Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I have that album as well but I still listen to Black Cascade more than anything else. To each his own, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Two Hunters is obviously the best. I love every second of that release.

(I listened to Black Cascade for the first time today though, and it was good. Southern Lord have finally put all of their stuff up on Spotify, woo!)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
You guys are forgetting their best album, Malevolent Grain :colbert:

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Everybody should know their self-titled demo is their best work, clearly.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

nomapple posted:

Two Hunters is obviously the best. I love every second of that release.

(I listened to Black Cascade for the first time today though, and it was good. Southern Lord have finally put all of their stuff up on Spotify, woo!)

Any album with both Vastness & Sorrow AND I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots gets my vote.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

QPZIL posted:

You guys are forgetting their best album, Malevolent Grain :colbert:

only LPs
but I really like Malevolent Grain

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
OK I listened to Diadem of 12 Stars again this afternoon, and although it is indeed brilliant, I'm sticking by Two Hunters.

Also whilst we're on WITTR discussion, you should probably download their set from Roadburn 2008 FOR FREE.

Also UK "post black metal" :shudder: project Caïna is writing again, has posted a sample of a new track, and wants votes for what formats the new album should be released on. The new track isn't BM at all, but I thought this was still relevant to people's interests. By the way Panopticon says his side of the Split with Vestiges is going to sound like On The Subject of Mortality but with better production. Given that album has some of my favourite Panopticon material on it, I am very excited. I'm still enjoying the hell out of Kentucky 10 or 11 months on.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
All y'all wrong cause Celestial Lineage is their best.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

They're just a joy, a real treasure.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nomapple posted:

I'm still enjoying the hell out of Kentucky 10 or 11 months on.

Given my continual adoration of Kentucky, I'm finally going to begin diving into their back catalog of splits and full lengths. Where should I begin?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm the guy who doesn't like WitTR. :cheers:

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Oldstench posted:

You would be entitled to your opinion if Face In A Night Time Mirror wasn't such a fantastic track. :colbert:

Vulich the Subtle fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 6, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Given my continual adoration of Kentucky, I'm finally going to begin diving into their back catalog of splits and full lengths. Where should I begin?

I would work backwards. The production on the early stuff is *really* ropey. The drum sound makes it almost unlistenable for me, and I listen to my fair share of badly produced BM. Anyway, I'd go:

Social Disservices, On The Subject of Mortality, Collapse (Kentucky is basically a better version of this, I'd love to hear it re-recorded though), s/t.

His splits are also really worth checking out. The ones with Wheels Within Wheels are very ambient. On the Subject of Mortality was released across 2 splits (one of which was with Skagos, which is essential IMO) and he says the new split he's working on with Vestiges is going to sound like On the Subject of Mortality with better production.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Oldstench posted:

:cheers: I don't like any of that sort of black metal either, I don't like the overall feel that they put together, the way their songwriting stagnated and wanders always loses my attention, and it seems like they're always afraid to make good use of a melody.

I really like the split that Verge and Blood Red Fog did in 2010. Verge's side sounds like slightly psychedelic hard rock with a really rough, abrasive edge and production. It's very loose, and the keyboards do a really good job of setting a certain feeling, I'm not sure what else it could even be compared to. The band has taken a bit of a different direction since the keyboard player left but they're still really good on "Sex and Violence".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKWqYI0ylkk

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

:cheers: I don't like any of that sort of black metal either,
Awesome. Let's listen to Inquisition and headbang.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Metal-Antiquarium-Pictures/324885054222568?sk=photos_stream

Holy moly

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

This may interest some of you:
http://www.drakkar666.com/drakkar/description.php?lang=2&path=2&letter=0&sort=A-Z&page=0&id=6105
http://www.drakkar666.com/drakkar/description.php?lang=2&path=2&letter=0&sort=A-Z&page=0&id=6104
http://www.drakkar666.com/drakkar/description.php?lang=2&path=2&letter=0&sort=A-Z&page=0&id=6103

CDs in stock at HHR, vinyl "soon".

Supposedly official re-releases, not boots.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Rad Thread. I was never really into black metal and this thread has helped a lot.

I found Ludicra from Spotify linked from some other Black Metal band, anyone dig them?

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I was honestly a bit disappointed by Kentucky, considering their earlier stuff, but I'm definitely in the minority for that. On the Subject of Mortality and their s/t are really good

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Awesome. Let's listen to Inquisition and headbang.

I like Inquisition and WITTR :/

thylacine posted:

Rad Thread. I was never really into black metal and this thread has helped a lot.

I found Ludicra from Spotify linked from some other Black Metal band, anyone dig them?

Ludicra rule.

e: If anyone is lucky enough to be at Nidrosian Black Mass right now, please bring back a report

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 8, 2013

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
Wow, 2013 already has an insane start in terms of black metal.

Already released/leaked/otherwise listenable by the general public

Verwustung - Tunnel Ghosts (Very ambient black metal one-man project from Cali)
Fen - Dustwalker (Great album, perhaps even better than Epoch)
Situs Magus - Le Grand Oeuvre (some awesome stuff here that I didn't know about until a few days ago.
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane (Not officially released for a while, but on youtube already, and it kills).

And, due to my habit of randomly losing track of things easily, the next album caught me completely by surprise, something I wasn't expecting at all.

FANISK - INSULARUM (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK)

On top of that, Paysage d'Hiver's "Das Tor" is finally set for release at the end of this month.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The latest Fen album is really amazing. Epoch was alright IMO, but this one... this one loving rules.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Weaponized Cum posted:

The latest Fen album is really amazing. Epoch was alright IMO, but this one... this one loving rules.

Yeah...the vocals in particular are an enormous step up. They're a hell of a lot more emotive than on Epoch and Malediction Fields.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Situs Magus - Le Grand Oeuvre (some awesome stuff here that I didn't know about until a few days ago.
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane (Not officially released for a while, but on youtube already, and it kills).

And, due to my habit of randomly losing track of things easily, the next album caught me completely by surprise, something I wasn't expecting at all.

FANISK - INSULARUM (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK)

On top of that, Paysage d'Hiver's "Das Tor" is finally set for release at the end of this month.

I thought the new Paysage d'Hiver already got released on cassette? Is this a CD release or another new release already?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

nomapple posted:

I thought the new Paysage d'Hiver already got released on cassette? Is this a CD release or another new release already?

No, the tape won't be released until the 22nd.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I liked this and now I get my feed spammed with photos every other hour. Didn't know there were so many from the early days. Interesting stuff! Also, it's always fun seeing grim as gently caress people as scrawny teenagers.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

gently caress I need to listen to Insularum. Noontide or whatever it was called was rad and surprisingly not overly cheesy

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Are Fanisk still fascists? I remember they had an album cover with a Swastika on it, i haven't seen something that blatantly NS in forever. These days NSBM is all runes, sunwheels and 'we're not Nazis, we're pagans'.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

Are Fanisk still fascists? I remember they had an album cover with a Swastika on it, i haven't seen something that blatantly NS in forever. These days NSBM is all runes, sunwheels and 'we're not Nazis, we're pagans'.

Noontide was definitely neo-nazi, rise-of-the-aryans sort of subject matter. It's been 10 years since that, and I think Insularum may actually be more about space and poo poo, so maybe they're space nazis (didn't stella arja do the same thing?)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Noontide was already more about like "Ariosophic" black sun/occult poo poo than anything actually objectionable - even the Hitler samples are pretty restrained. Insularum is as far as I can tell all about taking drugs and going on astral journeys; Stella Arja seems like a pretty good comparison. In general they seem to get less Nazified with every release.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Satyricon posted on Facebook they'll finally be going into the studio for a new album (it's been 5 years since The Age of Nero came out) with tentative release for September.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I'm just listening to Luror's 'The Iron Hand of Blackest Terror' again for the first time in years, and it's still some drat good raw/depressive black metal. I don't understand why his split with Nachtfalke hasn't become a cult-classic, the four Luror-tracks on there are all outstanding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LESATLWHPlU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New AOSOTH album announced:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

Satyricon posted on Facebook they'll finally be going into the studio for a new album (it's been 5 years since The Age of Nero came out) with tentative release for September.

Oh my loving god, I just punched the air. September is too long, it had better be worth it.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

nomapple posted:

New AOSOTH album announced:

Awesome, they've recently become a favorite. Looking forward to it!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Has anyone heard the entire Cult Of Fire album from last year? I've heard this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFit9A7HFY0

but I can't find the rest to listen to and an album needs to be pretty loving incredible for me to shell out $20...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Has anyone heard the entire Cult Of Fire album from last year? I've heard this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFit9A7HFY0

but I can't find the rest to listen to and an album needs to be pretty loving incredible for me to shell out $20...

Yeah, it's really good. Where are getting it from? I think Contagion Releasing has some LPs and CSs in stock, but their site is currently down for maintenance.
e: Their Soundcloud page has another track from the album as well:
https://soundcloud.com/cultoffire

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Oldstench posted:

Yeah, it's really good. Where are getting it from? I think Contagion Releasing has some LPs and CSs in stock, but their site is currently down for maintenance.
e: Their Soundcloud page has another track from the album as well:
https://soundcloud.com/cultoffire

The only place that I've found with it in stock is the label
http://demonhood.bigcartel.com/

I'm sure the band is too small to have any other real distribution. It'd be nice to not have to import it though.

edit: well this place has it slightly cheaper http://distro.todestrieb.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=5138
Still an assrape but what the hell, it's not like retirement is part of my future.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 14, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

The only place that I've found with it in stock is the label
http://demonhood.bigcartel.com/

I'm sure the band is too small to have any other real distribution. It'd be nice to not have to import it though.
I'm checking right now to see if Contagion still has any in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

For the record, the new Vreid album "Welcome Farewell" is actually good. It's far from grim and frostbitten but they've cut the keyboards quite a bit and they've got some pretty nasty guitar lines. For some reason I feel like the drumming is weaker than past albums but so far I like this quite a bit.

Definitely some black'n'roll going on but luckily they're doing it better than Satyricon ever will.