Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I just noticed that when Max see his first spirit, it's a Doctopi that's come to feed on Johnny's pain after Max bounced a scooter off his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

7c Nickel posted:

I just noticed that when Max see his first spirit, it's a Doctopi that's come to feed on Johnny's pain after Max bounced a scooter off his face.

Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't put those together - that explains why he didn't feel the scooter imprint.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Yo just wanna point out the color theory on zack's latest page. It's strong as heck, look at Isaac's hair. So Good...I hope he finds a way to monitize this, it's so good and strong and true and awesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As well as the hair spikes, Isaac's spirit causes him to forever have a curl of hair following him around just behind his head.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So let me get this straight

Tools and Mediums start to resemble their spirit right?

...Does this mean Max is going to start lugging around a big black dildo looking bat :ohdear:

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
More like the tip of his bat splits open into a snake face and bites people. That's what I think would be cool anyway.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

tinaun posted:

The doofy face was here, in chapter one.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. No idea how I got those wires crossed.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Have they mentioned what happens to the object when the spirit leaves it's host object/medium?
I get the feeling something bad will happen to Issac when it does...the medium/spirit relationship sounds like a symbiotic relationship...
but what happens when it abruptly ends? Having the spirit just leave makes it sound a lot like a parasite that feeds off the host and then moves on.

This comic reminds me so much of Earthbound I'm worried its going to nose-dive into complete nightmare fuel any second.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

scarycave posted:

Have they mentioned what happens to the object when the spirit leaves it's host object/medium?
I get the feeling something bad will happen to Issac when it does...the medium/spirit relationship sounds like a symbiotic relationship...
but what happens when it abruptly ends? Having the spirit just leave makes it sound a lot like a parasite that feeds off the host and then moves on.

This comic reminds me so much of Earthbound I'm worried its going to nose-dive into complete nightmare fuel any second.

Isaac strongly implies that the object/Spectral just loses the spirit's powers and the spirit goes on its way, at which point the Spectral is free to use another Tool or get possessed again.

Like people said before, the real threat is whether or not the spirit should just remain sealed. See again: Magnet Snake.

If Tools feed off the power that arises from Spectrals then Izzy's must be loving bottomless, that girl apparently can't turn a corner without trying to go all Attila the Hun on every paranormal entity in her line of sight

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 3, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

If Tools feed off the power that arises from Spectrals than Izzy's must be loving bottomless, that girl apparently can't turn a corner without trying to go all Attila the Hun on every paranormal entity in her line of sight

Not to mention she uses it to build herself chairs or horses to ride on.

(Don't blame her, I would too. But mine would be a lion.)

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Oxxidation posted:

Isaac strongly implies that the object/Spectral just loses the spirit's powers and the spirit goes on its way, at which point the Spectral is free to use another Tool or get possessed again.

Like people said before, the real threat is whether or not the spirit should just remain sealed. See again: Magnet Snake.

Guess I'm just being paranoid then, always get the feeling that everything's going to turn out to have been a conspiracy or something.
The Magnet Snake is going to turn out to be a great big softy. Then again...this means that people really need to be careful how often they use an object then - it's like Mp, except the apocalypse will happen when it runs out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, I doubt apocalypse-spirits come along that often, or the world would have ended at some point already. I mean, it's three twelve year olds and a teacher, aside from The Events That Will Ensue In The Main Plot I doubt that things would change much if they weren't there, or at some point they would have before all this.

And most spirits seem quite nice - maybe a lot of the ones in tools were, so recharging them isn't a worry.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, I doubt apocalypse-spirits come along that often, or the world would have ended at some point already. I mean, it's three twelve year olds and a teacher, aside from The Events That Will Ensue In The Main Plot I doubt that things would change much if they weren't there, or at some point they would have before all this.

And most spirits seem quite nice - maybe a lot of the ones in tools were, so recharging them isn't a worry.

That's the thing...everything seems a bit too nice...then again I think its just been awhile since I read something that wasn't trying to be dead serious or this light-hearted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, I'm sure serious poo poo is going to go down. See magnet-snake, at the very least. That one doesn't look too friendly. That kind of crap is what the main narrative is for, but that doesn't have to be the implied norm the rest of the time.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This is a random aside, but I've been speculating for a while now that Dimitri's totally a spectral. I have little to no evidence to back this up, but I'm sticking with it :colbert:

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

kidcoelacanth posted:

This is a random aside, but I've been speculating for a while now that Dimitri's totally a spectral. I have little to no evidence to back this up, but I'm sticking with it :colbert:

Check out the panel with the body part snatching spirt on this page: http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-5/

If you look closely under Isaac's speech bubble, you can see an extra person was with them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Check out the panel with the body part snatching spirt on this page: http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-5/

If you look closely under Isaac's speech bubble, you can see an extra person was with them.

Oh yeah! There are black body parts in there. The Dimitri Theory grows stronger...

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sweet vindication.

There's also been other hints to more spectrals being around that I noticed while re-reading some stuff this morning: On this page Isaac implies someone else started seeing spirits and snapped.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

And later on this page, Dmitri seems to be familiar with the Activities Club.

I'm getting huge One Piece vibes from Suzy's face there in panel 9

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Does Morrison ever stop doing these awful ragefaces? I'm 35 pages in and I really want to like this comic, but seeing those things sucks me right out of the story and makes me cringe.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kestral posted:

Does Morrison ever stop doing these awful ragefaces? I'm 35 pages in and I really want to like this comic, but seeing those things sucks me right out of the story and makes me cringe.

You sir, don't get Paranatural. :colbert: The faces are half the fun!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
To be fair, the first chapter is really rough in terms of both the art and the writing. The second and third chapters are strikingly better and much more consistent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Goddamn it blows my mind that in this day and age, there's a hand-pencilled and hand-inked comic out there that's going strong and as good as this. That vid is awesome, this comic is awesome.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't see anybody else in Mr. Spender's office, which panel are we talking about :confused:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the activity club was only the beginning of the weirdness at Mayview Middle School.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the activity club was only the beginning of the weirdness at Mayview Middle School.

Considering Mr. wossnames was floating face-up in the stream Max chased Johnny over I think that's a safe bet.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

Considering Mr. wossnames was floating face-up in the stream Max chased Johnny over I think that's a safe bet.
If you look in the background in the freaky sights comic, you can see him also slinking away!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tollymain posted:

I don't see anybody else in Mr. Spender's office, which panel are we talking about :confused:

Check out panel 5 of this page:

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

That's where this comes in:

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah! There are black body parts in there. The Dimitri Theory grows stronger...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If you look in the background in the freaky sights comic, you can see him also slinking away!

Ha, holy poo poo. I know there's a ton of this stuff in the background, but I always keep seeing more every time I re-read a page. Don't think I would have noticed this one though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Something I just noticed, but you can see Isaac charging up his lightning way back in the first chapter.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

This just caused me to read through the rest of the chapter, Gunnerkrigg style. Johnny :allears:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mazerunner posted:

Something I just noticed, but you can see Isaac charging up his lightning way back in the first chapter.
Spender's glasses are his tool holy poo poo.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Maybe they used to be regualar glasses that turned black over time. Soon, they'll also be pointed at the ends, anime-style.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think he's actually a medium, and his sunglasses are covering up the sign of his possession.

Also, he either has a black aura or crazy shadow powers.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Spender's glasses are his tool holy poo poo.

If you'll look at the image that says Paranatural by Zach Morrison at the top, you can see Spender's shades chilling with Max's bat, Izzy's book, and Ed's brush. It also looks like Spender controls both black and white spectral energy, if I'm reading that page right.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

red plastic cup posted:

If you'll look at the image that says Paranatural by Zach Morrison at the top, you can see Spender's shades chilling with Max's bat, Izzy's book, and Ed's brush. It also looks like Spender controls both black and white spectral energy, if I'm reading that page right.

His energy is yellow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

red plastic cup posted:

His spectral energy is orange. No idea what his glasses were doing in that panel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

red plastic cup posted:

If you'll look at the image that says Paranatural by Zach Morrison at the top, you can see Spender's shades chilling with Max's bat, Izzy's book, and Ed's brush.

I feel like there should be a spike of yellow hair there too.

Isaac is too awesome to be left out.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I love this and I want more of this.

He made a really great desktop background and posted it to the Paranatural Facebook page if anyone's interested.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anyone feel that he'd get a lot more readers picking this up if he redid the first... eight or so pages? I was initially turned off by the first page when I saw it, not knowing that it hikes practically up to the current level of quality within just a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Anyone feel that he'd get a lot more readers picking this up if he redid the first... eight or so pages? I was initially turned off by the first page when I saw it, not knowing that it hikes practically up to the current level of quality within just a few.

If he posted 3 times a week and redid those pages, he'd be rolling in mad black market greens.