Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sublime Text 3 has a beta release - Snow Leopard support has been dropped, due to a lack of C++ toolchain for 10.6

http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-text-3-beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Goddamn it - I bought ST2 recently. Ah well, march of progress, and at least he has upgrade pricing.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lexicon posted:

Goddamn it - I bought ST2 recently. Ah well, march of progress, and at least he has upgrade pricing.

I bought 2 a few months back, so I doubt I'm eligible for the cheap upgrades. I'm quite happy to send another $30 to the project, because it is by far the best text editor I have ever used. I can't imagine going back.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

EVGA Longoria posted:

I bought 2 a few months back, so I doubt I'm eligible for the cheap upgrades. I'm quite happy to send another $30 to the project, because it is by far the best text editor I have ever used. I can't imagine going back.

Yeah. Despite my grumbling I totally agree with everything you've written.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Hm, I asked earlier if there was an extension or something that allowed Chrome to auto-reload whenever you swipe back a page...now Safari's stopped doing it. Is anyone else experiencing this? Didn't see any update happen over the weekend, other than on iOS, that is. I've rebooted the mbp and reset Safari as well to no avail.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My friend was using her laptop with an apple tv device. She said for a moment her tv changed to someone's fb page, the person noticed and she said she noticed it was connected to her tv before they disconnected. Should she be concerned? She connects it via ethernet she says. I know nothing about apples so I figured this was a place to ask.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My friend was using her laptop with an apple tv device. She said for a moment her tv changed to someone's fb page, the person noticed and she said she noticed it was connected to her tv before they disconnected. Should she be concerned? She connects it via ethernet she says. I know nothing about apples so I figured this was a place to ask.

In order for someone to push something to her Apple TV they would have to be on her network, wired or wireless. If her network has a password, I would suggest changing it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Legdiian posted:

In order for someone to push something to her Apple TV they would have to be on her network, wired or wireless. If her network has a password, I would suggest changing it.

She is on a school network and does not want to share her box with anyone. Can she put a password on the device itself or something similar? Maybe restrict usage via MAC address?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I run AirServer on my MacBook Air while I'm on the campus Wi-Fi and it's really entertaining to see what people send to it. Typically it's just music or something from a phone/tablet (I have to keep the volume low or off), but every once in a while someone's dumb enough to mirror their desktop on my machine.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

She is on a school network and does not want to share her box with anyone. Can she put a password on the device itself or something similar? Maybe restrict usage via MAC address?

AirPlay can be password protected yes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I run AirServer on my MacBook Air while I'm on the campus Wi-Fi and it's really entertaining to see what people send to it. Typically it's just music or something from a phone/tablet (I have to keep the volume low or off), but every once in a while someone's dumb enough to mirror their desktop on my machine.

Holy poo poo I know what I'm doing tomorrow :haw:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
When I've been to some hotels I'm paranoid about their public networks cause it's basically just giant LANs sometimes (which is why I usually bring my old Airport Express to set up my own network). I've seen many available AirPlay targets but I've never taken advantage of that...maybe I should bring my AppleTV and see what pops up next time :raise:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is there any way to enable a way to create a new text file on the right click menu, similar to how Windows does it?

I've been a Mac user for six years and I still miss Right-click > New > Text Document.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What are the "Home" and "End" key equivalents in Mountain Lion?

I use them almost all the time when typing, and all they seem to do in OSX is scroll to the top/bottom of a window, respectively.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Is there any way to enable a way to create a new text file on the right click menu, similar to how Windows does it?

I've been a Mac user for six years and I still miss Right-click > New > Text Document.
Search around for "OS X Finder new text file", I think there's some contextual menu plugins for it, or Automator actions (which can go into the contextual menu as well). If you can't find something that works I can try making one later when I'm back at my Mac.

Mister Macys posted:

What are the "Home" and "End" key equivalents in Mountain Lion?

I use them almost all the time when typing, and all they seem to do in OSX is scroll to the top/bottom of a window, respectively.
Is that to move the insertion point to the beginning/end of lines? I think that's command-left/right, perhaps control, while option jumps word to word. You can also do whatever modifier and up/down to jump paragraphs, and add shift if you want to select while jumping the cursor around.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

japtor posted:

Search around for "OS X Finder new text file", I think there's some contextual menu plugins for it, or Automator actions (which can go into the contextual menu as well). If you can't find something that works I can try making one later when I'm back at my Mac.

Is that to move the insertion point to the beginning/end of lines? I think that's command-left/right, perhaps control, while option jumps word to word. You can also do whatever modifier and up/down to jump paragraphs, and add shift if you want to select while jumping the cursor around.

Yeah, Apple (window symbol, in my case) + left/right cursor is exactly what I want.

Another question:

Does OSX have its own antivirus software? Is there a recommended one if not?
I use MSE on Windows, but I'm guessing it won't work on a Mac...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 31, 2013

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, Apple (window symbol, in my case) + left/right cursor is exactly what I want.

Another question:

Does OSX have its own antivirus software? Is there a recommended one if not?
I use MSE on Windows, but I'm guessing it won't work on a Mac...

A long list of useful poo poo, including:
code:
Command-Right Arrow	Move the text insertion point to the end of the current line
Command-Left Arrow	Move the text insertion point to the beginning of the current line
Command-Down Arrow	Move the text insertion point to the end of the document
Command-Up Arrow 	Move the text insertion point to the beginning of the document
Option-Right Arrow	Move the text insertion point to the end of the next word
Option-Left Arrow	Move the text insertion point to the beginning of the previous word
OS X has some built-in anti-malware detection and even before Apple stuck that in I don't think anyone worried about it. I sure don't.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

If you really insist on having something (and the builtin protection is quite good now, even if its not a full system antivirus scanner as such), I'd suggest ClamXav http://www.clamxav.com. Simple, free, open source no-frills virus scanner. If your computer is anything like mine it will probably find shitloads of Windows viruses in your mail folders, and pretty much nothing else, so at least I know it's working somewhat.

Should this be in the OP?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The main attack vectors that you've had to worry about recently have mostly been Flash and Java. I just use Chrome for Flash, but if you have to have it installed I guess leave auto update on (or check manual updates regularly if your paranoid about Adobe loving up their own updates). For Java Apple recently disabled it remotely after another exploit iirc, until it got updated.

There's also random Trojans occasionally, Apple seems to have been pretty on the ball with those, but in case they don't you should be fine if you practice regular safe browsing habits (i.e. don't trust/install random possibly shady crap)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can someone tell me the steps in properly deleting a Windows partition and combining it back with the OSX partition? I've googled around and most of the guides seem outdated or unclear. I just want to get rid of my Windows 8 test and fill my entire HD with OSX goodness.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can someone tell me the steps in properly deleting a Windows partition and combining it back with the OSX partition? I've googled around and most of the guides seem outdated or unclear. I just want to get rid of my Windows 8 test and fill my entire HD with OSX goodness.
Start the Boot Cap Utility and remove the partition. It's not very complex.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Start the Boot Cap Utility and remove the partition. It's not very complex.

Well that's simple enough. Thanks!

e: doesn't work if there's nothing on the partition. I should have mentioned all of the Windows files were deleted.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 2, 2013

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
What's a good program for finding duplicate files in the internal and external hard drives all at once?

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

ConfusedUs posted:

XtraFinder is free, and offers this functionality. As a new mac user, I find it invaluable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Granite Octopus posted:

If you really insist on having something (and the builtin protection is quite good now, even if its not a full system antivirus scanner as such), I'd suggest ClamXav http://www.clamxav.com. Simple, free, open source no-frills virus scanner. If your computer is anything like mine it will probably find shitloads of Windows viruses in your mail folders, and pretty much nothing else, so at least I know it's working somewhat.

Should this be in the OP?

Maybe, but nobody reads it. It should also have a side note that says "You don't need to worry about this unless you use a fileshare with Windows users that don't have any antivirus and want to scan for viruses for them because you're a nice guy"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What happens if you hibernate a boot camp partition through VMware Fusion and then physically boot to it? Does it just invalidate the sleeping state and treat it as an unclean shutdown?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kilometers Davis posted:

Well that's simple enough. Thanks!

e: doesn't work if there's nothing on the partition. I should have mentioned all of the Windows files were deleted.

All I ever do is use Disk Utility to delete the windows partition, then expand the OS X partition to encompass the new space.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Does anybody use Hazel? I'd love to hear some opinions of it. I like the idea of having my files organize themselves, but I can't imagine it's a good use of my time micro-managing tons of little folder filter rules to make it happen.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Sooo Moom, Divvy, or Cinch?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KarmaticStylee posted:

I got Moom way back so I don't know how the others compare now, but it seemed like the most mouse friendly of the bunch while also having the keyboard shortcut ability of the others. Plus I used some of their other software before which was all pretty good, and Moom was similarly solid and polished when I demoed it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

mongoibur posted:

Could it be Hazel?
http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

I've used it to clean up giant folders, and now it's constantly monitoring different folders to keep stuff organised.

It wasn't hazel, it was a dedicated standalone application. Still haven't found it :(

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

KarmaticStylee posted:

If you're more technically savvy, Slate might fit in here too.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

binarysmurf posted:

XtraFinder is free, and offers this functionality. As a new mac user, I find it invaluable.

Oh my god it also adds support for using Delete to send things to trash.

That and right-click > New > Text Document are my two most missed functions from Windows. This does both, and that is great!

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Does anybody use Hazel? I'd love to hear some opinions of it. I like the idea of having my files organize themselves, but I can't imagine it's a good use of my time micro-managing tons of little folder filter rules to make it happen.

I use Hazel, but not in an involved way. I really only have it monitoring my Downloads folder, with a few rules to sort images, movies, and archives to named folders with color labels so I know what I have and haven't looked at, and a rule to dump torrent files to a folder that my seedbox monitors. It also checks for duplicate filenames and deletes my trash after a couple of days. There may be a rule or two I add for something specific I'm doing, but I've been in the settings of the program perhaps a handful of times since I got it.
With that said, I got Hazel as part of a bundle years ago, and am using the old version. There may be new, magical things it does, but it keeps my folders generally clutter-free, and that's good enough for me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Well, this is certainly something:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/04/odd-mountain-lion-crashing-bug-brings-down-nearly-any-app/

quote:

The initial bug report stated that typing 'File:///' (without the quotes) into almost any app causes the app to crash.

Follow-up testing has shown that the final character needn't be a forward-slash, with almost any character after 'File://' triggering the bug. The issue is also speed-dependent: leaving a brief pause between typing // and the next character will prevent the crash from occurring.

Here's hoping this is fixed soon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Nobody actual does that, how do you think it's gone this long without it popping up?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

So you think it shouldn't be fixed...?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you are fixing something anyway sure, but its not like it should be top priority unless there is a way to exploit it.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Bob Morales posted:

Nobody actual does that, how do you think it's gone this long without it popping up?

May be a Facebook rumor thing so take it with some salt but a friend of mine says that he received an iMessage message with that as the content and it bricked iMessage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

crazysim posted:

May be a Facebook rumor thing so take it with some salt but a friend of mine says that he received an iMessage message with that as the content and it bricked iMessage.

I heard the same thing!