Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I love the Crusader but it's a bit of a niche weapon. I've never felt it fits any class in particular. I prefer the Sabre for heavy hitting iron-sight shots and I like to be fairly close up with shotguns. I tend to use it on low level classes when I promote and have a bunch of level 1s to level up because it always hits hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like the Crusader on a Krogan Soldier/Sentinel, the lack of any spread means you don't have to use Smart Choke and can go with HVB/Omni-Blade for melee.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Claymore or nothing on a Krogan.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I only ask because the only times I cleared Plat (4 times yesterday) was a BatSol with Berserker Package IV, Armor Piercing 3, and a Crusader. I didn't notice a firing delay (or if I did, I adjusted to it subconsciously) and I love being able to hit far away targets.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I like the Crusader on a Krogan Soldier/Sentinel, the lack of any spread means you don't have to use Smart Choke and can go with HVB/Omni-Blade for melee.

I like this human, he understands!

Finally got my Best of the Best banner unlocked today after grinding out the solo achievements. Thought I'd be pro and do it on platinum, but after getting stun locked to death once as TGI, and as a kroguard getting speared on wave 10 by a banshee on the third disarm, I thought "gently caress THIS poo poo" and just brainlessly did bronze, silver gold.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

A Talon GI is the best GI :shepface:

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Unlocked the Crusader and I love it. Am I wrong?

I love the Crusader on my GethInf, it's an all-purpose gun that can snipe and has enough stopping power and rounds in a clip to deal with close range threats. Slap some drill rounds on it, and it doesn't matter how fragile I am if I can literally wallhack.

Now that I'm actually running low on that ammo, though, I wanted to ask. Just how thick of an object can the shotgun piercing mod get through? The game gives it to you in physical measurements, which means nothing to me since I don't know how 'thick' a meter is in-game. With drill rounds, I felt like walls were non-existant, but I don't know how much it was really helping.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So apparently the last patch removed the Acolyte's loading delay again?
That's suddenly a ver powerful pistol.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Hopper posted:

So apparently the last patch removed the Acolyte's loading delay again?
That's suddenly a ver powerful pistol.

It's only temporary. They're adding back the charge in the next week or so.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

UnknownMercenary posted:

A Talon GI is the best GI :shepface:

Time: 78:34

Why did you do this to yourself, again?

Burning Mustache posted:

I really, really want to like the Crusader, mostly because I've got a VII by now, but the slight firing delay is driving me absolutely nuts :negative:

Host or just stick with it, you should adapt to the feel in a couple waves. I hosted with it a few days ago and was amazed at how good it was (Batarian Sentinel, also - netting things makes for easy headshots) and then did it off-host and was really mad for waves 1-2 and then fine for 3-10.

it also helped we were playing Collectors. Troopers have enormous heads and you can't miss a Praetorian charging up in your face.

I got a completely accidental pro noscope headshot with the Crusader on a possessed abomination too. We were like "Wait ... where's the explosion?"

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 4, 2013

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cheap Vodka posted:

It's only temporary. They're adding back the charge in the next week or so.

Any idea why they would do that? Or was it unintentional

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Conquistador posted:

Any idea why they would do that? Or was it unintentional

When they merged a lot of the weekly balance changes into the TU, the 'snapshot' they used as a base is older than the Acolyte change. So they have to re-do a few changes like that.

they merged the changes into the TU for the sake of server load, I think, but I'm not sure.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Psion posted:

I got a completely accidental pro noscope headshot with the Crusader on a possessed abomination too. We were like "Wait ... where's the explosion?"

Don't forget the double headshot on 2 captains that lined up right in front of you in the same game :synpa:

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Looking to get back into this after a long while away, PSN is CJSeedge, based in Ireland so would be GMT evenings if anyone wants to shoot space mans together.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Javelin III

You guys got any build ideas for this thing? Its heavy as hell but seems fairly beefy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For whatever reason the way I play always leaves me with an empty gun when using the claymore. I prefer the crusader, or even the raider to it.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alteisen posted:

Javelin III

You guys got any build ideas for this thing? Its heavy as hell but seems fairly beefy.

Gethfiltrator is probably the hardest-hitting setup with the Javelin since you get the Hunter Mode, Geth weapon bonus, Tactical Cloak, and Proxy mine for the debuff for insane levels of damage. 6/6/5/6/3 is the highest damage output/glass cannon setup for it with 5 in Proxy mine specced for the debuff and everything else specced for damage. I don't think you need to bother with any AP mods since the Javelin has natural AP abilities (something correct me if I'm wrong), so it goes Hunter Mode On ->Cloak->Proxy Mine->Quickly snipe.

That setup is the epitome of glass cannon setups though, so you still need to be careful.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Javelin III

The stupid shot delay mechanic makes it difficult to take out smaller enemies, so you should use a class that can stun them before taking the shot (e.g. Salarian Infiltrator) or use a Geth Infiltrator and shoot enemies in cover through walls.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Trykt posted:

Don't forget the double headshot on 2 captains that lined up right in front of you in the same game :synpa:

Yeah, that was pretty quality too. What I'm saying here is, the Crusader is worth learning how to use, because drat.

It's my highest ranked promotional that isn't an Eagle, too, so it hits like crazy. Whatever the max DPS of that gun is, I can do it to a Praetorian or Scion, which is really useful when the game spawns 2+ of each!

Golgozor
Jun 20, 2002

Medicine Snakes

Seedge posted:

Looking to get back into this after a long while away, PSN is CJSeedge, based in Ireland so would be GMT evenings if anyone wants to shoot space mans together.

I'll play with you some Seedge, send a message next time we're both on.

PSN ID(PS4): Steamshovel_Dan WiiU: Steamshovel (not playing it ATM)

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Vietnamwees posted:

I don't think you need to bother with any AP mods since the Javelin has natural AP abilities (something correct me if I'm wrong)

The Javelin, Widow and Black Widow all have natural cover penetration but no natural AP. However, they hit so hard that a difference of 50 points per shot is really not that much of a hit.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You don't put AP mods on sniper rifles to bypass armor reduction, you put them on to shoot through the entire world. Geth Infiltrators are called Geth Wallhackers for a reason.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Does AP stack through mods? i.e. if I put a Piercing mod and HV barrel on, will it get the combined wall penetration distance?

If so, then gently caress.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Yes, yes they do, and drill ammo makes it even more ridiculous.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midee posted:

Does AP stack through mods? i.e. if I put a Piercing mod and HV barrel on, will it get the combined wall penetration distance?

If so, then gently caress.

Yes, I am pretty sure it does.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Be sure to use that setup on the Javelin for optimal laffs, since the Javelin adjusts its see-thru range based on your armor penetration. For Ghost, Dagger, and Jade you can pretty much stand in one place and hit anything anywhere on the map.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Elotana posted:

Be sure to use that setup on the Javelin for optimal laffs, since the Javelin adjusts its see-thru range based on your armor penetration.

That's ... actually more clever than I anticipated out of Bioware. Does it account for AP Ammo as well or just the mods?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nomad Crew checking in :whatup:

*gets collective poo poo pushed in on Glacier*

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Dog posted:

Nomad Crew checking in :whatup:

*gets collective poo poo pushed in on Glacier*

Hey man full extract, I'd call that a victory. :woop:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Asari Infiltrator was a bad choice for Glacier. I wrecked a Reapers Gold round with her last night but that was on a map where I could run away and/or keep my distance.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Probably just needed a Volus on the team. Platinum Glacier seems a lot more frenzied and fun than Rio does, but a map that tightly packed does degenerate into rez tag at the slightest provocation. I don't think Geth Trooper with Flamer is such a good idea because I couldn't see wtf was going on half the time. But, yeah, we did at least make it out fairly uneventfully.

Also I'm seeing A-Field lightning when I blink. I think that means I should go to bed now.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Elotana posted:

Asari Infiltrator was a bad choice for Glacier. I wrecked a Reapers Gold round with her last night but that was on a map where I could run away and/or keep my distance.

Sorry I couldn't rejoin you guys; Origin was being stupid.

I don't see how Asari Infiltrator would be bad on Glacier unless your strategy is to just cast DC and run away.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Dog posted:

Probably just needed a Volus on the team. Platinum Glacier seems a lot more frenzied and fun than Rio does, but a map that tightly packed does degenerate into rez tag at the slightest provocation. I don't think Geth Trooper with Flamer is such a good idea because I couldn't see wtf was going on half the time. But, yeah, we did at least make it out fairly uneventfully.

Also I'm seeing A-Field lightning when I blink. I think that means I should go to bed now.

Sorry about that, its my only power. :sweatdrop:

I'll go volus next time, should be a lot smoother.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lately it seems like whenever I get into a good gold game I lose connection to the EA servers. Is it always this bad?

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Servers seem to be having issues today.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Detonator less Asari huntress works quite well with a bunch of power gear and consumables.

But with a detonator pubby? Holy poo poo, things just evaporate, def need to try this with goons.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I just got an update to Origin so that might be the source of some problems.

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011
Nice idea from the BSN forums on a weekend operation to honour Zaeed in light of his voice actor recently passing away :
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/15803626
Operation: MERCENARY (February 8th-10th)(not official)

Event Description: Our forces are being exausted on all fronts. To relive some pressure on our footholds, we have aquired the help of several mercenary groups, some of which refused to help us before. Reaper forces have pinpointed several of our supply routes, preventing us from getting more equipment and weapons to our new allies. It's up to us to use what we have and push them back.

Individual Goal: Earn 50,000 points with the M-8 Avenger.

Allied Goal: Complete 100,000,000 cumulative total points with the Inferno Grenades and the Concussive Shot power.

Special Circumstance: None

Individual Goal Success: All individual players awarded a Commendation Pack and Massani banner

Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack and the potential max capacity for Thermal Clip Packs will be increased to 6.

Moose12
Dec 8, 2007

shit YEAH

Kaizer88 posted:

Nice idea from the BSN forums on a weekend operation to honour Zaeed in light of his voice actor recently passing away :
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/15803626
Operation: MERCENARY (February 8th-10th)(not official)

Event Description: Our forces are being exausted on all fronts. To relive some pressure on our footholds, we have aquired the help of several mercenary groups, some of which refused to help us before. Reaper forces have pinpointed several of our supply routes, preventing us from getting more equipment and weapons to our new allies. It's up to us to use what we have and push them back.

Individual Goal: Earn 50,000 points with the M-8 Avenger.

Allied Goal: Complete 100,000,000 cumulative total points with the Inferno Grenades and the Concussive Shot power.

Special Circumstance: None

Individual Goal Success: All individual players awarded a Commendation Pack and Massani banner

Allied Goal Success: All players awarded a Victory Pack and the potential max capacity for Thermal Clip Packs will be increased to 6.

If this does end up being official I guess it'll be time to dust of the avenger which I personally hate (though I do enjoy the noise). I will however have no problem spamming the ever loving piss out of inferno grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lots of human soldiers gonna be seen this weekend. Ah who am I kidding nobody on PS3 ever knows there's an event if they don't post here.

• Locked thread