Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I didn't mean to scare you guys! I'm pretty sure what happened to me is strange & you should not be worried it'll happen to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

GoreJess posted:

I didn't mean to scare you guys! I'm pretty sure what happened to me is strange & you should not be worried it'll happen to you.

I'm not actua;;y physically scared, its just that...that sounds SO EXHAUSTING.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Hastings posted:

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to move from birthing pool/tub to epidural at the hospital?

It depends on your hospital and healthcare provider, but I labored in the tub for a while and then opted to get an epidural. There was no issue.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I guess it doesn't help much my mom keeps boasting about how she's had epidurals and "Didn't feel a thing! Just pushed when the Dr's said to, and yay baby!"
Her first two were fairly small though at least, 5lbs. Then one 8lb and a 7lb-er. (Hey if she did it four times it couldn't be that bad right? :) )

I'm not afraid of contractions and dilating and such..I think I can handle pain pretty decently. I'm just terrified of the idea of a baby coming out of me, and tearing, and what else it could do to me. I'm a pretty petite girl...and I just hate normal gyno exams and find them uncomfortable sometimes painful. :sigh:

When it comes down to it...I know I'll do whatever it takes to get this baby in my arms healthy and sound. I felt that way before I even got pregnant, but it's still scary to think about the delivery!

Also. I feel like a huge newbie but what do you guys mean by back labor? That the pain is felt mostly in your back? Or that you were laying on your back?

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Greycious posted:

I guess it doesn't help much my mom keeps boasting about how she's had epidurals and "Didn't feel a thing! Just pushed when the Dr's said to, and yay baby!"
Her first two were fairly small though at least, 5lbs. Then one 8lb and a 7lb-er. (Hey if she did it four times it couldn't be that bad right? :) )

I'm not afraid of contractions and dilating and such..I think I can handle pain pretty decently. I'm just terrified of the idea of a baby coming out of me, and tearing, and what else it could do to me. I'm a pretty petite girl...and I just hate normal gyno exams and find them uncomfortable sometimes painful. :sigh:

When it comes down to it...I know I'll do whatever it takes to get this baby in my arms healthy and sound. I felt that way before I even got pregnant, but it's still scary to think about the delivery!

Also. I feel like a huge newbie but what do you guys mean by back labor? That the pain is felt mostly in your back? Or that you were laying on your back?

Back labor is contractions and pain felt mostly in the back. The contractions I felt in my back were horrible and they were just false labor, really hoping not to go through that with the real thing.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Back labor is like cramps in the lower back. It starts in your back and wraps around your body to your abdomen.

Are epidurals the same feeling as getting a spinal? Not as far as feeling goes since obviously you're totally numb cor a c-section, but I mean the feeling of it going in your back. I'd have to say when I think of that feeling I get chills. I absolutely hated the feeling. The stabbing, the awful liquid feeling going into my spine, then the heavy liquid falling down through my back to my lower half. So awful. I was crying the whole time (Well part of it was nerves because I was in labor and had only found out I was getting a c-section an hour before).

Honestly I'm terrified I'll need to feel that again if I need another c-section. Yeah the recovery was awful but it's a totally different category as far as mentally being able to go through it.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Perhaps see if your anaesthetist will let you get your next spinal lying down?

I had the sitting up spinal for my c-section (the description re: the stuff going in - my guy said 'You will feel some warmth in your bottom, like you have wet yourself' which is very accurate).

I had to have another spinal 2 weeks later to have an abscess surgically taken care of and the lady I had then let me get it while lying on my side - it didn't have that really weird feeling to it like it does when sitting up. No warm butt.

She gave me the spinal instead of a general because I was breastfeeding, she said she doesn't like putting breastfeeding women under if she can help it it gets into the breastmilk a bit and makes babies sluggish so you have to pump and dump & she tries to avoid that.

iwik fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 3, 2013

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

(I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, this just ticks all my nerd love boxes :ohdear: )

No worries.

KidSpot.com.au said it's the Danish form of Thor.

Think Baby Names mensions the roman also mentions Old Norse.

BabyCenter.com.au says it means 'God of War'.

So it's sort of everywhere. Does it ring true at all or are these sites peddling lies.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Any tips for dealing with Pelvic Girdle Pain? I'm 32 weeks and getting achy/burning pain deep in my butt. I'm pretty sure it's PGP and not sciatica because the pain doesn't go down my legs and it switches from buttock to buttock and sometimes I feel it in both at the same time. It started last week with just standing and walking around but now I have it when laying down too and it made sleeping last night difficult.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

An Cat Dubh posted:

Any tips for dealing with Pelvic Girdle Pain? I'm 32 weeks and getting achy/burning pain deep in my butt. I'm pretty sure it's PGP and not sciatica because the pain doesn't go down my legs and it switches from buttock to buttock and sometimes I feel it in both at the same time. It started last week with just standing and walking around but now I have it when laying down too and it made sleeping last night difficult.

Filter my posts in this thread. I had it REALLY bad and was asking the same thing. I did share what I was able to find out about it and how I helped alleviate it somewhat.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Greycious posted:

This was pretty much me. I'm petite, very sensitive during exams. I had a large baby who got a little stuck on the way out (her shoulder) and suffered third degree tearing. Honestly I didn't feel any of that at the time, I was just happy to push against the contractions (I did have back labor and it sucked). The tearing was painful for about 3 weeks but bearable. After about 4 weeks I felt mostly normal. So it's not that bad after the first couple of days. You just have to take it easy and sit on an ice pack for a bit. Some women don't tear though, so you might be lucky!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

iwik posted:

Does it ring true at all or are these sites peddling lies.

None of the sites listed their sources, but I found the same thing stated on several other English language baby name sites, but nowhere else.

I tried looking for any mention of that meaning on Danish or Norwegian sites, but couldn't find anything even remotely related, and it just doesn't seem very likely at all to me. My best guess is that it's been confused with one of Tors names - Sönnungr, meaning possibly "the true one", and then all the baby name sites are just quoting one another.

I need to ask my old etymology professor about this, out of sheer fascination.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
Is back labor more likely if you get back cramps during your period? My mother told me that once. I learned at the first exam with my midwife that I have an extremely tilted uterus (well, not right now), so I'm wondering if that's why I always had back cramps.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
A lot of times it can be caused by the baby being posterior (face up).

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

frenchnewwave posted:

This was pretty much me. I'm petite, very sensitive during exams. I had a large baby who got a little stuck on the way out (her shoulder) and suffered third degree tearing. Honestly I didn't feel any of that at the time, I was just happy to push against the contractions (I did have back labor and it sucked). The tearing was painful for about 3 weeks but bearable. After about 4 weeks I felt mostly normal. So it's not that bad after the first couple of days. You just have to take it easy and sit on an ice pack for a bit. Some women don't tear though, so you might be lucky!

My daughter's shoulder got stuck and nicked me on the way out. I had a slight internal tear that didn't require stitches and there was no pain afterwards. I don't think being petite has anything to do with it (I'm short stature and could be classified as petite, as well). I think it has more to do with your pelvis and how the baby is positioned. If the baby is positioned the wrong way, no matter if you're petite or not, you're likely going to tear.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Totally, I agree. I apologize if it came across that I thought petite women have more chance of tearing. Just sharing that I had the same fears but it turned out to not be that bad.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 15, 2019

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'm only 5'1" and very small and I tore right above my mons :cry:

during my c-section.

travelsized
Feb 21, 2006
I'm already worrying about tearing and I know I should stop. I'm also really petite (first thing my OB said to me at my first appointment: "oh you're tiny!") Also I was 8 lbs 5 oz, and my husband was somewhere around 9 1/2 lbs. so I have this fear of having a giant baby. On top of that, every woman I've known whose given birth in the last year has torn.

On the plus side I went to Target and bought a couple of those soft sleeping bras! Tried one last night and it was very comfortable.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Sockmuppet posted:

I need to ask my old etymology professor about this, out of sheer fascination.

I'd be really interested to know what your research comes up with, you've got me super intrigued now.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any tips for excessive crying? My son is about 6 weeks old, and during the evenings when he's not feeding it's very difficult to get him to settle, and he'll scream and cry for up to an hour at a time.

We've tried burping him, taking him to a dark quiet room, singing gently to him, and just holding him, but sometimes none of them will work. My girlfriend finds it quite upsetting (and exhausting) and she ends up just feeding him a lot because it's the only thing that'll settle him down for a while.

Is there such a thing as too much feeding for such a young baby? During the day he'll feed maybe every couple of hours, but in the evening when he's being so fussy it can be more frequent than that. He's also very clingy most of the time, and won't tolerate Mum not being in constant physical contact unless he's fast asleep.

I guess most of this is just normal behaviour for a young baby, but we just want a little reassurance. :)

Also, bonus pics of the little dude!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
It's totally normal, Bardeh. You and your girlfriend's mantra right now should be: "This too shall pass."

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussy-evening/

quote:

One frequently-heard explanation for baby’s fussiness in the evenings is that milk volume tends to be lower in the evening due to the natural cycling of hormones throughout the day. However, Dr. Peter Hartmann, a breastfeeding researcher, has said that in the women he has studied, milk volume is not low at this time of day. Even if milk volume is lower in the evening, fat content is typically higher in the evening (particularly if baby is allowed to control this via cue feeding), so the amount of calories that baby is getting should not be significantly different. Milk flow can be slower in the evening, which may be frustrating for some babies.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the link, Chickalicious, it pretty much describes his behaviour exactly! I guess we just have to wait for him to grow out of it. :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Don't worry about overfeeding, either. You really can't overfeed on breastmilk, especially so young.

edit: he's so cute :3:

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Swaddling & gently bouncing our little boy sometimes breaks the evening crying spells. Sitting on the edge of the bed & bouncing seems to be the perfect amount of movement.

If feeding makes him happy & your girlfriend can handle it, let him feed. He won't overeat while breastfeeding & just sucking can be really soothing.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Van Goober posted:

So I wanted to stop lurking and say Hi Thread before I actually have this baby. I'll be 34 weeks on Saturday (due March 16th) and so far for the most part I've been having what my OB tells me is a boring, garden-variety pregnancy. At my 20 week ultrasound they told me I'm having a girl, but when I went to tear the tags off all the girly clothes we got I panicked because AHHH what if they were wrong and I can't return anything? I work at a veterinary pathology lab and they're being super careful about what cases I'm allowed to handle, but we did have a case of turkeys with chlamydia (psittacosis, which can be not so pregnancy-friendly) come through the lab, so they wanted me to take prophylactic antibiotics just in case I accidentally came into contact with them. I ended up having to call three different doctors and explain to their receptionists that yes, turkey chlamydia is a real thing, and no, I'm not a pervert.

:laugh:

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Question for those of you who've done this before: my husband's brother is getting married 2.5 weeks before my due date, and my husband is the best man. The wedding is a 3 hour drive away, and the ceremony will be outdoors in late July in a southern state. Obviously this won't be super comfortable for a hugely pregnant person, but I'd really like to go if possible. Should I give up and decline now, or can I wait and see how I'm doing closer to the wedding? I plan to ask my OB about this closer to the date, but does anyone have a feel for how likely it is that I'll be able to go that close to my due date?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Seven for a Secret posted:

Question for those of you who've done this before: my husband's brother is getting married 2.5 weeks before my due date, and my husband is the best man. The wedding is a 3 hour drive away, and the ceremony will be outdoors in late July in a southern state. Obviously this won't be super comfortable for a hugely pregnant person, but I'd really like to go if possible. Should I give up and decline now, or can I wait and see how I'm doing closer to the wedding? I plan to ask my OB about this closer to the date, but does anyone have a feel for how likely it is that I'll be able to go that close to my due date?

If you plan it well I think it can be done. You need to stop and move a lot during your three hour drive, which shouldnt be a problem since you'll have to pee every 20 minutes anyway. It will probably be super uncomfortable though. I think it probably depends on how your pregnancy goes and so I would wait and see how you're doing closer to the wedding date.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
Bardeh,

The little guy is SO HANDSOME! What gorgeous eyes he has! :3: I hope my little boo is a looker like that. As far as feeding goes, I say do whatever it takes to keep your sanity. He may just have a high metabolism and be really hungry, so let him go on with his bad self.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There's also a growth spurt at about 6 weeks.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable being that far from home so close to my due date, but then again I was also the exception to the "First time moms always go past their due date and their labor always takes a long time" rule. I had David at not quite 37 weeks, and I had to cancel a few plans.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I missed my uncle's funeral because it was the week of my due date, and 2 hours away. =/

I also missed my grandmother's funeral because I was on my honeymoon in Japan, so I guess I have the worst luck with funerals.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I would only go if I was truly comfortable with the idea of giving birth in whatever town the wedding is in. I might do it, and the upside is at least you and your husband are in the same place should you go into labor. How do you feel about labor starting and your husband is at least 3 hours away? How do you feel about your husband leaving you and a newborn to go to the wedding? Also, everybody at that wedding is going to make some version of the comment, "You're HUGE! You look ready to pop! When's the baby due??". That will likely be as annoying as attending an outdoor summer wedding in the south.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

MoCookies posted:

I would only go if I was truly comfortable with the idea of giving birth in whatever town the wedding is in. I might do it, and the upside is at least you and your husband are in the same place should you go into labor. How do you feel about labor starting and your husband is at least 3 hours away? How do you feel about your husband leaving you and a newborn to go to the wedding? Also, everybody at that wedding is going to make some version of the comment, "You're HUGE! You look ready to pop! When's the baby due??". That will likely be as annoying as attending an outdoor summer wedding in the south.

Yeah, it's not something I'd want to do...I'm two weeks from delivery now and the idea of a three hour car trip, not to mention an outdoor wedding in the summer, sounds like hell. Keep in mind that at 38 weeks you're likely to be dealing with lots of physical discomfort and may have lots of difficulty sleeping. At this point all I want to do is lounge around in bed. At the end of the day i guess it depends on how well you tolerate discomfort and how willing you are to potentially give birth away from home and your doctor.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hastings posted:

Bardeh,

The little guy is SO HANDSOME! What gorgeous eyes he has! :3: I hope my little boo is a looker like that. As far as feeding goes, I say do whatever it takes to keep your sanity. He may just have a high metabolism and be really hungry, so let him go on with his bad self.

His Mum is Thai and I'm British, we've been arguing who he looks like more, I say it's definitely me. :colbert: He's such a little cutie though, I love him to bits. :3

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think we'll try swaddling him more often too in the evenings. We haven't been doing it as often in the last couple of weeks because he seems to like kicking his little legs around while he's drinking, but maybe the feeling of confinement will calm him down a little.

Seven for a Secret I'd just see how you feel closer to the time. I'm sure everyone will understand if you're not able to make it, and it won't be much of a hassle for anyone involved if you pull out nearer to the wedding. It might be more of a hassle if you cancel now, and then decide you feel up to going, what with catering, seating etc etc.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

If you are still pregnant: I wouldn't go, but being that your husband kinda has to be there, I'd drive up at least a day before and make yourself comfy in the hotel/family member's house with TV/kindle and snacks. I wouldn't attend the wedding, but make your husband keep his cellphone on in case you need him. Then everyone can be all excited when he runs out of the church/ceremony site yelling "I'm gonna be a daddy!". Then, if the reception is air conditioned or in a cooler location, go to that and sit the whole time and make people bring you cake. Have a family member to bring you back to your room/place you are staying if you get tired. Then, drive home the next day or later. Also, check with your insurance and see what hospitals in the area you would want to go to if you needed to or your water broke or something.

If you've had the baby and everyone is home: can your husband do his speech by skype or something? Then he's still doing his duty without you being home with a newborn. Add the skype thing to the still pregnant bit too.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Bardeh posted:

Seven for a Secret I'd just see how you feel closer to the time. I'm sure everyone will understand if you're not able to make it, and it won't be much of a hassle for anyone involved if you pull out nearer to the wedding. It might be more of a hassle if you cancel now, and then decide you feel up to going, what with catering, seating etc etc.

Pretty much. You could be totally fine, just majorly pregnant. I was still working, driving myself around, and pretty active right up until I started labor at 7 days overdue. Long car rides I couldn't drive because I had to really recline my seat or else I would majorly cramp after a couple hours.

I would plan for possibly having to give birth in a different hospital, do some research ahead of time as to what's closest and best, and pack a bag just in case. And make sure the wedding always has a place for you to sit.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Bardeh posted:

His Mum is Thai and I'm British, we've been arguing who he looks like more, I say it's definitely me. :colbert: He's such a little cutie though, I love him to bits. :3

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think we'll try swaddling him more often too in the evenings. We haven't been doing it as often in the last couple of weeks because he seems to like kicking his little legs around while he's drinking, but maybe the feeling of confinement will calm him down a little.

If you get a swaddleme, it'll cover his legs without confining. :) Best of both worlds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Bardeh posted:

My son hates having his legs confined too & we've had success with the Halo sleep sack swaddlers. It gives him lots of room to kick, but keeps his arms from flailing around.