Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

I'm currently on the old plan with unlimited data and I've got a discount through my employer. Would I able to transfer my fiancee's account under my name so it would also get the discount, and keep my unlimited data?

She has a dumbphone on a plan with 450minutes and some sort of 25MB data package for email (I've never heard of that data plan and I don't even think she even uses it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Rockker posted:

Would I able to transfer my fiancee's account under my name so it would also get the discount, and keep my unlimited data?

No. Unlimited will should not survive AOL/TOL. You could try adding her as an authorized user and trying to apply her discount that way, but no promises there. Might have better luck applying it online, they can send an email if the company has their email domain registered.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hell has just frozen over: they're updating the Thunderbolt to 4.0.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt_instructions.pdf

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
You can use upgrades on unlimited data lines in certain situations due to a loophole. I used this to get a subsidized Galaxy S3 about 2 weeks ago.

A. You need the line with the unlimited data on the same account as a dumbphone line. You can do an AOL to do this.

B. You have to be able to transfer the discount/upgrade through the VZW website (don't know if your discount is available on the website)

C. Transfer the upgrade from the smartphone unlimited line to the dumbphone line on the website.

D. Upgrade the dumbphone line through the website following the dialog which transfers the upgrade. You can't actually transfer the upgrade unless you use it right at that moment. It will just revert if you close the webpage.

E. When phone comes in, activate it onto the dumbphone line which you purchased it as an upgrade for.

F. You can now de-activate the smartphone and re-activate the dumbphone back onto this line.

G. Activate the new, de-activated smartphone onto your unlimited data line as if you just bought it off Ebay (may need to wait a day or go to a VZW store to get a SIM card)

H. You can also separate an unlimited data line into its own account using AOL and change the voice plan. I was able to do this after getting the Galaxy S3 and putting it into a 200 minute voice plan while keeping the unlimited data.

There's a good thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439872

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/thunderbolt_instructions.pdf

Oh wow. I thought they would forget about the thunderbolt seeing as its almost 2 years old at this point.

Good for thunderbolt owners I guess.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kitten smoothie posted:

:aaa:

I would have bet a non-insignificant amount of money on this not happening.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Due for an upgrade in late march, what do you guys figure the best choices will be by then? Still the max hd?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

EbolaIvory posted:

RAZR maxx HD. Simple.

I went ahead and ordered the Maxx HD but after seeing one in a store I'm a little worried that I'll get annoyed by the drat task bar at the bottom. When you take those icons into account, the screen is basically the same size as my Evo. The DNA's screen on the other hand looks like an actual upgrade.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

visuvius posted:

I went ahead and ordered the Maxx HD but after seeing one in a store I'm a little worried that I'll get annoyed by the drat task bar at the bottom. When you take those icons into account, the screen is basically the same size as my Evo. The DNA's screen on the other hand looks like an actual upgrade.

I think you'll get over it. The evo is a hunk of poo poo anymore and once you really use ur maxx you'll understand

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm still not sure what the point of a 1080p screen is when 720p makes pixels completely indistinguishable on anything 4.3" or smaller. Though I guess the Droid DNA does have a 5" screen so the different does matter, but I hope I don't see anyone try to pull that on anything smaller.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

koolkal posted:

You can use upgrades on unlimited data lines in certain situations due to a loophole. I used this to get a subsidized Galaxy S3 about 2 weeks ago.

A. You need the line with the unlimited data on the same account as a dumbphone line. You can do an AOL to do this.

B. You have to be able to transfer the discount/upgrade through the VZW website (don't know if your discount is available on the website)

C. Transfer the upgrade from the smartphone unlimited line to the dumbphone line on the website.

D. Upgrade the dumbphone line through the website following the dialog which transfers the upgrade. You can't actually transfer the upgrade unless you use it right at that moment. It will just revert if you close the webpage.

E. When phone comes in, activate it onto the dumbphone line which you purchased it as an upgrade for.

F. You can now de-activate the smartphone and re-activate the dumbphone back onto this line.

G. Activate the new, de-activated smartphone onto your unlimited data line as if you just bought it off Ebay (may need to wait a day or go to a VZW store to get a SIM card)

H. You can also separate an unlimited data line into its own account using AOL and change the voice plan. I was able to do this after getting the Galaxy S3 and putting it into a 200 minute voice plan while keeping the unlimited data.

There's a good thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1439872

This isn't a loophole, any more than adding a 3rd-5th line onto the account is; activating a subsidized phone on it, and then swapping that phone to an existing unlimited line. Secondly, this is just an alternate upgrade and thirdly, policy is that unlimited is not supposed to survive an AOL/TOL.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

SeaborneClink posted:

This isn't a loophole, any more than adding a 3rd-5th line onto the account is; activating a subsidized phone on it, and then swapping that phone to an existing unlimited line. Secondly, this is just an alternate upgrade and thirdly, policy is that unlimited is not supposed to survive an AOL/TOL.

It's different because the unlimited data line will have the contract from the dumbphone line applied to it. This means that you can technically still get a subsidized phone on the dumbphone line. If you have both a dumbphone line and unlimited data line both not tied to a contract, my method will give you 2 subsidies, 1 for each line. In your description, adding a line does not use the subsidy available from the unlimited data line, since even after putting the subsidized phone onto it, it still has the upgrade available since you aren't signing a contract on that line.

Also, AOL does not remove the unlimited data, even if that is their policy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I have an unlimited data contract that I think started in April 2011 and is presumably ending sometime in April 2013. It's coming up on the end, and I'm jumping ship to the Nexus 4 and T-Mobile's month-to-month data plans. Ebay suggests that I can sell my unlimited plan to someone else for a not-insignifigant amount of cash. How do I go about doing that?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

kitten smoothie posted:

Well gently caress me. I might have to revert to Stock and take the update.

... or I'll just wait for some smartguy to pull the Radios for 4.0 and make a non-poo poo ROM out of them. Maybe I will wait on upgrading.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Fallom posted:

I'm still not sure what the point of a 1080p screen is when 720p makes pixels completely indistinguishable on anything 4.3" or smaller. Though I guess the Droid DNA does have a 5" screen so the different does matter, but I hope I don't see anyone try to pull that on anything smaller.

Even when you can't see the individual pixels, higher-density screens will always look crisper.

A 316ppi screen will not look quite as smooth as a 400+ppi screen, even though neither of them will have discernable pixels.

My Kindle Paperwhite has a 212ppi screen, which looks really nice, and at my normal reading distance has indiscernable individual pixels. But my S3 at 306 at normal reading distance still looks better. A 5" screen at 1080p will look even better.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kitten smoothie posted:

Still is going to have about 30 minutes battery life.

But want to be further amazed?

Next up: Incredible 2 and HTC Rhyme. I have seen files for both on the intranet.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

Next up: Incredible 2 and HTC Rhyme. I have seen files for both on the intranet.

I'm not as amazed by that as I am that they're still selling the Rhyme. It was outdated crap when it launched, let alone well over a year later. Last week I went to Verizon's site to pay my bill, and there was even a free phone promo for it front and center on the home page. They must have pallets worth of Rhymes and G'Zones somewhere and can't unload them at any price.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

AlexDeGruven posted:

My Kindle Paperwhite has a 212ppi screen, which looks really nice, and at my normal reading distance has indiscernable individual pixels. But my S3 at 306 at normal reading distance still looks better. A 5" screen at 1080p will look even better.

That's apples to oranges, with completely different screen techs. If you literally can't see individual pixels it's not just magically going to look "better" because they're there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mighty Horse posted:

Still is going to have about 30 minutes battery life.

But want to be further amazed?

No, I think the real shocker today is the OG Incredible is getting a small 4mb bug fix.

I mean, why bother now? The drat thing is 2 1/2 years old.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

The Human Cow posted:

The LCD on my RAZR cracked for no reason at all today. The glass is fine, but the LCD is spidering out from the SIM/MicroSD door :( It's in fantastic shape because I always carry it in my pocket with nothing else in there, and I think I've only dropped it twice (not today at all). I took it by the store for poops and grins, but since I don't have insurance they told me there's nothing they can do. I don't have an upgrade until May (and I don't want to lose my unlimited anyway), so it looks like it's back to the OG Droid for a while for me. Using that for a while won't endanger my grandfathered unlimited plan, will it? Is Craigslist still the best place to buy a used phone?

Got my free replacement RAZR in the mail from Motorola yesterday. :getin:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Human Cow posted:

Got my free replacement RAZR in the mail from Motorola yesterday. :getin:

How'd you manage to get a free replacement for the screen cracking?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Probably the same way I did. I sent it in as a paid repair, but once they got it apart they determined it wasn't due to abuse and didn't charge.

The OG Razr is just too thin and flexes too much in the pocket. I've heard of a bunch of them breaking around the SD/SIMM card door (the weakest point of the frame.)

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I talked to a very nice lady through the online chat support part of the website, and she told me that they'd RMA it for me.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

visuvius posted:

My Evo 3D has a dual core processor so I feel like the Razrs processor is a bit of a let down

Not all dual-core processors are the same. Especially since the Evo3D had Qualcomm's previous-generation dual-core and the Razr Maxx has the newer dual-core S4. The Snapdragon S4 processor is leaps and bounds more efficient at battery and processing power all at once.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

ProjektorBoy posted:

Not all dual-core processors are the same. Especially since the Evo3D had Qualcomm's previous-generation dual-core and the Razr Maxx has the newer dual-core S4. The Snapdragon S4 processor is leaps and bounds more efficient at battery and processing power all at once.

I did not know this, thanks for the info.

I'll probably end up sticking with the Maxx HD. After reading a ton of reviews and comparisons, the only thing on the DNA I'm left really envious of is the extra screen size and wireless charging, it sounds really convenient.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

visuvius posted:

I did not know this, thanks for the info.

I'll probably end up sticking with the Maxx HD. After reading a ton of reviews and comparisons, the only thing on the DNA I'm left really envious of is the extra screen size and wireless charging, it sounds really convenient.

The longer battery life of the Maxx HD sounds more convenient than those two things to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

visuvius posted:

wireless charging, it sounds really convenient.

What's better?

Wireless charging coming in handy because you literally have to charge the thing every waking instant it is out of your hand.

or

Not bothering to charge your phone that often at all.

I honestly stopped caring about wireless charging when I got my HD MAXX and could comfortably go 2-3 days between charges.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

bull3964 posted:

Not bothering to charge your phone that often at all.
This is why I've been leaning towards an HD Maxx for my upgrade, assuming I don't just decide to grab an iphone 5 instead. I traded my upgrade with my brother when he lost his phone, so I'm stuck on my CM7 Incredible 1 for a bit longer. It's made more bearable since the extended battery in it means I only need to charge it one day per week. Not needing to remember to charge your phone is the best thing.

The Razr-M he picked up in the replacement surprised me with how nice it is (compared to earlier Blur-heavy Motorola models) so I stopped looking at the S3 after spending some time with it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Apologies for earlier in the thread, I looked into AOL's today and apparently Verizon reneged on the 'Unlimited will not survive a(n) AoL transfer' that they beat into everyone's brains when they rolled out the training slides and the Share Plans.

Sorry other goon dude I was arguing with.

BabyJebus
Jan 19, 2006
I have 2 lines on my account with Verizon:
Line 1: Alltel Friends & Family w/ unlimited data, original Droid. Eligible for upgrade since 2011.
Line 2: iPhone 4s w/ 2GB data. This used to be a separate account but was added to the primary account through a transfer of liability when we got the iPhone (using an upgrade) last April.

I'm going back and forth on whether to cancel line 1 and sign up for new service with a different carrier. If I do this, can I switch the iPhone to the unlimited data plan but keep the existing iPhone phone number, and then cancel the 2GB line without an ETF?

If I keep both lines with Verizon, is there an "easier" way to upgrade the Droid and keep unlimited?
- Transfer upgrade to line 2
- Activate new phone on line 2
- Deactivate new phone/reactivate iPhone on line 2
- Activate new phone on line 1
(These are basically the instructions koolkal posted but line 2 is a smartphone, not a dumbphone - does that matter?)

Line 2 is actively being used, how long would the iPhone be unavailable in this scenario? Is it just a single call to customer service to activate the new phone and then switch back to the old one?

Will this have any impact on the upgrade date for line 2?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just looking for a second opinion, I recently bought a Note 2 off contract and was looking to maybe hop over to Ting or Tmobile. My upgrade comes in a few days and my contract and I'm wondering if the iPhone 5 is worth it to use the upgrade, sell the device and pay the ETF or just pay the ETF now?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Lblitzer posted:

Just looking for a second opinion, I recently bought a Note 2 off contract and was looking to maybe hop over to Ting or Tmobile. My upgrade comes in a few days and my contract and I'm wondering if the iPhone 5 is worth it to use the upgrade, sell the device and pay the ETF or just pay the ETF now?

What's your current ETF? If you upgrade that resets to 325 or whatever it is at max, and you'll get no more than 500 at this time for a base iP5. So you would basically break even vs paying a small amount but at the cost of more hassle.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

What's your current ETF? If you upgrade that resets to 325 or whatever it is at max, and you'll get no more than 500 at this time for a base iP5. So you would basically break even vs paying a small amount but at the cost of more hassle.

Not sure but my contract is up in June. I did buy a Note 2 off contract which I could use towards the ETF and a new phone on a different provider.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
If your contract ends in June your ETF is $150-160 depending on what day of the month it ends.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm not as amazed by that as I am that they're still selling the Rhyme. It was outdated crap when it launched, let alone well over a year later. Last week I went to Verizon's site to pay my bill, and there was even a free phone promo for it front and center on the home page. They must have pallets worth of Rhymes and G'Zones somewhere and can't unload them at any price.

They have a literal SHITLOAD of commandos. I had a Vendor call me up and ask if I wanted any at 1/4 the normal wholesale.

I still said no. We get people who want this type of rugged phone and it really is tough as nails, but the rest of it is just such a pile of crap, I wont touch them.

The sad thing is, there is a new 4G Casio ready to launch but Verizon wont offer it until they are out of Commandos, and nobody wants the drat thing, even at free, so when the new 4G Gz'one launches, its going to be another horribly outdated phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mighty Horse posted:

They have a literal SHITLOAD of commandos. I had a Vendor call me up and ask if I wanted any at 1/4 the normal wholesale.

I still said no. We get people who want this type of rugged phone and it really is tough as nails, but the rest of it is just such a pile of crap, I wont touch them.

The sad thing is, there is a new 4G Casio ready to launch but Verizon wont offer it until they are out of Commandos, and nobody wants the drat thing, even at free, so when the new 4G Gz'one launches, its going to be another horribly outdated phone.

I'm guessing these will just end up getting dumped in the desert near where they buried those millions of ET cartridges for the Atari 30 years ago.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mighty Horse posted:

The target audience for those gzone phones really don't give a poo poo about it's specs though.

My girlfriends dad has one and he thinks it's the greatest poo poo ever. If people like that are happy with their phones...why bother them?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The target audience for those gzone phones really don't give a poo poo about it's specs though.

My girlfriends dad has one and he thinks it's the greatest poo poo ever. If people like that are happy with their phones...why bother them?

Yeah, he is in a tiny, tiny segment of people who want tough phones though. The second you load 2 apps on this thing, its out of memory, and the battery life is comically bad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mighty Horse posted:

Yeah, he is in a tiny, tiny segment of people who want tough phones though. The second you load 2 apps on this thing, its out of memory, and the battery life is comically bad.

Oh of course. That segment must be profitable though if they've got another Gzone in the pipeline.

Can't comment on battery life because obviously I don't use it and I've never really heard him complain about it. It's using 2010 android phone specs though so it wouldn't be surprising if the battery life was bad because all android phone's battery's were pretty loving bad up until the middle of last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

For anyone who still has theirs, the Thunderbolt ICS started rolling out OTA this afternoon.

• Locked thread