Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Everyday Lurker posted:

Reminds me of a 68 or 69 F100 that had the gas tank situated right behind the bench seat. With the gasket around the fuel filler neck flaking off, you could see how the neck ran into the cab and straight into the tank.

I always wondered, "Who the hell thought this was a good idea?"

More people have died in fires cause by being rear-ended in the 64 thru 70 Mustang than the Pinto.
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500164_162-47539.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Method Loser posted:

You must have missed the wiki article, you see that gauge right there? Yeah, apparently the gas tank is right behind it. In the dashboard.

You'd probably have a slightly higher chance of survival with the gas tank in front of you rather than sitting over it TBH. Best case scenario is you're equally hosed either way and its something of a miracle that anyone survived before the mid-70s.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one remember the whole debacle surrounding the 73-87(ish?) Chevrolet trucks with the side fuel tanks? I remember the farm truck got the letter. It was promptly discarded.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Geoj posted:

Considering most cars from the 60s and prior had the entire gas tank in the cabin (often under or behind the seats) I don't see how this really makes it any worse.

:smug: Cadillac superiority wins here...my '65 has the tank under the trunk. Might as well, since the trunk is the size of a Smart Car.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Fucknag posted:

Literally anything pre-Ralph Nader, and quite a bit after. I know some of the Chevy/GMC pickups had them well into the 70s.

Up until just a few years ago Defenders kept the tank under the passenger seat (driver's seat for the Brits). I'd thought about retrofitting one there to supplement the rear tank on my NAS before I sold it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ferremit posted:

Not sure I'd refer to a mix of 240v and either 11KV or 33KV as "Medium voltage"...

Typically, 33kV is still considered medium voltage in transmission terms.

240V obviously is not.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Godholio posted:

What the gently caress cars are these?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Everyday Lurker posted:

Reminds me of a 68 or 69 F100 that had the gas tank situated right behind the bench seat. With the gasket around the fuel filler neck flaking off, you could see how the neck ran into the cab and straight into the tank.

I always wondered, "Who the hell thought this was a good idea?"

So did GM, because that's the exact setup that is in the '67-'72 GM pickup (and probably the '60-'66 and earlier, too).

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any one remember the whole debacle surrounding the 73-87(ish?) Chevrolet trucks with the side fuel tanks? I remember the farm truck got the letter. It was promptly discarded.

That was the one where Dateline rigged a truck to blow for their coverage. Let's be honest - in a truck of that vintage or older, the kind of crash that could cause a significant fuel leak in the cab is the kind of crash that's quite likely to kill you as well.

I have thought about moving my tank to an in-bed or under-bed setup, but I'd have to patch the hole in the cab somehow, and if I do an under-bed then I need to add a filler as well. I know my insurance says I can't haul anything with it, but I can't quite bring myself to slap a fuel cell smack in the middle of the bed.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Model A, right?

Guy at Cars and Coffee this past weekend had a fully restored one. Down to the leather fan belt and hoses. It was a thing of beauty.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Doesn't the Honda Fit have its tank under the floor beneath the front seats?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Yes, you sit on the tank. Which in this case is probably the safest spot. The trunk is a crumple zone. So the tank is placed in the safest spot in terms of getting crunched which is the driver zone.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have thought about moving my tank to an in-bed or under-bed setup, but I'd have to patch the hole in the cab somehow, and if I do an under-bed then I need to add a filler as well. I know my insurance says I can't haul anything with it, but I can't quite bring myself to slap a fuel cell smack in the middle of the bed.

run the filler down through the floor in the cab and back to an under-bed tank?

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Goober Peas posted:

Yes, because Honda turned every other possible location into cargo space. Under the trunk? Cargo space. Under the back seats? Well, they fold down into the rear footwells for more cargo space. A modern car is designed to basically self-destruct around the front seats, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

run the filler down through the floor in the cab and back to an under-bed tank?

Then I'd be cutting a giant hole in my cab floor, and the lowest part of the filler would likely be lower than the entire tank.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

That was the one where Dateline rigged a truck to blow for their coverage. Let's be honest - in a truck of that vintage or older, the kind of crash that could cause a significant fuel leak in the cab is the kind of crash that's quite likely to kill you as well.

With as much rust as it had, a pissed off bull could take out the whole side of the bed. I am kinda curious how I didn't die in that thing on a regular basis.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Goober Peas posted:

Yep, if I have the stereo turned off in my car I can hear fuel sloshing around. There's a tonne of room in the back seats because of it and really if an impact is severe enough to rupture the tank you're already dead.

Not quite as confident about fire though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Then I'd be cutting a giant hole in my cab floor, and the lowest part of the filler would likely be lower than the entire tank.

True, I keep forgetting that the frame/bed is usually slightly above the level of the cab floor. I don't think it'd need to be a giant hole (just about 1.5-2" diameter so a steel filler neck type tube could fit through) but it clearly isn't a good idea anyways.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Kill-9 posted:

Model A, right?

Guy at Cars and Coffee this past weekend had a fully restored one. Down to the leather fan belt and hoses. It was a thing of beauty.

Yep. The entire dashboard is the fuel tank. Filler is on top of the cowl, right in front of the windshield. Fuel level is some kind of rotary float gauge.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Yep, if I have the stereo turned off in my car I can hear fuel sloshing around. There's a tonne of room in the back seats because of it and really if an impact is severe enough to rupture the tank you're already dead.

Not quite as confident about fire though.

Toyota yaris/vitz had a safety recall out for the seatbelt pretensioner setting fire to the sound deadening foam at the bottom of the B pillar in a crash. The fix was to just take the foam out and throw it away.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Slavvy posted:

Toyota yaris/vitz had a safety recall out for the seatbelt pretensioner setting fire to the sound deadening foam at the bottom of the B pillar in a crash. The fix was to just take the foam out and throw it away.

The last-before-final generation Saab 95 had plastic covers on the A pillars that could hurt in the event of an accident. They replaced them with headliner material covered pillars. :effort:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Goober Peas posted:

I would also point out that "under the seats but on the outside of the car" is a factor of magnitude better than "under/behind the seats but inside the cabin." Some of these classic cars are literally a case of "pull seats forward, see gas tank."

Also modern tanks have the advantage of internal baffles that make tank fires nearly impossible.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
My Corolla has the gas tank in the trunk, but it has the following safety features:

A cardboard sight shield from the trunk side so you don't think about a gas tank in your trunk. Also doubles as an additional crumple zone before tank impact.
Rear seats that don't fold down. In case of fire they act as a 'fire wall' which may or may not be highly flammable in and of itself.
A measly 10 gallon fuel tank. This is to keep the fireball size to a minimum.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
A horrible mechanical failure waiting to happen;
http://imgur.com/a/lgdfm

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kotaru posted:

That is aggressively bad welding...I am in awe at the lack of intelligence to look at this and say "Heh, a little grinding and it'll be perfect..."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, what was the issue, here? Improper welder settings? Too small of a welder? Not using gas? lovely flux wire?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Some people just... :cripes:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 6, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Root Bear posted:

Some people just... :cripes:

I cant tell if that's a failed weld, JB Weld, or dental amalgam.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Geirskogul posted:

So, what was the issue, here? Improper welder settings? Too small of a welder? Not using gas? lovely flux wire?

Poor fit up, improper technique, not enough shielding gas.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

MrYenko posted:

I cant tell if that's a failed weld, JB Weld, or dental amalgam.

Gravel.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

The worst part is the fact that none of the joints were properly fitted. The fact that the guy was able to cover distances as far as an inch with nothing but welding material in some places tells me that he is a welding savant who doesn't understand that not all metal is created equal.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kotaru posted:

That's what I expect my first welding attempt to look like.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I could teach your average state senator to weld better than that in under an hour. God drat.

I was going to make a comparison to chimpanzees but that would insult the chimps.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhere in Florida, ultimateforce is weeping.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

thelightguy posted:

Battery offgassing hydrogen + spark. Believe it or not, it's not really common knowledge that you should clip the negative clamp to something metal that isn't the battery.

No one quite seems to understand this. The idea is to connect the very last ground cable away from the battery (Both grounds dont have to be away from battery) because no circuit is complete until then, and no spark is possible until then as there is no current drawn till this point. Even after that, it is still a 1 in a million shot that you are going to ignite gas from the battery. This was just jumped incorrectly, period, or another issue went down. Especially considering both cars are burned, and all the length of the cable.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Somewhere in Florida, ultimateforce is weeping.

To be fair, though, everyone who's somewhere in Florida is weeping. All the time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:stare::stare:

56k on a 6.4L Powerstroke with no oil change.

DEAR GOD :stare:

Eventually lost oil pressure, overheated, and ventilated the block.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

11BulletCatcher posted:

This picture here is exactly the same dashboard I have, only in the color that I plan on painting my someday.

I think my car has the same dash. Trying to work on a way to make the gauges more effective without looking new age/tacky as gently caress. Getting there.

Edit, I actually have my cluster out of my car (Still daily driven), so i went and looked at it, and the warning lights are laid out a little differently, what is this out of?

Budget Monty fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 6, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

TotalLossBrain posted:

Typically, 33kV is still considered medium voltage in transmission terms.

240V obviously is not.

IEEE defines medium voltage as 601V to 69,000V. :science: And you don't see 240 (or 120) in transmission lines anyway; you usually don't see anything below 4160 (in the US) until you hit the final step-down transformer (and in residential, that can serve anywhere from one home to several houses, or on an apartment property, usually a few buildings).

Kotaru posted:

I've never welded, but even I know you're not supposed to have swiss cheese "welds". That looks more like babby's first time with a soldering iron than welding :stonk:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 6, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Budget Monty posted:

I think my car has the same dash. Trying to work on a way to make the gauges more effective without looking new age/tacky as gently caress. Getting there.

Edit, I actually have my cluster out of my car (Still daily driven), so i went and looked at it, and the warning lights are laid out a little differently, what is this out of?

The worst part of looking for a radio for my 87 BMW 3 series was trying to find a radio that wouldn't look out of place with all the goodies like bluetooth. GOOD loving LUCK :argh:

Also I love those kid of old speedos. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Honestly Im quite impressed he went to the effort of notching the tubes before welding, rather than just pounding the ends flat with a hammer.

some texas redneck posted:

IEEE defines medium voltage as 601V to 69,000V. :science: And you don't see 240 (or 120) in transmission lines anyway; you usually don't see anything below 4160 (in the US) until you hit the final step-down transformer (and in residential, that can serve anywhere from one home to several houses, or on an apartment property, usually a few buildings).

Aus has HUGE distances of 240v transmission lines- pretty much entire suburbs are run with 240v

Top trio of wire is the 11KV/33KV lines, Bottom lines are the 240v lines- 3 phases for 415v and the neutral. The poles a stobie pole, which we use in South Aus because trees dont grow that big in our climate.

They are SPECTACULAR at loving cars.