Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also, there's mod that removes the most irritating part of the Tower. You'll realize which one is it once you do the quest. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Prototype 2
- Much like the first game, being mobile is key.
- Any difficult fight becomes a joke if you leap into the air then do a charged attack repeatedly. Tendrils is good for this until you get Hammerfist.
- Other than the first one, BlackNet missions are optional so don't feel compelled to do them other than for upgrades.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire? With all the buildings, upgrades, ship types, resources, and research options (so many research options) it seems like way too much to be going on at once for an RTS, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Edward Malus
Jan 13, 2012

HOW'D IT GET BURNED?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Sins of a Solar Empire? With all the buildings, upgrades, ship types, resources, and research options (so many research options) it seems like way too much to be going on at once for an RTS, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

There is a fair bit to keep track of, but the game moves so slowly that even in a one-on-one on the smallest map you're not really pressed for time. My only bit of advice would be to turn pirate raids off, especially in matches with lots of players (4+); as far as I can tell all the bounty money that gets thrown around goes directly towards strengthening their fleets and home base defences, which can get more than a little insane towards the endgame.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
Anything for Sine Mora or Anarchy Reigns?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

paco650 posted:

DA2 is a middlin'-to-high quality mindless action RPG with better than average character arcs for its genre. The connections to DA:O are tenuous; they change a few lines dialogue and probably a cameo or two.

If you compare it to stuff like Two Worlds, Divinity 2 or Circle of Doom, you will be pleasantly surprised. If you go into it looking for The One True Sequel to the first game, you will probably come away disappointed.

EDIT: Also, yes, the Ultimate Edition is worth it! Maybe consider skipping Witch Hunt though.

This is well put. For all the hate it gets (and I never even finished the demo, after loving the poo poo out of DA:O) a lot of people really enjoyed DA2. Be aware it's got lots of repeated environments, and the fights all have waves of respawning enemies, and you'll be over the two main gripes before you start.

(Origins is way better though)

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I'm about to start Hardmode in Terraria but I don't want to spoil myself too much on what to expect. I know that I need to go dig out a huge trench around my town so that it doesn't get infected with corruption, and that I should use Wood to do it because Stone won't stop anything. (I'm RIGHT next to corruption in my worldspawn so that sucks)

Would I be better off finding a floating island and attempting to just build a sky tower instead of a land tower?

Also is there anything huge/major/important I should be aware of and take care of right now that won't be around once Hardmode hits?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I'm about to start Hardmode in Terraria but I don't want to spoil myself too much on what to expect. I know that I need to go dig out a huge trench around my town so that it doesn't get infected with corruption, and that I should use Wood to do it because Stone won't stop anything. (I'm RIGHT next to corruption in my worldspawn so that sucks)

Would I be better off finding a floating island and attempting to just build a sky tower instead of a land tower?

Also is there anything huge/major/important I should be aware of and take care of right now that won't be around once Hardmode hits?

The trick there is that the Corruption (and the Hallow, its Hardmode-exclusive counterpart) will spread to any block that it can infect that is three spaces away or less, so this means grass and stone for the most part. So if you wanted to be absolutely sure, dig a five-block wide gap between you and the Corruption and line it with wood on both edges. If you're bored you might as well dig a wood-lined tunnel under your base so that things don't spread up from the bottom. Also watch out because in Hardmode, there's a special Eater of Souls that can spread corruption.

As for Hardmode in general, killing enemies in Underground Corruption/Hallow areas yield Souls of Night/Light, which are used in a lot of Hardmode recipes. Also, if you see a clown enemy during a Blood Moon lead it the hell away from your base because it can throw bombs that break structures.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Build your house floating above ground(not on floating island, mind you, just at your jump height, 6 blocks or whatever it was), or dig up ground around it for same effect. Place a door so there's no space to stand in front of it - then you can open it and jump in while monsters can't break in.
Also create outer shell from obsidian or dungeon brick(or whatever other bomb and corruption resistant stuff) around your house with 3 blocks of space between your house outer wall and this shell - there are enemies in hard mode that spit corruption and a rare one that throws bombs and you don't want your house ruined.
When you beat boss that enables hardmode pick up the hammer it dropped and smash as many demon altars as you can find - this spawns one of 3 types of new ores somewhere in the world and allows for better equipment than in normal mode. Skip making cobalt armor and weapons(molten is better), only make the cobalt drill so you can mine even better ores.

Deus Rex Machina
Aug 19, 2011

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea
Quick question about Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

I bought a used copy off of amazon and it looks like 4 (sets of?) characters are unlocked. Should I delete the save data or who should I play as for my first playthrough? I sort of doubt it'll keep my attention for more than two playthroughs, so if you think any character is especially neat let me know.

Thanks!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Deus Rex Machina posted:

Quick question about Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

I bought a used copy off of amazon and it looks like 4 (sets of?) characters are unlocked. Should I delete the save data or who should I play as for my first playthrough? I sort of doubt it'll keep my attention for more than two playthroughs, so if you think any character is especially neat let me know.

Thanks!

Definitely play as the default characters (Johnathan & Charlotte) your first time through, even if you don't delete the save. Sisters Mode is a prologue to the main story, Richter Mode starts you off with all mobility upgrades (and thus lets you accidentally sequence break the gently caress out of the game), and Axe Armour Mode makes a lot of the normal abilities/mechanics unavailable. They're all geared towards people who have already beaten the game.

If you're only going to play it twice it should be probably be JC + Sisters (so that you see the main story and the prologue), or JC + Richter or JC + JC New Game+ for general loving around in the main game.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Fable III:

I'm past the Point of No Return and trying to be super friendly happy King. I have enough funds on hand to make a huge investment in the real estate market but how does the uh.. Calendar system work? Can I literally just idle in town, and as long as I don't turn in the last quest on the days agenda the day wont tick over?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Vadun posted:

Fable III:

I'm past the Point of No Return and trying to be super friendly happy King. I have enough funds on hand to make a huge investment in the real estate market but how does the uh.. Calendar system work? Can I literally just idle in town, and as long as I don't turn in the last quest on the days agenda the day wont tick over?

If you're on the 360 you can change your system clock to get a million dollars from real estate. I don't know if it'll work on PC but I think you could just idle in town.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Vadun posted:

Fable III:

I just left my 360 on for 3 days and forgot I was playing Fable 3 until I turn the TV back on. Voila, millions of dollars. The calendar stops at some amount of days.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman

Just picked this game up and saw that there wasn't an entry for it on the website. Any advice? Also, does anyone have a link to the SA Thread for it? I saw it in the past, but no amount of googling is turning it up for me.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

kthegreat posted:

Just picked this game up and saw that there wasn't an entry for it on the website. Any advice? Also, does anyone have a link to the SA Thread for it? I saw it in the past, but no amount of googling is turning it up for me.

I've never played it and can't offer advice, but I dug up the link to the thread for you: Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman [Dungeon Crawler meets Disgaea]

(I used DasSaas, which lead to a PSP General Discussion page that had the link.)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Ainsley McTree posted:

Edward Malus posted:

There is a fair bit to keep track of, but the game moves so slowly that even in a one-on-one on the smallest map you're not really pressed for time. My only bit of advice would be to turn pirate raids off, especially in matches with lots of players (4+); as far as I can tell all the bounty money that gets thrown around goes directly towards strengthening their fleets and home base defences, which can get more than a little insane towards the endgame.

To add to it, the research stuff is the hardest to get your head around in that game, but when you're just starting out you can ignore like a whole tree/tab in the diplomacy stuff and just play it like a normal RTS of the form: collect resources -> build units -> kill enemies. You'll eventually get your head around "oh thats my ship unlocking tree, that's my ship upgrade tree, that's my resource upgrades/ planet upgrades." I'd just stick with one side to start, and then go onto others, as they all pretty much share most of the same kinds of upgrades but get mixed around a bit between them.

When it comes to all the ship types, like many RTSs where there's rock/paper/scissor like combat bonuses, you'll want a variety. Since you get a starting capital ship a good suggestion is to go with one that can learn a colonization ability (every side has one) to help you conquer planets from the get go. Sins is more complicated than the Starcraft standard RTS, but you can play it like one to start with until you get your head around the research trees and mechanics.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PlushCow posted:

To add to it, the research stuff is the hardest to get your head around in that game, but when you're just starting out you can ignore like a whole tree/tab in the diplomacy stuff and just play it like a normal RTS of the form: collect resources -> build units -> kill enemies. You'll eventually get your head around "oh thats my ship unlocking tree, that's my ship upgrade tree, that's my resource upgrades/ planet upgrades." I'd just stick with one side to start, and then go onto others, as they all pretty much share most of the same kinds of upgrades but get mixed around a bit between them.

When it comes to all the ship types, like many RTSs where there's rock/paper/scissor like combat bonuses, you'll want a variety. Since you get a starting capital ship a good suggestion is to go with one that can learn a colonization ability (every side has one) to help you conquer planets from the get go. Sins is more complicated than the Starcraft standard RTS, but you can play it like one to start with until you get your head around the research trees and mechanics.

Sounds like I just need to tool around with it a little bit then and it'll come together. Thanks for the tips, they were helpful!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Less of a What Should I Know and more of a What Am I Supposed To Know:

I'm playing Force Unleashed for the first time. Is dying constantly a normal thing on normal difficulty? Is there any way to tell the game that I want to always be facing Enemy X? Is there a way to consistently throw an object at an enemy, outside of random luck if it will go a direction or not?

Time to try again against an AT-ST and two turrets, and no regenerating health...

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Less of a What Should I Know and more of a What Am I Supposed To Know:

I'm playing Force Unleashed for the first time. Is dying constantly a normal thing on normal difficulty? Is there any way to tell the game that I want to always be facing Enemy X? Is there a way to consistently throw an object at an enemy, outside of random luck if it will go a direction or not?

Time to try again against an AT-ST and two turrets, and no regenerating health...

It has been a while since I played TFU but it isn't normal to die all the time. I was (and am) bad at games like that and I didn't have too much difficulty, except against some bosses.
This is without every doing much combo's.

Anyway advice:

- Keep moving, never stand still. All skills that help this are good.
- Force lightning stuns enemies (also AT-ST's if I remember correctly) so use that often
- I personally never bothered with throwing stuff or doing anything complicated
- Don't neglect lightsaber damage skills

For more advice try this website:
http://www.ign.com/wikis/star-wars-the-force-unleashed/Game_Basics

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
So, turns out in hard mode in Terraria the two new biomes form in a V formation starting in the center of the world. They replace the tileset of whatever is there.

Guess who built his house right where the new one spawns :argh:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't usually play racing games and I'm turning out to be pretty godawful at Forza Horizon. Any tips would be appreciated, but I'm mainly looking for driving tips - particularly, how the gently caress do I take turns at high speed?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I don't usually play racing games and I'm turning out to be pretty godawful at Forza Horizon. Any tips would be appreciated, but I'm mainly looking for driving tips - particularly, how the gently caress do I take turns at high speed?

Assuming Forza Horizon follows the same driving rules as the other Forza games (That is, they're simulations), you DON'T take corners at high speed. Games like Burnout/Need for Speed have drifting to keep the speed up, but games like Forza expect you to drive similarly to how you'd have to in real life. So, if there's a sharp corner coming up, slow down.

I think Forza Horizon has driving assist? Turn on the feature that shows you the racing line in green/yellow/red on the road. If it's red, it means you're going too fast to maintain that racing line.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Learning about racing lines or turning on the line will help a lot in and of itself, but yeah, you need to learn when and to what degree you should slow down. There's even a wikipedia article about racing lines that explains them.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Centipeed posted:

DON'T take corners at high speed

In addition:
-Braking and turning: Choose one. Your wheels are really good at both, but not at the same time.
-Accelerating (gently) on the way out of a turn however, is a good idea.
-AWD cars will be easier for a beginner. You won't spin out, however you will take lots of turns too widely. This is good, it will teach you how to keep a proper line. Once you can take an AWD drive car around a track without getting the tires muddy, it's time to hop in a RWD drive car and get sideways :getin:
-The first upgrades on any car should be tires and suspension.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I know this is super niche but any tips for Marauder/Man Of Prey?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Brake before the turn, not during it.

"Brake in, gas out."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

kthegreat posted:

It's been a few years so I'm a little fuzzy, but know this: don't bother repairing your equipment, it's not worth the trouble this early on. You should be turning it into shadowgram chips, or eating it (if you can), or hurling it into the enemy's face. You will find better stuff.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Any tips for Crawmerax in Borderlands with 2 people? We can't even make a dent in his health and he one shots us both. We're level 68 and 69 Siren and Hunter respectively.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Geektox posted:

Any tips for Crawmerax in Borderlands with 2 people? We can't even make a dent in his health and he one shots us both. We're level 68 and 69 Siren and Hunter respectively.

When the elevator stops and you face Craw, call that north. Northwest down a ledge near where the edge of the area meets a cliff face; and northeast in a small pit near the other edge - both of these are very close to the out of bounds area, and Craw does not attack you there exactly. The maggots sort of leave you alone there too. That'll let you live long enough, hopefully, to at least figure out what exactly is going on without getting one shot instantly.

If you want a legit method, I got nothing. My cousin and I eventually figured out how to kill Craw semi-reliably using these two cheaty spots.

Oh, and you can try jumping repeatedly when the elevator nears the top of the force field thing. If you do it right you go rocketjumping high enough to look down and see the entire boss platform.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anything for Mount and Blade: Warband? I'm really bad at this game, apparently, because bandits keep wrecking my poo poo even though I have a bunch of dudes and a good horse and lance. So far the only way I've been able to at least hold my own is to spam the gently caress out of cavalry units.

Edward Malus
Jan 13, 2012

HOW'D IT GET BURNED?

Sociopastry posted:

Anything for Mount and Blade: Warband? I'm really bad at this game, apparently, because bandits keep wrecking my poo poo even though I have a bunch of dudes and a good horse and lance. So far the only way I've been able to at least hold my own is to spam the gently caress out of cavalry units.

Acquire Nord infantry in as large amounts as you can get them. Their final evolution, the Huscarl, is probably pound-for-pound the best unit in the game. They make sieges (both defending and attacking) so laughably easy that I've had to restrict my usage of them just to inject a bit of challenge.

As for bandits, just keep clear of the northern coastline until you're confident you've got a reasonable force. Sea Raiders are your worst enemy early on; stick to fighting nice nice soft forest bandits.

Edward Malus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 10, 2013

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DannyTanner posted:

Prototype 2
- Much like the first game, being mobile is key.
- Any difficult fight becomes a joke if you leap into the air then do a charged attack repeatedly. Tendrils is good for this until you get Hammerfist.
- Other than the first one, BlackNet missions are optional so don't feel compelled to do them other than for upgrades.

To expand on that first point: level the HELL out of your mobile abilities (like gliding, jumping, etc.) before you even touch anything else. It makes travelling around the city not only easier but adds a lot more fun to the game while giving you the upper hand in ambushes/fights.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Please put this in the Dragon's Dogma section, as it's definitely something I wish I'd known before I'd played.

There's a fat merchant that wanders around, and he'll eventually give you a quest to escort his stupid looking little daughter around town. This quest is as idiotic as it sounds, but apparently if you DON'T complete it "correctly" you screw yourself out of a unique item that you can only get once per playthrough. It's not necessary, but it'll make it easier, and it'll be something you don't have to wait until a NG+ for. Just use a guide- it's a seriously uninteresting quest and it's easy to screw up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything I should know about NeverWinter Nights 2?

The wiki just says "don't play rogue/archer".

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Xander77 posted:

The wiki is wrong anyways, play whatever you want. I played a Rogue and while my usefulness dwindled in the late stages of the main campaign, it went into overdrive when I got to MotB and was able to backstab the unbackstabbable.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Any tips for the PSX version of Harvest Moon: Back to Nature?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Xander77 posted:

- There are Evil options if you want to play that way, but the Good/neutral path has way more payoff with your companions.

- Choose whatever class looks best to you. Unless you really want an overpowered character, you don't need to look at any guides or anything -- the game isn't that hard. If you don't know what you're doing, it's generally best to pick a single class and stick with it. If you're into character building, do a google search for more info (or read the manual). Otherwise just dive in.

- Level up at least one communication skill (Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate) just to get a little more out of the game. Diplomacy is probably the most "useful" overall.

- Your reputation with your companions is important and will affect certain things in the game/story. Basically, they respond to your actions according to their personalities. If you have a good enough rep with them, you can unlock sidequests and stuff. Some of the companions are less fleshed-out than others (Casaveir, Grobnar), so don't be afraid to use them less if you think they are too boring.

- Act 1 can be generic and grindy at times, but the game picks up a bit after that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sociopastry posted:

Another big, key point against AI enemies is to never give them a predictable angle of fire, especially not for those motherfuckers with throwing spears/axes. Always try to be moving perpendicular to them when they're firing; they'll miss a hell of a lot of the time and they run out of ammo reasonably quick. If you're ever moving straight in when they decide to open fire you're pretty much hosed. Also, what the other chap said about Nord infantry. Little bastards are like cuisinarts.

On another level, Rhodok Crossbowmen are pretty great, too, if you can run interference for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Long Range Missile ships.(They'll be described as High Damage, Little Armour).

All races have the same general kinds of ships. And you can't really go wrong with lots and lots of your Long Range ships, with Capital Ships to serve as bombardment. Use your basic ships till then.