Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

I'm always trying to avoid building a freenas box for home use but I know I'll end up at that point sometime in the next year. However I know that there are a lot of data hoarders here. How many of you have considered using GlusterFS when one nas box isn't enough?
http://www.gluster.org/
I am just going to export some storage from another box to my main fileserver via iSCSI and then reexport that via zfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Longinus00 posted:

Industry standard has been to slash warranties on consumer HDs. As has been mentioned WD Blacks are 5 years but unfortunately they're also relatively expensive and 7200rpm.

Yeah, thats what I figured. 3 years is what I'll target. Thanks for the info.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm currently retrying a virtual ZFS fileserver setup. This time with FreeBSD, which runs remarkably well under Hyper-V, I have to say. I get up to 30MB/s of network traffic on an emulated network adapter without jumbo frames, and Samba 3.x of all things.

I tried to stick to Storage Spaces, but it's so goddamn retarded right now, it's practically useless. For one, it can't balance disk space properly, when mixing different redundancies over drives added at different points of time (resulting in varying fill grades), and actual resilience relies on the file system on top. And the really only practical option is ReFS, which isn't shipped by default with client Windows (yet), and is relatively kneecapped in functionality, too (i.e. it can only recover from mirrors, but not parity spaces, for whatever reason).

Kind of sad that Windows has an installable file system API, but no one even considered porting ZFS over.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 5, 2013

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm soon to be emigrating from the UK to Canada and I'll be taking my Microserver with me. I've never transported something like this before, and don't know the best practice.

Do i ship all the drives together, or do I do split or individual shipments? My array consists of five drives and is RAIDZ2. I'm thinking the drives will go by DHL or something, then send the chassis along with my furniture as freight.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy decent packaging for shipping drives? Preferably cardboard with padding, kinda like the ones new HDDs come in?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
How much actual data do you have? Might be worth buying 1 3tb drive and backing your data up to it just in case, then shipping the whole server with drives and all.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

tarepanda posted:

Does anyone have a source for hot swap drive caddies that fit in the N40L bay? The HP replacements are ridiculously expensive.

Could I use other Proliant server caddies? The G4, G5, and G6 caddies all look like they're pretty much the same, just cosmetically different...

If anyone else was wondering, I measured the Proliant caddies and they won't fit -- they're something like 15 cm too long and use the opposite orientation. :x

Any other options?

Replacement drive cages?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a Promise SmartStore DS4600 connected to a Mac Mini via Firewire. Our network file transfers have recently become very slow, which I have verified with a local disk benchmarking program. Writes are only going about 4MB/s but reads are going 30-40MB/s depending on whether I connect using FW800 or USB 2.0.

I loaded Promise's SmartNAVI program but SMART the drives are fine. There are two 2TB WD20EARS-00MVWB0, one is F/W 51.0AB51 and the other is 50.0AB50.

Should I buy a whole new NAS (we're using 1.5TB right now) or just get two new drives to replace what's in there? We backup each night to another external HD so I'm not worried about the data itself, I just don't want to spend a whole day re-initializing two brand new drives, restore our data, and then have the unit still act up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Those are 4k-sector drives, and the performance you're describing sounds like an alignment issue. Those drives aren't on the original compatibility list for that device, but they are on the most recent version. You might need to do a firmware update to ensure compatibility, but that still won't fix the current alignment issue without reinitializing the disks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Those are 4k-sector drives, and the performance you're describing sounds like an alignment issue. Those drives aren't on the original compatibility list for that device, but they are on the most recent version. You might need to do a firmware update to ensure compatibility, but that still won't fix the current alignment issue without reinitializing the disks.

An alignment problem isn't going to just pop up over the weekend, right? This setup has been running for like 3 years.

I'm almost thinking of replacing it just go with a 3TB or 4TB model because it looks like we might cross the 2TB mark in a year or so.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

An alignment problem isn't going to just pop up over the weekend, right?
Nope.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
A year ago I built a Freenas machine using an AMD E350 motherboard and 6 2TB drives in RaidZ2. It's worked great but I'm running low on space so I need to upgrade. Now, I could buy 6 3TB drives and do the slow replace/resilver dance, adding about 4TB more space, but then I'd be left with all those perfectly fine 2TB drives sitting around doing nothing. I'm considering buying a card to add more sata ports and adding the 3TB drives as another RaidZ2 array into the pool, thus adding about 12TB of extra space. But I have a few questions.

First, will my 430 watt power supply be able to handle the extra 6 drives?

Second, are there any recommendations for a good card to add sata ports? I know the IBM M1015 is highly recommended, but I'm having trouble finding a place to buy a new one for a decent price. Are there any other good cards I should be look for, or should I suck it up and grab a used one off ebay?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you want up to eight additional drives, the M1015 is definitely your best bet. No reason not to get one used, the only kicker with it is you have to get the correct cable since it doesn't have standard SATA connectors.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

g0del posted:

First, will my 430 watt power supply be able to handle the extra 6 drives?

Typically a modern 3TB drive will suck up to 1 Amp over the 12V rail on initialization, of which there is plenty of in your 430W PSU. You only have to get a lot of Sata->2xSata or Pata->2xSata power adapters to actually fit them, but those come in very cheap.

And ebay is the recommended way to snatch a M1015.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Today I bought an N40L and added 8GB RAM, an SSD, and a single 3TB WB Red (more to come, but not for RAID). I installed the bios mod and sped up all SATA ports, and I installed ubuntu-server because I'm familiar with it, along with sabnzbd and sickbeard. All seems to be working well, I just have a couple of questions:

1. I get about 100MB/s copying my data from my old machine via samba. That's pretty good, isn't it? I hear people suggesting Intel NICs for them but it seems like that would be overkill.
2. Are there any power options I need to look at in the bios? I'd like the fan to adjust according to temp, the CPU to step according to load, and the HDDs to spin down when not in use. Or are these things I'll need to fix in ubuntu?

That's all, thanks!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

deep square leg posted:

Today I bought an N40L and added 8GB RAM, an SSD, and a single 3TB WB Red (more to come, but not for RAID). I installed the bios mod and sped up all SATA ports, and I installed ubuntu-server because I'm familiar with it, along with sabnzbd and sickbeard. All seems to be working well, I just have a couple of questions:

1. I get about 100MB/s copying my data from my old machine via samba. That's pretty good, isn't it? I hear people suggesting Intel NICs for them but it seems like that would be overkill.
2. Are there any power options I need to look at in the bios? I'd like the fan to adjust according to temp, the CPU to step according to load, and the HDDs to spin down when not in use. Or are these things I'll need to fix in ubuntu?

That's all, thanks!
1: Short of enabling jumbo frames, you can't get better speeds on a gigabit NIC (1024Mbps/8=128MBps, without overhead - overhead is substantial at around 5-10% of maximum theoretical depending on setup).
2: The technology is called Speedstep for Intel CPUs and either Cool'n'Quiet or PowerNow! for AMD cpus. The PWM fan is already linked to the cpu die temperature monitoring in the BIOS. HDDs powering down can be managed with powerd, all you need to do is configure it. However do be aware that most HDDs don't use much power in idle and using powerd actually causes wear and tear when the harddisk parks its head.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 6, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

deep square leg posted:

That's all, thanks!

I was getting speeds between 65MBps and 80MBps on the intergrated Realtec 8111F card, but I regularly get 100-120MBps with intel NICs. They can be had for around $20, so it is up to you to decide if that is over kill or not. It really depends on your use case.

Speaking of my NAS, I finally got FreeNAS up and running. I started with NAS4Free, and it was working well. But I was having some issues getting SABNZBD set up and managed to break my NAS web interface in the process. I know it would have been easy to fix, but I figured I would take the time to try FreeNAS.

I found FreeNAS's web UI to be a little less cluttered, but some of the options were not as intuitive. I honestly think that both products need a little work in the UI, especially with on screen help. I ended up sticking with FreeNAS because of it's jail based plugin system. FreeNAS has a web interface for configuring and managing jail based plug ins, and there are several available on their forums. Most importantly for me, there are premade ones for SAB, CP, Sickbeard, etc. I ran in a couple of small issues getting the jails set up, mostly related to documentation not clarifying best practices for the jail paths. But I was able to get it all sorted out.

I could probably write up a short little guide that walks through the steps I took to get it all working and what to avoid if there is any interest.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Can someone expand on GlusterFS? The site is gibberish to me.

Clustered, multi-host file system?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
As you stated it's a cluster file system. It was designed to deal with supercomputing storage issues. It can be scaled up to petabytes and can be distributed over different locations including into cloud storage. The replication settings remind me of the windows home server so you could set it to have only 2 or 3 copies across multiple disks or nodes. From what I've looked at glusterfs is very efficient in relation IO and disk activity.

e: Fixed ipad spelling syndrome.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 7, 2013

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

g0del posted:

Second, are there any recommendations for a good card to add sata ports? I know the IBM M1015 is highly recommended, but I'm having trouble finding a place to buy a new one for a decent price. Are there any other good cards I should be look for, or should I suck it up and grab a used one off ebay?
As I understand it, the M1015 is only a good deal because they ship with lower-end IBM servers and are often replaced with a higher end card. So there are lots of lightly used cards around, but you probably won't find many deals on a new one. You can probably buy the LSI version of the card new fairly easily, but I have no idea how much they cost.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

adorai posted:

How much actual data do you have? Might be worth buying 1 3tb drive and backing your data up to it just in case, then shipping the whole server with drives and all.

I only have about 3tb of data, so that's actually a really good idea. Maybe I'll send it ahead, then get someone to confirm that all the data is intact etc before shipping my NAS.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I have a N40L with FreeNAS installed on an internal USB, and I am getting tired of how slow it takes to load the OS (~4.5 minutes) along with the random large file transfer crashes I get on files over 4-5gb which I am assuming is due to the internal USB being only 4gb. I'm thinking of finally buying a cheap SSD to put under the top optical drive slot (that has my 5th HD) and connecting the SSD to the back eSATA port via a eSATA<->SATA cord that I have.

My question is what is the state of software raids on Windows Server? Better than ZFS? I'd like to eventually be able to use this NAS as an output device to my TV, something I can't do on FreeNAS easily, to get rid of the old laptop that I am using for tv output now. Moving to Windows would help the machine to be a good media player, but I don't know anything about how raids are on WinServ machines these days-- especially software raids.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My brother was complaining that his WD Passport wasn't working. I plugged it into my Macbook and it gave me this:

Any thoughts on what's wrong with it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The filesystem needs to be fixed and the Mac won't do that, so it is telling you to do it in Windows. If it also doesn't work in Windows, maybe something is wrong with the disk or controller.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

D. Ebdrup posted:

1: Short of enabling jumbo frames, you can't get better speeds on a gigabit NIC (1024Mbps/8=128MBps, without overhead - overhead is substantial at around 5-10% of maximum theoretical depending on setup).
2: The technology is called Speedstep for Intel CPUs and either Cool'n'Quiet or PowerNow! for AMD cpus. The PWM fan is already linked to the cpu die temperature monitoring in the BIOS. HDDs powering down can be managed with powerd, all you need to do is configure it. However do be aware that most HDDs don't use much power in idle and using powerd actually causes wear and tear when the harddisk parks its head.

Something to think about, thanks. I won't access it very often so originally I thought I might just get it to hibernate or shut down for most of the day, then wake at 5pm to do its downloading ready for use that night. But then I thought it would be little more power to keep the system on an SSD and just spin down the HDDs. Mainly I just want to shut the fan up, and it's not, so the CPU must still be hot (assuming PWM is working correctly).

Lowen SoDium posted:

I was getting speeds between 65MBps and 80MBps on the intergrated Realtec 8111F card, but I regularly get 100-120MBps with intel NICs. They can be had for around $20, so it is up to you to decide if that is over kill or not. It really depends on your use case.

I'm already getting around 100MB/s but since they are that cheap I'll have a look, cheers.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Can I get some tips on how to not suck at ZFS and/or Nexentastor? I'm trying to run a simple 2TB drive with deduplication on for NFS to use with some esxi backups and the write performance is absolutely dreadful. The box has 32G of ram dedicated to it and all the optimizations I could make for NFS and not having a cache or log drive. Is there something I'm missing or is dedup performance on Nexentastor really just bad compared to opendedup without going nuts on hardware?

Fake edit: I'm getting around 5-10MB/s average with dedup on compared to 30-40 average without it. That's really drastic.

Master Stur fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 7, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

jeeves posted:

I have a N40L with FreeNAS installed on an internal USB, and I am getting tired of how slow it takes to load the OS (~4.5 minutes) along with the random large file transfer crashes I get on files over 4-5gb which I am assuming is due to the internal USB being only 4gb. I'm thinking of finally buying a cheap SSD to put under the top optical drive slot (that has my 5th HD) and connecting the SSD to the back eSATA port via a eSATA<->SATA cord that I have.
Unless you're trying to transfer the file to the USB stick itself for some reason (you shouldn't be), if you have FreeNAS set up correctly it shouldn't really be doing much with the USB stick once it finishes loading. It's much more likely that you have some wonky setting, or that your network isn't playing nice with the Realtek NIC. Dropping a SSD into it isn't a bad plan if your complaint is response times and multi-user performance, but it's unlikely to fix file transfer issues.

As for software RAID on Windows it's...software RAID on Windows. Performance isn't amazing, but it's not terrible, and you're limited to the normal RAID levels unless you want to look into something funky like Storage Spaces. So the closest thing you get to ZFS is RAID 5, which has a few downsides compared to ZFS. Of course it's a lot easier to get video out to your TV under Windows, but something like the WD TV Live! is cheap and very effective at its job, and will happily pull videos from a N40L with FreeNAS/NAS4Free.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 7, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Master Stur posted:

Can I get some tips on how to not suck at ZFS and/or Nexentastor? I'm trying to run a simple 2TB drive with deduplication on for NFS to use with some esxi backups and the write performance is absolutely dreadful. The box has 32G of ram dedicated to it and all the optimizations I could make for NFS and not having a cache or log drive. Is there something I'm missing or is dedup performance on Nexentastor really just bad compared to opendedup without going nuts on hardware?

Fake edit: I'm getting around 5-10MB/s average with dedup on compared to 30-40 average without it. That's really drastic.

ZFS dedup is a performance killer, but 32GB of RAM versus 2TB stored seems like it should be more than enough even for ZFS.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Master Stur posted:

RAM doesn't really help with writes. VMware on NFS does synch writes, so until the OS tells VMware that is has completed the write, VMware is going to wait. Get an SSD (or two) for ZIL.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Master Stur posted:

Can I get some tips on how to not suck at ZFS and/or Nexentastor? I'm trying to run a simple 2TB drive with deduplication on for NFS to use with some esxi backups and the write performance is absolutely dreadful without going nuts on hardware?

ZFS dedup is loving horrible. After various ex-Sun staff quit and joined Illumos, Joyent et all, they've admitted to this. It had a pretty huge memory footprint and isn't too light on the metadata either. Try to make do with snapshots instead.

If you still insist on using it, change the checksum algorithm to a faster one. Chances for collisions become higher tho, resulting in data errors.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

adorai posted:

RAM doesn't really help with writes. VMware on NFS does synch writes, so until the OS tells VMware that is has completed the write, VMware is going to wait. Get an SSD (or two) for ZIL.

I thought you could turn that off though by disabling sync on the volume? The various Nexenta forum threads I read had some conflicting information but it does seem like the ram utilization is a giant clusterfuck if you don't have a log and cache drive. Using snapshots might work, but this setup was going to be more of a backup to the primary storage and on opendedup we were getting around a 90% dedup rate.

I guess this means I shouldn't waste my time on FreeNAS for deduplication then? There's a few little things about opendedup that make me shy away from it (i.e. a complete idiot needs to be able to use it, not just me) but is there any other free or relatively cheap alternative to get good dedup performance?

Zankul
Nov 30, 2012
I'm building my first home file server and are going to use 4 WD Red 3 TB disks in raid 5.
Also going with Asus P8Z77-M motherboard with an i3 and 8 GB ram.

I want to run this under Windows, so should I use the motherboard raid, Windows raid (either Win7 or Server 2012), get a hardware raid controller or just something else?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

With 9TB of usable diskspace, I'd suggest a hardware RAID with battery backup. The last thing you want to deal with is the array rebuilding after a stupid power outage. This'll be dragging your performance down for almost forever.

Windows' software-RAID does the same poo poo. At some point I got tired of the disks going on a semi-eternal grind every time the power grid gets a poo poo fit.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

DrDork posted:

Unless you're trying to transfer the file to the USB stick itself for some reason (you shouldn't be), if you have FreeNAS set up correctly it shouldn't really be doing much with the USB stick once it finishes loading. It's much more likely that you have some wonky setting, or that your network isn't playing nice with the Realtek NIC. Dropping a SSD into it isn't a bad plan if your complaint is response times and multi-user performance, but it's unlikely to fix file transfer issues.
Okay, good to know. It's probably the NIC then, because I get errors transfering files over like 4-5gb all of the time-- where the file transfer will hang and then just freeze. I can transfer like 100gb or more of files smaller than 1-2gb all in one batch, but it hangs on transferring almost anything larger than 4gb.

Is there any way I can test to try to really single it down to the NIC? Or should I just buy a new NIC regardless since I've heard from multiple sources over the years that the on board NIC is terrible?

DrDork posted:

As for software RAID on Windows it's...software RAID on Windows. Performance isn't amazing, but it's not terrible, and you're limited to the normal RAID levels unless you want to look into something funky like Storage Spaces. So the closest thing you get to ZFS is RAID 5, which has a few downsides compared to ZFS. Of course it's a lot easier to get video out to your TV under Windows, but something like the WD TV Live! is cheap and very effective at its job, and will happily pull videos from a N40L with FreeNAS/NAS4Free.
Yeah, I heard that Windows is kind of lame for software raids still. I guess if I can get FreeNAS to boot faster with a SSD and fix the file transfer issues I'll be golden and continue just to use a smaller dedicate laptop/hdtv box for outputting to tv. That would probably cause less hassles than trying to tax my NAS with streaming media to video.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Master Stur posted:

I thought you could turn that off though by disabling sync on the volume?
You can, if you don't care about data integrity. Those writes are synchronous for a reason.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

adorai posted:

You can, if you don't care about data integrity. Those writes are synchronous for a reason.

I turned it off to test performance under different scenarios, suffice to say it ultimately didn't matter.

To clarify, I would be using synchronous writes in the end, but I turned them off as well as messed with other settings to see if I could get NexentaStor dedup performance anywhere close to acceptable without throwing SSDs at it. I had figured 32gb of ram would be enough, but nope. I blew that away and tried FreeNAS 8.3's implementation of zfs and it ran faster and more consistently, but still not up there with opendedup. Unfortunately iSCSI didn't really improve much over NFS so we went ahead and ordered a cheap SSD for testing purposes.

Master Stur fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 7, 2013

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Combat Pretzel posted:

With 9TB of usable diskspace, I'd suggest a hardware RAID with battery backup. The last thing you want to deal with is the array rebuilding after a stupid power outage. This'll be dragging your performance down for almost forever.

Windows' software-RAID does the same poo poo. At some point I got tired of the disks going on a semi-eternal grind every time the power grid gets a poo poo fit.

Ignoring the 3rd world power grid you appear to be dealing with, wouldn't one be able to buy like 3 quality UPS units for the price of a hardware RAID card with battery backup?

Just plug in the cable and set the OS to shutdown once the battery hits whatever threshold and you shouldn't really have to worry about this particular issue again...

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, BBU hardware RAID is mostly to deal with the possibility that your UPS doesn't kick in or burns through the available power and your system resets / shuts down abruptly, not as the primary protection against the RAID write hole.

Zankul
Nov 30, 2012

Fancy_Lad posted:

Ignoring the 3rd world power grid you appear to be dealing with, wouldn't one be able to buy like 3 quality UPS units for the price of a hardware RAID card with battery backup?

Just plug in the cable and set the OS to shutdown once the battery hits whatever threshold and you shouldn't really have to worry about this particular issue again...

Yes, looking at prices I could get another disk or two + an UPS for the price of a decent raid card with battery support.

This brings me back to my first question, what is the recommended software raid option under windows? (From what I see around I should stay away from Intels motherboard raid).

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

Zankul posted:

what is the recommended software raid option under windows? (From what I see around I should stay away from Intels motherboard raid).

Flexraid is what I used for Windows based software Raid. Worked really good for me.

http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/compare.html breaks down a bunch of other's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

kill your idols posted:

Flexraid is what I used for Windows based software Raid. Worked really good for me.

http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/compare.html breaks down a bunch of other's.

I currently use FlexRaid on Windows as well, great feature set, no complaints other than it costs money.