelly like a crow?
Both have an undying hatred and comprehend revenge, and they both feed upon the souls of humanity. :stare:

...or was that mudcrabs? Or was it slimes, dammit I'm not good with these!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

One typo I can understand and forgive, but when it's multiple typos per episode, it goes beyond distracting into annoying.

Ask for your money back. Or see what other translation teams have to offer?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Blackchamber posted:

Ask for your money back. Or see what other translation teams have to offer?

This is kind of why I never mentioned it, but at the same time I don't think something being free should mean you can't criticism it, especially when the criticism could only strengthen the product. By the same logic we shouldn't have complained about TV Nihon's super literal translations back when they were the only ones subbing GCCX.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For the second time we've got an episode finished before the next episode of Game Center CX airs. Are you ready for the epic conclusion of Yoshi's Island?

And just as before, zari-gani translated this episode from her remote Dinosaur Island lair.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 825.54 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Regarding typos and other errors, I don't want to make excuses for them since we want the final results to be as good as possible but I do want to ask for a bit of understanding. Getting a single episode done is a huge project. It's around thirty to forty man-hours per episode. Episode 153 was the only thing I did yesterday and I still had hours of work today to finish it up today. A script is over one thousand lines of dialog. So while we work hard to catch errors and fix mistakes things are going to slip through, especially in those late, dark hours when we've been at it for too long.

I'm sorry that they happen and I kick myself when I see them afterward. And saying when we've done something wrong encourages us to do better next time.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 3, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

For the second time we've got an episode finished before the next episode of Game Center CX airs. Are you ready for the epic conclusion of Yoshi's Island?

And just as before, zari-gani translated this episode from her remote Dinosaur Island lair.

View torrent stats

Direct Download
AWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Wow now to wait for the Youtube upload for those of us less tech-savvy! Sweet work guys! :haw:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Oh please. I'm just saying, I haven't noticed the typos, so it's not such an annoyance to everyone. Now in this current challenge, Arino doesn't seem to be super enamored with Yoshi's Island, and also it seems super long- with the amount of times they've had to summarize levels with "and he clears 4-2 with ease, and 4-3 as well." I think he's really suited for those old and archaic Famicom games, rather than "newer" SNES games. The battle with Bowser is coming up though and I'm sure that will be great. :)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

This is kind of why I never mentioned it, but at the same time I don't think something being free should mean you can't criticism it, especially when the criticism could only strengthen the product. By the same logic we shouldn't have complained about TV Nihon's super literal translations back when they were the only ones subbing GCCX.

It's one thing to tell the crew about a specific typo you found. Speaking generally about lowered quality and whether you should complain about typos/not complain about typos/etc is pretty stupid. If you find a typo, let them know.

This is not rocket science, people.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Okay, can anyone tell me where the "Retro Game Museum" is in Akihabara?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

View torrent stats

Direct Download

Will be watching Part 2 tomorrow as I am rooting for my Home team Baltimore Ravens for the Super Bowl. Everyone else enjoy the sub!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Okay, can anyone tell me where the "Retro Game Museum" is in Akihabara?

I've already added it to the map:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=204441416315783971638.0004bdc12995a3d16a8b6

Edit: Er... I had added to the map but it looks like Google Maps didn't save my edit. I'll do that right now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Random Stranger posted:

View torrent stats

Oh man, thank you guys. I wanted to watch this episode series since it got released like two weeks ago, haha. I'm happy y'all got right to it.

Though now, admittedly, I'm kind of disappointed--not in your work, no, but just how they don't really show many of the stages, just the goals and bosses. I wanted to see Arino's reaction to turning into a submarine and poo poo.

joek0 posted:

Will be watching Part 2 tomorrow as I am rooting for my Home team Baltimore Ravens for the Super Bowl. Everyone else enjoy the sub!
Admittedly, the Chargers are my boys because once you've marched a halftime field show for 'em, they kinda gotta be your home team, but SF? Next best thing. Them's fightin' words :colbert:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I wanted to see Arino's reaction to turning into a submarine and poo poo.

I bet it's something like "Waaa- abunai!"

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

No theres nothing wrong with pointing out typos in a constructive way. Hirayuki did it right the first-time by offering to help and I didn't say boo about it.

Then he called it annoying which I think is the dick move for something thats being done for free for our enjoyment. Theres a difference between negativity and criticism.

Edit: annoying and unforgivable is what he said.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's annoying because I know the team can do, has done, is doing better with other titles. Just because a product is free doesn't mean its quality can't slip, and given all the hard work that everyone on the team puts into these videos, I don't want to see that happen. Granted, we're a long, long way from sinking to TV Nihon levels of "quality" here!

Random Stranger, again, I'd be happy to give any script one last review. I translate and proofread for a living.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

It's annoying because I know the team can do, has done, is doing better with other titles. Just because a product is free doesn't mean its quality can't slip, and given all the hard work that everyone on the team puts into these videos, I don't want to see that happen. Granted, we're a long, long way from sinking to TV Nihon levels of "quality" here!

Random Stranger, again, I'd be happy to give any script one last review. I translate and proofread for a living.

Again I didn't have a problem with you pointing out where the translations could be better.

Unforgivable how annoying it is? Those aren't terms you use as constructive criticism. Acknowledge it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Random Stranger posted:

I've already added it to the map:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=204441416315783971638.0004bdc12995a3d16a8b6

Edit: Er... I had added to the map but it looks like Google Maps didn't save my edit. I'll do that right now.

:shh: You're off by a building, but I found it. Just go one building to the left. Shame that Google can't update their maps more often. (Street View shows you a computer shop where the arcade is now.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

Unforgivable how annoying it is? Those aren't terms you use as constructive criticism. Acknowledge it.
I never said that.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Not directly no. If one typo is forgivable, what is many? And your issue is the multiple typos.

And annoying is plainly there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I cannot believe anyone cares this much about a couple of typos

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

Granted, we're a long, long way from sinking to TV Nihon levels of "quality" here!

I never had any problems with TV Nihon's subs, or at least nothing that doesn't also apply to SA Team's subs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jamesman posted:

I never had any problems with TV Nihon's subs, or at least nothing that doesn't also apply to SA Team's subs.

You're pretty alone there.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Jamesman posted:

"This is just like Biohazard!"

"Translator's Note: Biohazard is the Japanese version of Resident Evil"

:shepface:

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Not GCCX but:

:psyduck:

e: I don't think typos need to be called annoying, they're totally understandable mistakes. But TV Nihon's quirks are annoying because they're 100% deliberate. They specifically do very annoying things as part of their "style", it's not just honest mistakes.

GidgetNomates fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 3, 2013

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Blackchamber posted:

Not directly no. If one typo is forgivable, what is many? And your issue is the multiple typos.

And annoying is plainly there.

loving let it go dude. You can't hear tone on the internet and nobody wants to read you two fighting about he-said-she-said bullshit.

SAGCCX has a higher quality of release than almost any other fan translation group, we are all super grateful for the work they do, and everyone makes little mistakes. We've acknowledged that, let's move on.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Please don't say mean things with Arino avatars. :(

Can't wait to watch Yoshi's Island tonight. :3:

raven4267
May 7, 2009
I just recently discovered this show and wanted to say thanks to everyone for their translation work! A friend told me about GCCX and I downloaded the Castlevania 3 episode to give the show a try. Watching Arino try to finish level 7(falling block level) was hilarious. It definitely brought me back to my own childhood. I was hooked after that, and have already watched most of the other episodes.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jamesman posted:

Yea, I can deal with them, but Ive been a OnePiece/Jojo comic nerd for a while now, so Im pretty used to reading stuff like "Last crimes done even rats in sewer would puke because of its sickness nature". After a while you can look past the wierd mangled english.

Thats not to say I don't appreciate a professional level translation! Thanks for all your hard work guys!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Don't most groups have someone who proof reads the scripts or does quality control on the final episode? If someone is offering their help then I don't see why you wouldn't accept it. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the new episodes.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Meme Emulator posted:

Yea, I can deal with them, but Ive been a OnePiece/Jojo comic nerd for a while now, so Im pretty used to reading stuff like "Last crimes done even rats in sewer would puke because of its sickness nature". After a while you can look past the wierd mangled english.

Oh man, I watched Saiyuki almost all the way through on those old Hong Kong bootlegs, and the decline in English over the series was amazing. The first few discs were pretty good quality, almost professional, but it just went downhill and at one point stopped being understandable for almost 30 episodes. The decline was so gradual I could keep going because yeah, you just get used to it.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

loving let it go dude. You can't hear tone on the internet and nobody wants to read you two fighting about he-said-she-said bullshit.

SAGCCX has a higher quality of release than almost any other fan translation group, we are all super grateful for the work they do, and everyone makes little mistakes. We've acknowledged that, let's move on.

When you make things people like, it's ok to not strive for the highest quality possible! Let me tell you how much I love mediocrity.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
You know, there does exist a perfectly reasonable way to discuss the minor issue of occasional typos in the subs.

This last page of posts was not it. Not even close.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If a typo slips in, you can't change it. You need to do all sorts of re-encoding and uploading to produce and share a new, fixed version of the hardsubbed video, which has already been done with many of the episodes. This is not hard to understand. Either give information on existing individual typos to the SAGCCX team or punch yourself in the scrotum until the magical gnomes inside your head stop telling you to post the same drat pointless posts over and over again.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

A new episode AND a new shitfit, love you guys

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
The translation team deserves more credit than usual this time around! The quick turnaround on these episodes makes this thread tolerable even when people are sniping at each other.

Keep up the good work, guys! :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the two-part Yoshi's Island! The evening went nicely with the episodes waiting for the Super bowl. It's amazing to think how fast you guys worked to translate the most recent episodes.

The Barcode battle is a fun little sequence. I vaguely remember those devices being sold here as well in the 90's and kids going around shops scanning various products to fight each other.