Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, a double strength heavy attack (Vile Assault on a downed enemy) will deal more than a normal strength severe hit, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

MrAristocrates posted:

Hey, a double strength heavy attack (Vile Assault on a downed enemy) will deal more than a normal strength severe hit, right?

That depends on the severe attack. The actual attack power for each "rank" of damage varies wildly, so a double strength strong heavy attack would deal more damage than a single weak severe attack, but a 2x damage weaker heavy might lose out to the best severe attacks.

Vile Assault is 700 power (plus your Persona's Strength I assume) with 2x on downed, which means it'll beat Brave Blade (1400) and possibly God's Hand (1600) (depending on strength and how damage is calculated), but probably not Primal Force or Pralaya (both 2200).

I'm not sure how the exact damage calculation works, so I might be wrong.

All the skills with their power and attributes are listed here: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Persona_4_Skills

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 5, 2013

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
According to this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/64587

To get Masakodo (Tower, Lvl 69) I would need to combine Cybele (Lovers, 64) + Daisoujou (Hierophant, 60) + Belail (Devil, 68). However I can't triple fuse them at all. Do the persona have to be the exact level? :ohdear: I just want to get Yoshitune

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thanks to whoever reccomended that Canadian site to me. I got home and found it waiting for me last night with the skin I ordered too. I've bearly started playing though, I really forgot how long it takes for P4 to get going, compared to P3.

It's nice ot actually own a Vita game for my Vita too, haha.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tamagod Sushi posted:

According to this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/64587

To get Masakodo (Tower, Lvl 69) I would need to combine Cybele (Lovers, 64) + Daisoujou (Hierophant, 60) + Belail (Devil, 68). However I can't triple fuse them at all. Do the persona have to be the exact level? :ohdear: I just want to get Yoshitune

I'm pretty sure levels do matter in Triple Fusion just because if you change the level order it changes the Arcana given, So if Daisoujou is the highest you should get a totally different result.

I'm thankful they put in that Search function for fusing because gently caress

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm pretty sure levels do matter in Triple Fusion just because if you change the level order it changes the Arcana given, So if Daisoujou is the highest you should get a totally different result.

I'm thankful they put in that Search function for fusing because gently caress

99% of my fusions were done using the search function and just grabbing whatever I didn't already have. I finished my first run with about 85% completion. When I played P3P it was somewhere around 50%. I think I only looked up a guide once or twice while I was trying to brute force my way through Margaret's S-link.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Novolin posted:

99% of my fusions were done using the search function and just grabbing whatever I didn't already have. I finished my first run with about 85% completion. When I played P3P it was somewhere around 50%. I think I only looked up a guide once or twice while I was trying to brute force my way through Margaret's S-link.

Yeah, same here. A lot of the time I'd look through the list and just fill out spaces I was missing using personas I was getting from Shuffle Time. I ended the game close to 90% completion, I've never gotten anywhere close to that on a Persona game before.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AG3 posted:

That depends on the severe attack. The actual attack power for each "rank" of damage varies wildly, so a double strength strong heavy attack would deal more damage than a single weak severe attack, but a 2x damage weaker heavy might lose out to the best severe attacks.

Vile Assault is 700 power (plus your Persona's Strength I assume) with 2x on downed, which means it'll beat Brave Blade (1400) and possibly God's Hand (1600) (depending on strength and how damage is calculated), but probably not Primal Force or Pralaya (both 2200).

I'm not sure how the exact damage calculation works, so I might be wrong.

All the skills with their power and attributes are listed here: http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Persona_4_Skills

I was basically just asking if I should keep Vile Assault on Kanji after he learns Primal Force. Sounds like yes. Thanks!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Personally I'm not sure Kanji's skillset really has the room:

Maziodyne
Elec Amp
Primal Force
Power Charge
Matarukaja
Regenerate 3
The Man's Way
Evade Wind

Maybe Regenerate 3? Its effectiveness becomes less important later in the game (I even kept Elec Boost over it in one run as a test). Technically I'm not the biggest fan of TMW but it feels weird not having the character's tier 3 skill somewhere.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

Personally I'm not sure Kanji's skillset really has the room:

Maziodyne
Elec Amp
Primal Force
Power Charge
Matarukaja
Regenerate 3
The Man's Way
Evade Wind

Maybe Regenerate 3? Its effectiveness becomes less important later in the game (I even kept Elec Boost over it in one run as a test). Technically I'm not the biggest fan of TMW but it feels weird not having the character's tier 3 skill somewhere.

Yeah, I'd probably get rid of it by the bonus dungeon. TMW is decently useful there at least. I think I actually got rid of Matarukaja not because it's a bad skill but because Kanji was too useful to waste a turn I could be dealing damage on for it. I let the protagonist or Teddie take care of that. I also kept Ziodyne, but there's really no reason to waste a slot on it for the latter two dungeons is there? I'll probably get rid of it for this run.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Kanji's magical deficiencies are vastly overstated, but there's really no point to Ziodyne because if you care about single-enemy knockdowns you might as well just use an item and and late-game almost every regular battle should be a case of blasting everything with a boosted/amped Ma-dyne spell. And of course you're not going to use it against bosses with Kanji.

If you have them in your party I can see Teddie or Naoto working well to compensate for the lack of Matarukaja, but I'd disagree on the MC. He's in the same boat as Kanji in that every turn that he is not Power Charging and Hassou Tobing (or using Debilitate) is a turn lost.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've never seen vile thrust come close to primal force's damage values in my game.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

According to this, possible recipes for Masakado include: Trumpeter x Jatayu x Cu Chulain and Ananta x Cu Chulain x Odin :eng101:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

According to this, possible recipes for Masakado include: Trumpeter x Jatayu x Cu Chulain and Ananta x Cu Chulain x Odin :eng101:

Fusion guides like this operate under the assumption that your personas are at or close to their base levels, since the highest level persona is the one to be used as the third part of the fusion, regardless of what you want.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Masakado is of the Tower Arcana right? Just triple fuse the three Tower Personae below it in the Compendium. Easy mode (if a bit more expensive) fusing. :toot:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shiiit I wish I had known that you can't get Hunger if you skip the midnight visit. Now I've kicked too many asses to just reload. Oh well.

I really love winter in this game. Pretty much everything in it is adorable.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My main interactions with this game before Golden were the anime and the giantbomb endurance run, but neither of those really gave much time to Kanji and after (pretty much) finishing Golden he's my favorite character. He's so great and Troy Baker is just perfect. :allears:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I just started November and I have like 50 hours into the game.

Am I just profoundly slow, or does a first playthrough normally take a long time?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Am I just profoundly slow, or does a first playthrough normally take a long time?

Nope, your first run is bound to be between 80 and 100 hours.

FEdit: I played the game before (and skipped virtually none of the story content because it's great), and my run was about 77 hours.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have a friend who somehow managed to beat the whole drat thing in about 40 hours, which confused the hell out of me.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Just wrapped this up, about 80 hours. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
So, how badly is having five girlfriends going to bite me in the rear end?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The Giant Bomb Endurance run ended at 99 hours 59 minutes. It was magical.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Ageofbob posted:

So, how badly is having five girlfriends going to bite me in the rear end?

You only feel bad for one day, and it's only the main girls who'll actually call you out/get sad on Valentine's Day (I still felt horrible thanks to Yukiko and Naoto getting real specific about me obviously dating other girls; Chie wasn't nearly as bad in comparison and I haven't yet gone back through one of my saves to see what Rise says when you decline her). You don't have to go tell Yumi/Ai to their faces that you aren't spending the day with them, at least, and Marie just doesn't give a poo poo about your other girlfriends!

I did also get a kick out of the New Years event, when I drew a fortune with Rise while thinking 'impure thoughts', and the romance portion said something about how you're a bad person for cheating, and she tried to laugh it off all, "What a weird fortune! It presupposes that you've been cheating and you'd never do that. . ."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

I really love winter in this game. Pretty much everything in it is adorable.
I like the winter costumes the most. Kanji's purple sweater is the best and I adore Chie's jacket.

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011
Well poo poo, that's not so bad! It's just some gentle chiding and crippling emotional/mental attacks!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I like the winter costumes the most. Kanji's purple sweater is the best and I adore Chie's jacket.

Yeah, I'm glad those are costumes too, cause I put Kanji in his cute purple sweater for the rest of the game.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
This game is the loving poo poo. I knew it was going to be good, but god drat every little change they made is one that I would have made, at least so far. Also, you get scooters, and basically if P4G was just Persona 4 - Scooter Edition I still would have bought it with a huge grin on my face. It's like Persona 4 minus the bullshit and plus, well, just more Persona 4 I guess. I've got like 8 games on my Vita from Playstation Plus, and yet this is the one i've sunk 20 hours into already. :allears:

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
I would play the AC: Liberation that came with my Vita, but that would mean taking out the P4G cart.

>Return to Inaba

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Dezinus posted:

I would play the AC: Liberation that came with my Vita, but that would mean taking out the P4G cart.

>Return to Inaba

I got the one that came with CoD (I wanted the memory card, okay? :mad:) so it isn't a difficult decision for me.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I got the one that came with CoD (I wanted the memory card, okay? :mad:) so it isn't a difficult decision for me.
My AC3 Vita bundle came with a memory card though. I guess they must have sold out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Well, Margaret was definitely the toughest boss in the game by far, i.e. I had to use some Chewing Souls and Yosuke withstood an attack at one point.

Other than that, psshh. 9999-damage Megidolaons? Charged Hassou Tobis? Get that weak mess out of Rise and Naoto's house.

What does the Spiral Bookmark do for me?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Really Pants posted:

What does the Spiral Bookmark do for me?

Bragging rights.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Let's go to the sea!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQaS3ShcZFc
Love this goddamn song.

P4 Golden is pretty much my favourite tv show: the game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Well poo poo. I just started NG+ and was going for platinum. I thought it was odd when I got the opened the compendium and got the trophy there, since I have a screenshot where I got it the first time. Opening the trophies app it looks like I'm at 54%. Completing the meat bowl, the ones for maxing slinks and a bunch of others (I was missing <5) are gone. I still have my save with those things unlocked but the game doesn't register that it's happened.

It there a trick to forcing the vita to update it's trophy progress?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Something I just noticed about the epilogue: Naoto is wearing Kanji's bullet pendant :3:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Really Pants posted:

Something I just noticed about the epilogue: Naoto is wearing Kanji's bullet pendant :3:

That is amazing! (And it gives me a little hope.) I always thought her being so seemingly ignorant of his feelings was kind of cliche. This is why I could never cock block a bro.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

AlternateNu posted:

That is amazing! (And it gives me a little hope.) I always thought her being so seemingly ignorant of his feelings was kind of cliche. This is why I could never cock block a bro.

Well I mean, in both the anime and at least what I've played of her path in P4 Arena, Naoto still seems to either not notice or not care about his crush on her (and also still has "blush because Narukami looked at me!" moments in both).

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I thought there was a thing where if you'd maxed their social links and encountered them in a dungeon when they weren't in your party, they explained that Naoto had no interest in Kanji, and Kanji had gotten over his issues with her, or did I imagine that? Or read about in the old PS2 PS4 thread, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kanji gets Naoto, MC gets Rise, Chie gets Yukiko, and Teddie gets Yosuke. Everyone wins!

• Locked thread