Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I would add Canoe (https://www.canoeatl.com) to high end. Food, drinks, and service are all absolutely fantastic. Plus, they managed to survive the restaurant getting flooded and soldiered on. I recommend the she-crab soup and the rabbit.

Yeah, I ate at Canoe twice this week. I would say good but not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Radiohead71 posted:

Yeah, I ate at Canoe twice this week. I would say good but not great.

Yeah, and the Gallardo LP 560-4 Spyder gets worse fuel mileage than the hard top. Why are you eating at Canoe several times a week?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 21, 2013

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Work dinners.

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm new(er) to ATL so thank you all for this thread. I read another thread similar to this one and here is what they said:

Pizza? - Antico.
Sushi? - Hayakawa.
Chinese? - Peter Changs Tasty China 2.
High end? - Bacchanalia, Empire State South, Abattoir.
Persian? - Rumi's Kitchen.
Ethiopian? - Desta Cafe.
Steak? - Bones.
Japanese? - Nakato.
Wings? - NOT TACO MAC.

Comments?

Nakato is the place to go for Japanese and also has very good Sushi. The Albert has some very good smoked wings. As far as high end goes, it may be sort of fadish but I've always had a great (5-course) meal at Woodfire Grill.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sureal posted:

Nakato is the place to go for Japanese and also has very good Sushi. The Albert has some very good smoked wings. As far as high end goes, it may be sort of fadish but I've always had a great (5-course) meal at Woodfire Grill.

I was disappointed by the Albert's wings, even before I knew they were supposed to be good. I prefer the wings at The Grove.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I've really enjoyed DBA Barbecue's wings which I believe are smoked and flash fried (they apparently offer Sunday chicken prepared with this method as "Smok-N-Fried"). The Albert's wings disappointed me also. The waitstaff recommended them "fresh from the smoker" but they were anything but bitterly-spiced soggy wings.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Jamal's Buffalo Wings sells my favorite wings. It is a little shack of a place in the parking lot of a Papa John's on the corner of MLK and Northside.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Anything in particular you favor?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Anything in particular you favor?
I prefer the barbecue sauced wings, but I have a buddy who adores their hot buffalo sauced wings. I've been told their lemon pepper sauce is really good, but I haven't tried it.

kontona
May 3, 2003

jamal's is fantastic. their regular hot wings are my favorite but the lemon pepper is also very good.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
We ate at Gio's Chicken the other night. It was just ok. We got the Diablo Chicken and it was roast chicken cooked with those spicy red peppers in olive oil that they put out on the tables at Antico. Tasted good, but was really oily and messy to eat. Also, got the pasta with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and olive oil. It was ok, but nothing special. Everything comes with a salad that has an olive oil dressing too, so I had just finished that and the entrees came out with all oil too was a bit much, but maybe that was just our error in ordering the same items.

Some other notes was the music was way too loud. An old couple complained and the waitress struggled with the iPad mini mounted on the wall, and she never did turn down the volume. It was loud enough that you could not talk to each other in a normal voice. And the sink they wanted me to get table water from was filled with dirt, as if someone had just rinsed a mop in it.

I'd like to try it again, but at 16 bucks an entree, it's a bit expensive for what you get. They also have a little note on the menu that says no sharing, so I guess that means you can't get one entree and share it with two people...

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

AgentHaiTo posted:

We ate at Gio's Chicken the other night. It was just ok. We got the Diablo Chicken and it was roast chicken cooked with those spicy red peppers in olive oil that they put out on the tables at Antico. Tasted good, but was really oily and messy to eat. Also, got the pasta with cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and olive oil. It was ok, but nothing special. Everything comes with a salad that has an olive oil dressing too, so I had just finished that and the entrees came out with all oil too was a bit much, but maybe that was just our error in ordering the same items.

Some other notes was the music was way too loud. An old couple complained and the waitress struggled with the iPad mini mounted on the wall, and she never did turn down the volume. It was loud enough that you could not talk to each other in a normal voice. And the sink they wanted me to get table water from was filled with dirt, as if someone had just rinsed a mop in it.

I'd like to try it again, but at 16 bucks an entree, it's a bit expensive for what you get. They also have a little note on the menu that says no sharing, so I guess that means you can't get one entree and share it with two people...

The Scarpiello is the best value on the menu because it comes with sausage as well as chicken, and it also very tasty - it's basically just the toppings on the Antico San Genaro pizza + chicken. I like Gio's/Anitco quite a bit, but that's mostly because I live across the street so it's super convenient.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Oh is Gio's that chicken restaurant the Antico guy was talking about in last month's Atlanta magazine?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Went to Community Q the other day for lunch, and was surprised to see a 77 for their health inspection. If I remember correctly, they used to have a 100? A bit disconcerting, but the food was still good. Might be going to Fox Bros more often now, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Unfounded Twitter rumor has it that Miso Izakaya may be discontinuing their ramen lunch. Confirm/Deny?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Chef Todd Ginsberg's new place, The General Muir, this past Saturday for lunch. I really enjoyed Ginsberg's work at Bocado during his tenure there and come from a family of New Yorkers, so I was pretty excited to see this new New York Jewish deli place. It opened last Wednesday for lunch/brunch (dinner service starts tonight), so I wasn't expecting much of a crowd, but the place was packed at 1:30pm.

I rather enjoyed what I had (deviled eggs, Reuben, chocolate egg cream), but was somewhat disappointed that the Reuben wasn't the best Reuben I've ever had (that belongs to the Reuben at Star Provisions). Probably a ridiculous expectation, but Ginsberg's burger at Bocado was my favorite (the burger at Bocado is still really good and my favorite in the city, but it hasn't been as consistently excellent since Ginsberg left) so I was expecting a similar experience with the Reuben. I could have gone for slightly less chewy meat and slightly more Russian dressing.

Never the less, I enjoyed my meal and am excited to try the rest of the menu full of things I haven't eaten since I lived in the Northeast. There is a burger on the menu, so I imagine it is crafted with the same excellence as Ginsberg's previous burger at Bocado. They also make their own bagels, which I'm very, very excited to try. I haven't eaten a decent bagel in Atlanta in my 12+ years here (and I've tried pretty much all the places I've read had good bagels), so I'm really hoping their bagels are good.

I really liked the interior of the restaurant. There was lots of light from all the windows, lots of while tile (which I'm a total sucker for in a restaurant), and a windowed kitchen that I could see into while sitting at the bar (I love watching a professional kitchen in action). There is also a counter at one end of the restaurant where you can buy bagels, and various NY Jewish deli style baked goods (black and white cookies, rugelach, cheesecake, etc).

All in all, I really liked the place and hope that it does well. Christiane Lauterbach was there, so maybe she'll be reviewing it soon, though I think reviewing a place four days after opening is way too early.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 5, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Unfounded Twitter rumor has it that Miso Izakaya may be discontinuing their ramen lunch. Confirm/Deny?

Every time my mates go for lunch they're already "out" of ramen. I don't understand how this could happen repeatedly aside from artificially. It must be a big todo or loss leader for them; IDK.

Venutolo, you've really, really got me jonesing for a reuben now and I've been so good about not eating out and/or meat during the week because of YLLS reasons.

That said, Bone Lick BBQ's Austin-Tacious sandwich is really goddamn good.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Venutolo, you've really, really got me jonesing for a reuben now and I've been so good about not eating out and/or meat during the week because of YLLS reasons.

Reubens are pretty much the dopest sandwich ever. Eat.

e: Live well, not long.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 5, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
argh holeman seems to have taken a small but annoying hit quality/sanity wise.

showed up tonight, a lot of new staff. menu was redone, prices got raised about $2 almost across the board. cocktails, cheese, some of the more popular dishes, beers and wines inched up $.50-$1. ordered a salad that was literally a (very) small plate of some boring rear end lettuce with a lovely vinegarette, some orange segments that tasted almost like they'd come from a tin, 3 tomato chunks, and 4 croutons. for $8. there were also a lot of little things with service, but I can chalk that up to new staff rather than the restaurant itself.

I'm just moaning, but :/

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

mindphlux posted:

argh holeman seems to have taken a small but annoying hit quality/sanity wise.

showed up tonight, a lot of new staff. menu was redone, prices got raised about $2 almost across the board. cocktails, cheese, some of the more popular dishes, beers and wines inched up $.50-$1. ordered a salad that was literally a (very) small plate of some boring rear end lettuce with a lovely vinegarette, some orange segments that tasted almost like they'd come from a tin, 3 tomato chunks, and 4 croutons. for $8. there were also a lot of little things with service, but I can chalk that up to new staff rather than the restaurant itself.

I'm just moaning, but :/

My newly-married sister flew in at the beginning of January with her husband, and I planned on taking them there. We drove down (close to an hour's drive from where I live) only to be told by the valet attendant that they were closed for yearly renovations. Now, I checked their website a few times times on the days leading up to that night and there was no mention of a shut-down of the restaurant for any reason. However, the following day, the website had a new announcement that the restaurant would be up and running again on that Thursday. I was slightly pissed to say the least. My previous visit was stellar and I couldn't wait to go back. However, to be greeted by a valet attendant saying "Well, you can always go to Restaurant Eugene for cocktails" was not my idea of an evening out. We ended up going to The Iberian Pig and The Brickstore Pub. Dinner was great, but I was still let down. Your experience makes me want to go back even less.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

RHIN0002 posted:

We ended up going to The Iberian Pig and The Brickstore Pub.

You got the better part of that deal.

venutolo posted:

I went to Chef Todd Ginsberg's new place, The General Muir, this past Saturday for lunch.

I live right around the corner from that place (almost -- less than a mile up Briarcliff), and I haven't seen it when I drive past. Where is it?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

I live right around the corner from that place (almost -- less than a mile up Briarcliff), and I haven't seen it when I drive past. Where is it?

It is in the Emory Point complex. It is at the Southeastern (IIRC) end of the complex, on the side facing the parking deck, next to Bonefish (which faces the road).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Okay, that's why. I'm only looking from the road.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RHIN0002 posted:

We ended up going to The Iberian Pig and The Brickstore Pub. Dinner was great, but I was still let down.
Brick Store is always a good decision.

As for Holeman, I enjoy going on Friday night because the crowd is good, but there just simply isn't enough space at the bar, and that's all I ever go for, to order cocktails from the bar.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I had Miso ramen lunch and talked to the Miso man. The place was at 70% of their curtained-off capacity at 12:10 and down to 3 people including me at the bar by 12:40. Regarding whether or not they'll continue lunch, the man sez: "We go back and forth about it; it's really hit or miss." He doesn't know how long they'll continue as he can never predict on a given day whether they either sell out or it's entirely dead, but more recently it's been dead. If he could keep capacity coming, he'll keep doing it. It was delicious. He likes the days when there isn't enough ramen left for _him_ to eat lunch. Sounds like they make two gigantic batches? I was served mighty quickly.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Miso Izakaya has the worst service in Atlanta according to a recent Eater Atlanta poll.

Also, regarding the ramen Miso Izakaya:

Eater Atlanta posted:

Mihoko Obunai, formerly of Repast and most recently helping Guy Wong with the lunchtime ramen at Miso Izakaya, is IN as executive chef of Joli Kobe. The chef has been revamping and rebranding the French/Japanese bakery and cafe; her first menu will be out on Valentine's Day.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/atlanta/30312/joystick-gamebar-multiplayer-pop-up

Joystick Gamebar is hosting some food trucks from Wednesday to Saturday. Looks incredible.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.supportcharlottesweb.com/

quote:

About The Event
Friends, family and chefs from around the region are coming together in a big way on February 26 at SweetWater Brewery. From 6 to 10 p.m. Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q will host 15 of the Atlanta’s top chefs to rally in support of fellow chef and friend, Charlotte Nelson. Charlotte was diagnosed with stage four inflammatory breast cancer in November of 2012. The event, Charlotte’s Web…Cancer Touches Us All, will include samples from all 15 chefs, passed hors d’oeuvres, live music from Moontower, and a silent auction. All proceeds from the event will go directly to Charlotte and her family to assist in medical expenses.
Tasting tables will be set up at SweetWater Brewery where donors will experience offerings from chefs of the region. US Foods is donating all chef proteins and Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, and Big Tex Decatur will provide passed hors d’oeuvres. Cathead Vodka is among the distributors providing alcohol and signature cocktails are being crafted by some of Atlanta’s top bartenders including Irv Howard, Tiffanie Barriere and Jerry Slater.
Atlanta-based band Moontower will play at the event. The band’s motto and philosophy embodies what the evening will be about — “good friends getting together.” For more information about Moontower, visit https://www.moontowermusic.com. The silent auction will feature items from donors and friends of Charlotte’s all over the city.

About Charlotte
Born in Fresno, CA, June 21, 1975, Charlotte always loved to be in the kitchen. She turned that passion for cooking into a career when she attended and graduated from Western Culinary Institute in Portland, OR.
After graduation she moved across the country to Atlanta, GA, where her career would soon take off. She has worked with many of Atlanta’s great chefs and restaurants including Gary Mennie at Canoe, with whom she later opened Livingston with; Atmosphere, and Taurus. In 2009 she settled down into the kitchen at Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q and in late 2011 became their head chef.
“Charlotte’s love for what she does shows in her food; there was no question that she is who we wanted leading our kitchen,” says Jonathan Fox, co-owner of Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q.

Chefs & Mixologists
The Atlanta restaurant scene is a tight knit family. We have assembled some of the finest chefs/mixoligists in the city for what will be a great night!
Ryan Smith (Empire State South)
@RyanSmithChef
Dave Roberts (Community Q BBQ)
@communityqbbq
David Gross (Cook Hall)
@CookHallATL
Eddie Hernandez (Taqueria del Sol)
@TaqueriadelSol
Irv Howard (Kevin Rathbun Steak)
@KRSteakBar
Ford Fry (JCT Kitchen, No. 246, The Optimist)
@cheffordfry
Guy Wong (Miso Izakaya)
@GuyWongATL
Jerry Slater (H. Harper Station)
@jerrywslater
Kevin Ouzts (Spotted Trotter)
@spottedtrotter
Kevin Rathbun (Rathbuns)
@Rathbuns
Muss & Turner’s/Local Three
@mussandturners / @localthree
Nhan Le (Octopus Bar/SoBa)
#OctopusBar
Ria Pell (Ria’s Bluebird)
@RiasBluebird
Ron Eyester (Rosebud/The Family Dog)
@theangrychef
Terry Koval (Wrecking Bar)
@WreckingBar / @TerryKoval
Tiffanie Barriere (One Flew South)
@OneFlewSouthATL
Todd Richards (The Shed at Glenwood)
@ChefTRichards
Zeb Stevenson (Livingston/Proof & Provision)
@the_chef_z

I've met and talked to Charlotte a few times and am really saddened to hear about her cancer. I bought a ticket and hope some of you will as well.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've been really sort of wanting to try some new restaurants recently - particularly "ethnic" ones. I feel like I'm stuck on the same korean/japanese/indian/mexican ones every time I feel struck for whatever sort of food. And I'd be really thrilled if I could find a few ethnic cuisines I haven't tried before. anyone got any shining stars to share?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
How about non-pho/banh mi Vietnamese at Quan Ba 9? Colombian at La Casona? Argentinian/Uruguayan at Sabores del Plata? Peruvian at Machu Picchu? Salvadoran at Rincon Latino? Indonesian at Tempo Doeloe? Filipino at FilAm Star? Italian at Olive Garden?

venutolo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 8, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ethiopian? Desta Ethiopian Kitchen.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Safety Dance posted:

I tried Ghion Cultural Hall last Friday and thought the food was really good. Not my review:
http://southern-foodie.blogspot.com/2011/08/ghion-cultural-hall-ethiopian.html

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

venutolo posted:

Miso Izakaya has the worst service in Atlanta according to a recent Eater Atlanta poll.

Also, regarding the ramen Miso Izakaya:

We went to Miso Tuesday night, and there were 5 tables. One hour and 10 minutes later, we got what we ordered. There was one server, and 2 sushi chefs, and the bartenders were running the food. I will never ever go back to that place, I don't care how good their food is.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Safety Dance posted:

Always the right answer. That place is so good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

How about non-pho/banh mi Vietnamese at Quan Ba 9? Colombian at La Casona? Argentinian/Uruguayan at Sabores del Plata? Peruvian at Machu Picchu? Salvadoran at Rincon Latino? Indonesian at Tempo Doeloe? Filipino at FilAm Star? Italian at Olive Garden?

thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. haven't tried any of these places

ANY OF THEM

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

venutolo posted:

Man, sometimes I wish I lived closer to Buford Highway. It's a pain in the rear end to get to that side of town, especially when they close most of 285 for construction (i.e. every weekend). :(

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Hey guys, I just moved to Atlanta from Asheville, NC a few months ago, where we have a pretty nice culinary scene. I'm helping some friends open a restaurant in downtown Decatur called Chai Pani. It's going to be next to Farm Burger, where the old Watershed restaurant was (West Ponce). Renovations are about done inside.

What is it? High-end 'street food' from India. This isn't your northern style party ghee-heavy dinner curries with rice, naan, etc that everyone thinks of when they hear "Indian". This is another whole beast Atlanta hasn't seen yet. Yes, there are some real crappy chaat houses around, but this is all made-in-house everything from scratch. The current chaat joints use all pre-made foods from NYC. The chefs are all trained in India, use local farm fresh ingredients, etc. As in, they'll buy a whole goat and made burgers out of it; bushels of Okra to make crispy fries, etc.

--- I'll also be checking this thread for other restaurants. So far been to Leon's, Cake and Ales, Eugenes, Desta (my fave!), Chef Lu - all really good.

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 27, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Charlotte Nelson, head chef at Fox Bros, died this past weekend. :smithcloud:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

Charlotte Nelson, head chef at Fox Bros, died this past weekend. :smithcloud:

poo poo. Do you know how? I did not put two and two together... http://www.atlantabuzz.com/food-drink/charlottes-web-cancer-touches-us-all/

Landrobot posted:

Hey guys, I just moved to Atlanta from Asheville, NC a few months ago, where we have a pretty nice culinary scene. I'm helping some friends open a restaurant in downtown Decatur called Chai Pani. It's going to be next to Farm Burger, where the old Watershed restaurant was (West Ponce). Renovations are about done inside.

What is it? High-end 'street food' from India. This isn't your northern style party ghee-heavy dinner curries with rice, naan, etc that everyone thinks of when they hear "Indian". This is another whole beast Atlanta hasn't seen yet. Yes, there are some real crappy chaat houses around, but this is all made-in-house everything from scratch. The current chaat joints use all pre-made foods from NYC. The chefs are all trained in India, use local farm fresh ingredients, etc. As in, they'll buy a whole goat and made burgers out of it; bushels of Okra to make crispy fries, etc.

I may or may not be working here, as I work somewhere else already. But I may be cooking or doing some bartending while they get established. I will be there grand-opening, maybe working, so I'll buy any goons a drink if you show up. Opening will be maybe this month, but I'm not sure - I'll keep you guys posted.

--- I'll also be checking this thread for other restaurants. So far been to Leon's, Cake and Ales, Eugenes, Desta (my fave!), Chef Lu - all really good.

Awesome. I live very close to there (in Atlanta Relative Distances). Let us know!

dennyk posted:

Man, sometimes I wish I lived closer to Buford Highway. It's a pain in the rear end to get to that side of town, especially when they close most of 285 for construction (i.e. every weekend). :(

Speaking of Buford Highway, I went to Taco Veloz on Friday with some coworkers. Groin-grabbingly transcendent (nah, but for real, the good:cost ratio is really high).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Here are a few reviews I found interesting:

The Spence on Chow Down Atlanta - Very positive review after both the reviewer and I have heard less than great reviews of the place.

Cliff Bostock's review of Gio's Chicken Amalfitano - Says it is the best chicken in the city.

The General Muir on Eat It, Atlanta - I had similar thoughts after my two vists: very good, pastrami could be improved, but really enjoyed.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 15, 2013