Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

AradoBalanga posted:

He's a Banpresto Original like Crowe. Although, like Traiya, despite Elgan having a large role in the Z2 games, he does not have a voice actor.

Having a voice actor means that you get out and actually fight. There are plenty of important characters, both series and original, who don't fight but are important to the plot. Relena, Marina, Chirico's friends, and most of the Ashford academy schoolkids all don't have voice actors but they're undeniably part of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

The S. M. S. team can't believe they made it all the way back to their home planet (sorta), only to be branded as terrorists. They even signed up to cooperate with the World Peacekeeping Council! Chairman Roddick was supposed to give them cover against the great nations, since he's the one that put them together with the Black Knights and Celestial Being in the first place, but... it's just the U. N. They only get so much respect from the world superpowers.

Still, Alto is frustrated. Humanity as a whole should have better things to worry about than coming up with reasons to fight each other. Michel reminds him that even their world's humanity isn't exactly a race of saints, even after having made peace with multiple alien races. Even on a ship aiming to expand the human race, there are still those who seek to spread terror and seize power. That's just how people are. In fact, he suggests, the only time humanity has ever stopped infighting for even a moment was when they were on the brink of extinction. But even so, he and Klan believe that somehow, deep down, everyone can be friends.

Takeru agrees and makes a very sweet speech about how his family and friends give him hope to see the good in humanity. Sure, they used to doubt him, but that's all over now. If everyone could be as forgiving as Takeru, where would there be war? But if it were so easy to convince all those politicians, where would we be?

Well, right now, we've got U. N. joint force soldiers on our tail. According to Captain Kenji, we have two choices: wait for Elgan Roddick to bail us out, or divide into two teams again and wait until it blows over. Splitting up would get the public team out of danger, but on the flip side, the shadow force would be facing down the pursuit with half their firepower. They may be terrorists, says Akagi, but at least they're on our side. He struggles to explain how they're different, but the point is we're not abandoning them. Everyone agrees, but that means all we can do is wait and count on the Chairman.

Or does it? Alto has a third choice: take care of the problem ourselves. It's a lot like Zero's idea to play himself as a force for good. For starters, if we take down the WLF, the joint forces won't raise a hand against us, right? Well, it's easy enough to say, but the Chairman himself doesn't know where their headquarters are, so we have no way of going on the attack.

But suddenly, a voice calls out for Mars, and only Takeru can hear it. It explains that it's speaking telepathically directly into his mind, and it's the same voice Takeru heard telling him about Godmars back when he first piloted the robot. And the voice wants him to come and meet it. It says it will handle those who are after Mars...

and right on cue, the Pixie Squad reports that the enemy army has peeled off to chase down a Gishin platoon. It's enough to buy some time but not enough to overpower the joint forces, which is great for everyone - but as the voice continues to beckon, Takeru alone is suspicious.

Chapter 21: The Truth Revealed

Takeru arrives at the coordinates the mysterious voice told him.

He's attacked by a Gishin battle mech, and he recognizes the pilot's voice! He immediately smells a trap and destroys the robot with Gaia, but the pilot just says that they can talk safely now and ejects.

Takeru hunts down the pilot, who comes out and says he's Mars' twin brother Marg. The whole thing was a setup to throw off Emperor Zuul, you see. Marg tells the story of how he stayed with Zuul because he didn't have any other way to even try to save his brother. Zuul ordered him to kill Mars, but instead, Marg put on a show of being killed by Mars.

Takeru believes Marg completely for reasons he doesn't fully understand - he knows in his heart that he's talking to his one and only family in the whole universe.

So Marg begins showing Takeru memories telepathically. First, of how Zuul came to know that Idea and Aida had born twin boys, and demanded to take one for himself. He intends to send it to Earth, the eye of the great dimensional storm, to help him take the planet and use it to conquer the galaxy. Why not? As a father, Idea should be glad that the boy is to inherit Zuul's vast empire.

Idea objects - his research on antiproton power was to be used for the good of all, not for Gishin's power alone. He wants his child to represent peace, and he knows that Zuul is building an antiproton bomb. Zuul sends him away and warns him what happens to those that disobey the Emperor's will.

You know the end to this story - Mars was seized from his parents by force, put on the bomb, and packed off to Earth. But Idea managed to secretly build the five godbots and send them after his son to protect him. When Zuul found out, he had Idea tortured, and when he wouldn't talk, executed; Aida, their mother, followed ten years later for begging Zuul to return Mars.

But not before entrusting to Marg a crystal necklace. It was created by Idea as a control mechanism for the godbots, allowing the pilot of Gaia full control of their power. His wife kept it safe, and her son delivered it, and now it's with Takeru where it belongs. A happy ending! Marg urges Takeru to fulfil their father's life's wish and use Godmars to fight for peace across the whole universe. Takeru begs Marg to join him and fight with him, but Marg has taken on another job. He wants to find out what Zuul is so interesting in Earth for, and if that can help them defeat him.

Unfortunately, Wahl now knows what's Marg's been up to, and he will have none of that. He fires on the boys, and Marg pushes Takeru out of the way and grunts that he'll protect his brother with his life. Wahl captures him in some kind of psychic cage doohickey and says he'll take him back to Zuul to execute personally. Marg tells Takeru to forget about him and call Gaia.

Takeru does so, and Wahl flies away with Marg and an angry Gaia on his tail.

And that's how the stage starts - Takeru versus a swarm of Gishin robots.

Takeru's newfound control of the five gods takes the form of a much welcomed new attack. It's expensive, but it hits hard, and most importantly, Gaia has had issues with its combination of low range and low movement.

Speaking of movement, I gave him a Vernier for the mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUbLaNa2anQ
And this is what it looks like. Godmars: Moving is for other robots.

Seriously these jets are completely worthless.

And that's when GOONZ shows up.

Takeru explains the whole thing about his brother, and the rest of the pilots get all fired up to sink the Gishin warship and save Marg!

But still no SR Point. The one this chapter is actually an interesting one. (I've never gotten it without abusing Gurren-Lagann, but this time around I have more upgrades, so we'll see.)

It's still the enemy turn, and some of the Gishin fighters attack the main body of GOONZ.

Takeru continues to wipe out all the ones that cross his path. This is why his Ace Bonus is so ridiculously easy to get.

The soldiers advance (mostly at Takeru) but Wahl's ship stands by.

Gurren-Lagann begins the charge and brings me to the reason Kamina is such a ridiculous crutch in the early game: Valor.

Valor, or Hot Blood for purists, is probably the single iconic mechanic in Super Robot Wars. Almost every fighting pilot will get it or a related Spirit command at some point in their lives. Hot blood represents the strong emotions like love, anger, and passion that give a super robot hero power and drive him to stand up, yell at the top of his lungs, and push every drop of strength he can muster into beating the bad guys. It's the distilled essence of heroics for Japanese boys.

So Valor has a simple game effect. It's very expensive (generally on the order of 40 Spirit Points) and doubles the damage of the next attack the robot initiates. Around level 30-40, every single boss will be balanced around the idea that we will surround them with mecha, get every single pilot screaming mad, and hit them with a barrage of the strongest attacks available.

And gently caress yes we will. :black101:

Kamina gets the Spirit freakishly early because he's just bigger, louder, angrier, and stupider than everyone else, and apparently that's what little boys want to see. (It's awesome when Spirits are used to express a character - remember how Kamina also has that super cheap Trust?) The even better news is that, like his Sense Spirit, the effect passes up to Simon if he's driving.

As for what that has to do with the SR Point, you'll see. It's one of the most annoying types of SR Points in Super Robot Wars.

Also, I really wish this game had the Chain Attack mechanic from OG that lets pilots with special weapons hit every enemy in a row.

Anyway, I'm pushing northward pretty aggressively, also for SR Point related reasons.

The bad guys start thinning themselves out...

But Gaia's out of power.

Meanwhile, Wahl continues to refuse to do anything.

Zero's command radius: still enormous.

I guess someone should go bait the boss while I lay my trap up north.

This is going to take a few swings, I guess.

This is boring. Ryoma, wanna switch?
Piss off! Take out your own trash!

Other than that, though, everything's going great.

I could recharge Gaia, but we're going to need Godmars soon anyway.

And we'll take a couple more swipes at Wahl, I suppose.

Status of all the non-Wahl enemies.

Wahl, naturally, goes right for Takeru.

Mars, you are a fool to resist Emperor Zuul! I will execute you myself!
Why are you so loyal to Zuul? He values his ambition over the lives of his own men!
I have no sympathy for you if you follow him knowing his ways!

How few fucks does Godmars give? He doesn't even move while defending. Most robots make a little blocking pose or something, but not Godmars!

Anyway, he dies with little more fuss and drops a Thruster Module a.k.a. don't-suck-in-space-maker.

Emperor loving Zuul himself comes to deal with the problem. Takeru does the Luke Skywalker "you killed my father!" routine. Zuul insists, quite appropriately, that he is Mars' father, but that doesn't work this time. He tries the angle that the Earth is a threat to the entire wide universe, but stupidly refuses to elaborate. He just says Mars is coming back to Gishin with him or else.

Mars refuses once again, so Zuul decides to destroy the planet right here and now and take Mars with it. But the rest of GOONZ decides to take the golden opportunity to defeat the leader of the Gishin once and for all, and protect the Earth forever!

(It's only chapter 21.)

Anyway, Zuul sends Wahl away (taking Marg with him) and deigns to fight with us. "Accept your powerlessness!"

SR Point: Defeat Emperor Zuul. However, Zuul retreats if below 10,000 HP, or after two turns from his arrival.

Awesome.

In short, this is a twofold battle. First, can I deal 40,000 damage within two turns, and second, can I subsequently muster 10,000 damage in a single action. Let's tackle this one step at a time.

Attack!

Command!

This is gonna be fun, big guy! You've got guts to come down here and face us!
B-bro... he's in another league from everything we've fought before...
Great, then he'll be a challenge! Being a man is about taking on the hard stuff!
Ignorant fool. But such fools can cause surprisng results at times.
I see... this world and these people hold the power he fears.
Quit mumbling! We're right here and we're coming for you!
You may be at ease, Spiral King. I will erase one of your worries.

:kamina:: Whaddaya mean, psychic powers! Fight me like a man, with your own fists or a drill!

Just a taste of what Valor can do for you.

Godmars series attacks are so lazy. But that move drains Will. Simon has plenty to spare.

So this is Mazinger Z... It does look somewhat like him.
He... recognizes Mazinger? What does he mean? What does it look like?
I am Zuul, ruler of all the universe.
You do not pose a threat to me, not even with a fragment of an imitation of the power of the gods!

Reducing Zuul to 10,000 HP has never been the problem - GOONZ already has too many powerhouses for that. It's the last leg that causes trouble.

Only Getter-2 of the Getters can make it adjacent, and we're trying to surround Zuul, so we're opening with him.

Getter Rays. Giving them to the denizens of this world is as pouring oil onto a flame.
What?
What's he talkin' about?
Forget it! If he's praying, he can pray in hell!
A world where the Getter Rays rain... truly a danger to the cosmos.

These children... possess that which humanity lost long ago.
Sorry, but those mind games aren't going to work on me. I wasn't born yesterday.
But you are still bound by your foolish rationality. It will be some time before you can awaken...

A robot that diffuses consciousness through its core!
I will destroy every machine that creates those particles before they discover its true power!

This is going quickly.

What the...
It twists around him. Could this be what it's searching for?
Interesting. As the ruler of all the universe, I will overcome your power!

Whew.

Chirico: Dodgin' lightning storms.

Well, that's all I'm doing this turn.

Zuul attacks Takeru, who will defend.

Mars... however hard you resist, you are merely dancing on the palm of my hand!
Shut up, Zuul! You won't get away with this!
This is for everyone you've sacrificed!

Anyway, let's get this over with. Zero gives the order to Charge!

(What's going on? My eye is burning...)
A bearer of the King's power. You've been chosen, I see.
What do you mean? What do you know about my power?
Ha ha ha. If you're so curious, I will tell you. Your power will inevitably lead to your destruction.
Don't make me laugh, self-named ruler of the galaxy! I'll reach my goal before that happens!
I have reasons I can't afford to lose!

(By the way, not pictured: Renton's conversation with Zuul.)

Then Johnny Analyzes Zuul for another 10% damage.

Finally, we get to see if Takeru and Crowe can take out the rest of Zuul's HP together.

Good so far.

Yes, Godmars, you look in so much pain. (Takeru is immune to Will drain, which is very nice.)

Crowe makes it for the finish! It's a good thing Zuul doesn't have Prevail or anything. But Zuul just murmurs "Excellent..." when he loses his last HP.

The spoils of victory.

Zuul laughs madly and reveals that we may think we've vanquished him, but this is just a fraction of his full power.

He busts out his MAP attack (that he never bothered to use for real) and zips out, cackling that we've still only experienced a little bit of what he can do. GOONZ is in awe of his might. I guess.

Right then, some Rhinodamons spawn out of a shock.

GOONZ can't handle all of them at once, but they go for Zuul instead. Cool!

But Zuul just chuckles. "So these are them. I see that sending my copy to Earth was worth the trouble." As GOONZ reels at the revelation that this wasn't even the real Zuul, the Emperor cackles that he'll let Mars off easy this time - but he's taking Marg.

Now the GOONZ just have to deal with the Rhinodamons, which doesn't make them feel much better, but Ime Liard (ugh) steps in and says he'll handle it.

The Rhinodamons docilely fall into step behind him. "Who the hell is he?" wonder GOONZ, but Ime claims that that's why he came.

Interesting. He wants to talk. He says these DAMon issues so far have been to test us. Yes, Arietes can cause dimensional distortions, but while he'll admit to causing some of the attacks, he can't take credit for all of them. He also claims Arietes is equipped with a dimensional agitator system developed by Nein Industries, a shadowy R&D corporation few people know about. He's after Crowe because the Brasta is also equipped with a piece of Nein tech, and they want it destroyed "to keep it out of the wrong hands."

Crowe guesses he mean the VX, the Brasta's mysterious power core that even the thing's engineer doesn't know anything about. That engine is what got Veda's eye on the Brasta too. Ime says VX stands for level 5 secret, and it was stolen by Axion. But the VX can't cause dimensional quakes, oh no. It's the incomplete version, and Arietes has the real one, or something like that. Nein's area of research is both the dimensional swirls and the monsters that come from them, doing experiments on them, placing them under control, and then sending them back to the dimensional fold to await use. That's how Arietes summoned those Rhinodamons and took control of them. But why do all this research? To weaponize the DAMons, of course. We've seen how dangerous they are, but imagine if they could be pointed.

But this doesn't make sense to Crowe. It's sort of understandable that he's attacked the Brasta, but what about the rest of GOONZ? That's where it comes back to Ime testing us with his Damons. And if it works out, he wants us to help him save the world. Nein has their own ideas of world peace, and they don't necessarily line up with those of our boss Elgan Roddick. Nein thinks he's dangerous, so their representative (Ime) came to us instead. And now that we've proven ourselves...

Crowe doesn't buy a word.

Ime shrugs and says that if that's how it's going to be, there's no point talking right now. But he'll be back to ask again until Crowe believes him. And as a show of good faith, he's willing to give us the name of the WLF's commander and the location of their base. Even Roddick couldn't find that out, and Ime reminds GOONZ that this is a taste of Nein's intel. And what intel it is - the base is the Republic of Limonesia, and its head is none other than Carlos Axion Jr. Nein doesn't have the force to act on this itself, not yet - but GOONZ just might. That's fair, right? What we do with this information is up to us - just remember, we and Ime are ultimately after the same goal. And if we side with him, he won't have to destroy the Brasta anymore, either.

Ime leaves, and only Crowe has a bad taste in his mouth. Everyone else is tentatively convinced, and we're on our way to Limonesia.

Or are they? In hindsight, all three commanders can see the trap plain as day, but Tieria has run voice analysis on Ime Liard and there isn't a hint of deception. Crowe is sitting in on the strategy meeting because he's the only one in GOONZ to have met Ime face to face, and he knows drat well that there's no way to tell if Ime's a liar - but that it's almost certain he is lying. "That guy lies like he breathes," he says, and no amount of voice analysis nor the most sensitive polygraph will register a blip. Not even Veda's computing power, to Tieria's indignation. Zero, like Crowe, has no proof but is absolutely certain Ime is not to be trusted. Jeffrey, as a captain, doesn't make a habit of trusting strangers bearing gifts.

At the same time, they agree that they have to follow up on his tip. Not because they believe it, but because it may be a clue as to what he's playing at. And if he happened to be telling the truth, we'll just squash the WLF and come out heroes. We can't lose. Or if we can lose, we were hosed anyway. The point is, we don't really have anything to lose by advancing.

So to summarize, no one believes a thing Ime Liard says, but we're still on our way to Limonesia.

As a last bit of housekeeping, what happened to the psychic? Takeru is holed up in his room because he "wants to be alone." Crowe decides not to waste time visiting him. Takeru will come around, and besides, Crowe's got enough to worry about just watching his own back. Zero comments, "Everyone in GOONZ could say that."

At an unknown location in Limonesia itself, Ime is letting Shioni know he's baited GOONZ to Limonesia. Now all she needs to do is keep the U. N. joint forces out. As long as they're drawing GOONZ to the country, he would like them to neutralize the increasingly troublesome WLF for him. She complains that they'll destroy Limonesia in the process, but he assures her (quite correctly) that we're trying to look good and will take the utmost care not to harm any civilians. It's about to be all over, and Limonesia will be saved. Just trust him, he says. The whole world will change tomorrow, and all her troubles will vanish. The gate to the dimensions will open, and a vast power will come out... all under her control.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
I'm starting to not like where things are going. Somebody/Something is about to get hosed up massively isn't it?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^^^^:unsmigghh:

I kind of like how much Zuul knows here. It's pretty rare for a non-original villain to have any serious interaction with someone who isn't from their own series or a sister series, so having him casually mutter about each party member's secrets is rather nice. I especially like how Zero's Geass responds to him - I'm interested to see where that goes.

Also, I am...quite fond of the next two missions.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
He runs at 10k HP? Does Zuul have Prevail? Why couldn't you use Rust Hurricane to trivialize the killing blow?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Zuul is seriously a testament to how a good villain can affect a show. There's a stretch in God Mars with a different villain, and the quality of it just drops like a rock.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Has going, "WE SHALL WEAPONIZE (evil race x)" ever worked out? Like, ever? It's pretty universally just schmuck bait for an Aesop about "oh, the hubris of man."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Einander posted:

Has going, "WE SHALL WEAPONIZE (evil race x)" ever worked out? Like, ever? It's pretty universally just schmuck bait for an Aesop about "oh, the hubris of man."

You don't actually BELIEVE Ime about that do you? You really shouldn't believe a drat thing Ime says, like ever. Which is problematic because sometimes he says things that are actually true.

And I love Zuul in this game, it's both interesting and intimidating that he more or less knows everything that's going on already. He's really my vote for most interesting series villain.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And this is where Banpresto's treatment of Godmars reaches annoying for me. The entire "no fluid animation for Godmars' attacks because the show had no animation budget" gag comes off as one-note and stupid. Yes, I understand that the atmosphere in the Z universe is to animate attacks in a similar fashion to their source series, but for Godmars, it comes off as cramming the same joke into our face over and over again to the point where it shifts from funny to downright obnoxious.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

And this is where Banpresto's treatment of Godmars reaches annoying for me. The entire "no fluid animation for Godmars' attacks because the show had no animation budget" gag comes off as one-note and stupid. Yes, I understand that the atmosphere in the Z universe is to animate attacks in a similar fashion to their source series, but for Godmars, it comes off as cramming the same joke into our face over and over again to the point where it shifts from funny to downright obnoxious.

Really? I didn't think it was a big deal at all - the attacks are always fluid enough to follow what's happening, and I actually think the stiffness kind of works to GodMars' favor, considering its whole gimmick as an actual tactical unit is that it's tough as hell. It looks kind of badass when it just shrugs off some enemy missile or something.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That one fat robot slamming into the enemy is the best animation in the game, and I will not hear otherwise.

Zuul's attacks work pretty well it too, I think.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I really like how Z tends to weave the various universes together. It's also done much better than the Alpha series, though part of that is because of the series involved. It also helps that the Z games' worlds are basically fusions of various worlds. Two Japans, Britannian Union, etc.

And the fat robot is the best.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is a nice touch when superbigbads like Zuul have a greater awareness of what is going on, it usually doesn't amount to much other than a few cryptic lines, but it beats the rest by far. This Zuul doesn't quite seem to be up to par with the Buff Clan from Alpha 3 or the Fallen Angels from Z1 yet but I have high hopes for him, because Godmars had cool crossovers in D.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Could we see what Zuul says to Crowe?
And my favorite thing about the Godmars' animation is how they literally change Takeru's haircut for every cut-in.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Really? I didn't think it was a big deal at all - the attacks are always fluid enough to follow what's happening, and I actually think the stiffness kind of works to GodMars' favor, considering its whole gimmick as an actual tactical unit is that it's tough as hell. It looks kind of badass when it just shrugs off some enemy missile or something.
There's that, but both opening cinematics for the Z2 games feature Godmars moving with fluidity for the few shots its in them. So...why do that for the opening cinematics and not for the in-game action?

Basically, if your opening cinematics tease something, there should be an effort to see that teasing, in my opinion.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If you don't like God Mars killing things with the power of 80s animation, you have no soul.

Also the opening cinematics for Z2 show everything in 3D but all of the actual animations are 2D. Why must Banpresto tease us like this?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

There's that, but both opening cinematics for the Z2 games feature Godmars moving with fluidity for the few shots its in them. So...why do that for the opening cinematics and not for the in-game action?
SRW is a series about fanservice. God Mars is a cheesy 80s show with no animation.

This is a weird comparison, but work with me here. Imagine if there was an equivalent game about western superheroes, and Adam West Batman was in it. You'd want his attack animations to involve flailing wildly and giant cartoon sound effects showing up to obscure the screen entirely, right? It's the same principle.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

BlitzBlast posted:

If you don't like God Mars killing things with the power of 80s animation, you have no soul.

Also the opening cinematics for Z2 show everything in 3D but all of the actual animations are 2D. Why must Banpresto tease us like this?!

And even there Godmars had no real animation to speak of. It's amazing how thoroughly they stuck to the joke.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Endorph posted:

Imagine if there was an equivalent game about western superheroes, and Adam West Batman was in it. You'd want his attack animations to involve flailing wildly and giant cartoon sound effects showing up to obscure the screen entirely, right? It's the same principle.

Now I'm mad that there will never be any such thing.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
The robot that makes up the body of God Mars is the dumpiest most adorable thing just hanging out there after ramming the enemy. :allears:

Guys I think Ime might have made Nein Industries up. It's even in the name.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

SRW is a series about fanservice. God Mars is a cheesy 80s show with no animation.

This is a weird comparison, but work with me here. Imagine if there was an equivalent game about western superheroes, and Adam West Batman was in it. You'd want his attack animations to involve flailing wildly and giant cartoon sound effects showing up to obscure the screen entirely, right? It's the same principle.
Eh, maybe it's just personal tastes then. I mean, I'm a child of the later 80s, so I'm used to the cheese of said era. But enough of that derail.

ActionZero posted:

Guys I think Ime might have made Nein Industries up. It's even in the name.
Who knows? Just because it's a fancy German name doesn't mean it's automatically fake.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

AradoBalanga posted:

a fancy German name

http://translate.google.com/#de/en/nein

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
STRANGE QUIRKS OF TRANSLITERATION ADVENTURES: It's ネイン, which is pronounced like "Nane". I'm not sure why. If someone knows if it means anything I'm open to information.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

STRANGE QUIRKS OF TRANSLITERATION ADVENTURES: It's ネイン, which is pronounced like "Nane". I'm not sure why. If someone knows if it means anything I'm open to information.
The only thing Google Translate gives me is the Turkish word for "mint", which I highly doubt is the case. But, given how Japanese tweaks their characters to make Western names/words work in their native tongue, it's probably "Nein" because: "ネ" = "Ne" (the biggest tip-off) and "イン" = "in", given this setup.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Like how everyone is going on about, I love how Zuul is basically captain foreshadow how loving awesome everyone is. It's a nice twist compared to the usual sort of boss bragging.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BlitzBlast posted:

You've never actually seen the 3D SRW animations, have you?

Lets just say there's a very good reason why they almost immediately went back to 2D animation.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Basically, if your opening cinematics tease something, there should be an effort to see that teasing, in my opinion.

Ever since MX's cinematic promised us team attacks between Raiden and (sigh) Raxephon and Daimos/Vikungfu/Dendoh and the game completely failed to deliver, I've never expected the cinematics to accurately reflect the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

In New York, Treize, Alejandro, and Schneizel get the news that GOONZ is shaking off their pursuit and heading to the Republic of Limonesia. They figure GOONZ can take on their forces if they wanted to, but that would make GOONZ the bad guys.

Treize doesn't mind leaving us alone for now. Because he still wants to pull their strings, asks Alejandro? No need to get our hands dirty, replies Treize. "I just have great expectations for them. Greater than Elgan Roddick's."

Besides, Shioni Regis has made it clear that she won't stand for U. N. forces occupying her country. What for? She certainly doesn't have the power to repel GOONZ herself. Is she protecting us, or does she have a deeper game?Alejandro has Ribbons send a recon team to Limonesia, just in case. (The others are a little surprised at the responsibility he's investing in a secretary, but Alejandro vouches for his trustworthiness and ability). The conspirators decide to sit back and watch. Whether Limonesia or GOONZ comes out on top, it's clear something big's about to happen.

Meanwhile, GOONZ' scouting team in Limonesia is identifying former terrorists left and right posing as civilians - members of organizations that got the business end of Celestial Being. Lockon is ready to shoot them all right now, but Crowe talks him down. We need them to take their WLF bosses a message on behalf of GOONZ: we're here to destroy the WLF, so let's all keep the civilians out of it. Fight us away from civilian soil, or Lockon here will make them wish they were never born.

Crowe wonders, like so many others, what gets Lockon so worked up about terrorists getting innocent bystandards in their crossfire. Lockon refuses to answer, but remembers his family, killed or scattered in terrorist attacks. As for what Crowe's business is here, he just says he's looking for someone he knows. Not an old friend in with the wrong crowd or anything, just someone he wants to check on.

Crowe. You like this world?
It sucks, but I can't complain.
This isn't about making up for past mistakes. Just, as long as I'm in GOONZ, I want to do my part to make it better.
You?
Same.
Let's do this. Snipe all the distortions off the face of the world.

And Shioni is taking a walk alone on the beaches of Limonesia. The sun is rising, and with it, a new chapter of history. She's worked so long and hard for her country. The DEC helped, but it's soon to run out. So she clung to Ime's plans and Project Uzume as the way to save Limonesia, and that's not going to change. Once the project goes online, Shioni Regis will go down in history as the savior of Limonesia - no, its messiah...

Chapter 22: The Siege of Limonesia

So the WLF sure is here. All their forces in the country have been gathered here, at the capitol. A soldier suggests that maybe they would have had an easier time fighting if they gave up the city, but the captain barks that they will not be cowed by threats. The WLF is an amalgam of losers, and it's important to send the message that they will be ordered around no longer! Except by, uh, Axion, and the Foreign Minister of Limonesia, and sure, maybe they're using the WLF as bait, but...

he doesn't really have anything to continue that with.

In fact, they all probably know they're screwed. Still, this map presents some problems.

In a moment, I'm actually going to talk about unit arrangement. Anyway, the WLF is trying to hold the city, but their units are all off the borders and on the coast. So they were cowed by threats. Even so, GOONZ is impressed by how much firepower they've pulled together. Looks like Ime's tip was right. Holland and Talho mutter that if poo poo goes down, they're very willing to ditch. We didn't need them anyway! Takeru, as Crowe predicted, has pulled himself together in the name of truth and justice.

Carlos is all but nuking popcorn. Shioni has evacuated all her citizens and is totally ready for Project Uzume. Ime wants to see us and the WLF take each other out, or so he says, but Carlos says that after Uzume goes off, it won't matter. "I'm so excited to see how this shakes up our rotten world."

Anyway, our special win condition tonight is your standard 3-turn mop-up, but as I was saying, there are some complications.

Mainly, the Cancers at the corners of the map. They're about as far from us as they can be, have low movement and range, and can't leave the water. We'll have to go to them.

That's why I've placed Getter-2, Mazinger, Wing, Kyrios, Nova, and Alto at the corners of the formation. They're going to be the flank assault.

North team might need a little more. Besides, Chain Actions is good for mobility, not just damage and cleanup.

The less pressing issue is the sniper Tieren at the center of the map, who will take a little focus because they like to avoid counterattacks.

But that's a problem for later. Main team, charge!

This is what's wrong with Cancers.

So anyway...

The WLF grunt mechs are as weak as ever. The majority exploded or almost exploded uneventfully, but the Genocidrons are still chilling at the back and I have yet to deal with the Cancers.

You know who's supposed to rock in the water?

This is like the only chapter I get to use Getter-3.

I think with Musashi on the job, we can focus on all the guys on land now.

Even hit some Genocidrons.

The right advance team is having a bit more trouble with the Cancers.

Well, maybe not Heero, who attacks twice and roasts the hell out of--

Right. Beam weapons diffract in water.

Seriously, every enemy on this map is eight billion miles away. All these relatively slow units (how dare they have an average speed of 6) are lagging behind while the quick ones are stretched thin.

Enemy phase, turn 2.

Musashi murderates his Cancers.

Kouji and Aoi finish off theirs.

And, uh, a Leo goes underwater to fight Getter-3? What the hell?

All the snipers fall.

I always underestimate the number of Genocidrons on this map, but they are certainly not as scary as they used to be.

At this point, the only real pain point is this lazy rear end in a top hat over here who has been refusing to do anything.

Never mind!

Wow. They don't make these like they used to.

Oh, look at that. One of the Genocidrons dropped a lump of a bonus 10000 Gs.

There are two of those on the map. In this case they're so certain Genocidrons can give rewards above and beyond their template. As a "bonus," Gs dropped like that aren't affected by any money boosters (Luck, Crowe's Ace, etc.).

Executive summary: GOONZ destroys the WLF.

The final one drops a very special equipment: a Haro from Gundam. These are really really good and extremely coveted in Super Robot Wars. It adds 2 movement, 1 weapon range, and 25 points of Mobility and Accuracy for whatever robot it's equipped on. Obviously, they're quite rare, and we might pick up a small handful ever over the course of the game.

So yeah no one is surprised that the WLF are a bunch of weaklings. Looks like external damage was kept to a minimum, too. All that's left is for Chairman Roddick to take the necessary steps against the Embassy of Limonesia and Axion Corp., and all our problems are over.

Only Crowe is suspicious. Did Ime seriously just help us out of the goodness of his heart?

But wait! A massive energy signature appears on the scanners - and it turns out to be a flying fortress!

Turns out our pals are on board the "Great Axion." Carlos is enjoying our shock immensely.

Then, Arietes sorties from the airship and begins Project Uzume.

It's another absolutely tremendous dimensional thrash directly between the ship and Arietes, bigger than any previously recorded, and we're caught right in the middle of it! Jeffrey orders a full-speed retreat. Carlos says again that he's going to change our messed-up world, and Ime exults that the gate to Insaraum is about to open...

and an enormous amount of energy is released right over Limonesia.

It's looking bad in the Quarter. There seem to be no casualties, but the ship has sustained heavy damage and the dimensional break knocked out most of their sensors. But the few that are left are reading something truly bizarre - what looks like a person moving at the epicenter of the event!

And that's it for a dull chapter with an explosive ending. Sit tight!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And now poo poo officially gets real. Next mission is one of the best and is basically where Z2 officially becomes a sequel to Z1.

Also I also hate this chapter for more or less the reasons outlined. The Genocidrones and the Cancers flat out refuse to play ball and get shot down.

Crowe and Lockon are the best duo in my mind, better even than Heero and Setsuna.

Using a Haro as the be-all and end-all of Real Robot items actually has its roots in Victory Gundam. For those who haven't seen that one Usso, the protagonist, has a Haro as a co-pilot that saves his bacon repeatedly. It's actually an advanced support AI that sometimes pilots the Gundam all on its own and is clever enough to help Usso on the ground, famously playing sounds of machine gun fire to distract enemy soldiers. The item in question changes occasionally, in W it's a Super Electronic Brain like the ones in the GGG vehicle robots and in the OG series it's a "High Performance Custom Computer". Of course there are plenty of games without V Gundam where it's still a Haro, but whatever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm surprised they still have space for filler chapters.

GilliamYaeger posted:

You've never actually seen the 3D SRW animations, have you?

I was being sarcastic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I actually don't mind this mission. Yeah, it sucks balls if you're going for the skill point, but this is probably the first mission in this game where GOONZ starts to feel like the awe-inspiring massed force of Justice that the best SRWs make you feel like - just tearing through an army of what used to be moderately threatening units and all. And it sets up for the next mission, which is loving awesome.

Seconding the love for Lockon and Crowe's brofest. They compliment each other quite nicely, and it's fairly unusual in my experience for the original characters to pal around with someone from another series as much as Crowe does with Lockon.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

And now poo poo officially gets real. Next mission is one of the best and is basically where Z2 officially becomes a sequel to Z1.

Also I also hate this chapter for more or less the reasons outlined. The Genocidrones and the Cancers flat out refuse to play ball and get shot down.

Crowe and Lockon are the best duo in my mind, better even than Heero and Setsuna.

Using a Haro as the be-all and end-all of Real Robot items actually has its roots in Victory Gundam. For those who haven't seen that one Usso, the protagonist, has a Haro as a co-pilot that saves his bacon repeatedly. It's actually an advanced support AI that sometimes pilots the Gundam all on its own and is clever enough to help Usso on the ground, famously playing sounds of machine gun fire to distract enemy soldiers. The item in question changes occasionally, in W it's a Super Electronic Brain like the ones in the GGG vehicle robots and in the OG series it's a "High Performance Custom Computer". Of course there are plenty of games without V Gundam where it's still a Haro, but whatever.

I've never seen Victory Gundam, so I was wondering when it made the transition from 'cute kid's toy' to 'cutesy-but-competant support AI'. Of course, the Haro in Z2 is likely more a reference to the Haro that Lockon uses for support: in the anime, I believe when Lockon was focusing on sniping, he'd leave maneuvering to Haro.

Also, while this level is kinda boring, I actually like it, especially in contrast to the next mission. In this mission, you really get to go all-out, and show just how absurdly powerful your team really is. At this point, it'd take a truly ridiculous force to compete with you.

EDIT: Heh, guess I should have read Spiritus Nox's response before posting. Yeah, pretty much exactly what he said.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
You shoulda had Duo take out at least once Cancer, since for some reason Deathscythe is supposed to be pretty great underwater.
Also, Haro-as-copilot basically makes them into R2-D2s.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Wounded Land posted:

You shoulda had Duo take out at least once Cancer, since for some reason Deathscythe is supposed to be pretty great underwater.
Also, Haro-as-copilot basically makes them into R2-D2s.

Duo doesn't have Accelerate. He's a good skirmisher, but for this one you need chargers.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now...we get to meet a wonderful fellow that is...let's say, "very special", to avoid spoilers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TheBystander posted:

I've never seen Victory Gundam, so I was wondering when it made the transition from 'cute kid's toy' to 'cutesy-but-competant support AI'. Of course, the Haro in Z2 is likely more a reference to the Haro that Lockon uses for support: in the anime, I believe when Lockon was focusing on sniping, he'd leave maneuvering to Haro.

Oh certainly the Haros here are probably going to be the 00 Haros, but equipment parts have always been heavily segregated from the story or why else would you find a Haro on the wreckage of an enemy unit? In series Gundam 00 has Celestial Being using their Haros due to being a small militant organization trying to take on the world, there's a bunch of Haros who help run the Ptolemaios for instance.

Wounded Land posted:

That's fairly common, in SRW the Wing Gundams are usually given a good underwater terrain rating (though the pilots rarely are as good underwater). One of the early episodes of Wing shows that Heero stashes the Wing Gundam underwater to keep it out of sight.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Gate to Insalaum eh? I like where this is going.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Shioni is understandably horrified that Project Uzume - which you may remember Carlos and Ime both promised her would put her nation back on the map - has instead wiped a chunk of it off the map. Ime calls in to assure her that this is simply a sign of their new friend's vast power. "Come, let us celebrate... the arrival of the King of Destruction."

Chapter 23: The Curtain Rises on a New World

Starting up cold. No visible enemies yet. The key here, as you'll soon see, is to lead with units that can ramp up very quickly - Morale, Resolve, Spirit, low-cost weapons, and so on. Simon is obviously the pinnacle of this.

There's a huge crater where the city used to be, and all the pilots are sickened by the sight. Meanwhile, the Great Axion and Arietes are nowhere to be found.

In their place, a lone human stands amidst the rubble. He notices us and murmurs, "Fresh prey..."

And in the blink of an eye, he's punching a hole in the Macross' armor with his bare hands. In fact, he seems impressed that it could absorb his blow at all. Even Kamina is a little scared.

As quickly as he charged, he leaps back to the crater and unleashes a barrage of power on GOONZ, taunting us over private communication lines that we'll be a fun hunt.

Zero orders GOONZ to return fire. Shirota protests that their enemy is an unarmed human, but by now it's pretty obvious that's far from the case.

As the smoke clears, a new, enormous creature erupts from a dimensional rip with the King riding it like a mount. He invites us to come at him with all we've got. Tieria advises against fighting an unknown enemy, but it doesn't look like he's going to give us a choice!

The main win condition - destroy the mystery man - is irrelevant. But the SR Point is to deal him 45000 damage within three turns. And given that he's on the other corner of the map, that's probably more like two.

??? (???)
Skills
Double Move
Perfection
Spirit Block
Morale
Break Will Limit
Prevail L5
Spirits
:iiam:
Traits
All Cancel
Weapons
:iiam:
Ace Bonus: -

Well, gently caress.

First, note that he's level 70 and has insane stats, including an amount of HP that is literally off the charts.

Second, note that he has a laundry list of very dangerous skills, including Perfection (which you've seen) and the ability to take two complete turns every phase, pretty much the two most dangerous skills in the game and both restricted to bosses and only bosses.

Third, cry.

This is going to be one of the few times Zero actually issues the order to defend. I've got a bad feeling we're about to weather something pretty nasty.

Turn 1. Everyone's sticking together and close to the commanders. Takeru, Aoi, and Kamina all cast Spirit. Musashi cast Drive on the entire Getter team.

Now we absorb.

Something inside me is telling me... to gather the strong.
What wants me to do that? What's driving me to fight?
Why does my blood boil? Where is my true enemy?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4cQc0PzcSI
It gives Chirico a chance to get hit.

Aoi has better luck...

And on round 2, we're set up to begin the assault.

Zero analyzes the beast and gives the Charge! order.

As usual, the strategy is to surround him...

But it looks like his massive stats aren't just for intimidation.

I'll have to use all my attacks and defenses for this one.

It's going well so far, I suppose, but...

That bastard Ime! He's brought me to a fun universe!

Hmm.

Kouji doesn't have the morale to use his Breast Fire yet, but he should after he exchanges blows.

By the way, Mazinger Z takes the counterattack pretty well, but I should clarify that this is after the Guard spirit, which cuts the damage to a quarter.

So I guess this is going all right. He's surrounded now and the round has really only just started.

By the way, Super Robot Wars traditionally doesn't show the enemy's HP numbers until they're below 100,000. So, again, this is how much HP he has.

I brought Lockon because of his complete lack of reliance on Morale to use his weapons and his ability to Support.

That said, ouch.

Anyway, we can position him to a more friendly place.

Likewise with the Quarter, which can't attack but will be providing moral support and using its cannon repeatedly.

Speaking of support, Crowe is good at that.

And like I said, you can see the boss' HP now. His active skill is Perfection, but I haven't brought any pilots who can Exhaust his Will down right now. Since his total HP is 122,400, I might actually be able to take him out this round with my upgraded GOONZ. He needs to be knocked down about 20,000 more points this turn if we're to avoid seeing his MAP attack up close and personal.

Another round of Crowe.

(I'm putting Heero next to Setsuna so they get the most out of their friendship, by the way.)

Okay. Just a little bit more to go, but I'm running out of strong attackers.

Whew! (By the way, I tried pretty hard to get a bonus video of that MAP attack for you. He didn't cooperate. Sorry.)

The Question (Mark) isn't satisfied with our performance. GOONZ is still making GBS threads themselves, but if we hesitate even to run, we're chow. They all wonder if they're going to die here.

Then Ime shows up with the Great Axion and addresses ??? as his king, grovelling that he is most deeply honored to have entertained him. He introduces us to the "King of Destruction," and the true master of the DAMons. Then he informs the King that the gate to Insaraum is open.

The King calls in his entourage and tells them he's found a new arena for them. We see two unknown robots and two new, terrifying varieties of DAMon.

The robots are even piloted. We'll be seeing more of them. But having teased us, Gaioh takes his posse and leaves.

Ime calls his pals to leave too. Shioni is still in shock at the fate of Limonesia. Carlos jokes that there's no point dwelling on it since everyone's dead anyway, but goes serious for just a second and grimly says he never expected anything like this. But oh well! What's done is done, let's make the most of it!

Crowe wants to know just what's going on here, but Ime is just cryptic again. "Even that much of the energy of Creation couldn't awaken you," he sneers. "This was a bit of a waste of time. Farewell, Crowe Brust. You aren't even worth killing to me."

He summons DAMons and, as he turns his back, decides that we should know before we go - the whole story of Nein was fake. Zero seems especially shaken up by all he said about the King of Destruction, but right now we have bigger problems on our plate.

He's even left us one of the new DAMons - a Dinodamon. It's even more powerful than a Rhinodamon.

Actually, small favors - the only win condition now is to destroy the Dinodamon. The others are optional.

The Dinodamon is pretty drat strong, and I might as well let you know now - it's wearing a droppable DM-Armor. This is like any armor part in that it increases the equipped unit's Armor rating, but instead of giving bonus HP, it restores 10% of the unit's HP each round. Since the Dinodamon has equipped it, though, it's going to benefit from it, and it stacks with its 10% HP and EN regeneration.

The bad news is that the turn is almost over, I'm surrounded by DAMons, and everyone's still high on that tactical order. Whoops!

Hopefully it'll work out.

There are still a lot of regular Damons out here, which is nice.

Lockon learns Invincible. That's actually pretty handy - he didn't have a survival Spirit yet.

But most of the Damons - who, you may remember, can't move and attack at the same time - just converge around GOONZ.

I really do hate Bulldamons, though. Shield aside, they're ridiculously tough and annoying for shock troopers and it's going to get worse as they replace the regular Damons.

Lockon gets piled on, and manages to pull through!

But the King had already hit him hard, and he soon gets overwhelmed. Sorry.

There are also two Rhinodamon. I suppose they're the sub-bosses.

poo poo I don't like the way this is going.

Ow! How did he--

Why does it have a drill?

Why does it have a drill rocket punch made of flesh?!

Well, apparently all that dimensional digging did something bad to the fabric of spacetime, because something else is breaking through reality again. More Damons?

Oh. poo poo.

(This guy is from Z. I'll explain later, when the characters learn about him themselves.)

The Dinodamon seems to dislike him. Why? "Oh," the black stranger says. "You're trapped in an unending Hell, just like me. I'll unchain your soul!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWZ6KBTMx8
And then that happens. GOONZ doesn't know who the stranger is, but at this point, they'll take any help they can get! Sumeragi orders her men not to touch the black robot.

He chuckles when he notices the Brasta and says everything makes sense now.

Shuroga (???)
Skills
Counter L6
Perfection
Block
EN Save
Prevail L4
Break Will Limit
Spirits
Accel
Sense
Mercy
Traits
HP Regen M
EN Regen L
Pilot Block
Blade
Weapons
Luster Edge
Embrace the Inferno
Discalibur
Ace Bonus: -

Should be pretty obvious that this guy isn't joining us, like, ever. He's actually computer-controlled right now.

Zero orders a regular Attack this time. No point leaving ourselves open.

I should get on the Dino soon, since it's regenerating fast, but might as well take down a few weakened Damons on the way.

Besides, at this point I can almost kill it at leisure.

Plenty of time to take down the Rhinodamons, also valuable targets. The first one gets a lot of super robot.

The second takes a bit more work.

Back to business.

Oh, come on.

Well, that's okay. The DM Hunter himself can finish this one off.

drat it! It's even stronger than MD!
Seriously, what are DAMons anyway? And what do the King of Destruction and Ime Liard have to do with them?

Crowe scores the DM Armor.

The rest of the Damons vanish, but we're still in a bad spot. A country just exploded and left a very powerful, very dangerous entity in its place.

There's still the matter of this guy. His name is Asakim Douwin, "or at least that's what I'm called now." Crowe introduces himself back, and Asakim tells Crowe to consider himself lucky. "You're not worth killing quite yet. So I'll be off to keep looking for peace." He vanishes like the wind.

But wait! The world's communication lines have been hijacked! Someone is (yet again) broadcasting their message to the whole planet!

"Attention, viewers all over the world," intones Shioni. "I am Shioni Regis, leader of a new empire: the Imperium."

"We of the Imperium have no land," she continues. "Our whole nation is the mobile fortress, Great Axion, and those that serve it. We demand to be recognized as a sovereign nation, and we demand absolute freedom. Anyone who interferes with us will be considered to infringe on that freedom, and we will respond with extreme prejudice."

Wow. "The Great Axion is currently moving southwest from coordinates 1271. The Harnes Federation, which lies on that path, has asked us to stay out of their airspace. We consider that a declaration of war. Our forces are composed of DAMons, and the world will see exactly what that entails two hours after this broadcast ends. Within two hours, the Harnes Federation will no longer exist.

"We are Imperium, a new empire. Know that all who try to control us will be met with force."

Corny is pretty mad about this. Dalton and Gilford point out that if Shioni is telling the truth, everyone is in serious trouble. She orders all the knights serving with the joint op back to Area 11's defense immediately, and drat the Peacekeeping Council. The U. N. is scarcely a consideration right now - the Imperium certainly won't respect them. "The world is changing," she growls. "If we make the wrong move, it will change into a new Hell."

The Ashford kids confirm that the Federation really is being attacked by DAMons. Nunnally is worried about Lelouche. Saji assures her that he's fine - he's in France, way out of the Imperium's way. Oops! Suzaku's deployed, of course, but he's probably also nowhere near the warpath. It's Relena who's really worried - about Heero, and the flames of war spreading all over the world...

Team Cub Reporter is in Singapore, where they're getting the news of the assault on Harnes. They can make it there well within two hours, but Isabelle talks Kunue out of it. This is way bigger than either of them. "This is like dropping a rock in a pond," she explains, "only the rock is more like a meteor. The ripples are going to spread all over the pond, and there's a chance the whole pond will go up in steam." She's sure the Gundams and Dancouga will make their move soon. All she knows is, they have to be ready to keep up with the truth if they want to have a chance of telling it.

In a hotel in Paris, Sheryl is desperately trying to keep Ranka calm. The two singers panicking isn't going to help Alto, Ozma, or anyone else. But what's sure is that they're all fighting as hard as they can. "So what can we do? Their job is to fight. What's ours?"

Ranka knows the answer: "Sing."

Five minutes before the deadline, New York hears that the Harnes Federation has been wiped out. And this isn't about Limonesia - the Imperium is strictly under the thumbs of Shioni and Axion. Treize asks Lady if she thinks they would have saved Harnes if they had stormed the shores of Limonesia earlier, but she supposes they would only have delayed its destruction a bit. Treize and Schneizel would have taken that bit of time and saved whoever they could, but Alejandro reminds the two that there's nothing they could have done - they're not gods.

Schneizel snaps that there is no god. That's what they, the leaders, are there for. "Nothing we could have done" isn't in the prince's vocabulary. Treize just resolves not to forget what happened today. Still, the U. N. joint forces are disbanded. It's up to each nation to weather the coming storm, if they can, by themslves. Meanwhile, Britannian King Charles is in his room and won't speak to anyone, but Schneizel isn't so sure it's because he's stressed about the situation.

Finally, Treize mentions that all their plans are back to square one. On the other hand, Alejandro thinks he can use the Imperium to get them back on the right track, but Schneizel sees that going down that path will lead to even more bloodshed. Treize, for his part, hopes that maybe GOONZ will set things back on the right course...

Charles has a super nice room. He says that Schneizel and the Imperium both will see sooner or later that war is a waste of effort.

Elgan is talking to no one again. "Yes, I know," he says. "It may well be important. That's why I let the girl do as she wished, knowing full well that it would cost many lives." He pauses. "Irrelevant. If we cannot defeat it, we have no future. If it destroys the world first, it may as well. Pandora's Box was full of curses, but at the very bottom was hope. Yes, it may be false hope. I know humans can think they see hope where none exists. But we can only have faith. Faith that GOONZ, and that our... visitors will bring real hope to the human race.

Finally, we turn back to the Great Axion, where Shioni is pretty pissed at Ime. He's actually very pleased with all this - between her excellent oratory and a wonderful performance in Harnes, the entire world is terrified of the Imperium. And sure, Limonesia was a heavy price, "but don't forget," he smirks. "Limonesia was destroyed by you yourself."

As Shioni freaks out, Carlos changes the subject to this King character. Ime simply repeats that he's what Carlos wanted, the power to change the world. Sure, Carlos wanted power, and Project Uzume's purpose was to channel lots of energy from parallel universes, but... Ime says that the power took the form of the King of Destruction, with whom he's been working the whole time. Shioni wails that Ime promised her control of the world through DAMons and raw energy, and he points out that for once, he told the truth. Imperium effectively rules the world now. Promise kept.

But Carlos has just one objection: the name. "King of Destruction" sounds so cheesy and old-fashioned. His new name is Gaioh, and his huge battle-throne is the Geiltiran. Gaioh doesn't remember a thing about his life, let alone his name, so "Gaioh" is fine with him. And he remembers one thing, a command etched into his brain: to fight. The whole world is his hunting grounds now, and he expects the finest prey delivered to him.

UP NEXT:

A narration tells us that no one knows the meaning of Gaioh's fight, not even Gaioh himself. But the event that would come to be known as the Calamitous Birth marked the beginning of a new age of war, violence, and suffering. The Imperium spread conflict and death in its path, but even as those they subjugated swallowed their fear and anger, some of them found new resolve.

Zero wants to return to Area 11 now that his Black Knights have crushed the WLF and enjoyed the spotlight for a while. Celestial Being needs to get back to its original goal (fighting the concept of war itself), and with the Imperium on the move, it has its work cut out for it. For the moment, Sumeragi wants to return to orbit and regroup her Meisters. Jeffrey, captain of a space warship after all, decides to take the S. M. S. and go with her. Holland doesn't have anywhere particular to be, but wants to stick with the Peacekeeping Council - as he says, Elgan Roddick owes him. And the best way he can take advantage of the Council's hospitality is by working for them and using Roddick as air cover.

In summary, we're going three ways. The group that will remain under the Peacekeeping Council will consist of the original Crushers - Mazinger, Aphrodite, the real Crushers, 21st Century, Takeo General, the Gurren Gang, the Getter Team, and the Gekko. (The Getter Team needs to swing by Japan for maintenance.) The group that heads up to space will pack the S. M. S. squad, Celestial Being, and Team D. Finally, Zero will return to Area 11 with the Black Knights, Chirico, and the Colony Gundams.

As for Traia, Axion's staff all have their doubts, but none of them dare speak up against Carlos. And Traia is sure she'll be just fine. After all, she figures, she'll be very disappointed in him if he brings the whole Imperium on her little ol' lab. And he'll never be able to live with himself if he has to use the Imperium to kill her. His pride couldn't take it, you see. No, she'll be all right.

At any rate, the lab's making good use of the data Crowe's selling, and maybe sometime she'll have an upgrade for the Brasta that can go head to head with the moron's dumb Damons. Speaking of data, Crowe may be saving the world, but he hasn't forgotten about money. Traia admits he's got a point, and totals his findings up to a value of a cool 300,000, bringing Crowe's debt down to half its original of 490,000 G.

But seriously, where does Crowe go? With the WPC, up into space, or to Area 11?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Let's go with the Peacekeeping Council, more Mazinger can never hurt. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Crowe needs to level up the Lockon Stratos Social Link (Take Space Route).

Fun trivia: Our newly arrived Gaioh is voiced by Rikiya Koyama. Among his roles are Banpresto Original Ricardo Silvera (in the PSP port of the remade Lord of the Elemental game and its sequel, Revelation of Evil God), Shinigami from Soul Eater, and the Japanese dub voice for Jack Bauer in 24.

• Locked thread