Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

johnny sack posted:

Is this something that would work for Straight Talk? Since they tell me I need a TMobile phone and SIM for them? I'm all confused on this poo poo.

No. Straight Talk does sell T-Mobile service but it's Straight Talk that does the billing and it's a Straight Talk SIM that you will need. If you purchase the SIM card posted by TraderStav you would have to purchase a Monthly4G plan from T-Mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

How do you make T-Mobile APN settings sticky in iOS6? Mine seem to disappear at random and I never realize until trying to send a picture message.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tonic posted:

How do you make T-Mobile APN settings sticky in iOS6? Mine seem to disappear at random and I never realize until trying to send a picture message.

Same issue, all the time. Would love to hear a solution. I think it has a lot to do with the back dooring of the iPhone on the network. I figure it'll resolve soon enough.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I honestly wonder how well T-Mo operates around Omaha. Coverage maps like sensorly leave much to be desired but it's probably due to them not actually offering service here (as in not taking on customers, they seem to have towers) and the signal data looks like it may be rather old.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

I honestly wonder how well T-Mo operates around Omaha. Coverage maps like sensorly leave much to be desired but it's probably due to them not actually offering service here (as in not taking on customers, they seem to have towers) and the signal data looks like it may be rather old.

It doesn't operate at all. They only have a grand total of three towers; no more, no less.

I'm only getting a T-Mobile sim as they work better than AT&T where I'm going in Arizona.

Looks like I can pay about $42 or so to T-Mo and use their $3/day service and just stop paying then instead of paying ST $45 + a SIM card (which would round out to about $50+) for my vacation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

It doesn't operate at all. They only have a grand total of three towers; no more, no less.

I'm only getting a T-Mobile sim as they work better than AT&T where I'm going in Arizona.

Looks like I can pay about $42 or so to T-Mo and use their $3/day service and just stop paying then instead of paying ST $45 + a SIM card (which would round out to about $50+) for my vacation.

Well, poo poo. Was hoping for an alternative to paying ATT by proxy but I'm still fed up with Sprint more than enough to make the switch.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Calling all cheapskates...this website has T-Mobile refills (I have the $30 plan) for $26.99, no tax.

Yeah, it's only $1.50 cheaper than callingmart, but I'm going to try them out.

Edit: You sent a payment of $26.99 USD to 庞 颜华 :stare:

We will see if the code actually arrives.

Holy poo poo, forgot the website:

http://www.refillmobi.com/

Just got confirmation...it's not a code, rather an emailed screenshot of someone's browser showing the reload. gently caress this, never doing this again. I see it's 10:46am in China right now. :tinfoil:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 6, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Calling all cheapskates...this website has T-Mobile refills (I have the $30 plan) for $26.99, no tax.

Yeah, it's only $1.50 cheaper than callingmart, but I'm going to try them out.

Edit: You sent a payment of $26.99 USD to 庞 颜华 :stare:

We will see if the code actually arrives.

Holy poo poo, forgot the website:

http://www.refillmobi.com/

I bit, we'll see. A quick google shows legitimacy. Is this a standing offer or just a sale price?

edit: Just saw your update, they login as you and then apply??

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

edit: Just saw your update, they login as you and then apply??
I guess so...but how did they log in as me?? All I gave them was my phone number. I did get a confirmation text from T-Mobile congratulating me for adding $30 to my plan, so it worked.

Certainly high on the sketch-o-meter, but I guess it is legit...

˅˅˅ I guess so, but they are in China. Last I checked, T-Mobile doesn't operate in..China. I don't know, but whatever. Bracing myself for Chinese spam...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 6, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

hotsauce posted:

I guess so...but how did they log in as me?? All I gave them was my phone number. I did get a confirmation text from T-Mobile congratulating me for adding $30 to my plan, so it worked.

Certainly high on the sketch-o-meter, but I guess it is legit...

I PRESUME that they are an authorized dealer of some sort or another and that is the view that they have? Guess that's the upside of a prepaid account, you only lose what's in there....

edit: Just got confirmation it was applied. Doesn't show when I login from my PC, but from my iPhone app it shows +$30. real dodgy.

edit2: Logging in/out showed the new balance. I bookmarked these guys, we'll see what happens.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 6, 2013

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Maybe a long shot, but does anyone have actual, real-life experience with a prepaid network in the greater Santa Barbara area? I'm seriously debating the T-Mo $30 plan (unlimited text, 5gb "4G", 100 voice minutes) and the $45 AT&T Straight Talk plan (unlimited everything, but restrictions on web).

If I can't get halfway decent reception on one of these, then...I don't even know.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

nocal posted:

Maybe a long shot, but does anyone have actual, real-life experience with a prepaid network in the greater Santa Barbara area? I'm seriously debating the T-Mo $30 plan (unlimited text, 5gb "4G", 100 voice minutes) and the $45 AT&T Straight Talk plan (unlimited everything, but restrictions on web).

If I can't get halfway decent reception on one of these, then...I don't even know.

For T-Mobile buy two SIM cards which was free or up to $3. Activate one of them with a daily plan and try for a few days where you will be out on the town. If you like it activate the other SIM with the $30/month plan. Straight Talk is harder to test but if you can get a friend's AT&T SIM that would give you an idea of how it is.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

gariig posted:

For T-Mobile buy two SIM cards which was free or up to $3. Activate one of them with a daily plan and try for a few days where you will be out on the town. If you like it activate the other SIM with the $30/month plan. Straight Talk is harder to test but if you can get a friend's AT&T SIM that would give you an idea of how it is.

Come to think of it, I think I can find a person who has AT&T service.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like they have t-mo prepaid cards at the 51st/center hyvee. Don't think its a SIM, but clearly a t-mo refill card.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Looks like they have t-mo prepaid cards at the 51st/center hyvee. Don't think its a SIM, but clearly a t-mo refill card.

Hmm... when the SIM cards come, I can go pick some up and try it out. I don't expect it to work, but I'll be REALLY surprised if it does.

Unfortunately, unless I want to swap SIM cards a lot while out and about, I don't know if I'll be doing any comparisons. :v: I suppose I could but the N4's SIM tray ejector is really small and, knowing me, I'll probably lose it if I take it anywhere (currently, it's in the N4's box). Are they supposed to be that small?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Have any other Straight Talk users gotten the text or email about signing up for Auto-Refill for a service discount?

The way it sounds in the email you get $2.50 off per month as long as you are enrolled to auto-refill on the $45/30 day plan.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nickutz posted:

Have any other Straight Talk users gotten the text or email about signing up for Auto-Refill for a service discount?

The way it sounds in the email you get $2.50 off per month as long as you are enrolled to auto-refill on the $45/30 day plan.

I've been getting e-mails and texts.

Thing is, I'm already enrolled as I signed up right after I activated my SIM card so I don't know if I get the discount or not. :v:

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

I already sent customer service an email earlier this morning asking exactly that.

The way it was worded made it seem like it was 2.50 off per month you're enrolled.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
I got those e-mails and texts as well. I was going to sign up for auto-refill anyway, but this just seems like some extra incentive.

It says to sign up before 2/19 if anyone else is interested.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nickutz posted:

I already sent customer service an email earlier this morning asking exactly that.

The way it was worded made it seem like it was 2.50 off per month you're enrolled.

Please keep us (and me :v:) posted!

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Straight Talk Wireless posted:

Dear nickutz,

We understand that you wanted to know if you are still eligible for the
Straight Talk Auto-Refill promotion.

Please be informed that to be eligible for the Straight Talk Auto-Refill
Promotion, you must enroll in Auto-Refill from February 4-19, 2013. You
must add a $45 Unlimited Service Plan in to your phone. If you are
already enrolled, you must cancel your enrollment and then enroll again.

Please be advised that you will see the discount on your first recurring
monthly charge (not upon enrollment).

So what I'm gathering is that we need to cancel our auto-refill and enroll back into it...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nickutz posted:

So what I'm gathering is that we need to cancel our auto-refill and enroll back into it...

Wha...okay then...

I guess I can do that. Not really sure why they just don't grandfather others in but...ok. :confused:

e: It's actually not letting me remove it for some reason on the site.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wha...okay then...

I guess I can do that. Not really sure why they just don't grandfather others in but...ok. :confused:

e: It's actually not letting me remove it for some reason on the site.

I'm not understanding that either. And naturally I couldn't find a way to un-enroll online but after googling it appears you have to call in to have them turn it off. Then you can re-enroll online.

Edit: They actually have a live chat option for support. They removed the auto-refill for me over the chat.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 6, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hence the name 'Straight Talk!' :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Been on hold for seven minutes. :v: I have to work soon.

I'll just go get another string cheese and wait, I guess.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I don't know if anyone is looking around for a no-contract smartphone plan right now, but T-Mobile's $60 talk/text/web (up to 2GB @ 4G speeds) is actually fantastic. T-Mobile gets really good service if you're even remotely near a city, and at $60, 2GB of 4G data is probably enough to last you the entire month unless you're browsing Youtube or watching Netflix 24/7. Not to mention that T-Mobile lets you buy any phone and then just insert their SIM card into it; your options are almost endless.

Plus, for only $10 more, you can get unlimited 4G data if you're willing to splurge the extra money.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

FFStudios posted:

I don't know if anyone is looking around for a no-contract smartphone plan right now, but T-Mobile's $60 talk/text/web (up to 2GB @ 4G speeds) is actually fantastic. T-Mobile gets really good service if you're even remotely near a city, and at $60, 2GB of 4G data is probably enough to last you the entire month unless you're browsing Youtube or watching Netflix 24/7. Not to mention that T-Mobile lets you buy any phone and then just insert their SIM card into it; your options are almost endless.

Plus, for only $10 more, you can get unlimited 4G data if you're willing to splurge the extra money.

Is this an ad? Did you read the thread?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

FFStudios posted:

Well that's just not really true, you just get a job with tmobile?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Rooster Brooster posted:

Is this an ad? Did you read the thread?

It seemed like the point of this thread was prepaid smartphone plan discussion. Am I not discussing a prepaid smartphone plan?

Long Francesco posted:

Well that's just not really true, you just get a job with tmobile?

What a dumb thing to say.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nickutz posted:

Edit: They actually have a live chat option for support. They removed the auto-refill for me over the chat.

Holy poo poo. I'll just do that.

I was on hold for like 10 minutes before I gave up, just called em back and it's been another 10 minutes.

Lesson learned.

Straight Talk has no phone support. At all. :v:

e: How do you get to the live chat?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 7, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

As far as I can tell there is no live chat for ST. Tried to call and they said could not handle my call and was dropped. Is there a way to block my bank from approving the transaction? Pretty lovely service.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

If you log in to your account there is a button for an FAQ in the left side column. There is a button for the live chat in the FAQ.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nickutz posted:

If you log in to your account there is a button for an FAQ in the left side column. There is a button for the live chat in the FAQ.

What.

I ended up calling them. :( Then the woman told me it'd take 30 days, I told her I was not told that by a previous representative so she set it up so I can immediately sign up again.

e: Actually, I called them a third time, they must've noticed I had called multiple times (could never get an answer). So the automatic service said I could schedule THEM to call me. So I had them do that and they called within 10 minutes.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 7, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Holy poo poo. I'll just do that.

I was on hold for like 10 minutes before I gave up, just called em back and it's been another 10 minutes.

Lesson learned.

Straight Talk has no phone support. At all. :v:

e: How do you get to the live chat?

I thought ST phone support was pretty decent, they even offer to call you back if the hold line is too long.

Does this $2.50 off for enrolling in the auto service get you $2.50 off for every month? With taxes and such it may still be a good deal, but that cuts it down to like an actual $1 off as opposed to buying it on walmart.com with a CA address (no tax)

FFStudios posted:

:words: T-mo praise
$60/month isn't exactly cheap... and $70 you're getting into contract territory.

$45/month on ST T-mo is a much better deal in my opinion

SB35 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 7, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

I thought ST phone support was pretty decent, they even offer to call you back if the hold line is too long.

Does this $2.50 off for enrolling in the auto service get you $2.50 off for every month? With taxes and such it may still be a good deal, but that cuts it down to like an actual $1 off as opposed to buying it on walmart.com with a CA address (no tax)

Yeah, they offered to call me back too, that was pretty cool. Everyone was pretty nice too so no horror stories or anything, just had the hiccup with the "30 days" thing but didn't freak out about it and got it turned back on just now.

As for the $2.50, it says when you reenable it that it's every month as long as you're on auto-refill. Apparently, if you turn it off again, you'll lose the discount.

e: Also, it says that it only applies to the auto-refill. It doesn't apply to any Service Plan in your Reserve.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 7, 2013

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SB35 posted:

$60/month isn't exactly cheap... and $70 you're getting into contract territory.

While I mostly agree with this, their 500 minute unlimited plan is rather enticing. It is much higher than most pre-paid options but considering theirs is truly unlimited now it's worth a look if you absolutely need more than 2gb.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FFStudios posted:

It seemed like the point of this thread was prepaid smartphone plan discussion. Am I not discussing a prepaid smartphone plan?
Yeah all except where it read like a shill.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

Does the ST Tmobile have issues with iPhone mms like the AT&T does? About to switch my wife over to the Tmobile $50 plan and if its basically the same to go to the $45 I'm all over that.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TraderStav posted:

Does the ST Tmobile have issues with iPhone mms like the AT&T does? About to switch my wife over to the Tmobile $50 plan and if its basically the same to go to the $45 I'm all over that.

I use Google Voice (thus no MMS) so I have no idea. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

SeaborneClink posted:

Yeah all except where it read like a shill.

Chill out bro, I'm sure (s)he didn't mean it that way. Prepaid is actually a great option and boatloads cheaper than a contract. Some people are allowed to be excited, even if the territory they cover is common knowledge to those who actually follow this thread.

• Locked thread