Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm expecting an Onion article for some reason. The reason is probably wishful thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

See, I'm going to come across as obtuse, but I don't believe there are street smarts and book smarts. There's just smart.

However, assuming I did believe that street smarts existed.

D'Angelo loudly confronted the senior leadership of his gang, infront of the police, about the whereabouts of Wallace, in such a way that it made crystal clear that it was foul play, and then continually stonewalled Avon. Self righteously shortening your own life is not smart by any definition.

Wallace snitched, then went into hiding, then came back like oh hey sup guys just gonna bend over and pick up this discman real quick. Plus, if he's street smart perhaps he could keep the count straight and recognize money.

Neither of these people are very smart.

Since I don't do street vs book smart I'll just state that in my mind, the smartest member of Barksdale's crew is Bodie. It's as much an ego thing as anything else, but when he cuts his price to compete with Cheese in the towers because all sales are profit, that's smart. But then he still ends up exhibiting a total lack of street smarts by shooting his mouth off about Marlo.

I dunno, I return to my original point - we sympathize with the characters and a situation from which they can't escape, but not a one of them is smart.

You can be as smart as you want and still get hosed because you are a human being trapped in an inhuman world. Wallace was killed for having a normal response to a horrible crime, so was D, except in D's case it was many, many horrible crimes. Both of those kids were smart and end up chewed up by the war on drugs.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

See, I'm . . . obtuse

The show wouldn't be realistic, entertaining or nearly as good if they had people who made perfect decisions ever time. Maybe your definition of smart is closer to "highly intelligent, not often fallible" or something but they were still capable people in their own right. As a result of their environment, they were all flawed.

In this light, Wallace should have left everything he had ever known for some goal he knew existed but no one showed him and he had no real concept of. Right. "This right here is me, yo"

D should give up years of conditioning on a whim almost instantly and block everyone he knows out.

Bodie should keep his opinions to himself and accept his role as a pawn even further when he knows its a bullshit place to be more than ever.

They don't have to be perfect to be smart. All of them showed they could have done better with their lives in they had grown up in an environment where academics, work, positive attitudes were encouraged instead of selling drugs.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
That actually seems to be the point the show was making, too.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
By the same token McNulty is not smart for continuously bashing his head against the system. Prop Joe is not smart for bringing Marlo under his wing. Stringers not smart for trying his hand at a game he didn't fully understand.

They did dumb things, but one can't reasonably say these were unintelligent people, the same goes for D, Wallace and Bodie.

Also one need not look much further than Namond for street vs book smarts.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

ChairMaster posted:

The point of the Bordello bust wasn't to stop human trafficking or even hinder it, it was just to gather information for the case they were working in the first place. Besides, nobody accomplished anything on the large scale in The Wire, people generally weren't even interested in that, aside from Lester Freamon and McNulty. Everyone knew they couldn't stop human trafficking any more than they could stop the gang wars or the war on drugs. The only person who ever really did anything towards making a difference was Bunny with Hamsterdam, and we all know how that turned out.

Nobody in Baltimore can do anything to change the way the war on drugs or rules about immigration work, they can just do what they can to keep themselves and their people sheltered and fed. Human trafficking is horrible, but so is the culture of murder and violence that Frank was supporting by importing drugs. It's just kinda the way the world works, you can support the lovely things that go on behind closed doors or you can go live in the woods a hundred miles away from civilization and be a hermit.

Yeah, but what the show reflects are the priorities. The bordello bust was, as you say, simply a piece of a larger puzzle and a joke that becomes a department legend. But when the FBI finds the coke in the paint cans, it's a huzzah moment. Both actions are equally futile, but one gets major press coverage as a 'win'.

As for Frank supporting the evils of the drug trade, I was referring to how he could rationalize it to himself. With the slave trade, there's no good rationalization for it- he just swallowed the evil and took the profits in the end.

That's the key distinction- it's one thing to rationalize away things that are happening at a safe remove, another to see them carting out the bodies in your own house the way Frank did.

The thing is that's what makes Frank such a great character, though. When push comes to shove, he makes an ugly, ugly decision. There's no story if he goes and talks to his brother until he has a moral revelation and decides the checkers should fly right until the port closes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Naylenas posted:

"gently caress those West Coast niggas. In B-More, we aim to hit a nigga, y'heard?"

Snoop was probably the only character who I needed subtitles to understand what the gently caress she was saying.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Alhazred posted:

Snoop was probably the only character who I needed subtitles to understand what the gently caress she was saying.

As far as I know she's the closest the show comes to depicting what real street lingo in B-more sounds like. I mean, they did basically pluck her right off the corners.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Alhazred posted:

My favorite is when she goes to the B and Q American equivalent to buy a nail gun. At first I was like is it a girl or boy, then I was like what is she saying, and finally I had to fast forward my DVD a scene to check I had put the right DVD in the player.

Is this start of season 4

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

ally_1986 posted:

My favorite is when she goes to the B and Q American equivalent to buy a nail gun. At first I was like is it a girl or boy, then I was like what is she saying, and finally I had to fast forward my DVD a scene to check I had put the right DVD in the player.

Is this start of season 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

"You earned that buck like a motherfucker, man. Keep that poo poo."

Best opening to a season I've ever seen, hands down. In any other show, we'd start with Chris and Snoop killing someone, but when it's a pretty long sequence of a minor character buying a nail gun? The threat is in the air, even if you can't guess why she's buying it. You could replace "Chekov's Gun" with "Snoop's Nailgun"...

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Spoilers Below posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

Best opening to a season I've ever seen, hands down. In any other show, we'd start with Chris and Snoop killing someone, but when it's a pretty long sequence of a minor character buying a nail gun? The threat is in the air, even if you can't guess why she's buying it. You could replace "Chekov's Gun" with "Snoop's Nailgun"...

Just noticed she left the old 300$ Dewalt behind on the counter.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Spoilers Below posted:

I thought she said "that bump" like a bump up in his pay.
Is it "buck" ? It's hard to tell.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Slo-Tek posted:

Just noticed she left the old 300$ Dewalt behind on the counter.

She also tipped the salesperson $800, more than what the nailgun actually cost. I'm doing my rewatch with a friend who hasn't seen the wire before and I can't wait till we get to this scene.

Also, This American Life recently had a show on "dopplegangers" where they psychologically compared a young man on the streets of Philadelphia with a young veteran from Afganhistan:

quote:

Act Two: In Country, In City

For decades, the writer Alex Kotlowitz has been writing about the inner cities and the toll of violence on young people. So when he heard about a program at Drexel University where guys from the inner city get counseling for PTSD, he wondered if the effect of urban violence was comparable to the trauma that a person experiences from war. Kotlowitz talks to a military vet from Afghanistan and a guy from Philadelphia who’s lived in some pretty bad neighborhoods to find out if they are doubles of some sort. Alex's is the author of the book There are No Children Here and producer of the documentary film The Interrupters. (23 minutes)

Special thanks to the program Healing Hurt People at Drexel University for assistance with this story.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/484/doppelgangers

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Fellis posted:

She also tipped the salesperson $800, more than what the nailgun actually cost. I'm doing my rewatch with a friend who hasn't seen the wire before and I can't wait till we get to this scene.

No, she gave him 800$ for a 680$ nailgun. 120$ tip for him to take care of the actual purchase. Still, not a bad days work. earned dat bump.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

End of Life Guy posted:

I thought she said "that bump" like a bump up in his pay.
Is it "buck" ? It's hard to tell.

It's buck.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I also thought it was bump, it made a lot of sense to me since she was giving him a bump in pay for the good job he did in selling her on the nail gun. Snoop appreciates a good work ethic!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Slo-Tek posted:

No, she gave him 800$ for a 680$ nailgun. 120$ tip for him to take care of the actual purchase. Still, not a bad days work. earned dat bump.

Yeah I just watched it again and I didn't hear her say "you take care of that" I guess it proves the point that she's hard to understand though :v:

I'm pretty sure she's saying buck as in ~$100, like how a dime bag was $10

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
She's gotta be saying bump, come on white people you're embarrassing yourselves.

I'm almost done with season 3 on my rewatch, and a testament to how good the show is - I still don't know how I feel about Hamsterdam. It's such an incredibly complex situation that I can't just assign it to categories Right or Wrong.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dunno if it's just cause I watched the whole show wearing headphones but I never had any trouble understanding Snoop, and I'm pretty drat white.

That whole scene is excellent though. "Yea, man. Man said if you wanna shoot nails this here's the Cadillac. He meant Lexus but he ain't know it."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ChairMaster posted:

I dunno if it's just cause I watched the whole show wearing headphones but I never had any trouble understanding Snoop, and I'm pretty drat white.

Seriously, the accents aren't that thick.

Anyway:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Subtitled by a white person. :colbert:

Google tells me that it's buck, too, to be honest. It's the old "throw it in quotes" test.

snoop "you earned that buck" - About 135,000 results (0.27 seconds)
snoop "you earned that bump" - 92 results (0.26 seconds)

That's admittable evidence, right there. I'm not too big to admit I was wrong about it being bump.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Half the replies in the youtube clip of that scene are arguing over whether it's bump or buck too. I had no idea this was a thing.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
I always thought she said buck but I just listened to it a couple times and it's most definitely bump.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I also distinctly recall that she said "man" during the line; "You earned that [____] like a motherfucker, man, keep that poo poo." I'm not arguing that this omission definitely proves that it's bump, but people make mistakes when transcribing audio all the time so I guess I actually am? Anyway it's bump and if it's going to go down in history as "buck" then let this post serve as a reminder that I was wrong on something about the American television show The Wire.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

watt par posted:

Seriously, the accents aren't that thick.

Anyway:

Not to say this is one of them (I always heard bump but buck makes sense), but there are a great deal of obvious errors in the subtitles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

She's gotta be saying bump, come on white people you're embarrassing yourselves.

I'm almost done with season 3 on my rewatch, and a testament to how good the show is - I still don't know how I feel about Hamsterdam. It's such an incredibly complex situation that I can't just assign it to categories Right or Wrong.

That's why I like it (and The Wire, obviously) because assigning right and wrong as labels is a simplistic solution to a complex problem. Hamsterdam is a HORRIBLE idea, a nightmare, an ugly and disgusting thing. But so is the alternative, and what Hamsterdam has going for it is that it takes all that ugliness and horror and it puts it all together in one place, giving you a concentrated look at exactly what was going on (and is STILL going on) in the world. Shutting down Hamsterdam and bulldozing the buildings is a bandaid/placebo to make people feel better about their "outrage", like something has been done. But the problem is still there, it's just spread out thinner.

The status quo and Hamsterdam are opposite ends of the spectrum but share the same basic problem - they're designed to make it easier for people to ignore the problem rather than treat it.

Randomly Specific
Sep 23, 2012

My keys are somewhere in there.

Jerusalem posted:

That's why I like it (and The Wire, obviously) because assigning right and wrong as labels is a simplistic solution to a complex problem. Hamsterdam is a HORRIBLE idea, a nightmare, an ugly and disgusting thing. But so is the alternative, and what Hamsterdam has going for it is that it takes all that ugliness and horror and it puts it all together in one place, giving you a concentrated look at exactly what was going on (and is STILL going on) in the world. Shutting down Hamsterdam and bulldozing the buildings is a bandaid/placebo to make people feel better about their "outrage", like something has been done. But the problem is still there, it's just spread out thinner.

The status quo and Hamsterdam are opposite ends of the spectrum but share the same basic problem - they're designed to make it easier for people to ignore the problem rather than treat it.

You get the real sense of that when Bunny takes the Deacon down to see it. Bunny is seeing what he's done overall for the Western District. He's thinking of the corners where they aren't having to pick up bodies, he's thinking of how the citizens can actually go out on the streets now. Because of that, he's somewhat blind to the horror of Hamsterdam. The Deacon comes in and sees that yeah maybe he's doing good elsewhere, but right there he has a swamp that's eating people.

+1 vote for 'bump' over 'buck'.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The scene with the Deacon being horrified at Hamsterdam was one of the lamest in the series imho. Like this streetwise deacon hasn't seen worse, or couldn't understand the good it was doing.

It would have made much more sense if it was a straightlaced city council member being shocked at *gasp* drugs being sold without threat of incarceration! Charity groups doing needle exchanges! The horror!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

the black husserl posted:

The scene with the Deacon being horrified at Hamsterdam was one of the lamest in the series imho. Like this streetwise deacon hasn't seen worse, or couldn't understand the good it was doing.

It would have made much more sense if it was a straightlaced city council member being shocked at *gasp* drugs being sold without threat of incarceration! Charity groups doing needle exchanges! The horror!

It was before there was needle exchanges and other health initiatives, that whole stuff happened after the Deacon saw all that and got Bunny connected with the health experts, youth workers and university people. He didn't think the whole idea was bad, just the fact that the cops were herding down drug dealers, addicts, prostitutes and hoppers in one single place and not doing anything to help them once they were there. You are remembering the order wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

It was before there was needle exchanges and other health initiatives, that whole stuff happened after the Deacon saw all that and got Bunny connected with the health experts, youth workers and university people. He didn't think the whole idea was bad, just the fact that the cops were herding down drug dealers, addicts, prostitutes and hoppers in one single place and not doing anything to help them once they were there. You are remembering the order wrong.

The Deacon still chides him after it gets shut down, though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

The Deacon still chides him after it gets shut down, though.

But not about it being a bad idea on it's own merits, but what was he really expecting would ensure from it?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Ive been crazy about this show for years and I cant believe it took me so long to look for a thread here. As a die-hard fan, can someone explain to me what the issue is with season 5? I hear alot of people say that they didnt care for it, and while it clearly wasnt up to snuff after how amazing season 4 was, I still found it incredibly original. The opening where Freamon and McNutty are hiding in the comm closet making the fake serial killer call always cracks me up.

Also:
"How my head look, man?"

"...it look good girl."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Benny D posted:

Ive been crazy about this show for years and I cant believe it took me so long to look for a thread here. As a die-hard fan, can someone explain to me what the issue is with season 5? I hear alot of people say that they didnt care for it, and while it clearly wasnt up to snuff after how amazing season 4 was, I still found it incredibly original. The opening where Freamon and McNutty are hiding in the comm closet making the fake serial killer call always cracks me up.

Also:
"How my head look, man?"

"...it look good girl."

To me, at least, the newspaper story is done in a far more heavy handed way than what you see elsewhere. It is perhaps the one "institutional" story where good guys and bad guys, right and wrong are clearly set apart, with very little gray. Which is not to say that it is a bad season. Just not nearly as good as the others.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Benny D posted:

Also:
"How my head look, man?"

"...it look good girl."

I thought the newspaper stuff was a bit dull, and McNulty's behavior I thought was a little too extreme for his character (at least the first faking the murder part, everything after fit his typical "oh poo poo what do I do now" sort of gimmick).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I thought the whole serial killer thing was just too far over the top, personally. It distracted from the realism of the show, I found.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Benny D posted:

S5's flaws are forgivable but greatly amplified by the poor acting among the newspaper staff. I'd assume they're mostly professionals, and they did generally worse than the people who weren't pro actors in other seasons. Gutierrez makes me really uncomfortable to watch, it's so embarrassing.

I think this was the 'realism problem' more than the outlandish plots.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Benny D posted:

"How my head look, man?"

"...it look good girl."

From a Nickelodeon show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYFzKbeIPA&t=1m40s

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

joepinetree posted:

To me, at least, the newspaper story is done in a far more heavy handed way than what you see elsewhere. It is perhaps the one "institutional" story where good guys and bad guys, right and wrong are clearly set apart, with very little gray. Which is not to say that it is a bad season. Just not nearly as good as the others.

Exactly. I honestly have more trouble with the newspaper plot than the fake serial killer, which at least provides a lot of black comedy. Gus is too much of an author insert (Bunny is also an author insert but for Ed Burns, yet he's much more fleshed out and interesting), and Gale Boetticher and the suspenders guy are too one dimensional. Simon just never got over the way things ended for him at the Sun, it seems. And as Sepinwall has pointed out, Scott Templeton seems exactly the sort of "bad apple" that the show fairly specifically portrays NOT as a thing in other institutions. (To this end, what really makes me despise that character is that his fabulism is indirectly responsible for destroying Daniels' career in the department - he makes up a quote about Daniels stabbing Burrell in the back, which infuriates Burrell to the point of not going quietly, and slipping Nerese Campbell the Daniels file before he leaves.)

It's really frustrating because the intrinsic message of season 5, which is entirely in subtext, is basically this, to quote Simon: if you think the media is ever going to give a poo poo about any of the sort of stories and problems portrayed on The Wire, think again. The most important thematic moments in season 5, by design, are blink-and-you-miss-it or nonexistent altogether - when Prop Joe dies, Gus doesn't recognize his name; the police department is falling apart because Carcetti chose to reject the state money and nobody reports on this; when the Marlo investigation shuts down, nobody from the paper even thinks about it. To me, this is just as powerful a message as any of the other 4, but it's not executed that well for the reasons above. And there are some potentially great stuff about the media that gets abandoned, like the whole "less is more" thing.

That said season 5 gets better the more I watch it. As I've said I always forget how much black comedy is in that season. And the ending, of course, is perfect.

Mind you I think season 4 was the best season of TV I've ever watched so it would have been impossible to follow up on that.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 7, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

escape artist posted:

Holy poo poo