Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god Little Inferno. Everything's on fire! :supaburn:

p.s. buy Little Inferno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

PFlats posted:

Annoyed at myself right now; I misinterpreted the Church's ability in Pixel People. "+1 land per purchase" means you get 1 new square of land each time you buy the upgrade at the Church, not that you'll get 11/12/etc land per normal land purchase. Thought it'd be like the heart thing. Wish I had figured that out before I spent 16 space gems on it. Oh well. Learn from my mistake.

If it makes you feel any better, I did the exact same thing. I have no idea why I had do the purchase twice before I realized how useless it is.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Congratulations to Pixel People for being the first game ever to get an in-app purchase out of me. I bought the...thing that makes all your businesses run twice as long.

Again, somehow the fact that it was completely optional made it a lot easier of a purchase for me. At the end of the day, I don't have a problem giving money to people who make free-to-play games, I just don't like to give it to designers who force purchases out of you because 9 times out of 10 they achieve this through really terrible game design.

I've always preferred thinking of in-app purchases as being like a "tip jar." You throw a dollar in more as a show of appreciation for good game design than to get something vital to completing the experience.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Remember that you can upgrade businesses in Pixel People by tapping the business and selecting Stats. Each upgrade costs 3u and doubles their work duration. Upgrade the long duration buildings first, like the University, so you can get added hours of income instead of minutes.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Duranki posted:

Let's see...Pixel People, Dream of Pixels, Pixel Quest, and now eBoy FixPix. loving pixels everywhere!

Sure is great to have a high-res screen, so everyone can do 8-bit pixel art for their games. :smith:

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I like Clash of Heroes, but drat if selecting things isn't annoying even with zooming.

Haven't had performance issues though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah, the game can be tough at times already, so flat out making moves you didn't want to really compounds that frustration.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Telex posted:

Sure is great to have a high-res screen, so everyone can do 8-bit pixel art for their games. :smith:

Oh phew. I was starting to think I was the only one with that opinion. :unsmith:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Beelzebozo posted:

Oh phew. I was starting to think I was the only one with that opinion. :unsmith:

I'm with you. "Retro" is getting really old now. Shame, as I love the style, just wish it wasn't used everywhere.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, the only difference is that the restock timers on your buildings are wayyyyy lower than most ville games so unless you baby this app like a tamagotchi, you're never getting anywhere. This isn't a game where you can check in twice a day, you have to check every hour or more to keep making money.

You can upgrade every building to go a lot further before you need to restock, but yeah it's still pretty low. My business square goes for 50 minutes but my town hall goes for 5 hours. Both at max level (5).

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Beelzebozo posted:

I have been saying this for a while now :(

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
Here are some codes for Fibble HD.

https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=3R396F7WW4WM
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=46RMFEJT3NJ6
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=PAX9637N943J
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=N6WHW46MJAMP
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=AJPLTYNMA494
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=Y7MT6MJAYE9K
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=JHMJ4T9NKTP6
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=MPAEWYLMKMT9
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=AW36XLNWX96T
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=MFLNT4FT49AR
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=YTLM3H6YE4EW
https://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/freeProductCodeWizard?code=LFXK3P3XH6M7

Hopefully I typed them all in correctly. If not I'll just take pictures of them all, like in olden times.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Got the last one, thanks a lot!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Got one of them, thanks!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Used the third one, thanks a lot.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Wow, the first one was still available when I got it. That's never happened before. Thanks!

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'm with you. "Retro" is getting really old now. Shame, as I love the style, just wish it wasn't used everywhere.

It's only used so often because it's easy to do by independent folks. Unless they have the resources to hire a good artist you're probably more likely to get something mediocre or worse instead of just "safe" pixel graphics.

Although if it's just a hired artist doing a pixel game because it's the in-style then :argh: argh what the gently caress why

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Rokstar posted:

Okay so bear with me here. There's this hypothetical plane attempting to take off from a large conveyor belt...

I remember that thread from FC in 2001.

jungn
Mar 19, 2012

all gone :/

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

They're all used and only 4 people had the courtesy to say which ones they used. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

They're all used and only 4 people had the courtesy to say which ones they used. :smith:

iosgames.txt

I love how people go back and forth on whether to post grabbed codes or not every time a new batch is posted.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
In Pixel People, is there a point to the more expensive starting residences? They house the same number of people per land unit, and are more expensive then the cheapest house (5000 for 2 people vs 20,000 for 6 people)

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Was it Bummey who was stuck on those two levels in King Oddball? It turns out I hadn't passed the level with 3 tanks and 1 soldier; that was the level I left off on. I beat it after a few tries, using the ricochet strategy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dvlos posted:

I have been saying this for a while now :(

Occasionally someone I know who's working on a mobile game posts about this kind of stuff. The problem is, according to him, if you target iOS/Android/anything you're dealing with probably a dozen common screen resolutions and even multiple aspect ratios - the real problem. So in your target res, 'regular art' will look fine, but if you resize for different ratios and resolutions it starts to look like blown rear end pretty fast. Including native art assets for each res is prohibitive, upscaling/downsampling is difficult to do right, you start to see why people are going to hit on an aesthetic which is a lot more resistant to scaling problems.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

It's only used so often because it's easy to do by independent folks. Unless they have the resources to hire a good artist you're probably more likely to get something mediocre or worse instead of just "safe" pixel graphics.

Although if it's just a hired artist doing a pixel game because it's the in-style then :argh: argh what the gently caress why

Even a professional artist is going to be able to create more assets in less time if they're working at a lower resolution. I hate reading complaints about pixel art, because a lot of games just couldn't exist or would have no hope of being profitable if they didn't use that style.

See A Valley Without Wind for a perfect example of what happens when developers operating on a very limited art budget try to work above their means.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Duranki posted:

Was it Bummey who was stuck on those two levels in King Oddball? It turns out I hadn't passed the level with 3 tanks and 1 soldier; that was the level I left off on. I beat it after a few tries, using the ricochet strategy.

I finally beat them. Now I'm stuck on new levels! :buddy: I hate those shielded units. The rock bounces extra fast off them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

xzzy posted:

iosgames.txt

I love how people go back and forth on whether to post grabbed codes or not every time a new batch is posted.

When they're in link form like that I feel like its not super-important. But it is polite to say thanks :unsmith:

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Toebone posted:

In Pixel People, is there a point to the more expensive starting residences? They house the same number of people per land unit, and are more expensive then the cheapest house (5000 for 2 people vs 20,000 for 6 people)
Having a whole splodge of 1 square houses looks boring as hell. Being able to vary that for a few more coins is worth it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Oh nooooo! :(

I've run into this wired glitch in Pixel People where the game has stopped allowing me to access buildings. They all flash when tapped (and I can restart their timers), but I can't do anything.

Leaving the game be for a few hours won't reset I like most apps, either.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rocketlex posted:

Oh nooooo! :(

I've run into this wired glitch in Pixel People where the game has stopped allowing me to access buildings. They all flash when tapped (and I can restart their timers), but I can't do anything.

Leaving the game be for a few hours won't reset I like most apps, either.

I'm assuming you've tried force closing it via the multitasking menu?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Protocol7 posted:

The bug happened to me once, and this fixed it. Also, I can't ever tap buildings at the top of the screen, presumably because the entire space is reserved for tapping the heart bar. They just flash but don't respond.

This did help me realize that if the heart bar is flashing, you can click on it to jump to the proper residence.

edit: VVVVVV not worth a new reply so I'll future-quote. The same thing happened to me, I had a new job finish while I was doing something else. Probably a race condition gone wrong.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 4, 2013

OperatorAndroid
Oct 22, 2008
Something like this happened to me too. The building would just flash. I didn't realize it but the game was waiting on me to place a new building it gave me after making a match.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Protocol7 posted:

Oh wow. I honestly never knew about his feature. It worked, thanks.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I had that happen a few times before I realized that the game was prompting me to place a new structure. If you've just made a new job type and it unlocks a building, you won't be able to interact with anything until you place the business.

edit: Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr speak of the devil, that just happened to me, and I didn't have a building in queue! It's like we're all sitting in a room and one person yawns, then everyone yawns.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 4, 2013

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Psion posted:

Occasionally someone I know who's working on a mobile game posts about this kind of stuff. The problem is, according to him, if you target iOS/Android/anything you're dealing with probably a dozen common screen resolutions and even multiple aspect ratios - the real problem. So in your target res, 'regular art' will look fine, but if you resize for different ratios and resolutions it starts to look like blown rear end pretty fast. Including native art assets for each res is prohibitive, upscaling/downsampling is difficult to do right, you start to see why people are going to hit on an aesthetic which is a lot more resistant to scaling problems.

This is true. It forced us (PlayScreen) to have two Poker titles on iOS, one for iPad (retina) and one for the iPhone. On Word Carnivale we went with a early 20th century "circus poster" look, so we could go universal.

This is less of an issue with 3D apps, as long as you have decent resolution textures.

I wonder how many apps are using vector based graphics as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was having fun with pixel people until I hit that all too familiar freemium "play is gonna get agonizingly slow unless you spend IRL money" wall that so many of them hit. Are there any similar games that don't do that? Sucks too because I was really liking it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pixel People has some strange ideas about animals. Sheep are super-rare, whales flop around the forests, and all creatures great and small live in harmony among square trees. Must be a space thing.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was having fun with pixel people until I hit that all too familiar freemium "play is gonna get agonizingly slow unless you spend IRL money" wall that so many of them hit. Are there any similar games that don't do that? Sucks too because I was really liking it.

Out of curiosity, what land size are you hitting this around? I'm at 80 and so far residences seem like they could begin to be a limiting factor. Do you find the IAP currency you generate in game to be enough to keep up with the IAP housing?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

When you start going into the tens of millions to expand, it's easy enough to keep up with utopium-bought residences if you've been clicking on your forests and hearts a few times during the day.

Edit: For the record, that's with 5 forests and currently 160 land, about 57 million to expand now. You don't need a hell of a lot as long as you're willing to spend some time every day while waiting for new careers to pop.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Coast Guard just went free. It's a rather old line drawing game, sort of a mic of harbor master and... a game where you blow up other ships. I rather liked it back then. Get it!

http://appshopper.com/games/coast-guard

• Locked thread