Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Fisher King posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I figured it sounded too good to be true to think that you took exactly the stats you had as class A into class B...

Yeah, I may have phrased that poorly. Whenever I said no penalties, I mean it doesn't adjust your stats to that of a level 1 unit. It just changes your stats to fight the class, which may mean some decreases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It can result in some pretty amusing gains (and losses). Going from Thief to Knight gives +9 defense, for example.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

The Fisher King posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I figured it sounded too good to be true to think that you took exactly the stats you had as class A into class B...

Its the reason you want to get Donny out of Villager asap.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Speaking of random class switching, is there anything Worth taking from Chrom's alternate class lines besides Luna in Great Knight?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

BrightWing posted:

Its the reason you want to get Donny out of Villager asap.

Yeah, Villager has -5's and -6's compared to his other options; unlike what you'd think Donnel actually has good base stats, it's just Villager loving with them.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
I think the way it works is that all classes provide a base stat boost. If the base for MAG is lower in the class you're switching to, that's why you lose MAG.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The stats drop because each class has a "base" set of stats which are layered on top of the characters actual stats. Changing your class alters those base stats. You'll lose the stats but only because those stats were a bonus from your class.

If you cap, say a stat in one class and then change to another class which has lower cap, you will have that stat capped as per the second class for as long as you are in that class. However, once you change to something with the same or a higher cap in that stat you will get back your original number!

With basic classes, the caps aren't that much different for the most part when you take into account the base stats (with a few exceptions). The main benefit to this is that you can't ever really lose the benefit from those precious, precious level-ups.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

404GoonNotFound posted:

Speaking of random class switching, is there anything Worth taking from Chrom's alternate class lines besides Luna in Great Knight?

You can become a fairly good archer if you go Sniper-> Bow Knight! And if you grind that all out before Chapter 13 you can pass Bowbreaker on to his kid and she can fly around as a Pegasus/Wyvern with impunity!

(No, he's got some of the worst reclass options he could possibly have. Aegis and Defender can be decent if underwhelming)

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?
Joining the Donny chat to say that he has become unkillable, has a weapon that allows him to 4x anybody that will never run out because of Armsthrift and his capped 48 Luck, and happens to be married to a rabbit assassin lady who is also unkillable. Their child will be an unstoppable force of eugenics. Oddly enough, I noticed that the ones who were reclassed at least once before promotion were the ones that became really strong, so yeah.

Also, I don't know if this has been said yet, but read through the little Barracks greetings when you get the chance, because they are awesome. And it changes based on what time it is, too!

Stylo
May 17, 2010

Zore posted:

You can become a fairly good archer if you go Sniper-> Bow Knight! And if you grind that all out before Chapter 13 you can pass Bowbreaker on to his kid and she can fly around as a Pegasus/Wyvern with impunity!

(No, he's got some of the worst reclass options he could possibly have. Aegis and Defender can be decent if underwhelming)

What level would you recommend promoting him into Sniper? Bowbreaker offspring sounds rad and I'm in chapter 7 or 8

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

That doesn't work. Chrom will always pass down Aether to daughters and Rightful King to sons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Stylo posted:

What level would you recommend promoting him into Sniper? Bowbreaker offspring sounds rad and I'm in chapter 7 or 8

That suggestion was sarcasm. If you could grind out 30 promoted levels before Chapter 13 you're some kind of crazy person because that could easily take ten full hours without any grinding DLC released. Also Chrom doesn't actually pass down anything but Aether/Rightful King to Daughters or Sons respectively.

Do it with Virion or Tharja or someone else with the Archer class if you want, but if you want to get the kid before literally the end of the game just go to Bow Knight first and grab it. Level 15 promoted skills take forever to get to.

To put it in perspective, I just beat the game and my Cordelia who went into Dark Flier about as quickly as possible got Galeforce 4 maps before the end of the game. And it crippled her stats to promote her that early.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Yeah, you can't use Chrom to pass down skills. It's all about grinding up the mother, in which case, one child will get screwed a little, unless you grind like a maniac.

e: Galeforce is absolutely a post-game skill. No way it's worth killing your stats for it, since the extra attack is useless if you die :colbert:

...There is one thing I find amusing about this game and the level up comments. I think the characters can tell the difference between an empty level when you haven't capped any stats, and an empty level when it's because you have no stats left to gain.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Red Metal posted:

That doesn't work. Chrom will always pass down Aether to daughters and Rightful King to sons.

Which is awesome, because if you plan it right you can end up with four distinct Aether users in your army.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zore posted:

To put it in perspective, I just beat the game and my Cordelia who went into Dark Flier about as quickly as possible got Galeforce 4 maps before the end of the game. And it crippled her stats to promote her that early.

Keep in mind this is going to be based on your difficulty. If you're on Normal, it's pretty easy.

Edit: Reeking Boxes is why. They're cheaper than the bullion you get from enemies on Normal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 7, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Zore posted:

I'd just like to point out that Ricken (or was it Henry?) can only reclass to Knight or Cavalier.

Really.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'd just like to point out that Ricken (or was it Henry?) can only reclass to Knight or Cavalier.

Really.

Ricken's Cavalier & Archer, so is tied in terms of shittiness. Henry gets the marginally better options of Barbarian (really?) and Thief.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
I don't really know how it happened, but on hard my Cordelia already has gale force. She hit 20 in pegasus knight as well and is now a level 5 sorceror. Her paired up griffon rider Virion have been dominating these chapters. I'm on chapter 17, but she's had it since maybe chapter 13-14ish.

Mistafab fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 7, 2013

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
How are you guys missing the best one? Tharja: Archer, Knight

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Zore posted:

I saw that when reclassing Tharja and then just reclassed her into her original class, which apparently you can do, and it sets them back to level 1.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Zore posted:

Still have no idea how she came in 3rd in the female character popularity poll (spoilers, of course).

Hell, Nowi & Severa are in the top 10 and Sully's in the bottom 5. Japan is all kinds of weird. The male side's okay though. MOTHERFUCKING OWAIN! :hellyeah:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Still have no idea how she came in 3rd in the female character popularity poll (spoilers, of course).

To be crass, I can think of two reasons.

Also what the hell, how is Flavia at the bottom?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, so annoyed. I finally got pass the first sidequest where you meet Donnel, but couldn't level him up due to units softing the enemies for him doing a dual strike and killing the enemy instead. And now I found out I have to redo the level if I want to keep him.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Cake Attack posted:

To be crass, I can think of two reasons.

She arrives way too late and has poo poo for supports?

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

I LIED
She really doesn't come all that late. Her supports with Donnel at least are actually pretty cute.

But yeah the reason she's so popular is her breasts/outfit.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Man the Lon'qu / Panne romance is hilarious. Both of them have no idea how to interact with anyone, at all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I'm on Chapter 7 on Hard Mode, and holy poo poo, this is impossible. No matter how fast I try to go, those Wyvern reinforcements just swoop in and murder someone. Of all the things you could take from 6, why new enemies being able to move instantly?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I think, of the pairings I did, Vaike/Cherche is my favorite one.

You know its special when you start with someone wrestling a Wyvern.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

DarthDoubleMarth posted:

She really doesn't come all that late. Her supports with Donnel at least are actually pretty cute.

I was talking about Flavia there, not Tharja.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

So I'm on Chapter 7 on Hard Mode, and holy poo poo, this is impossible. No matter how fast I try to go, those Wyvern reinforcements just swoop in and murder someone. Of all the things you could take from 6, why new enemies being able to move instantly?

Clear out the units who initially charge at you and then make a box around the 1x3 space where they spawn (the topmost wyvern spawns on a mountain tile and the bottom two on normal tiles, for reference). I think the entire map starts to charge at you once the reinforcements spawn so watch out.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Was hoping to avoid having to do that kind of thing. Oh well.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

I LIED

404GoonNotFound posted:

I was talking about Flavia there, not Tharja.

Oh yeah Flavia does arrive too drat late. It's a shame too, I think she's a cool character. Still I think she deserves to be higher up in the list.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

It's better (worse?) in the later chapters, where 25 speed Falconknights spawn on the sides of a narrow map, so the first time you're pretty much screwed.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, just finished beating the game on lunatic and I was really dissapointed by the last third or so of the game. By the end my army was completely useless. Every level I was just sending in a pair of dark mages to clear out dozens of enemies like some sort of WMD. But it seems like it would be really hard to do without dark magic, since the enemies are so mobile, there's so many weapon types, and you really need a lot of resist not to get crushed by the mages.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

Strong, independent women are scary in Japan I guess. But then again so are manly men to begin with like her counterpart too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hey, I'm gunning for an OliviaxChrom kid this run and just asking, if Chrom's other supports are married then Olivia is automatic S by the end of the chapter, right? It doesn't matter if Chrom has a C/B/A with all the other girls once they have their own husband?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Roguelike posted:

Well, just finished beating the game on lunatic and I was really dissapointed by the last third or so of the game. By the end my army was completely useless. Every level I was just sending in a pair of dark mages to clear out dozens of enemies like some sort of WMD. But it seems like it would be really hard to do without dark magic, since the enemies are so mobile, there's so many weapon types, and you really need a lot of resist not to get crushed by the mages.

You can actually get the soloing gravy train going as early as chapter 8 or so. Veteran is a dumb skill, and as soon as your get Rally Spectrum (so you can pass it on to Lucina), Avatar swaps into sorcerer and spams nosferatu for the rest of the game.

Tae posted:

Hey, I'm gunning for an OliviaxChrom kid this run and just asking, if Chrom's other supports are married then Olivia is automatic S by the end of the chapter, right? It doesn't matter if Chrom has a C/B/A with all the other girls once they have their own husband?

You need at least one support point with Olivia or he'll marry a random village girl, but otherwise yeah.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Right. He does need to have at least some support points with her though or it'll default to a faceless village girl, so pair them up and get in at least one fight during the chapter.

When I paired them I just avoided all his other marriage partners like the plague until after Chapter 11.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Ricken's Cavalier & Archer, so is tied in terms of shittiness. Henry gets the marginally better options of Barbarian (really?) and Thief.

Barbarian makes perfect sense for Henry personality-wise (he's bloodthirsty and loves hanging out with animals) and is actually a decent complement to dark magi as well. Barbarians get good speed growths and hp, which dark mages are usually lacking, and they get bonus crit. Henry with Hex, Anathema, Gamble, Wrath, and a Ruin tome (plus a supporting character, naturally) can get drat near 100% hit/crit rate. Thief is there because it makes more sense than Myrmidon as a way to get him to Assassin, which is similarly a good match for his personality.

I can't really defend Tharja's alternate classes, though. Neither really seem to fit her personality and neither really help her stats all that much (dark mages already get pretty decent defense), although I suppose one could make an argument for Patience to offset dark magic's pretty terrible accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait can you marry Lucina and Orwain? Aren't they cousins?

• Locked thread